Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

But enough of that, welcome to "Lazarus Risen" day in Mutts!

I know it's just "reference a thing" humor that we get mad at other comics for, but I've been really enjoying this week of Mutts! I think the difference is that Patrick McDonnell is taking special care to craft these characters in "Mutts style" as opposed to copying or doing whatever hell-merger of styles Batiuk is trying right now.

I've always been a bit of a sucker for Mutts though. It's cute, it's simple, it's very rarely funny but I usually smile at it. I'm never sad to see Mutts. It is a nice staple to have around. It reminds me of what Wally Wood said about Bushmiller-era Nancy: "By the time you decided not to read it, you already had."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

just what the kids want

(e, f, new page):

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh I am ALL ABOUT a Slylock Fox animated movie. Especially if the background art is filled with tons of little details that have nothing to do with the actual case, but you think they should. I'll lose my poo poo if Slylock has to spot six differences between two pictures to solve a case.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

give slylock a gun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Finally the internet will fill with the sexy fan art we've all been craving.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I feel this, some of the happiest I've been at a job has been customer service because it feels nice to help people compared to staring at a computer for 9 hours to make Value for shareholders in an office. But those good days don't outweigh the poo poo treatment from the companies and bad customers, plus the other issues like poo poo pay, pressure to never use holidays or sick days, etc..

If I could make what I do now in my meaningless office job with similar levels of autonomy I'd probably consider service sector work again! But that's never happening.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Countblanc posted:

I feel this, some of the happiest I've been at a job has been customer service because it feels nice to help people compared to staring at a computer for 9 hours to make Value for shareholders in an office. But those good days don't outweigh the poo poo treatment from the companies and bad customers, plus the other issues like poo poo pay, pressure to never use holidays or sick days, etc..

If I could make what I do now in my meaningless office job with similar levels of autonomy I'd probably consider service sector work again! But that's never happening.

I actually really liked selling TVs and computers and video games to people, and I LOVED working in the backroom and unloading trucks. If I could have made enough to sustain a reasonable living doing that, I would probably have stayed there instead of going into student debt. (Which is still worth the trade-off, given the money and lack of supervision I have now.)

One thing about working retail, which Retail really understands (and so did the show Superstore, which owed a lot to Feuti), is that the parts of the job that make it a bad job are almost entirely from corporate and middle management. The customers are bad, yes. But it's not as bad as the low pay, always being short-staffed, lack of benefits, general poo poo treatment from upper-levels, all stuff that corporate could change but doesn't. The worst customer is still not as bad as the best corporate suit. And you can put up with a lot more poo poo from customers when you make $25 an hour than you can at $8

That's why I like when Feuti includes little details like Marla waiting with the little girl. Showing that it's not the work that's really the bad part, it's the Stewarts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am morbidly afraid of the internet getting horny for Cassandra Cat

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm ready to get horny for Count Weirdly.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Low-hanging fruit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hwurmp posted:

I am morbidly afraid of the internet getting horny for Cassandra Cat

Happened awhile ago, though it'll be much more widespread and likely to pop off on the artist hivemind. Speaking of horny:

Jucika "458 - Jucika And The Dog Owner"

"459 - Jucika Starts The Season"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I mean I guess you could pull those rocks off your dead dad's belly and bring him home to the cave and poo poo, but that does seem like a lot of effort.

In this gritty reboot of the popular comic, a bitter retired Slylock must solve the case that ended his career (he put the wrong raccoon in prison)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (April 9-15, 1984)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Slylock is fine and all that, but when are we getting our Inspector Danger cartoon?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kennel posted:

I'm ready to get horny for Count Weirdly.

ah man, count weirdly has absolute tumblr sexyman vibes now that i think about it :negative:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Man these lambing season strips are rough.
I hate to get all emotional over critters I wouldn’t blink at eating sooner or later.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

ah man, count weirdly has absolute tumblr sexyman vibes now that i think about it :negative:

Just get him voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Seeing the same color: there's subtle shifts (i don't even see the same hues in each eye, one's slightly redder) but by looking not just at color but how we respond to the relationships between them (brain scans, not just "taught that red and blue make purple") it's pretty clear that nobody's seeing "blue" for what others call "orange". We don't have a definitive answer. At least last I checked.
Hanging upside down: If you wear goggles that flip everything, your brain will correct it because you've spend a few days doing that correction manually as you try to navigate the world. Hanging upside-down your brain knows what you're seeing is correct because of the feedback the body is giving, I don't think that would work.
Sea cucumbers: yeah, they're gross. Vomit their stomach at things to eat them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

davidspackage posted:

I mean I guess you could pull those rocks off your dead dad's belly and bring him home to the cave and poo poo, but that does seem like a lot of effort.

At least having a body bag or something sturdy to carry the remains would help but absolutely yes. Trying to carry a corpse out of the wilderness will turn you into one too, most likely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

This is effort stuff. There might still be something to the "jules does multiple strips at once and gets tired of it" theory, even if it's not a whole week at a time.
Maybe it's more like a month. Or maybe just these days + leadup an editor has knocked on her door.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The books have arrived!

So yeah, Rocky and Bullwinkle. I won't go into the show itself too much, but it ran 1959-64 for five seasons, the first two on ABC (as Rocky and His Friends), and the final three on NBC (as The Bullwinkle Show), followed by decades of reruns in syndication. Produced by Jay Ward and Bill Scott, the show featured a moose and a squirrel getting into Cold War-era satirical adventures. The show was massively popular, spawning tie-ins and merchandise, including books, toys, records, and of course, comics. The book goes into the history of the comic, but I'll give a brief overview in the paragraph below:

Back then, comic strip tie-ins to popular cartoons wasn't unusual; properties such as The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Yogi Bear, Mickey Mouse, and others had comic strips running in papers, some for a surprisingly long time. This practice dwindled into the 1990s, but there were still a handful of later examples like Rugrats, The Simpsons, and Dr. Katz. So Bullwinkle getting a newspaper strip wasn't a weird decision. However, despite the show's popularity, getting the papers to buy the strip proved to be underwhelming. Part of that maybe because it was through a third-rate newspaper syndicate, Bell-McClure, which was never a major player compared to King Features. Because so few papers picked it up they opted not to add a Sunday feature, the strip only running Monday thru Saturdays instead. The combination of the strip under-performing in papers, plus the show getting cancelled lead to the strip having a short run, from 1962 to 1965 (one year after the show ended its run).

Which is a shame, because the comic's not bad. It follows the show's charm really well, with witty banter and fourth wall gags present in the source material. Bill Scott, the show's co-producer and the voice of Bullwinkle, praised the comic in later interviews. The strip's artist and writer was Al Kilgore, who had a wide and varied career, ranging from comics to animation to even occasional acting.

Anyway, I'll be running the strip alongside Arnold. Here are the first two pages; afterwards I'll run one page at a time. Unfortunately, whoever put the book together put the edge of the strip close to the spine. I'll do my best to scan it, but I also don't want to break the book's spine.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Seeing the same color: there's subtle shifts (i don't even see the same hues in each eye, one's slightly redder) but by looking not just at color but how we respond to the relationships between them (brain scans, not just "taught that red and blue make purple") it's pretty clear that nobody's seeing "blue" for what others call "orange". We don't have a definitive answer. At least last I checked.

Doesn't stop metaphysics classes in college from spending 3+ weeks discussing this as if it's a real thing. :psyduck:

"But what if you're really seeing the same thing, but were taught from birth that green is red and red is green..."
"That's called language. Language, motherfuckers. Spectrum wavelengths are inarguable, you goddamn wastes of philosophical space."

(Why no, I am not at at all bitter about having to take a metaphysics course as an elective while majoring as a biological engineer. Not one bit.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess it's possible she's ~more popular~ what with being an influencer and all. But the rest of it?

Okay, NOW the GC commenters are bitching big time. This was interesting, though:

I might look into this

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

'

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JFC Jim Jimmy Jim

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Okay, I decided to go for it. So here's an abriged, but still way too long, version of That Time Melissa Got Teen Pregnant in Gil Thorp.

CONTENT WARNING: This is back when the strip was written by Jerry Jenkins who also co-wrote the Left Behind books, so that might inform you what angle this is going to go at this issue from. Expect anti-choice rhetoric and slut shaming. Also this is the old art and it's ugly as hell. Hope all y'all love flattops.

We start on a Wednesday, for some reason. Melissa and Kyle are dating and doing fine.

Kyle is on the basketball team, but he seems distracted.

Kyle doesn't want to actually tell his friend what's wrong, but a few strips later, and after a break for Christmas, he spills the beans

This is the one that made me decide to go ahead and post these. That last panel is giving me strong Chick Tract vibes. Anyway, Friend is sworn to secrecy, so of course the very next day...

A few strips later Melissa finally takes a pregnancy test to make it official, and...

Good to see there are still some responsible teens out there! (The boy, anyway. The other one looks suspiciously like a girl and, spoiler alert, Jerry Jenkins will have you know that unwed girls cannot be trusted.)

Telling the parents doesn't go well. Kyle is forbidden from seeing Melissa again. Will Melissa keep the baby? "Absolutely," says Kyle.

Unfortunately, being a future teen dad is causing Kyle to suck rear end at basketball and, even worse, not care about the team, so Coach Thorp gets involved.

Blah blah blah. Let's finally get to why we're here. The A word

And now, the strip referenced today:

Oh no! A feminist! And it turns out the commenter from before was right. Original Gil told her NOT to get an abortion.

poo poo! They're everywhere! Somebody needs to get these women under control!

Gil bargains with Melissa and gets her to agree that she will keep the baby if he finds a place for her to live where she will have access to help. She gives him a week to find such a place.

The other teens have a tiff about what Girlfriend would do if she got teen pregnant. She would have an abortion because "It's my body!" "But what about the baby's body," Boyfriend asks. CHECK MATE, FEMINIST! But for some reason she just gets mad! Women, right?

Gil and Mimi talk it over with their children and they all decide that Melissa will move in with them

The other teens patch things up because nobody knows or cares, least of all Jerry Jenkins. Teen girl tells Melissa she's glad she's keeping the baby (so I guess she decided not to be a feminist after all). Melissa doesn't talk to Kyle anymore because his parents won't let him, but she's over it. She bonds with the Thorps.

But Then! Known fuckhead Marty Moon breaks the story that there is a pregnant teen in Coach Thorps house!!

It's his journalistic duty to tell the whole town which teens are the sluttiest! Hell, he's probably right to do so. You know how SLUTS are...

Melissa begins openly and awkwardly flirting with Gil. Mimi notices. Gil notices. EVERYONE notices. Melissa tries a flimsy and convoluted ploy to get herself a movie date alone with Gil, but it doesn't work because it's stupid. Gil and Mimi sit her down and set her straight.

Definitely a good rule for all Proper Married Men to have! There is are multiple boring basketball games that go on for ages that nobody cares about and I refuse to read and so it takes weeks for me to realize that we've just moved on to a new plot, apparently??? Huh, okay. In theory if I kept reading this plotline would pick up again eventually, but I'm not looking. So I guess Melissa had her baby and everything was just fine and it's totally easy actually to be a single teen mom.

THE END

And good riddance to Jerry Jenkins

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Human Resources Must Be Destroyed

Of Cooking and Murder

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Just wanted to say that I like Into Ilves, he's always got some wild stuff going on.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

Rocky and Bullwinkle

This is already the best thing in the whole thread. Not only is the tone of the show and the characters correct, there’s some neat visual gags like Boris in a high chair or the Hertz guy tossing Bullwinkle into the car. Thank you, man.

I can also see why it might not have been a success. As a kid, I received a small pile of random comics from my older brothers that included a first issue of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I had never seen the show, so it was impenetrable. Later I saw some episodes, revisited the comic, and it clicked. Both the comic book and this strip read just like a script of an episode.

So if you didn’t like this, everyone, go watch some Bullwinkle and come back to it. It’s too good to miss.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Literally the last comic strip I'd have guessed. COME ON PEOPLE WALLACE IS RIGHT THERE! :argh:

Crabgrass

Come on Miles don't be a wuss. Join the Jr crime league.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

readingatwork posted:

Literally the last comic strip I'd have guessed. COME ON PEOPLE WALLACE IS RIGHT THERE! :argh:
I'm not sure I'd trust a movie to do Wallace justice, tbh.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 28-29, 1992)

If Watterson was this cynical over contemporary news TV, he'd have gone loving nuclear if he was writing C&H during the social media age.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002