Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

i need to learn to stop playing these events where the gimmick lends itself to one obvious and stupid strategy (mono red removal/haste) because the matchmaker knows to only ever match me against people who have crafted the absolute most bullshit thing to get the wins

Are there any formats you do like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I decided to do an SNC Quick Draft because there's a lot of cards in the set I got, like, two copies of but want 4, and I wanted to redeem my first terrible one (very first after going back to Magic).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/bdd6f25a0b414cadb167a02b2ee5f099 pretty happy with the result, so far it's 2-1. Also pretty lucky, I'm aware.

Open for suggestions!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lone Goat posted:

Game in Hand win rate (GIH)

Cheers.

How's this one looking? Took a sharp turn after the first few picks when i got passed a late Tatyova, and I think i managed to assemble something vaguely solid.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/fdb4ad81c81344adb73d9f11f21c4f1f/1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Opponent was forced to Gix my Sanctuary Warden out of my graveyard because it was the only legal target while I had a face-up Touch the Spirit Realm in my hand lol...

I could hear Jim Davis's Jim Ross "Bah gawd don't do this" clip playing as it happened

Edit: hmm i hate my opponent's deck but I also love it lol

Yeesh, this was the end state, hoped to deck them in the end since all my Wardens were in my last ten cards apparently lol, that took 40 minutes

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 15, 2022

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

King Keltair posted:

This was great, I kept going in the event each day because of how much I was enjoying myself. Only lost once to a burn deck, and going back that was just because I misspent my removal.

Probably going to try to upshift this to my first standard deck post-rotation. Going to go hunting through Golgari brews online for ideas now; does anyone have anything BG-ish they're running now or would recommend?

I'm running something similar in standard. It's not great, but it's fun and it can win some games. My decklist is weeks out of date though, it got to have so many one-ofs that I just turned it into a Brawl deck using Tatsunari. And then artisan came along. Man I'm gonna miss artisan, I was playing past my daily wins too for the joy of skyturtling. How often does artisan come around?

If you're willing to stay more BUG-ish, I really like Kotose in this kind of deck. Recurring her won me a few games. And prob would have won me even more if I knew the meta. Or if I thought a little harder. It's an interesting tension sometimes, deciding whether to take what's useful now or to take what might neuter their deck. There's also Mirrorshell Crab as a permanent that's also a counterspell. I'm not sure if the 4x Jewel Thief is still solid in standard, I added it after seeing the artisan meta, but it might be! Pretty good vs cheap removal and anvil tokens.

Also Slogurk + Takenuma is amazing. Slogurk with any of those legendary lands is great but Takenuma can act like a serious combat trick if you luck into milling lands.

palamedes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 15, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

I decided to do an SNC Quick Draft because there's a lot of cards in the set I got, like, two copies of but want 4, and I wanted to redeem my first terrible one (very first after going back to Magic).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/bdd6f25a0b414cadb167a02b2ee5f099 pretty happy with the result, so far it's 2-1. Also pretty lucky, I'm aware.

Open for suggestions!
Went 7-1. drat!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Funny, looks like wizards forgot to mention in the in-game description for this new phyrexian singleton event that it's actually alchemy :thumbsup:

didn't these events used to be that you would pay in once and everyone gets the same predetermined cards styles for each win? This one it's random and it's competitive, so you have to pay again to enter if you lose. at least there's dupe protection, but still. kinda sucks they're pushing alchemy this way. i might be tempted if it was just standard

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Consume your loot boxes within loot boxes built upon loot boxes. Our shareholders demand it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

yeah i'm not paying into this event lol

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I did but only because for some reason I thought it was one of the ones where you didn't get kicked out after so many losses so you'd eventually recoup your entry fee and could throw together whatever jank you wanted in a low-stakes, fun-time environment.

Got my jank kicked to the curb.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hooplah posted:

Funny, looks like wizards forgot to mention in the in-game description for this new phyrexian singleton event that it's actually alchemy :thumbsup:

didn't these events used to be that you would pay in once and everyone gets the same predetermined cards styles for each win? This one it's random and it's competitive, so you have to pay again to enter if you lose. at least there's dupe protection, but still. kinda sucks they're pushing alchemy this way. i might be tempted if it was just standard

This is the original format. The predetermined card styles for each win was a variation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's really funny that the poison counters are keyed off Phyrexian type because I've won a few games because they let through an actual phyrexian card while blocking the perpetually modified ones.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"The goal is always no bad drafts. You want to always get at least 3-3 in your bad drafts. Don't tank. Don't have a 0-3 or 1-3 draft." -- Jim Davis

this is how ive always approached it but im glad to hear it from other (much better) players

3-3 is almost breakeven at reward and variance so should be a target imo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

This deck walks an absolute razor's edge of efficiency and it wins or loses on mulls. I found running it for a few weeks on 4 wins wasn't enough to get out of plat, but it's got a 50% plus winrate, so it gets you there eventually, but it can be quite streaky and frustrating in short runs. 3 or 4 matches in a row where you mull to 0 before seeing a Minion gets kinda frustrating.

Maybe if you play for 4 wins a day it might take a while to climb the ladder, but I always play to the 15 daily wins and stop there... and today after a few weeks on ladder I just beat up rank #464 and broke into the numbered ranks myself:

A few seasons ago I was in the top 900, maybe I can do it again.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hammer Bro. posted:

I did but only because for some reason I thought it was one of the ones where you didn't get kicked out after so many losses so you'd eventually recoup your entry fee and could throw together whatever jank you wanted in a low-stakes, fun-time environment.

You probably thought this because that's how it was at least for SNC, which made for a great, fun way to buy cosmetics. Very sad to see them revert.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
10 minutes later...

I want to highlight that my last opponent *would* have won, but they made a common sequencing mistake that I see a lot of opponents do:

Opp killed my first Minion with a Turn 1 Fatal Push. Some turns later, I top-decked another Minion, gave it haste with Reckless Charge, and did Scale Up while holding Wild Shape in my hand. Scale Up turns Minion to a 6/4 Wurm, and Wild Shape changes it to a 1/3 Hexproof Turtle. The opponent got nervous and attempted to Vanishing Verse after I played Reckless Charge and while Scale Up was still on the stack. But, I still needed to attack as a 6-power to slam the dragon. If the opp had simply waited for the Scale Up to resolve (there was no harm in doing so), I would not have been able to save my Minion with Wild Shape without it turning back to a 1/3 Turtle and not having enough power to trigger a dragon. But because they got antsy and tried to remove Minion with Scale Up still on the stack, I was able to change it to the hexproof turtle, then the Verse resolves, THEN the Scale Up resovles and changes it back to a 6/4, and I win. So if they knew what they were doing they would have fizzled me and won guaranteed, but thankfully even Mythic players don't appreciate these subtleties yet.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 16, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sometimes one mis sequences it happens

but when youre on the plus side :chefskiss:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Share Bear posted:

sometimes one mis sequences it happens

but when youre on the plus side :chefskiss:

Yeah but I'd bet that opponent might go on to never realize what their mistake was and repeat it in the future. Like I'm proud to get into top 1000 again but only a little bit, because jeez the top players are boneheaded in Arena. I believe it when IRL tournament players say they have to go back to playing MTGO because the Arena competition is so soft.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other thing to consider is that your opponent doesn't actually know what cards you have in hand, so what is an obvious misplay when you have the relevant cards in front of you can be much less obvious from the other side of the table.

Like, if you think your opponent might have Bolt Bend, you want to play your interaction before Scale Up resolves. And for most of the general hexproof-granting stuff, it doesn't matter whether they play it before or after. Wild Shape is the only card where playing it before is wrong.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
as someone who has accidentally put generous visitor counters on enemy creatures like a dozen times when i was trying to exile them with a tuuch the spirit realm or whatever im absolutely not surprised. playing on mobile for some reason makes it super easy to just punt games

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Boxman posted:

You probably thought this because that's how it was at least for SNC, which made for a great, fun way to buy cosmetics. Very sad to see them revert.

It was also that way (infinite play festivals) for Eldraine, Theros, Zendikar, Kaldheim and Midnight Hunt, the limited-play for cosmetic events only started with Crimson Vow

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe if you play for 4 wins a day it might take a while to climb the ladder, but I always play to the 15 daily wins and stop there... and today after a few weeks on ladder I just beat up rank #464 and broke into the numbered ranks myself:

Sneaky OP with the CC sleeves for elves. Do you disinclude Obosh from your deck to keep your Bo1 opponents from knowing what you're up to?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

Are there any formats you do like?

i love Standard and Explorer because i tend to just do well in them without encountering too much bullshit

don't get me wrong, i love Limited too. i just wish i was as good/lucky at Premium Draft as i am at Sealed and Quick Draft =\

edit:also, complaining works, because i went 5 wins at my next attempt at the event lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #22

My P1P1 choice was between Cruelty of Gix and Tolarian Geyser and I think that (unduly?) shaped the whole draft lol. I could have had three geysers in pack 1, but it felt like there was a comparable black card at each pick too.

I steered into the domain deck so I leaned into green cards even though I kept getting passed Cavaliers. I think this holds together even if it doesn't seem super impressive...? The blue splash for Micromancer and Espionage is probably better than two badgers?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/321b76711e4c442dbcc5b423446bf69b
Pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/MHdpkGGODA

Having a rough go the last few drafts and could use some input. I'm somewhat satisfied with the draft but wonder if I'm undervaluing tap lands or should have committed to two colours more. I'm struggling with brewing the deck, leaning towards GUb but I think a case can be made for UWb or 4c...

edit: Lands aren't right in screenshot, Imgur is being difficult so can't correct

Levin fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 16, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Levin posted:

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/321b76711e4c442dbcc5b423446bf69b
Pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/MHdpkGGODA

Having a rough go the last few drafts and could use some input. I'm somewhat satisfied with the draft but wonder if I'm undervaluing tap lands or should have committed to two colours more. I'm struggling with brewing the deck, leaning towards GUb but I think a case can be made for UWb or 4c...

edit: Lands aren't right in screenshot, Imgur is being difficult so can't correct

p1p7: this would have been a good spot to take a land. bite down is good but not great, it's awkward in u/g because you don't have many cheap high power creatures, and you want be able to cast a 5 drop and bite down in the same turn

based on what we're seeing late in pack 1 it's pretty clear we need to abandon u/g. we're not seeing lands at all late, and a domain deck needs lands to function.

p2p4: we're seeing white signals and we're seeing blue signals, perfect time to change lanes and go with destroy evil. feels awful passing tatyova but if we make room for her our deck will either be too inconsistent or two weak when we don't draw her
p2p5: could have been take up the shield instead of a land
p3p6: could have been drake

i would have ended up in a streamlined u/w deck (which you still might be able to pull off). If you go with your domain build you're going to have high highs but also lots of draws where you don't do anything. you really should be playing clockwork librarian in that deck. when you have bad mana a colorless card that scries will do a lot of work keeping you alive and helping you hit your colors

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have a good list for the sleeper agent event? some of the stained glass arts are real good

Hauki
May 11, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Anyone have a good list for the sleeper agent event? some of the stained glass arts are real good

Which stained glass are they anyway? It's incredible you still can't see what cards you're getting in-client.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hauki posted:

Which stained glass are they anyway? It's incredible you still can't see what cards you're getting in-client.

the thing in game opens up the browser that goes to the relevant article iirc

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/earn-stained-glass-card-styles-sleeper-agents-event

quote:

The following showcase card styles can be earned in this event. Each is equally likely, and you will always receive styles you don't own yet until you collect them all:

Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
Vohar, Vodalian Desecrator
Rona, Sheoldred’s Faithful
Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim
Raff, Weatherlight Stalwart
Balmor, Battlemage Captain
Squee, Dubious Monarch
Shanna, Purifying Blade
Zur, Eternal Schemer
Ertai Resurrected
Jodah, the Unifier
Radha, Coalition Warlord
Stenn, Paranoid Partisan
Aron, Benalia’s Ruin
Baird, Argivian Recruiter

i really want squee at least

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

little munchkin posted:

p1p7: this would have been a good spot to take a land. bite down is good but not great, it's awkward in u/g because you don't have many cheap high power creatures, and you want be able to cast a 5 drop and bite down in the same turn

based on what we're seeing late in pack 1 it's pretty clear we need to abandon u/g. we're not seeing lands at all late, and a domain deck needs lands to function.

p2p4: we're seeing white signals and we're seeing blue signals, perfect time to change lanes and go with destroy evil. feels awful passing tatyova but if we make room for her our deck will either be too inconsistent or two weak when we don't draw her
p2p5: could have been take up the shield instead of a land
p3p6: could have been drake

i would have ended up in a streamlined u/w deck (which you still might be able to pull off). If you go with your domain build you're going to have high highs but also lots of draws where you don't do anything. you really should be playing clockwork librarian in that deck. when you have bad mana a colorless card that scries will do a lot of work keeping you alive and helping you hit your colors

Thanks so much Little Munchkin, very helpful suggestions! What do you think of this build: https://sealeddeck.tech/2yGp7FTMnB?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Levin posted:

Thanks so much Little Munchkin, very helpful suggestions! What do you think of this build: https://sealeddeck.tech/2yGp7FTMnB?

I'd cut green entirely, you don't have any green lands and they let you cut pixies as well which are just so useless on their own. stall and figment are the easy adds and the other two slots can be scavenger, impede, or one of your two walls

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #22

My P1P1 choice was between Cruelty of Gix and Tolarian Geyser and I think that (unduly?) shaped the whole draft lol. I could have had three geysers in pack 1, but it felt like there was a comparable black card at each pick too.

I steered into the domain deck so I leaned into green cards even though I kept getting passed Cavaliers. I think this holds together even if it doesn't seem super impressive...? The blue splash for Micromancer and Espionage is probably better than two badgers?

Tolarian geyser is like the best common in the best colour in the set, I'd be snapping them up regardless of what my p1p1 was. I think I'd even pick it over cruelty of gix as well p1p1

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I don't have a good list, but your best bet is to build around green trample or blue unblockables for getting easy combat damage, or black Phyrexians to take advantage of "all Phyrexians" without having to hope your best creatures will get randomly picked.

Alternately just use a good singleton deck and try to win without worrying about the gimmick.

Edit: My first deck I used a bunch of red "deal damage to target opponent" creatures. Turns out that doesn't work because the poison counters are only for combat damage. Learn from my mistake.

Edit 2: Decided to keep trying till I got Squee and Sheoldred, got them as my last 2 which took ages, but now I have a full set of styles I'll probably never use. Double Strike is powerful - doing combat damage twice adds poison counters twice. I didn't realise until it got used against me. Lizard Blades did a lot of heavy lifting in my last few wins.

Urcher fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 16, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought going up to 4 Elspeths may have been too much...

No, it's a pretty good number
That's a very delightful deck indeed! Any reason why you're not running any Inspiring Overseers in it, though? Given how well they work with Elspeth, Paragon and Giada, I thought they'd be a shoo-in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp, definitely done on draft now, went 1//3 with the last one. Possibly could have salvaged tyhe last with more patience but the other two just didn't really manage to go anywhere despite a deck that looked very similar to the one I trophied with early on.

Disappointing, gonna be another 10 days or so before I get another run.

Ah well.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Urcher posted:

Edit 2: Decided to keep trying till I got Squee and Sheoldred, got them as my last 2 which took ages, but now I have a full set of styles I'll probably never use. Double Strike is powerful - doing combat damage twice adds poison counters twice. I didn't realise until it got used against me. Lizard Blades did a lot of heavy lifting in my last few wins.

Playing mono R or what? I'm a sucker for stained glass cosmetics but also don't want to spend 10,000 gold getting them all

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Playing mono R or what? I'm a sucker for stained glass cosmetics but also don't want to spend 10,000 gold getting them all

correction: spend at least 10k gold. you could spend up to 30k if you can't win 30 games in a row

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That's a very delightful deck indeed! Any reason why you're not running any Inspiring Overseers in it, though? Given how well they work with Elspeth, Paragon and Giada, I thought they'd be a shoo-in.

Inspiring Overseer was indeed in the original version, but I ended up cutting it and giving card slots to Paragon and Elspeth (which was previously a 2-of). It felt like there was too much overlap with Spirited Companion (cantrip body that blocks and absorbs edicts, plus Companion can be brought back by Restoration as well), and when I got to turn 4 or 5 I always wanted to play something a bit more impactful. I could see it in a more flier-heavy meta, I think

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hooplah posted:

correction: spend at least 10k gold. you could spend up to 30k if you can't win 30 games in a row

The payouts include gold, right? Win enough and you recoup some of the cost, yeah?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I scrubbed out of a few runs but I still got the full set with under 5k net loss (including getting my quests done)

would've gone better if I hadn't grabbed a deck off of arena zone without vetting it again. still don't know who the gently caress builds decks over there because they're always worse than what I can brew myself

my suggestion for the event is a lot of red haste 1 drops and cheap burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

The payouts include gold, right? Win enough and you recoup some of the cost, yeah?

oh, duh. if you're keeping up a better than ~55% wr, you'll make all your gold back