Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Wolf thing was mostly to avoid any possible issues with Leblanc's estate, assuming anyone cared enough to bother, which considering how quickly it was dropped no one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Sometimes, unbidden, I remember Sayla's inexplicably nordic accent in the dub of the original gundam movies. Char didn't have anything like it either, totally out of place

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Char was neutral Steve Blum. Bright was British which actually made sense since he's from Hong Kong.

And I'll always advocate for keeping old dubs available and not letting them vanish into the ether. It's like older editions of Star Wars. They have their place in the cultural memory and we should preserve them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 14, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mister Olympus posted:

Sometimes, unbidden, I remember Sayla's inexplicably nordic accent in the dub of the original gundam movies. Char didn't have anything like it either, totally out of place
lmao i wonder if the dub vocal director even blinked when it’s revealed that they are siblings who were raised together. they clearly just looked at the first scene she was in and said “yeah that girl looks scandinavian. let’s spice this up a bit and see if anyone can do an accent.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbHXZOkh3s

Gundammit Frau, that's one sassy slap from Bright.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenementFunster posted:

i mean, WOLF?! whose idea was that?
Lupin, Lupon, Lupine

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Lupin, Lupon, Lupine
yes i’m aware of the etymology. it is an insane creative license to just give a decades-old character a new nickname out of nowhere for exactly one movie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Char was neutral Steve Blum. Bright was British which actually made sense since he's from Hong Kong.

And I'll always advocate for keeping old dubs available and not letting them vanish into the ether. It's like older editions of Star Wars. They have their place in the cultural memory and we should preserve them.

Like the myriad of Dragon Ball dubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqERby-IQEA&t=153s

Sadly most bad dubs aren't this funny. I remember this studio in Asia dubbed stuff into English. I know this because before Viz or Funimation released Inuyash The Final Act or Fairy Tail, these folks did it. But they're just terrible and not even haha terrible.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TenementFunster posted:

lmao i wonder if the dub vocal director even blinked when it’s revealed that they are siblings who were raised together. they clearly just looked at the first scene she was in and said “yeah that girl looks scandinavian. let’s spice this up a bit and see if anyone can do an accent.”

I do like the idea of giving the white base crew a few accents, as a choice. It sells a certain star trek vibe. that one was just "whoops"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mister Olympus posted:

I do like the idea of giving the white base crew a few accents, as a choice. It sells a certain star trek vibe. that one was just "whoops"
its the typical level of "not paid enough to care" along with the clear lack of interaction between the original creators and the dub companies that comes with a ton of old dubs. nowadays with simulcasting + sony/netflix budgets, i take it that dubs are more likely to have somebody around from the original production company to tell the dub cast, "hey, maybe make this girl sound more like that guy for reasons you'll discover in the next movie"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That method has its benefits but then you also get stuff like Khara micromanaging the life out of their preferred English version of Eva. There needs to be some breathing room to allow an adaptation to find its own voice rather than just mimic the original. Otherwise what's the point?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

yes i’m aware of the etymology. it is an insane creative license to just give a decades-old character a new nickname out of nowhere for exactly one movie

I'm like 85% sure the Wolf nickname was used in one of the many English dubs for Secret of Mamo too.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 15, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

its the typical level of "not paid enough to care" along with the clear lack of interaction between the original creators and the dub companies that comes with a ton of old dubs. nowadays with simulcasting + sony/netflix budgets, i take it that dubs are more likely to have somebody around from the original production company to tell the dub cast, "hey, maybe make this girl sound more like that guy for reasons you'll discover in the next movie"

I know that coordination happens with games more these days (the writer of the visual novel I’m playing rn is bilingual and helps with dub casting and writing the bad puns in the English script) but it probably doesn’t happen so much with anime because when you think about it there’s probably some bad crunch on the JP side of anime anyway.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbHXZOkh3s

Gundammit Frau, that's one sassy slap from Bright.

The funniest part of this is still how much Bright loves slapping around a conscripted teenager tbh.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Combat Lobster posted:

I'm like 85% sure the Wolf nickname was used in one of the many English dubs for Secret of Mamo too.
Streamline did a few bad lupin dubs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NikkolasKing posted:

Death Note being old school anime makes me feel old...school. I was thinking like 80s, maybe 90s.

Like Fushigi Yuugi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrz0e9BGaJs

Huge anime music nerd and FY has one of the all time great and underrated soundtracks. David Hayter of Solid Snake fame voiced the male lead in the dub which is at least part of why I first watched it initially. But I'm glad i did since it has a lot more going for it than that.

I never got around to Fushigi Yuugi but I remembering stumbling onto the op and falling it love with it. It's on one of my random CD-Rs with a ton of old anime songs burnt onto it that I used to listen to in the car.

Older anime OPs/EDs really do hit different.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Just blew through all of Bubblegum Crisis and Crash.

Crisis is loving great. Stereo cranked, adult beverage in hand, makes your balls feel like concrete. Too bad it's unfinished though because Crash sucks rear end (though it does have a GREAT opening theme).

Now I wanna pull up a gun on some anime exec to finally force them into adapting Cannon God Exaxxion.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Now I wanna pull up a gun on some anime exec to finally force them into adapting Cannon God Exaxxion.
it is SUCH a bad sign that the new Gunsmith Cats/Riding Bean hasn’t made it over here yet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Death Note being old school anime makes me feel old...school. I was thinking like 80s, maybe 90s.

Like Fushigi Yuugi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrz0e9BGaJs

Huge anime music nerd and FY has one of the all time great and underrated soundtracks. David Hayter of Solid Snake fame voiced the male lead in the dub which is at least part of why I first watched it initially. But I'm glad i did since it has a lot more going for it than that.

Pretty sure the whole dub is available on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk-pHBxKL4&t=1124s

And then everyone died horribly.

The moment when Tamahome yells out a battle cry and suddenly everything clicks into place

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vandar posted:

I never got around to Fushigi Yuugi but I remembering stumbling onto the op and falling it love with it. It's on one of my random CD-Rs with a ton of old anime songs burnt onto it that I used to listen to in the car.

Older anime OPs/EDs really do hit different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

I used to talk to a guy who was a fellow Inuyasha fan but he also loved all Takahashi stuff and through that we got to KOR which was a rival to her Maison Ikkoku. Absolutely stunning music by the Eva and Bleach guy and of course that OP is so wondeerfully 80s.

KOR was popular with the early generation of anime nerds outside of Japan from what I can tell. Specifically, if comments on YT are anything to go by, mostly South American anime fans. Some anime really hit it big there but not over here in the States, like Saint Seiya.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So my first anime series was Ranma (in the states) and I grabbed every VHS I could find. So I ended up seeing a lot of trailers for ikkoku but my local video store didn't have it to rent. They did have I think the first vol of KOR though as I remember renting it but not really anything about it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If you weren't into the VHS fansub scene it was easy to miss KOR but if you were into VHS fansubs it was one of the big series

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Vampire Knight

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

Vampire Knight

I dunno if Twilight was ever big in Japan but surely the popularity of Vampire Knig0ht at least explains why the Shinsengumi are vampires in Hakuoki.

But I never read or watched VK. My GF did though. The only series she was into that I got into that is part of that kind of gothic romance subgenre is Angel Sanctuary. Terrible, terrible OVAs but the manga was very pretty.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Both Vampire Knight and Angel Sanctuary were part of my mainstay trashy shojo manga choices. They both were dumb, edgy and ridiculous in a way that I still think of fondly. Plus Angel Sanctuary was really pretty. You better believe I also read Mayu Shinjou manga but felt a little more guilty about those ones.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean Vampire's have been around Manga and anime even before Vampire Knight see Vampire Princess Miyu

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The dub for the AS anime is also terrible despite having Crispin Freeman as the main villain. But one good thing that came out of it is the anecdote he told about how a kid saw the OVA and then emailed him asking "can you tell my mom it's okay I'm in love with my cousin?"

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Both Vampire Knight and Angel Sanctuary were part of my mainstay trashy shojo manga choices. They both were dumb, edgy and ridiculous in a way that I still think of fondly. Plus Angel Sanctuary was really pretty. You better believe I also read Mayu Shinjou manga but felt a little more guilty about those ones.

Kaori Yuki is a lot of fun partly because "shojo" - just like all "girly stuff" - makes a certain image appear in people's minds. But her stuff like AS is full of blood and violence hosed up poo poo, while also being extremely well-drawn.

She was really sick and in the hospital I think earlier this year, I found out on ANN after she was already out of the hospital but glad she's recovering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks like David Bowie and his boyfriend David Bowie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what 'shoujo' used to mean in the 80's & 90's

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I’m so far out of touch with modern anime/manga that I just realized I have no idea what modern shoujo looks like.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I hadn't thought about it until stumbling on a youtube video on Shoujo anime. According to it, shoujo-targeted anime just isn't being made anymore, and most of it got turned into live-action series and movies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That’s honestly kind of depressing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's just not true. Video is probably assuming Shoujo is typical high school romance and ignoring that it's evolved over the years due to changing tastes, rise of otome games, and also the rise of light novels/genres blending together.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
we’re all fujoshis now

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Found the video after some history searching. I saw it a few months back so my recollection of it might not be 100% accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY39RGRO1i0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Combat Lobster posted:

Found the video after some history searching. I saw it a few months back so my recollection of it might not be 100% accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY39RGRO1i0

This was a really interesting video, thank you for sharing.

Going back to Fushigi Yuugi, despite its popularity, getting an anime along with three OVAs (two of which were completely original stories), Genbu Kaiden never gotr an anime and I suspect Watase's final FY spinoff won't, either.

And of course things are even more bleak for us dub watchers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually I'd think odds are probably better for a new FY than they would be in the past given the trend for redoing or revisting old 80's/90's shows for either a new series or a reboot. I mean we got a new Tokyo Mew Mew anime this season of all things!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

With the spooky season looming, where were you when you first saw the seminal late '90's anime classic, Scooby Doo on Zombie Island?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I watched it with my bro like 12 years ago! Hell of a film. Scooby-Doo! and the Witch’s Ghost was cool too, and I love Mystery Inc.

For spooky time, my fav is the ever blood pumpin' VHD Bloodlust. I got a dramatized audio version of Book 2 for that series recently too. Plus the novels, the manga adaptation, lotta VHD to check out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

With the spooky season looming, where were you when you first saw the seminal late '90's anime classic, Scooby Doo on Zombie Island?

Heavy Metal posted:

I watched it with my bro like 12 years ago! Hell of a film. Scooby-Doo! and the Witch’s Ghost was cool too, and I love Mystery Inc.

Cartoon Network ran some Scooby Doo Marathon in the late 90s or early 2000s with a theme around Blair Witch Project and I think this might have been the debut of Witch's Ghost? I adore that movie. Jennifer Hale and Tim Curry are in it, of course it ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Cartoon Network ran some Scooby Doo Marathon in the late 90s or early 2000s with a theme around Blair Witch Project and I think this might have been the debut of Witch's Ghost? I adore that movie. Jennifer Hale and Tim Curry are in it, of course it ruled.

Honestly, I remember the Blair Witch spoof more than the movies. It was also the first time I heard Shaggy's real name, Norville.