Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
could/would Marvel make a whole phase of individual X-Men movies to build up to the X-Men ensemble film, similar to how they did Avengers

like, how risky is a Cyclops movie, or a Jubilee Disney+ series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I know the answer is "extremely" but how extremely

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

could/would Marvel make a whole phase of individual X-Men movies to build up to the X-Men ensemble film, similar to how they did Avengers

They have a show about a baby tree creature, so not very.

Also, it's the X-Men. Apocalypse made a bunch of money.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I had a dream last night that Black Panther 2 had someone wearing a disguise to pretend to be T'Challa so people outside of Wakanda didn't know he was dead, and nobody recognized that T'Challa looked different because they can't tell black people apart.

It was actually a woman. She decided she didn't want to pretend to be some other superhero and decided to be her own superhero so she started going out there as herself. And Atlanteans were these creepy leech monsters that ate people. And then there was this thing where a gang of assassins were chasing her and they had this tall lanky giant ghoul thing to help them, and she stopped them by twerking on the ghoul and the ghoul started dancing with her and nobody wanted to fight anymore.

So I kinda want to see that movie now.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I will continue to insist that X-Men stuff should absolutely be a Disney+ series where they get to explore the characters in greater depth. Instead of trying to shrink everything down to have an ensemble cast of characters tell a story in 2 hours, having hour-long episodes with more focus on individual characters and backstories would be so much better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

Honestly I think they go in the opposite direction:

"And you must be Scott Summers."
"That was my birthname - my real name is Cyclops, please."

They did that in X-Men 2 when Magneto recruited Pyro.

Also, considering of the most popular musicians in the world goes by "Lil Nas X" I think we can have people just accept superhero names from now on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the prevailing trend seems to be introducing characters in shows then have them team up in the movies

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Also, considering of the most popular musicians in the world goes by "Lil Nas X" I think we can have people just accept superhero names from now on.

We can. Marvel can't get over the same tired joke.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

If anything, they'll make a heavy handed metaphor about deadnaming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it’s already pretty sop for the MCU to do that. We got a Thunderbolts movie coming up with people all introduced as supporting characters. We have the Young Avengers rumors and speculation. I think it’s entirely plausible that they could introduce individual X-Men first or do a New Mutants Disney+ series covering a different character each episode or something along those lines.

With Namor and Sabra coming I think we should be on the lookout to see if they’re mentioned as mutants. And see if something builds from there. Mutants who aren’t X-Men builds to maybe some individual X-Men showing up builds to “a mutant problem” builds to the X-Men.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

You're right, I totally forgot about that line. "No...what's your REAL name?"

I think at the time it was supposed to demonstrate how radical Magneto's ideology had become, but today it comes off much differently.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Splint Chesthair posted:

You're right, I totally forgot about that line. "No...what's your REAL name?"

I think at the time it was supposed to demonstrate how radical Magneto's ideology had become, but today it comes off much differently.

This was the same movie with "Have you tried not being a mutant?" and Magneto was played by an openly gay actor.

They knew what they were doing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

You hate the future but we have enough of your posts to create a simulated MacheteZombie who loves it.

Robert Downey Jr-bot is gonna give a great performance in Iron Man 7.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Honestly I think they go in the opposite direction:

"And you must be Scott Summers."
"That was my birthname - my real name is Cyclops, please."

No way in hell they don't have someone make a (terrible) joke about Professor Xavier going by Professor X.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
D+ wolverine and the xmen that is just like the comics, focused on students with Logan and Storm and the rest as the teachers, you get school drama and superhero adventure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MacheteZombie posted:

Looking forward to my simulacrum

I’m a Disney imagineer!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If they do do a Cyclops show, I kinda want them to go through the arc with Maddy so people can see that Cyclops used to be kind of a piece of poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok so I think in the name of satisfying everyone I’d pitch X-Men as 4 stages.

Stage 1: mutants exist and are everywhere. It’s better if these aren’t X-Men but certainly some could be. Players like Wolverine and Storm could easily be introduced elsewhere and stand on their own. Even get their own movies or series.

Stage 2: A Disney+ series focusing on multiple X-Men. You could basically just make this the second gen team of Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, etc. You can use whoever but I think the point would be a diverse showcase of characters introduced.

Stage 3: Xavier and his OG X-Men show up as a response. Cyclops, Jean, all the white bread students. And then the big story is needing to work with those more independent mutants we introduced earlier. I’m

Stage 4: You send Xavier and his boring ones to space and keep doing cool stories within mutants across the board.

Gologle posted:

If they do do a Cyclops show, I kinda want them to go through the arc with Maddy so people can see that Cyclops used to be kind of a piece of poo poo.

Was he ever not? His baseline seems to “arrogant douche” and at his worst he’s a global terrorist. And he’s being bad in relationships everywhere in between.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 15, 2022

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Robert Downey Jr-bot is gonna give a great performance in Iron Man 7.

Robot Downey Jr. was right there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I for one want them to jump into it so they can get to the mutants who were done bad by Fox, like Cyclops and Jean and Emma and Nightcrawler and Gambit and... everyone except Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine.

Edit: Actually you know what? gently caress Gambit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I for one want them to jump into it so they can get to the mutants who were done bad by Fox, like Cyclops and Jean and Emma and Nightcrawler and Gambit and... everyone except Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine.

Channing Tatum is sitting by the phone

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
One thing's for sure, I feel really bad for whoever has to fill Huge Jackman's shoes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

I’d make Rogue one of my core characters (along with Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Magneto, Emma, and Xavier) so Gambit can have a place in her branch of stories.

I don’t know why I’d make Rogue a core one. I just always liked her and there’s a lot of interesting story possibilites especially if you go the Mystique and Carol route.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Kid me loved Gambit :smith:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I just want classic '80s X-Men, not classic '90s X-Men.

And holy poo poo, the things I would do to end up getting a proper Excalibur spin-off later with Kitty and Kurt and Captain Britain all living in the lighthouse and having wacky adventures through time.

I know it will never happen. There just aren't enough of us who want such a thing. But I want such a thing, and until it doesn't happen I will continue to delude myself that it *could* happen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As i Saud, you're not going to not have Wolverine in the mcu. But I hope they good with modern "gives a poo poo and cares" wolverine who fully understands that he is a bad person but that gives him moral clarity rather than just bad rear end loner.

Why I am very pro Laura and even Gabby making it Wolverines, with murder dad and his stab daughters.

Besides that I Def want to see a proper Emma and Rogue. though God the shitstorm about Psylock of they do her original/current version rather than hot Asian ninja version. Dazzler is another I'd want to see, Quire and most importantly Glob Herman.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

STAC Goat posted:

I’d make Rogue one of my core characters (along with Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Magneto, Emma, and Xavier) so Gambit can have a place in her branch of stories.

I don’t know why I’d make Rogue a core one. I just always liked her and there’s a lot of interesting story possibilites especially if you go the Mystique and Carol route.

Rogue has history with Captain Marvel, it's a good choice imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rogue is definitely one of the most popular Xmen. Up there with Logan and Storm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gologle posted:

One thing's for sure, I feel really bad for whoever has to fill Huge Jackman's shoes.

They won't be able to fill his shoes because the actor will be much shorter, right Marvel?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Was he ever not? His baseline seems to “arrogant douche” and at his worst he’s a global terrorist. And he’s being bad in relationships everywhere in between.

Nah, you don't know Cyclops at all if that's what you think.

His personality is an introvert who was withdrawn and bullied as a kid who was forced into stepping into a role he didn't want but was the best option for. His whole deal as leader of the X-Men is being the guy who takes on all the weight of making decisions which could lead to people he cares about getting hurt or killed. He's constantly doubting himself but doing what he thinks is best, not just for him but for everyone else.

Leaving Madelyne was a low point for him and it took him years to get over that guilt, and he is still dealing with it. Like how he tried to help it so she could be resurrected on Krakoa.

He might project confidence but internally he's always questioning himself and wondering if he's doing the right thing. Only in recent years has he been able to start believing in the confidence he's projected and taking his leadership role to another level. Forming the X-Men with Jean against the council's wishes and revealing the secret of resurrection were both things that he questioned himself doing, but it was for the best.

Not a lot of writers used to get him, and especially in mainstream stuff like comics or movies he's usually just been the straight-laced foil to Wolverine. But ever since Morrison's New X-Men, most writers have done well with him. Whedon, Fraction and Gillen probably wrote him best. Bendis was a little hit and miss but overall seemed to get him. Hickman was good and Duggan is doing great with him.

But I'll always point to Uncanny X-Men 175 as one of the best Cyclops stories and if you wanna see how good a character he is, that's a great issue to read.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Pryor stuff is retconned now as like mind control anyway.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

I mean, to me the obvious move is to go with a Wolverine who's a little bit more like the comics ugly hairy psycho instead of the handsome romance novel guy that he basically was in the Fox movies.

I enjoy the MCU as a whole, but who is it's edgiest hero, really? Some of the Guardians could count but they're hanging out with comedy manchild Peter Quill and cartoon mascot Groot. If you count Netflix Daredevil, he's basically defined by the fact that despite being a Satanically-themed gimp suit wearing kung fu sadomasochist, he's also wracked with guilt over that fact and has this bizarre devotion to the letter of the law.

I'm sure there are people who would just prefer Laura directly takes the stage (which seems like a weird move to me, because her existence is kind of predicated on there being this amazing assassin named Wolverine that people thought was worth cloning) but having Logan go from a "genuinely antisocial struggling murder junkie" to "Proud member of a group that positively contributes to society" would be an arc that I don't think has been covered.

Although i agree i would probably like to see him de-emphasized in team movies so that the characters who haven't gotten their due could shine more. Maybe use him as a slightly spotlight-stealing guest star, like Spidey in Civil War/Infinity War/Endgame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, if you want laura you just make the story of logan her backstory. previous to the show/movie/whatever logan sacrificed himself for her and now she's trying to live up to it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

see global terrorist seems to imply that cyclops was wrong, which he was not

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think if you're gonna do Cyclops right, the first thing to notice is that literally everyone who ever falls for him is a telepath. He should be a more withdrawn, harsher Captain America -- you might not like him, and if you don't he is going to put in zero effort towards changing that, but when the chips are down you do what he says because he's said it and therefore it's the right thing to do, and he can hold literally any disparate group together through sheer force of will.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There should be a scene where they are playing cards and Gambit keeps accidentally charging the cards when he's excited about getting a good hand and Wolverine complains it isn't fair Cyclops is wearing sunglasses to cover his tells and then Cyclops takes off his glasses and blasts all the cards and table and Beast is there and all like "Oh my, well it would seem our friendly game of peaknuckle has devolved into a shall we say, game of war?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CapnAndy posted:

I think if you're gonna do Cyclops right, the first thing to notice is that literally everyone who ever falls for him is a telepath. He should be a more withdrawn, harsher Captain America -- you might not like him, and if you don't he is going to put in zero effort towards changing that, but when the chips are down you do what he says because he's said it and therefore it's the right thing to do, and he can hold literally any disparate group together through sheer force of will.
Cyclops should be more Nick Fury than Captain America

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

i mean, if you want laura you just make the story of logan her backstory. previous to the show/movie/whatever logan sacrificed himself for her and now she's trying to live up to it

That would work but I feel like ultimately no matter what they eventually end up doing they're gonna try to avoid using any of the Fox X-Men (and their stories) again*. They got a Patrick Stewart cameo in for fanservice just like Krasinski Mr. Fantastic, but that'll probably be the end of that timeline/those characters.

*...at least until the Hugh Jack-bot is completed and the Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan clones are ready to emerge from their tubes.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

F.D. Signifier posted:

Nick Fury is already more cyclops than captain America :haw:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

F.D. Signifier posted:

Assuming this isn't a number of eyes joke, I don't know what version of NIck Fury you had in mind there, but I have trouble seeing it with any of them.

I, like most people, used to be a "lol cyclops is a dickhead" guy but for me, from somewhere around the Morrison run on he's come more into his own, I think largely based around the fact that writers realized that if this guy is at the core of the X-Men (arguably more than Xavier) he needs to be there for reasons beyond he's a drama magnet and he was always there. So he starts to move away from being the teacher's pet who hates fun and is stuck with the X-Men because it's all he knows and instead grows into the guy who is proud of the fact that he considers himself to be the X-man, the mutant general who thought ahead, came up with a plan, and then came up with Batmanian number of contingencies.

This also makes him the perfect compliment to Storm, who is great at being a motivational and spiritual leader, but when it gets down to details she tends to do stuff like ditch the Morlocks so they can get Mutant Massacred or steal from the Wakandans and then be surprised when it turns out to be a problem later

In terms of my concept of the character at this point, Cyclops is like the mid point between Peter Parker and Steve Rogers. All of the experience, competence, and skill of the latter with all of the complex personal situations and less-than-top-rated social graces of the former.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

OnimaruXLR posted:

Assuming this isn't a number of eyes joke, I don't know what version of NIck Fury you had in mind there, but I have trouble seeing it with any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cyclops often gets the stick in the mud authority figure role like Captain America.

Cyclops is pretty great when he gets to empathize with his teammates, and can actually be pretty funny. Krakoa era Cyclops is one of my favorite characters.