Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Content warning you see that dude ejected from the white car briefly. Rest is just vehicles and cool Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1570119986349318146?s=46&t=qkUzzQM0qmN59y9eIaC6aw

https://twitter.com/kremlintrolls/status/1570186897325965312?s=46&t=Va0688AhppEZn2tuTSKDPw

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

MrYenko posted:

:allears:

Being in the technical intelligence business these past six months must be a fuckin wild ride.

Can confirm. My friends at NASIC love it when they get new toys to tinker with.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

hannibal posted:

I came here to say something similar, maybe because I also work in defense, but USD A&S is a fairly important position. Also where he came from (and you work) and also his previous job (where I used to work) are well known, important DoD research labs. But I tend to keep up with these things.

https://www.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography/Article/3035268/dr-william-a-laplante/

Hey hey! I was the briefer to the former USD A&S. Ms. Lord was an impressive senior Client and was also very nice to us peons. I used to tell people that it was impressive to see actual qualified and capable people in the Pentagon during those dark days we do not speak of.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russian is apparently pulling its Strategic Rocket Forces soldiers to fix manpower shortages. That’s normal and not at all a sign of being hosed five ways to Sunday.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1569834731944177667

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another data point in the "It was never about NATO" argument.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t know why people even need data points when Putin himself said it wasn’t about NATO on the eve of the war

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Another data point in the "It was never about NATO" argument.

Also a good counter to "Oh they can do a General Mobilization and still win!"

Buddy, if they are scraping their Strategic Missile troops for bodies, they got nothin' left. It takes troops to mobilize new troops. They have none.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Roblo posted:

Zelinsky in Izium today. The difference in optics between him and Putin is incredible.

Remember when Putin was going to have a victory march in 4 days and the mechanized troops were carrying mess dress with them as a result?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Zelensky was in a minor car accident just a little bit ago, apparently. All the news articles are saying there were only minor injuries, but it's a bit of a reminder that the man is, indeed, mortal. Hopefully nothing happens to him...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62910236

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

kupachek posted:

This can be replicated. They've gone past just dropping mortar rounds with quadcopters.

So, they basically replicated the top-down attack profile of the Javelin via M72s & a cheap drone. Absolutely genius idea

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Russians looking for new ways to plug gaps in their lines.

https://twitter.com/tarasberezovets/status/1569764657799249920?s=46&t=pPumZwMcr9-o7W82Vd6dPQ

Also never play that song…too many goddamn holding and meeting memories.

drat, i never expected scald to wind up fighting in ukraine

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Russian is apparently pulling its Strategic Rocket Forces soldiers to fix manpower shortages. That’s normal and not at all a sign of being hosed five ways to Sunday.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1569834731944177667

Are the Strategic Rocket Forces their nuclear folks?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

So, they basically replicated the top-down attack profile of the Javelin via M72s & a cheap drone. Absolutely genius idea

I found it adorable, but it seems very few share that sentiment.
Couple more photos of their quadcopters in this album. https://imgur.com/a/1TrBiPR

They've gotten pretty good with dropping on target too, I made this gif out of some of that footage a few days ago.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

Yes

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

psydude posted:

Yes, specifically land-based ICBMs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jimmy Smuts posted:

looks like the LAW has a top down attack mode now~

lmao that is indeed ingenius

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zat posted:

Yes, specifically land-based ICBMs.

Lol

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Odradek posted:

Hey hey! I was the briefer to the former USD A&S. Ms. Lord was an impressive senior Client and was also very nice to us peons. I used to tell people that it was impressive to see actual qualified and capable people in the Pentagon during those dark days we do not speak of.

:hfive: I was never in a room with her, but I heard good things. I've supported some work for A&S for a few years, a few levels down the org chart.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Russia is deploying their PHOENIX RAVEN troops to the front, its over for ukraine now

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Apparently yes and this guy was attached to a MOBILE ICBM UNIT…like Jesus Christ it’s like digging out a missiler from Warren and sending them into Fallujah.

Edit: it’s not land the guy apparently said mobile or at least that’s his division, but I’ve read comments (not seen a translated version yet, hopefully Dimitri will do that) that he wasn’t just a base guard.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
I’m genuinely shocked that in the year of our Lord 2022, a modern military has inflicted catastrophic losses on their opponent by going: “Hey look over here!”

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Edit: it’s not land the guy apparently said mobile or at least that’s his division, but I’ve read comments (not seen a translated version yet, hopefully Dimitri will do that) that he wasn’t just a base guard.

That's probably correct. Anyway "land-based" includes both silo-based and road-mobile ICBMs (though the US only has the former).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

That's probably correct. Anyway "land-based" includes both silo-based and road-mobile ICBMs (though the US only has the former).

You’re quite right, I‘ve just always viewed mobile as different from silo based, thank you hours of BRAVO ROMEO DELTA and old issues of Soviet Military Power, but yep both would be considered land.

I mean besides the MX rail system I don’t think the US ever truly had any mobile ICBMs, IRBMs (Honest John or even GLCMs) yes, but not like the USSR/Former Russian Federation. I think it’s also just the idea of nuclear launch platforms riding around the southwest or Midwest it’s just kind of strange to me to imagine. This is of course with the knowledge of the US having nuclear armed Nike missiles in the New York area and other places, along with nuclear transfer trucks and silos. I guess it’s just mobile in the US just seems so foreign to me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AStrangeDuelist posted:

I’m genuinely shocked that in the year of our Lord 2022, a modern military has inflicted catastrophic losses on their opponent by going: “Hey look over here!”

Serious subject but by the gods that had me laughing. :roflolmao: :tipshat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AStrangeDuelist posted:

A good sign of how much their intel apparatus has degraded. Some basic satellite imagery and drone imagery could've told them which way the Ukrainians were moving.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Multiple times, even! It's how they sunk the loving Black Sea Flagship!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AStrangeDuelist posted:

War. War never changes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kith posted:

Multiple times, even! It's how they sunk the loving Black Sea Flagship!

It’s more accurate to say it’s how they helped it sink, the thing wouldn’t been nailed to the dock if it had been a civilian ship.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't know how much I consider it a deceptive feint. It has seemed to me to be less a deception and more of a two front attack against an opponent having a really bad time with logistics (what with HIMARS-o-clock and all) forcing them to make a decision on which front loses badly and which one becomes a fight. Russia chose and shipped personnel to one front, where Ukraine is doing some pretty serious fighting, the other was so hilariously under-staffed and degraded that it wasn't possible to fight back.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Surprising until you step pack and consider the Potemkin army Russia has built over the last 3 decades. Even their intelligence agencies suck - in the last two assassinations they carried out (or attempted to), one set of guys got arrested and the other were immediately identified after they fled the country.

Combined with excellent OPSEC on the part of the Ukrainians, and probably a healthy dose of :nsa: limiting their SIGINT and GEOINT capabilities, and this is the outcome.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For people who hated their nobles. ;)

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1570451621267505154?s=46&t=7-OusG062eMn6dLI8JPvyg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its okay, the Command Staff already hosed off back to Russia or Belarus.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psydude posted:

https://gfycat.com/annualunsteadygibbon-spies-like-us-soulfinger

It's these folks

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't know how much I consider it a deceptive feint. It has seemed to me to be less a deception and more of a two front attack against an opponent having a really bad time with logistics (what with HIMARS-o-clock and all) forcing them to make a decision on which front loses badly and which one becomes a fight. Russia chose and shipped personnel to one front, where Ukraine is doing some pretty serious fighting, the other was so hilariously under-staffed and degraded that it wasn't possible to fight back.

This is Michael Kofman's take. It seems to me that such a thing is a natural product of interior lines. Belligerent with interior lines attacks/counterattacks, those attacks discover weaknesses or unexpected strength at one point and can shift soldiers/tactics to avoid the danger and to exploit the weakness.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That lad is drinking from two separate bottles of clear liquid, one is water... the other isn't. :hydrated: :fluffy:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Soviet hardware wasn't designed with sobriety in mind.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/aaron_schwa/status/1568923303212990466

:hmmyes:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
blow up a russian colonel drinking game

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They found another mass grave in Izuim around 440 graves in one mass area.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...?smid=url-share

quote:

A mass burial ground with about 440 individual graves has been found in Izium in the days since the city, in Ukraine’s northeast, was reclaimed from Russian forces in a lightning offensive last week, a senior Ukrainian police official told Sky News on Thursday.

Serhii Bolvinov, the head of the investigative department of the regional police force in Kharkiv, said the bodies would be exhumed and forensically examined as part of an investigation into whether Russian forces committed war crimes during their occupation.

Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine’s minister of internal affairs who traveled to Izium with President Volodymyr Zelensky on Wednesday, told the BBC on Thursday that about 1,000 dead bodies had been found in the city since it was liberated last week.

“We were shocked to see the destruction of the city,” he said, speaking through a translator. “We have found already, for now, around 1,000 dead bodies, so we must say that this tragedy is even worse than the tragedy in Bucha,” where retreating Russian forces left at least 458 bodies on the streets and in buildings, gardens and makeshift graves at the end of March. The New York Times documented the torture, rape and execution of civilians by Russian soldiers in Bucha, a town a few miles west of Kyiv, after Moscow abandoned its push to take the capital.

Mr. Bolvinov told Sky News that the grave site in Izium was “one of the biggest burials in one liberated city.” The Ukrainian authorities, he added, were aware of other burial sites in areas of the Kharkiv region that had been under Russian control.

The Ukrainian prosecutor general’s office is already investigating possible war crimes in Zaliznychne, a recently liberated village in the region.

In August, the U.S. State Department and Yale University researchers said there were signs pointing to possible mass graves in some areas of the eastern Donetsk region, near sites that were part of a “filtration system” used for processing detainees and prisoners.

Russia is the true inheritor of the Nazi legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aren't they also trying to hide the dead Russian soldiers body