Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not defending paying 11k for a cat per se, but the breed it is is a mix between a wild Serval and a Cat and is prohibited to own in parts of the US.

So shes, like, super cat lady and absolutely should be going ballistic to get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Barudak posted:

Im not defending paying 11k for a cat per se, but the breed it is is a mix between a wild Serval and a Cat and is prohibited to own in parts of the US.

So shes, like, super cat lady and absolutely should be going ballistic to get it back.
Doesn't this also mean they have special care requirements because they're not as domesticated as a domestic housecat? Like they're not completely wild but I wouldn't really want to attempt to kidnap one, for multiple reasons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Doesn't this also mean they have special care requirements because they're not as domesticated as a domestic housecat? Like they're not completely wild but I wouldn't really want to attempt to kidnap one, for multiple reasons.

I am not an expert, but iirc how much serval is still in there will influence it and if its a true first generation one I would assume its a nightmare pet to own. As the generations continue they get, obviously, more cat like and at certain blend they're just legally considered a cat.

I dated someone who wanted to own Fennec Foxes and had a friend who owned a sugar glider and I was thrust into the world of "The esotericness of my pet is my personality"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

had a friend who owned a sugar baby was thrust into the world of "The weirdness of my pet is my personality"

yeah, older men tend to be into that

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bonster posted:

quote:

My son is counting down the days until he can legally change his name so he won’t be recognized.

Ahahahahahahaha god drat :pwn:

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 15, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cowslips Warren posted:

My dad decided to teach me how to drive by taking me to a local college parking lot the first week of school, and practice everything from starting the car to turning to parking. To all the students that day, I am sorry, you probably heard my crying in between his yelling that I was horrible at this.

Sorry your dad sucks rear end. My dad also took me to a lot but it was fun cause he let me gun it and slam on brakes so i knew what i would feel like. and he took me to another vacant lot in the winter so i could practice handling the car sliding on ice. he let me whip it around and fishtail all over, and it legit saved my rear end more than once on icy roads.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 15, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sorry your dad sucks rear end. My dad also took me to a lot but it was fun cause he let me gun it and slam on brakes so i new what i would feel like. and he took me to another vacant lot in the winter so i could practice handling the car sliding on ice. he let me whip it around and fishtai lal lover, and it legit saved my rear end more than once on icy roads.
Everytime it snowed my parents made me go out and drive in it so I could get more comfortable. Also I learned to drive in a cemetery because as my mom said everyone was already dead so not like I could hurt anyone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My dad took me out driving in the high school parking lot... in the summer when it was empty.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Everytime it snowed my parents made me go out and drive in it so I could get more comfortable. Also I learned to drive in a cemetery because as my mom said everyone was already dead so not like I could hurt anyone.

The groundskeeper was deeply hurt and swore eternal vengeance on your bloodline, probably

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My father taught me the basics in an empty parking lot in our family minivan. He said if you can learn in a big car, then you can drive almost anything.

One month later, he gave me the keys to our Ford Econoline van. No rearview mirror. He sat in the passenger seat and told me to drive 30 miles so he could make a delivery on the west side of Chicago during rush hour. He said if I could make the round trip without his intervention, I could handle almost anything the driver's test would throw at me.

One terrifying hour later, I pulled it off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my friend that I think his girl friend is about to leave him?

Lol, Ruby is emigrating to Dipacistan.

Update: poo poo has hit the fun. Last night, Tom knocked on my door crying, she kicked him out. They were talking and he was beginning for her to stay, he offered to find a part time job and do more around the house but she wouldn’t listen to him and didn’t care that he wanted to try. She said she’s leaving in 2 weeks time. He asked where and if they could meet and work on things while leaving separately but she’s moving abroad. She asked him to go and stay someplace else while she is packing and he can move back in once she leaves. She told him she had money saved up for him so he'll have time to find job. He asked her if he could get them now since he has to go someplace else to stay and she said absolutely not. She also said that because of that (him asking her) she wasn’t going to give him money for 6 months as she initially planned but only for 3 months because he only caresw about money.So he is not staying at mine because he doesn’t have money to stay elsewhere for 2 weeks and she wouldn’t even give him a penny. He has his debit card (they had a joined account and she had a separate one) but she’s transferred all but £100. That’s all he has for 2 weeks. As you can see, she’s not the saint you guys make her up to be.

Tom is heartbroken and all she cares is money and her move. She doesn't care how he feels or if he has a place to stay for the 2 weeks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
An office park on the weekend is the place to start teaching a kid how to drive, nothing but open space, but with reasonable markings to use as lanes, etc. Also good for learning how to ride a bike.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Biplane posted:

The groundskeeper was deeply hurt and swore eternal vengeance on your bloodline, probably

For the record it was my brother that hit a gravestone while learning to drive.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DTaeKim posted:

My father taught me the basics in an empty parking lot in our family minivan. He said if you can learn in a big car, then you can drive almost anything.

One month later, he gave me the keys to our Ford Econoline van. No rearview mirror. He sat in the passenger seat and told me to drive 30 miles so he could make a delivery on the west side of Chicago during rush hour. He said if I could make the round trip without his intervention, I could handle almost anything the driver's test would throw at me.

Baptism on fire it sounds like.

My wife’s mother who drove a lift bus for the local transit agency made her parallel park a crew cab F350 dually downtown.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

therobit posted:

An office park on the weekend is the place to start teaching a kid how to drive, nothing but open space, but with reasonable markings to use as lanes, etc. Also good for learning how to ride a bike.

We used the university's stadium parking lot. Part of it was gravel, so I was sailing across that and hit a gully. The car bottomed out with an almighty bang and if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I would have hit the roof.

My Dad very calmly said, "might want to slow down a little."

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Bonster posted:

We used the university's stadium parking lot. Part of it was gravel, so I was sailing across that and hit a gully. The car bottomed out with an almighty bang and if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I would have hit the roof.

After I got a learner's permit my dad made me drive the family from Michigan to New York city at 15. It wasn't until he taught me how to drive a stick that the swearing started in earnest, which was honestly an improvement for him!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Update: poo poo has hit the fun. Last night, Tom knocked on my door crying, she kicked him out. They were talking and he was beginning for her to stay, he offered to find a part time job and do more around the house but she wouldn’t listen to him and didn’t care that he wanted to try. She said she’s leaving in 2 weeks time. He asked where and if they could meet and work on things while leaving separately but she’s moving abroad. She asked him to go and stay someplace else while she is packing and he can move back in once she leaves. She told him she had money saved up for him so he'll have time to find job. He asked her if he could get them now since he has to go someplace else to stay and she said absolutely not. She also said that because of that (him asking her) she wasn’t going to give him money for 6 months as she initially planned but only for 3 months because he only caresw about money.So he is not staying at mine because he doesn’t have money to stay elsewhere for 2 weeks and she wouldn’t even give him a penny. He has his debit card (they had a joined account and she had a separate one) but she’s transferred all but £100. That’s all he has for 2 weeks. As you can see, she’s not the saint you guys make her up to be.

Tom is heartbroken and all she cares is money and her move. She doesn't care how he feels or if he has a place to stay for the 2 weeks.

Odds are 3 million to 1 that what Tom called nagging was Ruby begging him to get a part time job and do more around the house, and her giving up "nagging" was her deciding on this instead.

Wonder how little he was doing round the house that he thought "I'll do more!" was tempting?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

the OP is so weird

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Bonster posted:

I did that with a driving instructor (got a big discount on insurance for doing some course) and he said "wow cool just like in the movies." He also spent most of his time reading the cars manual while I drove

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not including my wife in decisions with contractors?

If you're going to spend the effort writing a giant fake post, spend the extra 3 minutes to make a new account!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

B-Rock452 posted:

I did that with a driving instructor (got a big discount on insurance for doing some course) and he said "wow cool just like in the movies." He also spent most of his time reading the cars manual while I drove
I have mentally cast Tony Shaloub as your driving instructor, you’re welcome for the visual

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My first experience behind the wheel was in my dad’s stick-shift PT Cruiser that he’d parallel parked on an incline behind another car and a ditch. When I took my foot of the break the car rolled backwards towards the ditch, and I was terrified of hitting the car in front of me because I had zero experience using a clutch (or any car bigger than a go-cart).

Eventually I burst into tears and we tried again later in an empty parking lot. Later my mom just hired a driving instructor. I still don’t know how to drive with a clutch.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DTaeKim posted:

I learned in a station wagon, my first highway driving experience was him just randomly pulling over to the side of the road, telling me to get in the drivers seat and accelerate to highway speed. I was swerving like crazy because I had never dealt with momentum like that before in a vehicle that heavy, after about a minute he screamed at me to pull over and swap back.

I also took my drivers test in that car and failed because I wasn't able to parallel park inside the cones set up for a compact sedan. The second time I took the test I just pulled up as close to the cones as i possibly could and told the Examiner "If I'm driving a station wagon and I see a spot that small I'm gonna find a different spot and walk." and they gave me a passing grade.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (F42) partner (M47) is trapped in a Time Warp & often no fun to be around

quote:

I love my guy, but he's getting on my last nerve

He insists that NOTHING good culture-wise has existed since the 80's/early 90's

Won't listen to music, watch television shows, or watch movies unless they're from this era

It's like he's suddenly this cantankerous old man

I guess at first I thought it was charming when we met, like, God he REALLY loves this old school punk-rock music, or these old Spielberg films, or these retro tv shows...

I also didn't know it was a hard and fast "rule," like this preference would come to dominate his life

But now it's frustrating.

I find things I think he'll want to watch with me & he'll refuse, saying: "they can't make good movies or TV shows anymore."

He never wants to go to the movies and that's one of my favorite things to do, unless it's a spin on a classic, like the new J.J. Abrams Star Wars films.

That and the Spiderman remakes were all I could get him to see, and he complained the whole time. ☹️

He even won't watch sports unless they're highlights from this era (Tyson's heavyweight bouts, Jordan with the Bulls, etc)

He loves to rant and rave about how awful everything is now & I don't agree.

Honestly, I thought a lot of the 80's were really cheesy, and didn't really relate to the decade that much, even when I was living in/thru it.

Like, I've always been a spirit of the 60's/70's girl.

I don't like "synth pop" or all those awful sitcoms or Valley Girl fashion/speak.

He even dresses almost exactly like he did when he was a teen, which I don't mind, but it seems a little extreme to have a "uniform:" black jeans, band Tshirt from that era, black sneakers.

He will wear this to the gym even or out exercising with me.

I feel like he's missing out on so much by not participating in modern culture.

There are sooooo many great shows, films, and music being made today.

It makes me feel hurt or neglected, like what I enjoy isn't important, when he refuses to try stuff out with me

Is there a way I can bring him into this century?

TL;DR: partner won't participate in contemporary culture, is trapped in eighties

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Bramble posted:

What's it like dating Ernest Cline?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

She's stuck doing the Time Warp again

It's just a jump to the left

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bramble posted:

Tell him if he wants to stay around, he needs to go back...to the future

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Bramble posted:

I'd tell him it's Arrested Development, but that came out in 2003 so he'd have no idea what I was talking about...

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Imagine thinking that the era that made My Two Dads a smash hit was the pinnacle of television

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
we got ourselves a hipster here boys!

* drags out the acid vat *

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Kurieg posted:

What's it like dating Ernest Cline?

lol * finger guns *

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mossyfisk posted:

The works of the catteries must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of cats dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the pets, but this could not be. How would they buy cats at twenty thousand dollars a pair if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the cats, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the pets. A million people lonely, needing the cats- and kerosene sprayed over the furry mountains. And the smell of rot fills the country. Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump dogs in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the lonely people from fishing them out.

Pointing this out as excellent work.

If I recall the source, it's a passage from Grapes of Wrath adapted for cats.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hughlander posted:

If you're going to spend the effort writing a giant fake post, spend the extra 3 minutes to make a new account!

but then you don't get to keep all the fake internet points?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My dad made me drive us home from the DMV the day I got my learners permit.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Barudak posted:

Calling BS on this one, 1st and even 2nd gen Savannah cats are intensely territorial and pack-minded. OP would have a serious problem having people over without them getting attacked, let alone picking one up, taking it outside, and shoving it in a car.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kru posted:

ranch means bungalow?? what the hell :<

Honey, fetch me the Hidden Valley Bungalow dressing

Hughlander posted:

Are we just going to ignore 'child of the corn' there?

He Who Tantrums Between The Rows

metachronos posted:

I know this is a few pages back but the leap-year birthday story is maddening. What an rear end in a top hat manager and strange company.

With her boss's logic about her birthdays, she should sue him for hiring an underage worker & violating child labor laws

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

compshateme85 posted:

Calling BS on this one, 1st and even 2nd gen Savannah cats are intensely territorial and pack-minded. OP would have a serious problem having people over without them getting attacked, let alone picking one up, taking it outside, and shoving it in a car.

they said it jumped into the car

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

The Bramble posted:

She forgot to insist “breaking up is NOT an option”, how are we supposed to approach this when the clear answer is still on the table??

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for how I reacted when my boyfriend tried to pull me onstage for a hypnotism show?

quote:

I had gone to Vegas with a few friends, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend's brother. We ended up going to a hypnotism show after having gone out for drinks.

The drinks were hitting me pretty hard when I walked in and I was having a great time until the part where they call people up onstage. And they picked me. I was feeling pretty drunk and not wanting to do it, so I shook my head no. But then my boyfriend grabbed me and tried to pull me up to the stage. I tried to resist being pulled along but he was really yanking me up there

We'd gotten the attention of the rest of the audience and they were all cheering for him to pull me up there, and I was kinda pissed off because first I was feeling a little too drunk and nauseous, and second because if my boyfriend had not wanted to do something I'd respect that.

I've often even been the "bad guy" saying no to things for him so he wouldn't have to because of social anxiety. So I was angry that he didn't respect it the other way around.

So when he tried to pull me up the stairs to the stage I just went completely limp. 170 pounds of dead weight collapsing onto the bottom stair. I also started laughing at the whole situation (remember, drunk)

He tried to lift me up and I went full noodly, and then his brother joined in and they both managed to lift me up but couldn't keep ahold of me so I just kept sliding to the ground. The crowd was laughing but more at the guys now, some people were joking about how the guys couldn't even lift a girl together.

Someone in the crowd yelled out to ask if I was ok, and I yelled back "No, I think I've just suddenly found myself single. Wasn't expecting that tonight!"

The hypnotist cracked a few jokes about how Vegas is the best place to find yourself suddenly single, then said that he couldn't hypnotize someone who was "Obviously not open to persuasion of any sort!"

I felt kinda bad for disrupting the show. Though maybe he wasn't bothered, it was a comedy show after all

I grabbed my friends and headed out, telling my boyfriend not to follow me.

They took me back to their hotel room and told me to sleep it off, figuring I hadn't meant what I'd said about the breakup.

But in the morning, my (now ex) boyfriend came by wanting to talk, and I stood by what I said, that it was over. I was angry I'd always been sensitive to his needs, even letting him cast me as the bad guy to get out of plans he didn't want to do. But he saw my consent as a joke? I was over it...

He was furious saying I was being rash, I'd humiliated him by dumping him in front if a crowd, and he didn't even get it... How if I didn't want a scene, I made a bigger scene?

I didn't feel like I was being rash, I want a partner who doesn't think it's funny to hear my "no" and ignore it. Not just ignore it but think it's funny to push me to do the poo poo I said no to anyway.

AITA for how I reacted when my boyfriend tried to pull me onstage for a hypnotism show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Pete AF, I love it.