Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Kh1 Ne4
White needs to defend the f2 pawn to avoid m1, either Rf1, Re2, Qd2
Qg5

And then white has no options to defend against Qg2 or g1, but can delay the game with one more turn with a spite check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Might be missing something but:

White king to h1
Black knight from f6 to e4
(Doesn’t really matter what white does)
Black knight from e4 to f2 checkmate?

"Doesn't really matter what white does" is incorrect, because Re2 or Qd2 defends f2... they will take your knight if you move it to f2. However, with either of those moves you can take the queen with the e4 knight (..Nxc3 or ..Nxd2) after which I think ..Qg5 followed by ..Qg2 checkmate is unavoidable

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Oh yes, got some chores tonight is right - the Qg5 needs to be faster, otherwise white will defend against that with the c1 Bishop by playing e4.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

okay thanks all. After every game the summary is "3 mistakes, an embarrassing amount of blunders, 6 missed wins" and honestly it's the last bit that tilts me the most. I can put myself into these commanding positions but I don't know how to capitalize and can tell immediately when the game changes to the opponent's favour.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Is there any good video or article on general ideas after playing e3 as White in openings like the Nimzo-Indian and Semi-Slav? I realize these are very different openings, but my question's more about what proactive things you're supposed to do with such pawn structures. To me it's not very obvious so I end up playing random legal moves.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

stratdax posted:

okay thanks all. After every game the summary is "3 mistakes, an embarrassing amount of blunders, 6 missed wins" and honestly it's the last bit that tilts me the most. I can put myself into these commanding positions but I don't know how to capitalize and can tell immediately when the game changes to the opponent's favour.

Chess at every level is a game of missed opportunities so don't let the computer evaluation throw you too much.

You said your instinct was to take the rook. That would win you the exchange (i.e. a rook for your knight) which isn't a bad thing, but White's king is extremely exposed here. After it's forced to move to h1 there are no pawns protecting it and it's being swarmed by your pieces to the point where it has no legal moves. That should be a hint to start looking for ways to checkmate the white King - if you can figure that out, it'll be far better than just picking up a little bit of material.

Even without calculating out the full line, I was immediately attracted to Ne4 because (1) it threatens immediate checkmate with Nxf2, (2) it also threatens the white Queen, (3) it opens a diagonal up for you to bring your queen to g5 and threaten to bring it down to checkmate the white King too. If you look a little more you'll notice that White can't protect the f2 square while also keeping the Queen out of danger, so even if you don't see the checkmate, you are at least going to win the white Queen.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

stratdax posted:

I just read how to beat your dad at chess right now, which is really 50 mating patterns. I'm finding it helpful in learning what to look out for in these sorts of situations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ew

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Best part of this is he had to delete it because the person he retweeted changed their display name to Unionize Tesla

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Best part of this is he had to delete it because the person he retweeted changed their display name to Unionize Tesla

lol

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Helianthus Annuus posted:

chess dot com is a 2nd rate chess site. They have to pay GM Finegold NOT to play on lichess. Really says it all :roflolmao:

Really? Source?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its very common! but here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgvAmPexeU&t=634s

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Maybe a bit pedantic, but it sounds like he's not supposed to stream on lichess, not that he's not supposed to play at all. Which I guess makes sense, if you are a featured streamer on one platform that they require you don't stream on competing platform/s.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sub Rosa posted:

Laffo

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

So on and off I try the Sicilian Kan, and it's been for me "just another opening." Recently though, I did some study on it and came across this strong recommendation that you should "prevent white from playing e5", but they didn't really get into why.

I've been trying that out over the last couple of months -> defending the empty e5 square until I can't anymore, and taking it with my pawn if I feel about to lose it. Those games have been awesome, so much fun to play and my win rate I think is pretty high.

I still can't figure out why that one square seems to make a ton of difference, but I thought I'd share something random.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Apsyrtes posted:

So on and off I try the Sicilian Kan, and it's been for me "just another opening." Recently though, I did some study on it and came across this strong recommendation that you should "prevent white from playing e5", but they didn't really get into why.

I've been trying that out over the last couple of months -> defending the empty e5 square until I can't anymore, and taking it with my pawn if I feel about to lose it. Those games have been awesome, so much fun to play and my win rate I think is pretty high.

I still can't figure out why that one square seems to make a ton of difference, but I thought I'd share something random.

i've been playing the kan for like 25 years now so if you have any questions ask away

but yeah you want to stop white pushing e5 for three main reasons. the first is that something you have a N on f6 and obviously you want to keep it there. the other two have to do with restricting white's position: white's bishop is usually on d3 and can get really good if they can open it up, and e5 will also let white target a hole on d6 with something like Nc3-e4-d6.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Does anyone really play on the FIDE Online Arena? Lichess and chess.com get all the attention so I was surprised to find out about this. Apparently this counts to a FIDE online rating?

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

but yeah you want to stop white pushing e5 for three main reasons. the first is that something you have a N on f6 and obviously you want to keep it there. the other two have to do with restricting white's position: white's bishop is usually on d3 and can get really good if they can open it up, and e5 will also let white target a hole on d6 with something like Nc3-e4-d6.

OIC, I set a position up as black. If that white knight were on d6 supported by a pawn on e5 that would be madness, and the white squared bishop would be having a field day. Thanks - good stuff, I can use that.... I'll play a bit as white against a dumbed-to-my-level Hiarcs and start from a position where I've been allowed to play e5... see what happens.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

qsvui posted:

Does anyone really play on the FIDE Online Arena? Lichess and chess.com get all the attention so I was surprised to find out about this. Apparently this counts to a FIDE online rating?

I remember trying it when it came out but the interface wasn't great, almost everything was in Italian, and it was pay. Maybe things have changed.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I was white in this game, and that black bishop on g7 had just come back from a journey to take the rook I left hanging on a1. Still feeling the pain of this loss and concerned about being a whole rook down, I spent a lot of time analyzing this position to try and avoid further blunders.

I ended up playing d6. I am proud of that move and stand by my analysis, it was a great move. However... the computer has shown me that I missed a tactical opportunity. There is a much better move, can you find it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rxg7

If ... Kh8
Qh6#

If ... Kxg7
Bb3+ Kg8
Bh7+ Kxh7
Qf7+ Kh6
Qg7#

Of course black can delay by blocking with rook or queen but obviously doesn't change anything

Extra pieces don't mean much if they're sitting in the corner doing nothing!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1569983251912998913

I see the reporting over the incident is completely normal

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

They didn't even stop for a second to think about how preposterous the anal bead form factor is for housing a microcontroller and wireless module when a plug just makes perfect sense. And the plug stays in place for the rhythmic contraction input.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

former glory posted:

They didn't even stop for a second to think about how preposterous the anal bead form factor is for housing a microcontroller and wireless module when a plug just makes perfect sense. And the plug stays in place for the rhythmic contraction input.

Chess and teledildonics, together at last!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

former glory posted:

Plug would make for a better stand-in if you ran out of queens too.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Hello chess thread I have a rules question:

I just got checkmated by a Queen that I could legally take with my King (or so I thought) since the Rook defending it was pinned to the opponent's King.

I know that you can't move a King into check, but if the attacking piece is pinned and can't recapture is it really a check? Curious what the rule is on that. I mean, since Lichess said it was checkmate I guess I know but it seemed odd.

edit: to clarify, it wasn't the attacking piece (the Queen) but its only defender (a Rook) that was pinned. I thought I could take the queen since the Rook was pinned.

Hawklad fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 15, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You cannot make a move that results in your king being on a square targeted by an enemy piece, under any circumstances. If you have no legal moves because of that, either you're checkmated (if currently in check), or stalemated (if not).

No exceptions to that one!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The weird corner cases make a lot more sense if you consider an alternate version of chess where the goal is just to capture your opponent's king. Your king would die first so you would lose. Checkmate is just a formalization of the idea that your king being captured is inevitable

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
What he said, but like pretend mate isn't a thing, death of the king wins the game. You take the queen and then the rook plasters you anyway, game over.

cheetah7071 posted:

The weird corner cases make a lot more sense if you consider an alternate version of chess where the goal is just to capture your opponent's king. Your king would die first so you would lose. Checkmate is just a formalization of the idea that your king being captured is inevitable

this is a lot more eloquent than what I could come up with

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
That makes sense! Thanks for the clarifications. A case where I was being a little too clever for my own good.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

While it logically makes sense stalemate doesn't fit into this model at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Redmark posted:

While it logically makes sense stalemate doesn't fit into this model at all.

yeah stalemate should be a loss let's overthrow fide

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

stalemate is one of the best parts of chess, stealing a draw from the jaws of defeat is a sweeter feeling than winning sometimes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think it was gothamchess who said "yes, I know stalemate is bullshit, we're working on fixing it, but for now that's the rule, I'll make an update video if anything changes".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

My opponents don't need another method to win by thank you very much

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mfcrocker posted:

I see the reporting over the incident is completely normal

I saw one headline calling it chess' biggest scandal in 1,500 years. How easily we forget that 1,000 years ago, King Cnut got into a dispute over taking back an illegal move. The king wanted to take it back and make a different move, but his opponent wanted him to take it back and skip his turn. So Cnut ordered his guards to stab his opponent to death.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
neither magnus nor hans has founded a rival chess organization so it's not even up there for recent scandals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Bring hypnotists and murderers on bail back to cuts tournaments.