Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of Spitfire Labs, one of the founders, and I believe current owners, outed themselves loudly and proudly as a transphobe, so.... there ya go. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/megancomposer/status/1566881704492531712?t=HWpD1c-UP6OvMJbI9OFgsA&s=19

Yeah sucks because labs is his baby.

Ugh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

apatheticman posted:

Yeah sucks because labs is his baby.

Ugh..

Well, gently caress.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

There's Lexicon's own PCM Native reverb bundle, as well as maybe the Relab LX480 could come close?

I have an absolute poo poo ton of Impulse Response files if you're into that, as well.

Between those IR's, ValhallaDSP and Eventide Black Hole I feel no need to venture elsewhere personally.

I have Valhalla Vintage Verb. Does that do 224 stuff?

Btw RoboCop is in my top three all time favorite movies, so much respect for that Clarence avatar. Goddamn what a perfect movie.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/SpitfireAudio/status/1567096663470211072?s=20&t=LmbxW50yrb5CeE9X4OS2ug

He's "taking a break",

Nuked his twitter.

Still liking comments of encouragement on his youtube though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I will never understand why tossers like him seem to think "I'm a dad" is a catch-all explanation for their bigotry. Said as a dad. It's disgraceful, always makes me feel sad, what if their kid doesn't fit their mental image and ends up needing a dad who understands and won't reject or hate them? "No not that kind of dad" I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Agreed posted:

I will never understand why tossers like him seem to think "I'm a dad" is a catch-all explanation for their bigotry. Said as a dad. It's disgraceful, always makes me feel sad, what if their kid doesn't fit their mental image and ends up needing a dad who understands and won't reject or hate them? "No not that kind of dad" I guess.

I'm a dad twice over and I'm with you there. I even hear well-meaning people say 'I'd rather have a gay/trans kid than a dead one' which, y'know, GOOD, but gently caress, why does it even have to come to this? :psyduck:

I wouldn't read the comments for that tweet, btw; LOT of people who are defending the dude. It's gross.

Anyway, VSTs! I love Serum and Steve Duda seems awesome, how bout y'all?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm sorry to say that the Slate Digital MO-TT thing really does do a much better job emulating the Ableton multiband compared to the Steve Duda freebie. Kinda angry I've only tried it out now, it's the sound.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

I wouldn't read the comments for that tweet, btw; LOT of people who are defending the dude. It's gross.

Yeah I made that mistake and it's not a good ride. The thing about it is, even if you agreed with the dude (which screw you if you do), he absolutely hosed every one of his colleagues and sprayed diarrhea all over their brand by doing that. Not just wrong and awful, but an insanely selfish and stupid thing to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I made that mistake and it's not a good ride. The thing about it is, even if you agreed with the dude (which screw you if you do), he absolutely hosed every one of his colleagues and sprayed diarrhea all over their brand by doing that. Not just wrong and awful, but an insanely selfish and stupid thing to do.

Makes me wonder how many people I currently support who are secretly complete bastards.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Makes me wonder how many people I currently support who are secretly complete bastards.

Good news, with the increasing economic hardship and conservative media rage farming for views you'll find out sooner than you think!

Edit

Is there something that does a similar "coloring" job to RC-20.

I feel like I just reach for it for default.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

Good news, with the increasing economic hardship and conservative media rage farming for views you'll find out sooner than you think!

Edit

This free plugin just came out. I haven't had time to play with it yet, but the demos look good.

https://higherhz.com/hz-multiplier/

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I grabbed Slate's Fresh Air whilst it's free and am super impressed.
It's an exciter kinda thing that affects mids and treble and it is exactly the kind of thing you stick on the end of an electric guitar bus, move the knobs a bit and then suddenly they work. Possibly easy to overdo but I reckon it will also sound really good on vocals too.
It does need iLok if that's an issue for people, but hey, it's free and it was very easy to authorise.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

Edit

Arturia's Tape Mello-FI plugin is pretty good and in the same ballpark. It's not as flexible as RC-20 but for degraded tape sounds I think it actually sounds better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sorry, I know we're sort of moving past it but goddamn.

https://twitter.com/CFlanagan_Audio/status/1567026824030429185?t=n8DO0Tg_uvkclrjku0umkw&s=19

:discourse:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
NI just killed Absynth :catstare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

drat, how? No more support?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The guy behind it left the company some time ago, and there's speculation that sales of it would not justify hiring further support of it.

Plugin Alliance, another Soundwide company, has re-tuned their Loyalty Vouchers to suck one time and then retuned them again recently to suck even more. Izotope and NI's next big software package updates are underwhelming. I feel like the VCs that bought these companies are not really worried about making them awesome so much as pushing people to subscription services, getting as inflated a sub base as possible, then selling for a profit, based on what I've seen so far.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tbh I don't feel the need for anymore NI plugins after Komplete 13, and as long as Plugin Alliance occasionally run sales where their stupid priced plugins go insane cheap I don't particularly feel the urge to subscribe to them either.

They have a few bits I still want that I haven't either grabbed on sale or got free in that promo when they got bought out, but the sales are frequent enough that I can wait til the next one.

I understand why both companies and a bunch of customers (this hobby ain't cheap, particularly if you are new, or easily swayed by influencers on YouTube) like the sub model, and I think stuff like splices rent to own is good, but I'm not paying 20 quid a month or whatever to keep using plugins. That will soon add up to ridiculous money if you sub to PA, and Slate, and Pro Tools etc, same as streaming services.
I have three BX channel strips (one was free in the aforementioned promotion, the other two were during summer sale for 90% off) and even that is realistically more than enough and I only use 2 of them. Yeah I want the SSL E and G for completionists sake to go with the J, but it's a want, not a need. Between Cubase stock plugins, them for "analogue" and Neutron 3 which I got in a Plugin Boutique bundle with Ozone and Nectar for big discount I'm already stuck for choice.
I'm definitely getting more done and results I'm happier with with less plugins and removing option paralysis.
As with most things, if I can't afford it, I can't have it and will either look for a free alternative or wait til I can afford it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Did Absynth get an M1 Mac update before it got axed?

And yeah, Komplete 14 is pretty underwhelming. As best I can tell, all that's included in the Komplete Standard update outside of new preset/sample packs (which are cool but not why I pay for Komplete) is Playbox, and I guess iZotope Ozone 10 Standard (which isn't a draw as I have Ozone 9 Advanced arleady). It seems like they're pushing tighter NI and iZotope integration, but it seems like this transition is going to be a mess with iZotope products now being acquired via both NI (does Ozone from Komplete now download via Native Access?) and iZotope.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When I had to reinstall everything 5 weeks ago, well after the buyout, I still had to install NI stuff via Native Access (now version 2. Slightly easier to navigate I guess) but my izotope things were still through their horrid launcher that takes ages, multiple prompts, and leaves a whole bunch of redundant things as part of the installation.

PA's install manager is OK though.

Annoying that I still need 3 different installation managers and logins for what is now the same company!

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
installation managers are a loving plague.

take me back to the days of everything just being in a big rar archive that i can dump into a giant unorganized folder!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

NonzeroCircle posted:

It was only after hearing NI was discontinuing Absynth that I learned that Brian Clevinger (author of Absynth) released a new synth called Plasmonic last year: https://rhizomatic.fr/

It sounds pretty epic, but looks way too complicated for me.

EDIT: On closer look, it's not THAT complicated, actually. Just a different way of representing synth parameters from what I'm used to.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 9, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I didn't get on with it when I demo'd it tbh.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a library that I can use to mimic an intimate string quartet / small ensemble group. Ideally violins, violas, cellos, double bass optional. This is to go with piano in some 'modern classical' pieces I'm writing.

Would need to be better than Logic's smart strings / samplers as I feel they are a bit transparently sampled when used in such a sparse arrangement.

Have looked at some Spitfire Audio stuff but it all seems to be bigger orchestras and tbh I find it hard to figure out what each of the many many collections do and don't have.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here's... uhh... something.

Musicradar posted:

Voxengo plugin developer says he’s broken into “some ‘backdoor’ in mathematics itself” that proves that the universe has a ‘creator’

So, this plugin dev has somehow found god in the code.

:stare:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Aleksey Vaneev deals with mental illness the strongest impacts of which seem to come and go. Earlier this year, he took his website offline suddenly claiming that he discovered that it had been hacked and all of his work was destroyed, and then claiming that someone close to him must have betrayed him and attacked his work. Distributors tried and failed to get in touch, his products were pulled from everywhere. Then it was back online within a couple weeks, and nothing ever came of the claim that it had been hacked or anything else, and he sort of admitted that there had not been a problem in the first place. He also got in some hot water for perceived support of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, though it's possible something was lost in translation as he made comments in English that is definitely not his first language. He released a statement afterward, worth reading if you want a little more context for his sometimes strange statements.

I have used Deft Compressor and Gliss EQ for a long time (bought between 2009 and 2011 iirc) and they're great tools that he has updated over and over throughout the years. Deft Compressor is still one of the compressors I reach for first for "usual" compression tasks. But I wouldn't ask Aleksey's advice on politics or teleology. His social media posts have been full of wacky claims for years.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 13, 2022

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a library that I can use to mimic an intimate string quartet / small ensemble group. Ideally violins, violas, cellos, double bass optional. This is to go with piano in some 'modern classical' pieces I'm writing.
I have a soft spot for OT Amber: https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/amber
it's downtuned, but has a fantastic feature* where you can put legato transitions on any long articulation, including portatos and double swells. Emotional lines write themselves. A good pairing to layer would be the first chairs patch from Berlin Inspire 1 (€21) or the string quintet from Metropolis Ark 3 (€34). They're way more limited and all parts are baked together, so you'll get doubled voices playing chords. That plus solo lines with Amber should get you a solid chamber sound

*) their legacy Kontakt libs could let you do that in theory but it didn't work as well as it does in Sine

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I'm thinking of adding a Universal Audio Volt 2 interface to my home studio. Would that allow me to start using UA plugins? I've never owned any of their hardware before and I'm sick of waiting for Spark's PC version.

While I'm here, I've been listening to some old Del tha Funkee Homosapien and realized I could really use a little go-to plugin for the bitcrushed sound of samples on an Akai MPC. Any suggestions there?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i can’t speak for UA but you’ll never be in a drought of options when it comes to bitcrushers. i use the one by kilohearts most of the time. it’s free and slots in their ecosystem and it sounds… well it sounds like a bitcrusher. nothing fancy but it does the vast majority of what you’d want a bitcrusher to do. there’s some more complex ones with special algorithms and other things but unless you’re looking for very specific results you do not need anything fancy in order to crush bits

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NI's Kontakt and Battery have sampling models that emulate the MPC60 for that 12-bit crunch. TAL-Sampler is even more involved.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

TAL-DAC is the bitcrusher section of TAL-sampler as a separate effect. it’s got some more bells and whistles than the KHS one and some different algorithms. it’s definitely way more feature packed but it does cost money. a very reasonable amount of money, but if you care more about getting the general flavor of bitcrush more than accurate emulations of classic sampler DACs and ADCs then it’s money you can spend better elsewhere

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Another option is this SP950 emulator:

https://wavetracing.com/products/sp950

Ricky Tinez uses it a lot for sample processing and gets some nice crunch out of it.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Feel I have to drop the obligatory link to Plogue ChipCrusher here as well! Plenty of algorithms and settings to play around with. (Generous free trial, also.)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Would need to be better than Logic's smart strings / samplers as I feel they are a bit transparently sampled when used in such a sparse arrangement.

Have looked at some Spitfire Audio stuff but it all seems to be bigger orchestras and tbh I find it hard to figure out what each of the many many collections do and don't have.

Embertone's Intimate Strings series is excellent for this. They're incredibly detailed with a lot of articulations, so you can fine tune them to really get exactly what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8MmyPNyqcg

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

DammitJanet posted:

I have Valhalla Vintage Verb. Does that do 224 stuff?

Btw RoboCop is in my top three all time favorite movies, so much respect for that Clarence avatar. Goddamn what a perfect movie.

Yes Vintage verb is what I see most mentioned when compared to 224 actually.

And Robocop is top 2 for me! Just behind Lawrence of Arabia

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Sonic Charge needs to start making things again.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Yes Vintage verb is what I see most mentioned when compared to 224 actually.

And Robocop is top 2 for me! Just behind Lawrence of Arabia

I’ll put Lawrence at the top of my list. Somehow made it through film school without ever seeing that one.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I like the Joshua Bell Violin library by Embertone, it’s one of the better solo violin libraries I’ve heard but I also like the sound of the library trig discipline posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8QN5wbOul8

I didn’t realize anyone in here hosed with orchestral libraries, do any of you make like mock-ups of soundtrack stuff that you like, or make your own stuff that’s mostly orchestral? If so I’d love to hear it, I’ve been trying to become familiar enough with these libraries to write my own stuff, and I’m slowly getting there but it’s difficult.

Edit: just saw what Christian Henson tweeted, I always knew he sucked deep down (or I just found him incredibly annoying in his YouTube videos)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 18, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bop bop perano posted:

Edit: just saw what Christian Henson tweeted, I always knew he sucked deep down (or I just found him incredibly annoying in his YouTube videos)

I'm very glad Spitfire distanced themselves from him, both because I own some of their products and because I may be working directly with them on a project sometime soon.

I do a tiny bit of orchestral stuff but am not, by any stretch of the imagination, good at it. Mostly I just use string libraries in the context of ambient stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I never see anybody talk about Arturia SparkLE here. Is it very popular out there in the real world, wherever that may be?

Also, I'm so old I'm still tickled to have endless undo and redo in Surge VST. It's like endless breadsticks.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 22, 2022