Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I would legit buy a SteamOS console if they made one (slash went back to making steamMachines, though the licensing model sucks, just gimme one flat performance target for developers to aim at and let me buy it for console prices) and brought out a new / reissued steam controller for it.

Just the ability to sleep PC games and resume them and it... Just Working with the majority of games is peaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lord Bob posted:

Just the ability to sleep PC games and resume them and it... Just Working with the majority of games is peaches.
This is easily the best thing about the switch. So easy to pick up and play for 2 minutes. Sometimes just getting the motivation to get into a game makes me turn on the TV instead, haha.

Ordered deck on Monday, should be arriving today. Finally, a perk to living in the Midwest

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Bob posted:

I would legit buy a SteamOS console if they made one (slash went back to making steamMachines, though the licensing model sucks, just gimme one flat performance target for developers to aim at and let me buy it for console prices) and brought out a new / reissued steam controller for it.

I mean they’re going to be releasing a general installer for SteamOS so nothing is stopping you from building one to the specs you want once that’s out.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean they’re going to be releasing a general installer for SteamOS so nothing is stopping you from building one to the specs you want once that’s out.

:effort:

I want console gaming, I want a big company to just let me give them £400 and I get an xbox but it can play steam games.

Though I guess the sleep mode knocking out all auto-updates would hit a bit worse on a console than it does on the deck

nerox
May 20, 2001
I was at 91.78% on Monday which was an increase of 11.43%. This puts me in the possibility window that today could be my day. :woop:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I really do hope they reissue the Steam Controller, or maybe a revised version of it. I'd definitely be into it.

I like playing docked from time to time, but my SN30 Pro 2 doesn't quite cut it. I have to use gyro because there's no trackpad, which means I have to run it in Switch mode which means no analog triggers. I guess a DS4 would "fix" that and even has the touchpad but it's not the same thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they made it extremely similar ergonomically to the Deck that'd be a good idea.

The steam controller just didnt feel great and I didn't like it. There was only one stick for some reason, and the glossy plastic was a weird choice-- instant dust and smudge. It could work, but it definitely didn't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

got windows 11 working after a lot of trial and error. the drat SD card reader on my iMac stopped working in Bootcamp so I had to do it through Parallels but it's all good now. Currently installing Destiny 2!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

The steam controller just didnt feel great and I didn't like it. There was only one stick for some reason,
I rarely use the right stick on the Deck. Maybe if I was more into twin-stick shooters.

Though I agree if they were to make a Steam Controller mk II they should make it have control parity with the Deck so layouts could just be reused.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I still have my Steam Controller from forever ago - thankfully with the AA battery decision nothing exploded while it was sitting in a bin for a few years. Been using it docked, still feels pretty good, though the shape feels a little weird even now - the buttons are just a little too far from my thumbs to be comfortable and the triggers don't feel too great, though the deck has pretty much the same setup there. It was still a really solid concept and I do hope they try it again with the ergo lessons they've learned from the Deck itself.

Anyway I'm playing God of War on a portable system and this poo poo rules.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Days Gone is on sale on Fanatacial for $17. It is a really good game that was slammed by journalists because it wasn't made by Nintendo or Microsoft. Runs like a dream on the Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s absolute poo poo OP

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MarcusSA posted:

Like on one hand it’s pretty cool that I can boot into windows easy enough but on the other hand it’s windows.

That's why I haven't booted Windows on my desktop in close to a year.

And it really doesn't help that updating Windows is the most infuriating process known to man, including the OS somehow feeling more annoying with each update.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Days Gone is on sale on Fanatacial for $17. It is a really good game that was slammed by journalists because it wasn't made by Nintendo or Microsoft. Runs like a dream on the Deck.

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/POPSKIN/status/1570295444911321090
ssssick

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

got windows 11 working after a lot of trial and error. the drat SD card reader on my iMac stopped working in Bootcamp so I had to do it through Parallels but it's all good now. Currently installing Destiny 2!

Let me know what you think! I think it runs ok (besides the loading) I set the resolution scale down to 95 but I don’t think that actually did anything noticeable.

worms butthole guy posted:

Days gone is a lot of fun. I played through it on the PS5 and I’m considering getting it for the deck. Same with Horizon Zero dawn.

Antigravitas posted:

And it really doesn't help that updating Windows is the most infuriating process known to man, including the OS somehow feeling more annoying with each update.
This x100 like I am getting weird rear end update failures on this fresh install and I have no idea why and I really don’t get a poo poo to fix it at this point.

Also windows keeps shutting down vs sleeping if left for too long. I checked the power plan and it should be sleeping. Windows sleep mode sucks rear end though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

windows randomly updating is why I avoid it at all costs. we got moved to windows in work after 5 years of macOS and it loving sucks. I’d prefer to use Linux tbh

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

It’s absolute poo poo OP

reminder this dweeb rallied poeple to buy the KOTOR 2 port on Switch only a week later to find out yu can't even complete the game due to bugs :newlol:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

works on my machine OP

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I enjoyed Days Gone. Didn't finish it, it's certainly not a great game but it is fun for a while to ride a Harley through the wilds of Oregon . I don't regret my time with it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven’t played it but gonna guess the open world zombie game inspired by Sons of Anarchy and made by an American studio is pretty bad

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well you’d be wrong because it’s good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm freakin' out over Freakers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Well you’d be wrong because it’s good.

Impossible on both counts, topic locked

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Got my email! 🥳

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s absolute poo poo OP

poo poo hot maybe! I think I started out hating the game and then fell completely in love with it the more I played.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Days Gone is good. Gameplay is more deliberate and exploratory than zombie horde killing trailers may indicate. More State of Decay sans a bunch of mechanics than Serious Sam.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Does running the Steam Deck on a big 4K TV actually look good? I know games won't actually run in 4k but will it be a good experience?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the main dude is really good.

He feels pretty realistic lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Party Boat posted:

Just had a big promotion confirmed so treated myself to a 256 order. Was pleasantly surprised to see it estimated as a Q4 shipment, if I have this thing by Christmas I'll be very happy.

I reserved at the start of the month this assuming that I'd be ordering in November at the earliest (after my first improved pay packet) but at the rate the queues are apparently moving I might be paying for this sometime in early October lol

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got my 512 GB confirmation and ordered. :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you hold the Steam button it shows all the shortcuts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

If you hold the Steam button it shows all the shortcuts.

Whoa, this should be in the OP

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

94.66%

:negative:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I can't believe I've never just held that button before. Like I've had a list of them open in a tab on my phone this whole time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not convinced that Switch emulation is "there" yet. Maybe in a few generations. Besides, unless you need to have all your games on a single device the Switch is plenty portable.

Switch emulation is shakey, true, but apparently there's some Steam Deck specific performance improvements coming down the pipe so we'll see how much better it gets. I'm totally one of those "all games on one device" type, edge case users though, but my gaming split is about 1% Switch titles compared to the 99% of PC games I play when it comes to my gaming time spent and I definitely don't want to haul a Switch around on the off chance I want to play Kirby or something. The irony in my case is that I've put more time into my Switch library because of the Deck through emulation than I have in the last 2 years on the Switch itself.

Also I'm okay with not giving Nintendo money for subpar experiences.

Lord Bob posted:

:effort:

I want console gaming, I want a big company to just let me give them £400 and I get an xbox but it can play steam games.

Don't even built the PC then, just buy one and install Steam OS on it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
How long have you been waiting?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

How long have you been waiting?

June 20th so I guess Monday is when I'll get mine

Updated to 97.3%

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

It’s absolute poo poo OP

lmao I think you bought a Deck just so you'd have an extra thread to poo poo on people's game purchases