Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Devor posted:

You could stifle the second trigger if you were an opponent of Dark Depths, right?

Edit: Signs point to no from my googles

You can. But it will just trigger again.
If Depths is in play, with no counters, it will just keep triggering. Over and over until someone removes it from play or adds a counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Devor posted:

Sorry, my conception was that the intervening if would create a second trigger that actually creates the token.

I think your right. There are two triggers here. Trophy can only interact with the first one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Devor posted:

Sorry, my conception was that the intervening if would create a second trigger that actually creates the token.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but that's what happens?
Except second also includes "third", "fourth", "fifth" and so on.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
My conception, which I think does not follow from the rules:

quote:

(A) When Dark Depths has no ice counters on it, sacrifice it.

(B) If you do, create Marit Lage, a legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying and indestructible.

(A) goes on stack. Destroying land breaks up the combo, because (B) never happens.

(A) goes on stack. Resolves. (B) sees land sacrificed, puts a new trigger on stack.

But this doesn't work because the Intervening If is not a separate trigger, it's all just part of the first trigger.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Devor posted:

But this doesn't work because the Intervening If is not a separate trigger, it's all just part of the first trigger.

Right, it's not (A) going on the stack, it's (A)(B) going on the stack. Really, you get a trigger on the stack that reads "sacrifice Dark Depths. If you do, create ML etc etc" this is to ensure that when the trigger resolves you have to sacrifice DD in order to get the effect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Devor posted:

So an "intervening if" has a specific meaning in magic: and you can tell intervening ifs because they're written as "Whenever [thing happens] if ..."
Dark depths doesn't have an intervening if trigger. It just has a trigger.

But you got there in the end: Sacrificing Depths nd making the token is all a singular triggered ability.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

"If you do" is a conditional not a trigger, it all resolves at once off the original trigger.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Neat!

code:
Psychomancer
1B
Artifact Creature - Necron Wizard
Flying

Whenever Psychomancer or another nontoken artifact you control is put into a graveyard or exiled from the battlefield, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Non token looks like it was added just to make it less Legacy playable but IDK, Artifact Blood Artist might still be!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That goober pinging on treasures would probably be too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bugsy posted:

That goober pinging on treasures would probably be too much.

Plus there's this in that deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ah yes, Trazyn the Goes Infinite

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Finally, a use for that foil Pili-Pala, Trazyn rules

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

Finally, a use for that foil Pili-Pala, Trazyn rules

Buried Alive can throw Palladium Myr and Pili-Pala into the yard, then you can go infinite with Trazyn lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mcmagic posted:

Sheoldred is not only a loving stupid card that is poorly deigned and boring, it's also loving VERY annoying to play against on Arena because if you're tapped out and they play it, it will feed you right into your draw step on your turn even if you have a instant speed kill spell for it that you could cast on your upkeep even if that just makes you die. This happens no matter how fast you click on the stop too.

This just happened to me after reading this, thanks for passing along the curse

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I know its expensive and all but this is a stupid loving card and i love it

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think they added a special pause pre-combat for stuff like Legion Warboss. Maybe they'll do one now in upkeep for stuff like Sheoldred.

edit: Felt like a genius adding a stop when Warboss was on the stack so I could avoid having a token be created, but it was annoying that that was necessary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

I know its expensive and all but this is a stupid loving card and i love it

That's fine. Just play him with Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/ghostmoding/status/1570430950953156609?s=20&t=ikKhxt5u5OJ1Rz8iQe8lZg

Its time for the bad combooooos

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wait I thought you couldn't respond to things in your untap/upkeep/draw phases?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Johnny Truant posted:

You can't do stuff during Untap unless an ability was triggered by something untapping, but Upkeep and Draw phases are valid times to do things in Magic.

E.g. in your draw step (after you've drawn), I cast Vendilion Clique

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Johnny Truant posted:

You can?
Not untap, but the other two yes players receive priority.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well dang, you learn something new (and very important...) every day!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Devor posted:

You can't do stuff during Untap unless an ability was triggered by something untapping,

Even still, the trigger happens in the upkeep I think

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I’ll never forget there’s room in between untapping and drawing after a game I thought I had won versus a cycling deck I had milled to 0 that flared me before he lost. I go through the same thing of never being quick enough to turn on full control for sheoldred when I could kill her.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Buried Alive can throw Palladium Myr and Pili-Pala into the yard, then you can go infinite with Trazyn lol

Oh yeah, forgot the payoff card, Walking Ballista.

A wincon in one card!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Even still, the trigger happens in the upkeep I think

Correct, it waits till upkeep to go onto the stack.

scytale posted:

I’ll never forget there’s room in between untapping and drawing after a game I thought I had won versus a cycling deck I had milled to 0 that flared me before he lost. I go through the same thing of never being quick enough to turn on full control for sheoldred when I could kill her.

My best limited moment ever was winning with my final card in hand, an instant x damage spell, tapping every permanent I controlled, for exactsies, on my upkeep, with an empty library.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This guy owns. He's expensive but very powerful.

I like this deck a lot more than the other ones so far, with these previews.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Have entire decklists come out yet, or just the new cards?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Framboise posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/warhammer-40000-commander-decklists

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's interesting how much better the commanders in the deck are than the face commanders

I mean, we still haven't seen an Urza or a Winota level commander yet, but...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Framboise posted:

one a day at 2pst
but theyre always late

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I loving love this guy, I loved Necrotic Ooze back in the day and now I get it as a commander, except it can also do Staff of Domination lines.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Necron deck has some solid reprints;

Mystic Forge
Caged Sun
Living Death
Darkness
Endless Atlas
Gilded lotus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Darkness means you won't have to use the art made by a Nazi.
But you will have to use the art depicting space-nazis.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Necrons aren't nazis afaik, just soulless automatons hellbent on destroying all organic life. Which is probably less bad.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 16, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Shortest Path posted:

The Necrons aren't nazis afaik, just soulless automatons hellbent on destroying all organic life. Which is probably less bad.

It's 40k. They're all Nazis to see extent

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The necrons are Space Pharoahs!!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HootTheOwl posted:

It's 40k. They're all Nazis to see extent

They're really not, the Imperium kinda are. But the Orks aren't, the Necrons aren't, the Tau aren't (they're communists instead), the Tyranids are just hungry.

The Shortest Path posted:

New lore is that they're not this, they're space Tomb Kings. More seriously, Szarekh the Silent King, their overall leader, wants to return them to their flesh and blood bodies which requires organic life to exist. He returned to the galaxy to stop the Tyranids from consuming all organic life.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eej posted:

The necrons are Space Pharoahs!!

Pharaohs are just ye-olde Egyptian Nazis.

The Tau are commie-Nazis.

The orks are hunter gatherers who also are ethno Nazis

I don't know what the gently caress the eldar are but I'm pretty sure they're sex Nazis after they made a sex demon.

Tyranids are a metaphor for imperialism. And Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Necron deck has some solid reprints;

Mystic Forge
Caged Sun
Living Death
Darkness
Endless Atlas