Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If they manage to get LFTRs off the ground, I'll eat my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Chabuduobyl ☢️

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Awkward posted:

Chabuduobyl ☢️

Too many good thread titles!

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Dandywalken posted:

I trust China to handle it fine tbh

Ditto. My expectation is that the building is competent enough but during operation, crews are exposed to unhealthy levels of radiation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Chernobyl with Chinese characteristics.

不好不可怕

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
A video of a kid (I guess around age 10?) allegedly strangling his grandmother to death has been making the rounds of different China social spheres, including the Chinese-language subs and r/China. Now it's on r/all. There was a part two follow-up video which is just an extension of what happened after the first video stopped, but it was basically just the other lady beating the crap out of the kid next to the limp grandma.

So far I haven't been able to find any confirmation of about what really happened, but I think it's safe to safe grandma is dead. The woman beating the kid instead of helping grandma is just...yep.

NSFW/NSFL/DEATH

https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/xcixod/old_woman_was_beating_a_boy_then_he_suddenly/

Generational trauma is a very real problem in China, and it seems like most of the Chinese I met had some super screwed up stories about their childhood, school and work life, friends, or family members that involved some form of terrible abuse. Physical violence within the family was very common. Bullying in school was--and still is--out of control. Narcissism, in my opinion, is built into the modern culture, because it works so well with saving and losing face. Self-esteem issues seemed very common, too. Everyone has stories about being treated like garbage, being bullied, having problems at work and home, wherever. Whenever someone told me "I don't like X person in my family," I always knew it meant that person did something horrific to them and those feelings of hate were well deserved.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I trust China to handle it fine cover up any accidents tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I don’t think that’s long enough to choke somebody to death.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don’t think that’s long enough to choke somebody to death.

Yeah, I suspect she didn't die. I think that's just some poo poo that got added by whatever. I mostly am thinking, people put videos on the Internet for whatever reason but if grandma died I don't think they'd be so careless with the video of their child killing grandma.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5RZ8k6iQik

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Yeah, I suspect she didn't die. I think that's just some poo poo that got added by whatever. I mostly am thinking, people put videos on the Internet for whatever reason but if grandma died I don't think they'd be so careless with the video of their child killing grandma.

Oh man do I have some news for you about what people are willing to put on the internet.

She looks hella dead fam

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Didn't click link. Just put up a poll and I'll trust the result.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Oh man do I have some news for you about what people are willing to put on the internet.

She looks hella dead fam

It takes 3+ minutes if you cut off the air supply and cut off the blood supply on both sides.

I think. It's not like I've killed old ladies or anybody else before, I always just heard it was way harder to kill somebody than you imagine, not way easier.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It takes 3+ minutes if you cut off the air supply.
I think..

That's a good guideline from the age-old "Rule of Threes". Likely as not someone with real medical knowledge can tell me how dumb those are.

3 mins no oxygen
3 days no water
3 weeks no food

Obviously they're only a guide and have a whole slew of caveats (good health going in being one of them).

With the no oxygen rule, I was told it refers to brain death and revival after that point means damage up to and including complete vegetative state is probable.

With the granny in question, I guess it would depend on how much warm-water she has had that day and whether they was any day-old rice in her diet.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
An air choke you still have circulation to the brain so it can still receive oxygen and dump CO2 for a good few minutes before you even pass out. It's the same as holding your breath.

A blood choke stops blood from travelling to the brain and can potentially be fatal after twenty seconds (obviously becoming more and more likely as it is extended,) and on average it takes about nine seconds to make someone pass out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Commoners posted:

An air choke you still have circulation to the brain so it can still receive oxygen and dump CO2 for a good few minutes before you even pass out. It's the same as holding your breath.

A blood choke stops blood from travelling to the brain and can potentially be fatal after twenty seconds (obviously becoming more and more likely as it is extended,) and on average it takes about nine seconds to make someone pass out.

These old ladies need to learn the power of Hulkamania

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

url posted:

That's a good guideline from the age-old "Rule of Threes". Likely as not someone with real medical knowledge can tell me how dumb those are.

3 mins no oxygen
3 days no water
3 weeks no food

Obviously they're only a guide and have a whole slew of caveats (good health going in being one of them).

With the no oxygen rule, I was told it refers to brain death and revival after that point means damage up to and including complete vegetative state is probable.

With the granny in question, I guess it would depend on how much warm-water she has had that day and whether they was any day-old rice in her diet.

The buildup was worth it for the last sentence

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel sorry for granny

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Same thing happened to one of their classical music stars a few years ago. Pretty common tactic in the entertainment/fashion industry lately:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59005937

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
What happens when you go to war and get your rear end kicked by a supposedly weaker neighbor that you were supposed to walk all over?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1570034869761179650

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Re: grandma chat.

She was/looked old as dirt. Small, frail, probably had a bunch of age-related issues (anemia, weak bones, etc.). When the video hit r/all, some posters said the position she was in (on her knees, head held lower than her heart) was basically a "give someone brain damage" choke hold, which could eventually kill someone if they didn't receive immediately medical attention. Add her age to that and, welp:

https://www.orientaldaily.com.my/news/international/2022/09/14/512179

(Machine translation)

quote:

Killing because of dissatisfaction with corporal punishment? 10-year-old grandson strangled grandmother to suffocation

According to Chinese media reports, it is understood that the grandson seems to have been instigated by other friends to act on his grandmother.

At present, the grandson and three companions have been arrested.

Video showed up somewhere of the kid and his friends doing the perp walk. Jailed for murder at age 10, with the other three kids being accomplices to murder for wanting to make a cool video to put online.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What happens when you go to war and get your rear end kicked by a supposedly weaker neighbor that you were supposed to walk all over?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1570034869761179650
Central Asian nations have been stuck between a rock and a hard place since their independence. With Iran and Afghanistan to the south, regional trading partners are basically limited to sucking up to Russia or sucking up to China. Due to most countries already using Russian as a lingua franca, they have retained their ties to Russia, but the Ukraine-Russia war has definitely scared the ex-Soviet countries into seeing Russia as a wildcard operator, especially if Putin has dreams of reunited the USSR. Kazakhstan is very oil rich, along with having a good supply of uranium. They (the government of KZ) stand to make a lot of money off China, but I'm not sure how much of that will trickle down to the plebs all still living in commie blocks. Bummer for them to have to lean on China, but it seems like nobody else in the area would be willing to stand up with them, so I guess it has to happen.

According to the translated AliExpress comments, it seems like shipping from China to Central Asia takes just as long as it does to the US for all that cheap poo poo, lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PITY BONER posted:

According to the translated AliExpress comments, it seems like shipping from China to Central Asia takes just as long as it does to the US for all that cheap poo poo, lol.

There's not a lot of traffic. I always wanted to go to Uzbekistan but the only place that had flights was via Incheon (there are a fair number of Koreans in Central Asia so it fits), and they were like $3000 tickets.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Central Asia is towards the top of places I want to visit, regret not doing it when I was living in China. Sadly it seems that with a weak Russia it is likely that region is likely to head for instability soon.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So I dont really get it.

So russia shows weakness lol with ukraine and now china is gonna be more friendly with the neighbors?

I thought china wanted the russia energy etc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Null

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 15, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

China will have no issue getting everything it wants from Russia now that they have no more conventional forces to speak of, no economy, and no one but China to trade with who doesn't hate them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fish and chips and dip posted:

Central Asia is towards the top of places I want to visit, regret not doing it when I was living in China.

That $3000 was the price from China. I just couldn't do it. I thought about trying to go overland from like Lanzhou to Samarkand but that was daunting even for me.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That $3000 was the price from China. I just couldn't do it. I thought about trying to go overland from like Lanzhou to Samarkand but that was daunting even for me.

What we wanted to do was overland from Kashgar or Urumqi to Tbilisi or Istanbul when leaving China, that would be like 3-4 months. Instead we ended up doing South East Asia as well as Egypt, Turkey and some places in Europe for 9 months after leaving China. Amazing trip but I still dream of Central Asia.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

What we wanted to do was overland from Kashgar or Urumqi to Tbilisi or Istanbul when leaving China, that would be like 3-4 months. Instead we ended up doing South East Asia as well as Egypt, Turkey and some places in Europe for 9 months after leaving China. Amazing trip but I still dream of Central Asia.

How was south east asia did you go through lao?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

How was south east asia did you go through lao?

No, not Laos we went to Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore, we traveled quite slow and just spent longer time in one place. In Thailand we went to Phuket, Krabi and Bangkok. in Phuket we stayed at a local area and not where tourist were, the food was amazing and when you asked for spicy they gave you exactly what you asked for. No tourist-spicy in that area, as opposed to Krabi. Bangkok was ok, I was very used to large Asian cities by then.

In Indonesia we were in Lombok and Bali. Bali while very touristy was still a really cool place to visit, we stayed in the mountains away from the worst of the drunk and loud crowds of Kuta. Singapore we only did 3 days, it was enough lol.

We also did Taiwan during that trip, while not tecnically SE Asia the east side of the island was amazing, lovely place.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

PITY BONER posted:

Re: grandma chat.

Well drat I am on a streak of "being wrong" these days.

Shoulda seen the 2nd video, that one makes me think "yep, dead"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Well you shouldn't hit children anyways.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Well you shouldn't hit children anyways.

I mean, definitely not *those* children. Demonstrably.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a relative of mine used to do rural agricultural consulting in Tajikistan. the last time he arrived, he was immediately surrounded by AK-47s and so was pretty easily convinced to get on the next plane out of the country. this turned out to be a flight to Kazakhstan.

when he arrived in Kazakhstan, he was immediately surrounded by AK-47s, etc. this turned out to be a flight to Turkey.

from there he flew home. he still doesn't know what the gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

a relative of mine used to do rural agricultural consulting in Tajikistan. the last time he arrived, he was immediately surrounded by AK-47s

Oh really? Are you sure they weren't Chinese Type 56-2s? :smugmrgw:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
article about xi and putin meeting

https://www.reuters.com/world/putin-xi-set-meet-thursday-samarkand-2022-09-15/

besides saying china is a rising power to putin, blah blah

this jumped out.

quote:

As the West tries to reduce its reliance on Russian energy, Putin is seeking to boost exports to China and Asia, possibly with a pipeline through Mongolia.

Pipe lines take years to build

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ups_rail posted:

article about xi and putin meeting

https://www.reuters.com/world/putin-xi-set-meet-thursday-samarkand-2022-09-15/

besides saying china is a rising power to putin, blah blah

this jumped out.

Pipe lines take years to build

"The best time to plant an oil pipeline to anywhere except Germany was ten years ago.

The second-best time is today."

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

China has, shall we say, a recent surplus of expendable 'workers' to sacrifice employ to get their half of the pipeline built a little bit quicker, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
in their eyes workers are just a number. it's gonna be fine as long as they "still" have it