Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, but have you seen this?

It was a cruel joke to pique my interest with the left half of the package, only to reveal the true horrors inside on the right half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I don't think they actually care for the most part, turns out people will happily shovel massive piles of the most basic flavours into their gobs.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

First of May posted:

Not extinct! Just not commercially viable. And modern tasters have put this candy flavor and haven't found it to hold up. Gros Michel is maybe sweeter with a softer texture, but still doesn't taste like the candy flavor.

yeah they can still be had....if you are willing to pay the price.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm addicted to hotdog flavored candy corn.

I'm joking, I've never tried them, but could you imagine???

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SYNTHESIS MODE ACTIVATE

Foam hot dogs/circus hot dogs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

The standard bananas we currently get are Cavendish bananas, Circus Peanuts, and most other banana flavored things, are based on the extinct Gros Michel cultivar

Discuss

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

uber_stoat posted:

yeah they can still be had....if you are willing to pay the price.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty tempted.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Crust First posted:

Circus peanuts? Gross. I'll just keep eating my Shrimp and Bananas like a normal person.

The banana makes sense but why the small pastries?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

First of May posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty tempted.

:same:

I know they have other cultivars at Jungle Jim's, I should go see exactly what kinds they have next time I'm there

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Apple bananas a/k/a Latundan bananas are the most excellent bananas

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Let’s not forget my personal favorite old-timey candy, the wax bottle. Forget all the bullshit, just drink some corn syrup.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Silent Linguist posted:

Let’s not forget my personal favorite old-timey candy, the wax bottle. Forget all the bullshit, just drink some corn syrup.

I used to love shoving those fuckers in my mouth whole and just chewing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also the fact that Tootsie Roll puts out two entire "candies" that are effectively wax novelties makes me even more sure that Tootsie rolls themselves are loving wax because they taste like wax

Fuckin confauxtionary

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Brawnfire posted:

I used to love shoving those fuckers in my mouth whole and just chewing

:same:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the best bananas are mini fried bananas sold by dudes on motorcycles in Bangkok traffic jams

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CommonShore posted:

the best bananas are mini fried bananas sold by dudes on motorcycles in Bangkok traffic jams

sounds good af

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we aren't allowed anything as cool as that here. plus the banana man would just get pulped by a giant pickup.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

uber_stoat posted:

we aren't allowed anything as cool as that here. plus the banana man would just get pulped by a giant pickup.
The :911: way to make tostones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How about some fake bananas made from gelatine covered with chocolate?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

i should get some of those to carry in my pocket, whip one out while i'm standing in line somewhere and chew on it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

i should get some of those to carry in my pocket, whip one out while i'm standing in line somewhere and chew on it.

i'd smash like and subscribe for sure, yo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

Continental Cola is a fairly obscure cola that I remember drinking once as a kid and thinking it was terrible. Some of those off-brand colas can be pretty good, but Continental Cola was vile; just weird tasting poo poo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Where can I get shrimp and bananas? Is that still around?

I’d try hotdog and hamburger candy corn just for the curiosity factor

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't drink any soda that lacks gentian root

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

TV Zombie posted:

Bakery and produce departments, respectively

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/atlasobscura/status/1570510516337917955?s=20&t=IqBAZiuUeSHG8uw6fu5A2w

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I legit love me a peanut butter, mayo, and pickle sandwich.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

TV Zombie posted:

The UK

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

VictualSquid posted:

So where is the filling on the Jello > Gummi candy chewiness scale? Because I used to like chocolate covered gummi bears, but the last time I had them they must have been expired or the package opened or something as they were way too hard to be enjoyed. OTOH, if this is soft like jello, that would be too soft to hold up under the chocolate coating.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

rydiafan posted:

I legit love me a peanut butter, mayo, and pickle sandwich.

gently caress yeah. Try adding a handful of Ruffles or other crinkle cut chips/crisps.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Don't get Brach's circus peanuts.

Real circus peanuts are made by Spangler, and usually any random generic bag you get at a gas station or whatever will be made by spangler anyway. They're usually just a little more stale. You can see the name spangler stamped on some of the circus peanuts. As far as I know, there aren't any cheaper, low-quality circus peanuts in production. I can't imagine it's a profitable thing to try to undercut the competition with.

There's also actually different flavors of circus peanuts, too. You can get a variety pack with red (cherry), orange (banana), yellow (lemon), and white (vanilla). The lemon ones are really loving good, but the cherry and vanilla ones are such a steep dropoff behind lemon and banana that I usually don't bother with the variety pack.

Also for the record I loving love necco wafers. I also like good & plentys. You could say I'm something of an expert in terrible candy. I also really love Andes mints, though, and those are objectively a sleeper top-tier candy.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

That upper right one reminded me of a book we had when i was a kid that showed ways to arrange veggies and fruits to make... i guess you would call it art? I can't find it on Google unfortunately. It looked neat but wasn't particularly appetizing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

I don't drink any soda that lacks gentian root

I was up in Vermont a few weeks ago and I had Moxie out of a glass bottle for the first time in probably 15 years and it was so good.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

AlbieQuirky posted:

Apple bananas a/k/a Latundan bananas are the most excellent bananas

I've been wondering what the proper name for apple bananas was. Completely agree, btw.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve never had Circus Peanuts and now I feel like I need to try some. Where am I gonna get them? Like can I roll up into a 7 - 11 and get some?

If you don't have a gas station nearby that has an isle of weird off-brand/no-brand candy and snacks you can always do what I did tonight, and hit up the dollar store. They usually have weird snacks you don't see elsewhere, plus its a dollar!(well 1.25 now)

*edit* trip report: The texture is somewhere between the dry crust on the ouside of a cake frosting and a dense marshmallow; like if you were trying to make taffy and accidently made a marshmallow. I can't taste much beyond sweet but the smell is banana, but then again the smell of new skin liquid bandage is banana. It isn't *bad* tasting, but in a world where peanut butter cups exist why would you settle for this?

Sekhmnet has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Sep 16, 2022

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Brawnfire posted:

Also the fact that Tootsie Roll puts out two entire "candies" that are effectively wax novelties makes me even more sure that Tootsie rolls themselves are loving wax because they taste like wax

Fuckin confauxtionary

I dunno, I quite liked the Tootsie Roll variety packs growing up, they had cherry/lemon/lime/orange/...vanilla. The store used to stock these little rolls of them that you could re-use as a piggy bank once you were done. Out of nostalgia/quarantine I bought a big old bag from Amazon in 2020 and haven't made a dent in it since. I think I've eaten a dozen of them over the past 2 years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ninurta posted:

I dunno, I quite liked the Tootsie Roll variety packs growing up, they had cherry/lemon/lime/orange/...vanilla. The store used to stock these little rolls of them that you could re-use as a piggy bank once you were done. Out of nostalgia/quarantine I bought a big old bag from Amazon in 2020 and haven't made a dent in it since. I think I've eaten a dozen of them over the past 2 years.

I never really liked the regular chocolate tootsie rolls, but the vanilla et al ones were always a huge treat that we'd only get because they showed up in the candy tossed out at parades. I have a feeling I'd have the same reaction if I gave in and bought them for a nostalgia trip, though... :sigh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Vanilla tootsie rolls are the only good ones. I don't make the rules.

Dixville posted:

That upper right one reminded me of a book we had when i was a kid that showed ways to arrange veggies and fruits to make... i guess you would call it art? I can't find it on Google unfortunately. It looked neat but wasn't particularly appetizing.
Stuff like this?

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1566781921664929798
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1562526611106562048
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1505630558814150659

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Yes, and also lol at eggplant dick 🍆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
God drat kids today, getting all hopped up on jenkem and going to rag doll tea parties.