Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Did Pete even check to see if Frankie has an allergy to the webs? Perhaps he has a medical condition that can be fatal if he’s upside down for too long. This is unacceptable behavior and I won’t read Spider-Man comics any longer. #SpiderManisCanceled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I heard that he doesn't even have a license to commit his senseless acts of illegal vigilantism. Who is he, that he deems to put the law into his own hands? Does he think he's better than us regular folk? He's an elitist who never had any real problems and decides to brutalized the little people, with no accountability. Must be some rich inheritor under that mask of his. I wonder what vile things he did to poor Jameson, to make him turn his public opinion.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean if we really want to suck the fun out of it we could just point out that Spidey's been catching this guy since he was a young man and he's now in middle-age (how old is Peter, again?) and he's still a petty crook. Maybe Spidey needs to review the impact his policy on criminals is actually having. Maybe we need to look at the larger societal causes of crime instead of just dehumanizing people and throwing them into the slammer.

Who's on art and colors though that's really good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nilbop posted:

I mean if we really want to suck the fun out of it we could just point out that Spidey's been catching this guy since he was a young man and he's now in middle-age (how old is Peter, again?) and he's still a petty crook. Maybe Spidey needs to review the impact his policy on criminals is actually having. Maybe we need to look at the larger societal causes of crime instead of just dehumanizing people and throwing them into the slammer.

this is why Doreen Green is the only true hero

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

Michael Cho is the only artist listed, so I assume he did it all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

I mean if we really want to suck the fun out of it

BSS in a nutshell.txt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lightning Comics #2 (1941)

The Occult Files of Dr. Spektor #24 (1977)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Darthemed posted:

The Occult Files of Dr. Spektor #24 (1977)

I'm going to start referring to basic life skills as lesser super powers

"Ah, but dear daughter, while the monster slashed and tore my REO Speedwagon shirt, I was able to mend it using my lesser power of sewing."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whereas I'm going to start referring to it as one of my top powers.

"For you see my erstwhile comrade, I possess the supreme power of waterflight. If you had deigned to gaze out into the lake you would have witnessed my locomotive mastery of the waves."
"gently caress's sake, that looked more like drowning than swimming. We saw you from the breakfast nook and I was honestly about to run out and save you until I saw the flutter board you had hidden come up and smack you in the face. I also don't think you know what erstwhile means you goof."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Whereas I'm going to start referring to it as one of my top powers.

"For you see my erstwhile comrade, I possess the supreme power of waterflight. If you had deigned to gaze out into the lake you would have witnessed my locomotive mastery of the waves."
"gently caress's sake, that looked more like drowning than swimming. We saw you from the breakfast nook and I was honestly about to run out and save you until I saw the flutter board you had hidden come up and smack you in the face. I also don't think you know what erstwhile means you goof."

https://youtu.be/bHmBSfci0yE

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Incredible Hulk #256 (1980)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
That bearskin cloak really says something.

"I got this off a Viking."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Your... marine... biology?

It's so difficult to tell if Fletcher Hanks had a sense of humor.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of modern tribute because yeah that's both a tiny bit too on-the-nose and not quite insane enough to make me believe it's the work of the original rear end in a top hat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drakyn posted:

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of modern tribute because yeah that's both a tiny bit too on-the-nose and not quite insane enough to make me believe it's the work of the original rear end in a top hat.

The villains have too much actual power, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hanks wouldn't draw anything that complex. he'd get tired of drawing multiple dudes and thus fuse them into a single dude, repeatedly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Incredible Hulk #106 (1968)

Ghost Rider #68 (1982)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Batgirls #9

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hanks wouldn't draw anything that complex. he'd get tired of drawing multiple dudes and thus fuse them into a single dude, repeatedly.

he would then find a reason to just have a head to draw

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

CzarChasm posted:

I'm going to start referring to basic life skills as lesser super powers

I was looking at who was in the Batgirls panel and came across this in Stephanie Brown's wiki page.

quote:

Stephanie suffers the same weakness of any normal human without super-powers such as illness, injury and the ability to die.

Is that really an ability?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MasterBuilder posted:

I was looking at who was in the Batgirls panel and came across this in Stephanie Brown's wiki page.

Ask a Tardigrade

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ygolonac posted:

That bearskin cloak really says something.

"I got this off a Viking."
If I remember my Official Handbook to the Mavel Universe correctly, her cloak is actually made up of thousands and thousands of needles that she also fires out of her hands in some way.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensational She-Hulk #59 (1994)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

It's the spell to summon Moola to the thread!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Darthemed posted:

Sensational She-Hulk #59 (1994)
Is that Stilt-Man and Taskmaster? what
(never even heard of The Porcupine since he's supposed to be dead)

In any case, if anyone in Marvel was going to logic someone to death, of course it's She-Hulk.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

It's one of her lesser powers

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Has she ever actually died, though? Because if not, that's just speculation.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FFT posted:

Is that Stilt-Man and Taskmaster? what
(never even heard of The Porcupine since he's supposed to be dead)

In any case, if anyone in Marvel was going to logic someone to death, of course it's She-Hulk.

The best example of this was in Quaser, where the Watchers (the whole race) are dealing with a philosophical plague.

Essentially Watchers are sworn not to interfere, only to watch.
But some then started realizing that watching was a form of interference. And so they just drop dead.

So stuff happens and Quasar figures out that Watchers offing themselves is causing more interference than their watching.

At which point you see a dead Watcher stand up and go "huh I never really thought about it like that before."

And suddenly all the Watchers who logicked themselves to death, logic themselves back to life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Libra posted:

Has she ever actually died, though? Because if not, that's just speculation.

She was killed back when she was Robin for a hot minute. Although that was retconned into just appearing to die.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Or she just failed to die, because that's not one of her abilities. :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lots of Robins die, nbd

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

All Robins die.

Not all Robins truly live.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
A responsible Batman will rotate his Robins every 10k patrols.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Spidey meets Sinister in this week's ASM #9.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sexual Aluminum posted:

A responsible Batman will rotate his Robins every 10k patrols.

Assuming Batman patrols Gotham twice every night (which is an unreasonable assumption, given how much time he spends dead/in space/in the past/in the future/in an alternate timeline/recovering from getting beaten up), this would still only result in a Robin Rotation every ~13.5 years.

A responsible Batman would rotate Robins every 100 patrols. Mainline Batman probably does it every 500-600 patrols, when the last Robin dies/gets sent to the past/et cetera.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Question IRL posted:

The best example of this was in Quaser, where the Watchers (the whole race) are dealing with a philosophical plague.

Essentially Watchers are sworn not to interfere, only to watch.
But some then started realizing that watching was a form of interference. And so they just drop dead.

So stuff happens and Quasar figures out that Watchers offing themselves is causing more interference than their watching.

At which point you see a dead Watcher stand up and go "huh I never really thought about it like that before."

And suddenly all the Watchers who logicked themselves to death, logic themselves back to life.

What I'm getting from this and the panels posted recently is that Quasar is extremely good

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Some more good stuff from X-Factor.

The second one is particularly amusing to me because I once had to hold my tongue when a very narcissistic person I worked with pronounced "ennui" as "ennoo."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have been in a committed crime-fighting superhero sidekick relationship for the past 70 years. I’m the hero and I have 9 sidekicks, five boys and 4 girls. It’s been going great, it’s all consensual and everyone if having a good time. We sometimes live together, but we hang out at my batcave almost every day. It is not a purely vigilante relationship either. We all share an emotional connection and it’s like any other relationship but punching and gadgets.
Of course, as the hero, there are some rules. They need to call me Batman. No teaming up with anyone except for me. If i tell someone to do something, they do it (within bounds of course). The punishments depend on the person, some of my sidekicks get killed, some try to go solo. It all depends on what I agree on with each sidekick. We have safe words too, and we stop the patrols whenever anyone says one. It seems weird to villains but this is what we enjoy and we like to be open about it. Everything has been great.

At least I thought everything was going great. I woke up a couple days ago and told one of my sidekicks to get me a cup of coffee. He didn’t do it. I told him that I was going to punish him (force him to fight Condiment King, which can be easily resisted) and he said that he wouldn’t do it. Now, if one of my sidekicks acts like this I break it off with them so I threatened him that I would kick him out of the Bat-family. The other sidekicks chimed in and said that if I kick him out, they all leave. That’s right; my sidekicks have unionized.

They handed me a sheet of paper with a list of demands. The demands included (I’m not sharing all of them for their privacy), “Allow teaming up with other heroes” and “Demands are to only be followed after nightfall”. I tried to negotiate, but they were firm in their demands. I couldn’t punish them. My hands are tied, and I have no power anymore.

I told them that I would think about it for a couple days. They haven’t left me yet, they still stay overnight, but this list of demands is lingering over our relationship and our crime fighting. They want to keep a superhero, and no one has stepped up to replace me. They thought about finding a new hero online but only if I don’t give into their demands. I want to negotiate because I don’t want to give up too much power. I offered “team ups with other heroes only before 6 pm” and “follow demands after 1 pm”. I also offered following each demand separately but not both together.

I really do have feelings for them, and they have feelings for me. But the power balance was shifted when they unionized and I don’t know what to do. The relationship isn’t as satisfying anymore and I don’t know if it will ever be.

What should I do. Do I let them get a new hero and leave them? Or do I give into their demands and relinquish some of my power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Who is the rando doing the Sally Floyd bit to Peter?