Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I love kobra kai haven’t watched the new one yet tho. It is aggressively stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

It's probably the most interesting anthology series of the past decade, but the writing in most of the ones I watched is just college student film level bad. It's a shame, because some of them have serious potential. Even with the writing, if some of them went on to be a weekly SyFy series I'd (somewhat reluctantly) watch them.

I loved Oats Studios and mostly agree, however when it comes to this specific kind of streaming anthology show I feel like Love Death Robots is right up there too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I love kobra kai haven’t watched the new one yet tho. It is aggressively stupid

It’s definitely not a “smart” show and thank god because there’s been enough of those lately

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Started watching the Cyberpunk show on Netflix last night, and while it is kinda cool the dialogue is all saturday morning cartoon levels of bad and I'm having a hard time coming around on it. I don't watch anime though so maybe this is typical.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m watching dragon ball super

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
somehow, learning that Franz Ferdinand still exist is the weirdest thing to happen to me all week

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey, someone has got to play the local county fair and community day events.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mark McGrath from sugar Ray played a halftime show at a football game this past Sunday

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're touring Europe and doing smaller venues. Good for them. People degenerate one-hit-wonder bands but that's one more hit than most bands will ever have. As somebody who was big into their local music scene I respect 'em all.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

somehow, learning that Franz Ferdinand still exist is the weirdest thing to happen to me all week

They're kind of having a resurgence in popularity. I was never super big on them back in the day, but I heard "Take Me Out" again for the first time in forever recently, and I can't get it out of my head.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

precision posted:

Gavrilo Princip needs to get off his rear end already.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Mark McGrath from sugar Ray played a halftime show at a football game this past Sunday

For what high school?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They're touring Europe and doing smaller venues. Good for them. People degenerate one-hit-wonder bands but that's one more hit than most bands will ever have. As somebody who was big into their local music scene I respect 'em all.

I'm not hatin, just saying poo poo is weird.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've seen Franz Ferdinand live more than any other musical act, with six times.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Take me out is a banger

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm not hatin, just saying poo poo is weird.

I agree that it's weird. I saw them once at a small venue in '5 or '6 and it was good but today they feel like music from another age.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think I saw them this summer at a festival in pasadena

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bring back The Bravery and Bloc Party

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Shageletic posted:

i saw bloc party too at the same festival lol. the festival seemed to be aimed at people whose musical tastes stopped evolving in 2004. santigold was legit tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

i saw bloc party too at the same festival lol. the festival seemed to be aimed at people whose musical tastes stopped evolving in 2004. santigold was legit tho

THEY MADE THIS CONCERT! FOR ME!!!!

My drummer always said that I only like bands that peaked around 2005 lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shageletic posted:

Bloc Party came back this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y86GEcmcnw

e: December 2021, that should count as 'this year' :colbert:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shageletic posted:

THEY MADE THIS CONCERT! FOR ME!!!!

My drummer always said that I only like bands that peaked around 2005 lol

I love that era of music. I call it the "The" era

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/wyattfair/status/1559296600219930624

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've recently went on an early 2000s emo nostalgia kick, either my musical taste still sucks or this stuff holds up really well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I think there is a reason for a resurgence in popularity in bands like Franz Ferdinand, and lineups like that. Rock music in the last 10 years has stopped being fun for the most part. There are exceptions of course, but the trend these days is sad girl indie. A lot of records out there about people processing their grief or mental health, or just plain mumbling.

I watched a video talking about how Franz Ferdinand did the same thing when they came out, when rock music was coming out of grunge and nu-metal, bands like FF were making rock music that you could dance to again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y1XSukU3k

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean, 2005ish was really the last time rock music was mainstream popular and honeslty the early 00s weren't a bad era for it. The late 90's were loving terrible for mainstream rock.

And by mainstream I mean like, the stuff all the kids listen to. There's still rock bands that sell out stadiums but it's mostly relegated to old person music.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I think there is a reason for a resurgence in popularity in bands like Franz Ferdinand, and lineups like that. Rock music in the last 10 years has stopped being fun for the most part. There are exceptions of course, but the trend these days is sad girl indie. A lot of records out there about people processing their grief or mental health, or just plain mumbling.

I watched a video talking about how Franz Ferdinand did the same thing when they came out, when rock music was coming out of grunge and nu-metal, bands like FF were making rock music that you could dance to again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y1XSukU3k

This guy is overstating the importance of Franz Ferdinand by so much lol. The whole indie dance punk thing was absolutely in full swing by time they came around. They were on the back end of what they were doing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm probably just an old dude showing my rear end, but I'd consider Queens of the Stone Age to be the last big capital R Rock band.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

i was back stage at hangout fest and used the bathroom at the same time as josh homme one time

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

This guy is overstating the importance of Franz Ferdinand by so much lol. The whole indie dance punk thing was absolutely in full swing by time they came around. They were on the back end of what they were doing.

Yeah, in the dance punk space, !!! came out widely in summer 2001. House of Jealous Lovers first came out in March 2002, but didn't really take off until summer 2003. Same with Fischerspooner's "Emerge," which first released in 2001 but didn't really break through until 2003 again. Take Me Out debuted about 8 months after that.

FF were definitely following, but I also definitely didn't see videos from those other bands 12 times a day on MTV prime. Emerge got some airtime on MTV2, but that was about it until... LCD Soundsystem, maybe?

Fake EDIT: Thought I was in NMD. gently caress it, I looked these dates up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

the sam morrill special is funny

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, in the dance punk space, !!! came out widely in summer 2001. House of Jealous Lovers first came out in March 2002, but didn't really take off until summer 2003. Same with Fischerspooner's "Emerge," which first released in 2001 but didn't really break through until 2003 again. Take Me Out debuted about 8 months after that.

FF were definitely following, but I also definitely didn't see videos from those other bands 12 times a day on MTV prime. Emerge got some airtime on MTV2, but that was about it until... LCD Soundsystem, maybe?

Fake EDIT: Thought I was in NMD. gently caress it, I looked these dates up.

Also If one band deserved credit for the whole fad (they don’t) The Faint would be the logical band to point to.

Also the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were huge before FF ever came around and also had a lot more going on than shamelessly aping Gang of Four. Not that I think FF were terrible or anything it’s just lol at the idea that they were some sort of game changer.

!!! Was the best one though. Never really got the recognition they deserved.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

that's because their name is stupid

e: sorry I don't mean to insult you veni, I know you like names that are 3 of a thing

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 16, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

veni veni veni posted:

I mean his assassination did start World War I. Also, I'm not sure indie dance punk was a thing in 1914.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

Take me out is a banger

it's one of those songs that i like a lot more now that it's not EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
you guys forgot Hot Hot Heat

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Guys, this is a thread about streaming video

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glottis posted:

Technically the word "video" does not appear in the thread tittle

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

I feel like the last few weeks have seen the premiere of a ton of new streaming shows that have gotten overshadowed by She Hulk, The Rings of Power, and House of the Dragon. Any new shows worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Also we’re in the movie subforum yet people keep talking about tv shows!!