Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No, no one cares about work history unrelated to the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I removed the blurb, padded the work experience with a couple more notes including tech stacks associated with each position and moved my technical skills to the bottom. Please let me know what you think?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sleepy Robot posted:

I'm running into a CORS issue trying to query a 3rd party API with axios.

My query looks like this:

```
axios.get('http://lapi.transitchicago.com/api/1.0/ttarrivals.aspx?key=IHARDCODEMYAPIHERE&max=1&mapid=40070&outputType=JSON')
.then((response) => {
console.log('response: ', response);
})

```
and I get the error:
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://lapi.transitchicago.com/api/1.0/ttarrivals.aspx?key=IHARDCODEMYAPIHERE&max=1&mapid=40070&outputType=JSON. (Reason: CORS header Access-Control-Allow-Origin missing). Status code: 200.

strangely enough I can see the XHR with a 200 response code and the data that I need, but I'm not able to access it in "then".

I've done a bit of digging around Stack Overflow and the solution seems to be adding RESPONSE headers but I don't own the API. I only have control over the request headers, right?

if it's a simple GET request, I think you can use jsonp to get around CORS

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Dave posted:

No, no one cares about work history unrelated to the field.

Ive hired like 20 people including 4 early career engineers and I suggested it so at least one person does care about it in some circumstances.

Since Im in legal tech this would be EXTREMELY relevant for me so much so that if he was a Python engineer Id PM him.

That said, for where hes applying it might not be one of those circumstances.

Verisimilidude posted:

I did work as a secretary in a law firm, and as a chef for some time prior to that. Is that worth adding? Ive heard experience not directly related to tech doesnt add much.

As for the blurb, yeah Ill get rid of it. Ill see about moving stuff around!!

Leave them off if they dont help you tell your story. If you can show I worked at one place without getting fired for 3 years thats worth including in the story.

These are relatively low relevance, low skilled positions unless youre getting hired into legal tech or restaurant tech.

That said if they help tell your story, help derail you as a candidate, or are relevant to the industry youre applying in

If you choose to leave it on just include title, employer, dates. It can be one line. Maximum 2 lines. Do not include accomplishments unless they are crystal clear for telling your story.

Sleepy Robot
Mar 24, 2006
instant constitutional scholar, just add astonomist
I generally understand lifting state for the functional components that I write, but how am I supposed to lift state to the main.jsx file that vite automatically produces? I need to lift state so that I can pass props to some routes, which by default are in main.jsx

If I try to move the state up to main.jsx, error I get isn't very helpful at this point, it says "can't access property usestate current is null"
I've also tried moving the routes down to App.jsx, that causes another set of issues and errors for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sleepy Robot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Sleepy Robot posted:

I generally understand lifting state for the functional components that I write, but how am I supposed to lift state to the main.jsx file that vite automatically produces? I need to lift state so that I can pass props to some routes, which by default are in main.jsx

If I try to move the state up to main.jsx, error I get isn't very helpful at this point, it says "can't access property usestate current is null"
I've also tried moving the routes down to App.jsx, that causes another set of issues and errors for me.

Why can't you move the routes into App.jsx? I would move everything between the React.StrictMode tags into App.tsx.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm using Google Performance Tools for the first time to profile something and wondering if it's possible to save the profiles but also retain the links on the sidebar to the source that appear when you're looking at the slowest samples in Bottom Up view? Seems like when I save a profile then reload it later, these handy links to the slow sections of js code disappear.

I'm a C++ programmer so yeah I've never used this program and have no idea what I'm doing.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Whats the legality of using simple tags located in the head of a document? I want my service to allow a user to give me a link, I call and scrape the title and description of the page, and then show a snippet. Is this something I should be concerned is copyright? Clearly search engines use this information, but I dont have their clout.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Just obey robots.txt and 'meta robots noindex' and you'll be fine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://astro.build anyone done anything with Astro yet? It looks cool. I don't really make public facing websites all that often anymore but this is making me want to

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend a tool for load/stress testing a web app?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Happy to report that I was offered a new position for much higher base pay than my previous position. Thanks to everyone who helped me improve my resume, I noticed a sharp increase in application responses after I took the suggestions here.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Way to go!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:nice:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Pouring one out for all the designers out there today. RIP Figma

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Pouring one out for all the designers out there today. RIP Figma

maybe itll stay good? baha

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
the CEO was like "don't worry I'm still going to be CEO and Figma will operate independently from Adobe" on twitter so I give it 3 months until he takes on a consultant role and Figma becomes bloated with Adobe poo poo

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it means we dont have to pay much more for figjam and can drop miro at work then Im all for it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

the CEO was like "don't worry I'm still going to be CEO and Figma will operate independently from Adobe" on twitter so I give it 3 months until he takes on a consultant role and Figma becomes bloated with Adobe poo poo

I think those "gotta pretend everything is the same" contracts usually last a year, enough time to find an alternative I guess.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

One of 3 things will happen:

Adobe will kill Adobe XD and rename Figma "Adobe XD"
Adobe will kill Figma and pull some (but not all) of its features into Adobe XD
Adobe will do whatever the gently caress they want with it, and regardless of the quality of their decisions all designers who switched to Figma will go back to using Sketch because they can't be bothered to watch Adobe gently caress up yet another piece of software.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
$20b seems like...so much money! What's the market even like for a ui design tool? I feel like it's such a niche thing, that valuation just doesn't compute for me, but honestly, good for them. I hope Adobe does right, it's clearly a thing tons of people love. Don't screw it up!

Unrelated question. I want to setup an automated daily email that just scrapes a page (or could be easily built from a JSON api I could build). Mailchimp can do this, but only on their $11 per month plan. Does anyone know of another email service/api with a free tier that would let me send a super low volume of email from a page scrape, or generate an email from some JSON? This is just a personal project, so it's not worth spending money on, and I don't need it to come from a custom domain or anything.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

frogbs posted:

$20b seems like...so much money! What's the market even like for a ui design tool? I feel like it's such a niche thing, that valuation just doesn't compute for me, but honestly, good for them. I hope Adobe does right, it's clearly a thing tons of people love. Don't screw it up!

Unrelated question. I want to setup an automated daily email that just scrapes a page (or could be easily built from a JSON api I could build). Mailchimp can do this, but only on their $11 per month plan. Does anyone know of another email service/api with a free tier that would let me send a super low volume of email from a page scrape, or generate an email from some JSON? This is just a personal project, so it's not worth spending money on, and I don't need it to come from a custom domain or anything.

Sendgrid does this.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

frogbs posted:

Zapier has a free tier though IDK if their email sending service is on it. I've made emails from webhooks/POSTs to an endpoint they made on there though.

Also shout out to Zapier for being awesome.
I wanted to increase collection by sending snail mail of invoices to clients. In 3 hours had a working Zap that lets me snail mail invoices to clients by having an assistant dragging and drop a bulk PDF export of the invoices into a google drive. I bet this 3 hours + 60 bucks in postage per month results in $100K in the next year.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

I do this with a combination of Puppeteer and Nodemailer running on a small free heroku node server

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mailgun maybe.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I work for a grain elevator and we have an inventory tracking application that was written a long time ago that is insecure (sql injection, etc.) and so I've taken it offline. I've been asked to build the successor to this app.

Currently the app has a "site map" where each silo/bin is clickable which allows you to do various tasks with it (like update inventory, etc.).

In its current form this is just styled <button> elements into circles and rectangles and then positioned with tables that have a bunch of rowspan and colspan attributes. I feel like this can be modernized but I've been struggling to figure out an improvement. I've looked at libraries like D3 which are just absurdly complex for what I want to do. I've checked out fabric.js but I'm on the fence with that. Then I decided to see if what I wanted to do was possible with just straight up SVGs but I'm running into issues with that too. Specifically, getting text to be constrained within the shapes.

How would you guys approach this? Should I just stick to what works with <button> and <table>?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I would use React and css grid IMHO. You could also use something like react-threer-fiber if you want to get real fancy.

Cool project though

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That sounds like an incredibly cool thing to work on

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kiwid posted:

I work for a grain elevator and we have an inventory tracking application that was written a long time ago that is insecure (sql injection, etc.) and so I've taken it offline. I've been asked to build the successor to this app.

Currently the app has a "site map" where each silo/bin is clickable which allows you to do various tasks with it (like update inventory, etc.).

In its current form this is just styled <button> elements into circles and rectangles and then positioned with tables that have a bunch of rowspan and colspan attributes. I feel like this can be modernized but I've been struggling to figure out an improvement. I've looked at libraries like D3 which are just absurdly complex for what I want to do. I've checked out fabric.js but I'm on the fence with that. Then I decided to see if what I wanted to do was possible with just straight up SVGs but I'm running into issues with that too. Specifically, getting text to be constrained within the shapes.

How would you guys approach this? Should I just stick to what works with <button> and <table>?

This sounds like a dashboard.

I'd use Plotly Dash + Dash Bootsrap components because I prefer python. This would remove any of the heavy lifting about sizing stuff, and everything would be located using regular ol bootstrap, but much faster to write because DBC is pretty succinct. Trivially deploys to Heroku which will have SSL by default, though the Dash free version auth is HTTP basic auth.

If you really want it to be a graph with clickable shapes, dash has a cytoscapes wrapper. but it will have similar problems about having text contained within shapes. IMO way easier to use the grid, your app will feel much more like the internet people are used to. You can specify button colors to rep types of objects rather than shape.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 18, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just use an image map and call it a day:mmmhmm:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Image map of a drone shot

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Realtalk you could use a canvas. I haven't done it in forever but it would work pretty well for your use case I think

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should just put them in a regular list and move on

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

prom candy posted:

You should just put them in a regular list and move on

You're right. This is what I proposed but of course the users don't agree.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It sounds like you've got two problems:

- Positioning and sizing clickable elements on the page in a way that mimics their physical placement and size in the real plant
- Styling those clickable elements so that they don't look stupid

I would solve the first problem by putting all the elements inside a single container, and positioning them in the right place using position: absolute.

The second problem can be solved by manually loving around with font sizes and line break positioning so that things look acceptable. If you really wanted to, you could spend a few days figuring out CSS text wrapping to automatically wrap text to the inside of a circle and save yourself two minutes of manually adding line breaks.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

The more I work with SVG the more it looks like it might work. I just have to come up with a clever way to implement a grid and bin sizes.

HTML code:
<svg class="bg-warning" width="100%" height="600">
    <g transform="translate(70, 70)">
        <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="60" stroke="black" stroke-width="1" fill="yellowgreen"></circle>
        <text x="0" y="0" font-size="10" alignment-baseline="middle" text-anchor="middle">
            Clean Bin &num;1
        </text>
    </g>
    <g transform="translate(200, 70)">
        <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="60" stroke="black" stroke-width="1" fill="yellowgreen"></circle>
        <text x="0" y="0" font-size="10" alignment-baseline="middle" text-anchor="middle">
            Clean Bin &num;2
        </text>
    </g>
    <g transform="translate(330, 70)">
            <tspan x="0" dy="-6px">Clean</tspan>
            <tspan x="0" dy="12px">Bin &num;3</tspan>
        </text>
    </g>
</svg>

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just use css grid

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

kiwid posted:

The more I work with SVG the more it looks like it might work. I just have to come up with a clever way to implement a grid and bin sizes.

HTML code:

Why not just style some buttons and lay them out with grid? Then you won't have to retrofit accessibility, which you're definitely checking for this work software, right?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

blunt posted:

Why not just style some buttons and lay them out with grid? Then you won't have to retrofit accessibility, which you're definitely checking for this work software, right?

Probably what I'm going to do. Messing around with all these pixel coordinates sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kiwid posted:

You're right. This is what I proposed but of course the users don't agree.

Are these users internal or external?