Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Life Seeded is an amazing background if your neighbour uses it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Do leaders gain xp when they’re inactive?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Do leaders gain xp when they’re inactive?

I think they do if you are a progenitor hive. Otherwise no.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antillie posted:

I think they do if you are a progenitor hive. Otherwise no.

Yeah, that's why I tend to stick scientists I don't need at the moment (but maybe later) in ships to "help" random colonies, as this way they at least still collect exp even if the planet they're boosting has zero science output.

It's also useful to know if you get event-gifted admirals, because sticking them as commanders into your event-gifted fleets means they too can still collect their paychecks

Governors are far more of a headache, as very obviously it's really obnoxious to create an entire new sector just to get your unemployed governors a job.

The day envoys get upgraded to full leader status will probably force everyone playing genocidal empires into running constant spy missions for their envoys, just in case they later need a high-level one for something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does research assistance even give xp? It sure doesn’t feel like it sometimes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

hobbesmaster posted:

Does research assistance even give xp? It sure doesn’t feel like it sometimes.

It does, but fairly slowly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Any tips or tricks for starting out for expansion? I can never seem to catch up the AI in size. I usually run into an influence wall or don’t get to choke points in time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Any tips or tricks for starting out for expansion? I can never seem to catch up the AI in size. I usually run into an influence wall or don’t get to choke points in time.

Personally, I keep one ship surveying close to home, and then make multiple ships I send out exploring (not surveying) looking for choke points, other aliens, and systems I can't get through without a fight.

For influence, you might need to make a bigger fleet, even if it goes over your naval cap, until you max out at 2 influence/month from fleet power.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

"More science ships" sums up most of the early expansion game. I'll usually have three or four ships exploring to find the choke points, then a couple ships surveying the route to those choke points with a construction ship following them. Set your first contact policy to proactive and try to be the first to establish communications for that influence bonus. Once you've established boundaries you can bring those explorer ships back to survey the rest of your space or start archeology digs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I usually like the RP-focused Origins and this one looks more fun and thematic than most.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1569645766876008450

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Anno posted:

I usually like the RP-focused Origins and this one looks more fun and thematic than most.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1569645766876008450

Yea it sounds so interesting, really excited to have a go with it.

I've just done the rubricator dig line and because the not-controlled-by-me Fed fleet destroyed Shard I didn't get anything. How poo poo is that! I had no idea it worked that way.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
rping space opera stories is the only reason i would load this thing up these days so i welcome more rp oriented story type stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really hope that after Toxids they do an expansion of more Archeology/Leviathan stuff
I know that they refuse to do expansions that build on other ones but please, come on - that's the really interesting stuff.

I feel like the overlord stuff is pretty messy

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Taear posted:

I really hope that after Toxids they do an expansion of more Archeology/Leviathan stuff
I know that they refuse to do expansions that build on other ones but please, come on - that's the really interesting stuff.

I want Distant Stars 2: Distanter Starser

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

I want Distant Stars 2: Distanter Starser

Where's the M, N, O and P-Clusters Paradox

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

I want them to go back over a bunch of the old stuff and update it to include situations/archaeology stuff. Like give each precursor a couple of archaeology digs, or put one on their homeworld. Or port some of the wonky chains and special projects to situations.

e: they've done that for a few things but, you know, more.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Where's the M, N, O and P-Clusters Paradox
L1, L2, J, and K.

But seriously multiple L clusters would be great. Even if they just each held one of the four existing options. Both being tempests or drakes would of course be an option.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

Their general pattern seems to be to have a big DLC for a particular gimmick and a themed smattering of that gimmick in every other expansion, including backporting with the custodians. Because the custodians are a relatively recent this though its inconsistent, and megastructures are probably the worst culprits. Megacorp and Federations are especially egregious.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

I want them to go back over a bunch of the old stuff and update it to include situations/archaeology stuff. Like give each precursor a couple of archaeology digs, or put one on their homeworld. Or port some of the wonky chains and special projects to situations.

e: they've done that for a few things but, you know, more.

L1, L2, J, and K.

But seriously multiple L clusters would be great. Even if they just each held one of the four existing options. Both being tempests or drakes would of course be an option.

Imagine a procedurally generated dungeon except it's L-Clusters which have their own L-Gates which lead to "deeper" L-Clusters

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Imagine a procedurally generated dungeon except it's L-Clusters which have their own L-Gates which lead to "deeper" L-Clusters
Imagine four L-Clusters on the edge of a singularity. The worm loves you the same way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-267-3-5-fornax-patch-notes-ai-performance-and-modding.1542303/

Patch. Good stuff, performance increases, some overlord fixes, environmentalist now even more of an always pick for me.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

Their general pattern seems to be to have a big DLC for a particular gimmick and a themed smattering of that gimmick in every other expansion, including backporting with the custodians. Because the custodians are a relatively recent this though its inconsistent, and megastructures are probably the worst culprits. Megacorp and Federations are especially egregious.

I guess I just feel Overlord and whatever the megacorp expansion was called were a bit boring to me.
And they don't work great either.

I feel like since last time I played (so pre overlord) the Fallen Empires are a LOT more powerful - I've completely flattened a 1.2x crisis and the fallen empires are still flying around with 250k fleets which feels colossal compared to usual.
Then I thought well maybe they'll work on them in the next expansion? That'd be good.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Splicer posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-267-3-5-fornax-patch-notes-ai-performance-and-modding.1542303/

Patch. Good stuff, performance increases, some overlord fixes, conservationist now even more of an always pick for me.

I only skimmed the patch notes, what makes conservationists better now?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

I only skimmed the patch notes, what makes conservationists better now?
*Environmentalist, I always mix the names of those two up

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I want them to rework piracy. In its current form its a non gameplay element at best and an annoyance at worst.

Just flat out removing it would be an improvement until it can be re released after a rework. Heck space piracy could even form the basis of a DLC. Imagine being able to build and/or hire fleets that could raid star bases and planets for resources or pops without being at war. Privateers. Sid Meier's Colonization had those back in the DOS days and they were pretty fun.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 15, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splicer posted:

Patch. Good stuff, performance increases, some overlord fixes, environmentalist now even more of an always pick for me.

really big patch with a lot of good stuff, custodian initiative knocking it out of the park again

Antillie posted:

I want them to rework piracy. In its current form its a non gameplay element at best and an annoyance at worst.

trade routes should go from empire to empire, not planet to planet within an empire. the entire system is pointless as is, most games i never even interact with it in any way

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

really big patch with a lot of good stuff, custodian initiative knocking it out of the park again

trade routes should go from empire to empire, not planet to planet within an empire. the entire system is pointless as is, most games i never even interact with it in any way

The fact that trade routes EVER were internal only is just bizarre tbh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

That sounds like the EHOF cluster from gigas.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Yami Fenrir posted:

No kidding. If they just let empires trade with each other and removed pirate spawns (the suppression mechanic is mostly fine imo, it's just the random spawns are completely unnecessary), the system would be fine.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah: reading about the improvements to AI and performance in particular shows how much effort is going into the game now. Glad the days of just stacking features on top with no thought of how they relate to the rest and ignoring stuff that sorely needed fixing are mostly gone.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I guess it might have looked like a fun little management game for a minute when they were first designing it, but I'm sure even by the time they built it out they must have realized that it isn't fun at all. Empire to empire trade routes would allow for a lot of cool things like organizing blockades or trying to tax them and add more interest and weight to the whole trade value thing... but instead we have something that's mostly irrelevant beyond the occasional batch of pirates appearing out of thin air

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
If we assume that the point of patrols and having to clear out pirate spawns is to tie up fleet power for more income, then I would change it like this:

Instead of patrols, let me just assign naval cap for suppression(maybe on specifik routes so you can target the long and hard to supress ones) to simulate tying up ships but less fiddly.

Then instead of spawns if ignored, create some flavorful situations instead. You could even have an option where you assign a military fleet as the strongest respons, causing it to go MIA, but then have less powerful tools aswell if that would be inconvenient at the time.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

That sounds like the EHOF cluster from gigas.

Yeah, but that one's kinda eh... even when I turn giga one I usually don't use it tbh

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

quote:

Fixed being able to build multiple megastructures in a single system.

SUCH BULLSHIT

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Duodecimal posted:

SUCH BULLSHIT

just mod the files lol

first thing I do after a patch is check that my personal mod folder still works since that's one of several little file tweaks I have in every game

there is no reason I shouldn't be able to put three Dyson Spheres into a triple star system goddamn it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Antillie posted:

Just flat out removing it would be an improvement until it can be re released after a rework. Heck space piracy could even form the basis of a DLC. Imagine being able to build and/or hire fleets that could raid star bases and planets for resources or pops without being at war. Privateers. Sid Meier's Colonization had those back in the DOS days and they were pretty fun.

That just sounds annoying. Piracy is one of those mechanics that's like espionage - poo poo in every 4x game it's in.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Duodecimal posted:

SUCH BULLSHIT

I liked dumping all my mega structures in one place to make the galaxy's best tourist attraction. At least now they'll be in the outliner so I can find them without doing that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally, I keep one ship surveying close to home, and then make multiple ships I send out exploring (not surveying) looking for choke points, other aliens, and systems I can't get through without a fight.

For influence, you might need to make a bigger fleet, even if it goes over your naval cap, until you max out at 2 influence/month from fleet power.

To add to this I use my Unity to speed things up - Expansion gives -10% influence for starbases and interstellar domain gives another -20%. The rest of the boosts in expansion help with getting your colonies up and running faster.

I actually have fun with a unity build for the early game boost it gives - parliamentary systems gives you factions right away and more unity per faction, and fanatic egalitarian gives even more unity per faction. Typically I can knock out Expansion, Supremacy, and Prosperity pretty early without a single unity building.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
One game where I was going for the opposite of turtling, I sent out my three starting research scientists as explorers to save on unity costs for the first couple years. I was going to lean on militarism and expansion to make up for the lack of tech. It worked out for that game, not sure how I would have done at a higher difficulty.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

At about what combined fleet power would let me take on a fallen empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If they're dormant, 150k-200k. If they're awakened, 300k