Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. With how unforgiving the rest of the game was I just figured extra food was required or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Travic posted:

Ok. With how unforgiving the rest of the game was I just figured extra food was required or else.

Until this series of posts I had assumed the same, and had yet to bother setting up any pens or barns.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well I guess if they aren't reproducing you're not exactly getting anything besides less ground to cover to complete a hunt. Milk, eggs, (new) meat all depend on feeding them.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Car survival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7kXWYVtBQ

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

The other thing is that breeding them is important to get them domesticated so they stop attacking you and poo poo and can be instakilled with the cleaver.
Doesn't that take, like, an absurd amount of time? You need something like 8 generations? I don't think I've ever played a game that lasted remotely long enough to get to that point; animals grow up really slowly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't that take, like, an absurd amount of time? You need something like 8 generations? I don't think I've ever played a game that lasted remotely long enough to get to that point; animals grow up really slowly.

3rd generation is fully domesticated, IIRC.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is it actually? I got the impression it was a linear story thing, just with some upgrading along the way.
E: Okay it's apparently a roguelite? Run-based drives with meta-progression where you can permanently upgrade your garage between runs.

Arrath posted:

3rd generation is fully domesticated, IIRC.
Nope. According to the wiki:

quote:

After 3 generations:
Animals can be killed nearly instantly with the cleaver.

After 10 generations:
Sleeping Animals will no longer wake when a player approaches .
Aggressive animals will become neutral, i.e. only attack when being provoked.
Animals will no longer run away from the player.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 14, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Travic posted:

Managed to get a rooster, a ram, and a ewe. Unfortunately I underestimated how much they eat. I had 4 stacks of flax seed and they're burning through it. I may have to let the sheep go.

Chasing the rooster was hilarious. Running after it until it disappeared in the bushes then holding very still until I heard a cluck and dashing off after it.

Your sheep can be fed grass. It takes a lot of grass to keep them fed enough to breed, but with a scythe it doesn't take long to gather.

I just got to this point too. I think the most aesthetically pleasing designs I've seen for sheep raising are outdoor pens but I've got my heart set on a barn. Anyone got a vintage story animal pen or barn they want to show off?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Nope. According to the wiki:

Oh wow okay. Good to know, thanks!

That is an outrageously long time for most worlds IME.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You'll probably never see Gen10 sheep outside of long term multiplayer villages, but Gen10 chickens aren't impossible, probably taking 2-3 in game years. I've only recently gotten in to raising pigs, but they don't get pissy unless you hit them. I wonder if the instacleaver counts as a hit, because then anything above Gen3 is superfluous.

This means though that I tend to design my sheep pens as long rectangles so I can sit on top of the 2 high fence and milk them from safety, as they can't hit me on a 2 high fence if they get mad.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
lol, just lol, lmao even, if you don't butcher your animals by shooting them full of arrows from the comfort of your front porch.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I use the flint spears I have way too many of due to panning proceeds.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, I've never gotten to gen 10 but gen 3 is relatively important for the instakill butchery. Gen 10 chickens are great because at that point iirc they don't run away from their nests every time you pass by the same zip code.

Also gen 2 and above Ewes are easier to milk, which is not nothing.

LLSix posted:

Your sheep can be fed grass. It takes a lot of grass to keep them fed enough to breed, but with a scythe it doesn't take long to gather.

I just got to this point too. I think the most aesthetically pleasing designs I've seen for sheep raising are outdoor pens but I've got my heart set on a barn. Anyone got a vintage story animal pen or barn they want to show off?

Do be careful with that one though because animals despawn in darkness.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 15, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SexyBlindfold posted:

lol, just lol, lmao even, if you don't butcher your animals by shooting them full of arrows from the comfort of your front porch.

I'm sure I'll engage with animal husbandry once someone adds heritable traits so you can breed uo an ubersheep. until then, all are equal in the murder hole

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 15, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My single vintage story request continues to be something to do with all these loving ferns

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

My single vintage story request continues to be something to do with all these loving ferns

I use them as fuel when cooking food in pots. They burn fast, but whatever, I got like multiple stacks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I toss the fuckers into my irrigation ditch and hope I don't accidentally pick them up again before they despawn.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I plant them around my house. They look nice :)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I plant ferns on and around my dirt hovel so I can't find it again without looking at the map. :dumb:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Okay so what do you do with the other 800?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

Probably something involving fire and drifter pits.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Spanish Matlock posted:

Wait for a Ticks And Meningitis update, perhaps.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

LLSix posted:

I would like to apologize in advance for the quality of these pictures. This was from an iron-age village build I did a while back that I accidentally deleted, and all I have left are these lovely phone pics I took for reference while building.

A barn I was building for general storage.

Pens for sheep which, a long with a sizeable pasture, would be fenced in. The finished pens had the same packed dirt flooring as the barn, but in retrospect I ought to have looked into hay bale flooring instead.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This seems to recently have become the Vintage Story thread. I don't have it. I play 7dtd sometimes and DST, together with friends. We've recently tried Zomboid. How does vintage story compare? How complete is it? How fun is it, etc?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

redreader posted:

This seems to recently have become the Vintage Story thread. I don't have it. I play 7dtd sometimes and DST, together with friends. We've recently tried Zomboid. How does vintage story compare? How complete is it? How fun is it, etc?

While they're all survival games, I wouldn't necessarily put VS in the same category as 7dtd, DST or PZ (namely because it has, overall, a much lesser focus on combat). The most apt description of VS I've seen is "Minecraft but you play as that guy from the Primitive Technology channel".
I'd say it classifies as a Minecraft clone but there's enough care and effort put into it that it feels like its own thing. As of right now, there's no hard endgoal to the game, though climbing through the tech levels (all the way to steelmaking) will take you quite a while. There's enough lore and mechanics to discover that'll keep you busy for quite a while as well, and it's easier to mod. Combat, like a lot of voxel games, is generally considered the low point, and a few systems might be overly tedious (prospecting for ores in particular). Still, I don't think there's a lot of games that scratch quite the same itch if what you're looking for is a chill survival game mostly centered about tending to a nice little (or not so little) base.

That being said, could it be time for Vintage Story to get its own thread? A nice OP with screenshots of fancy builds could help attract new players, and some pinned guides could save a lot of mental anguish for beginners.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
"Vintage Story: An entire game focused on the tedious start of many minecraft modpacks where you rub sticks together for hours before getting to the good bits"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"But hey you can chisel some really intricate poo poo together (if you have patience and/or drugs)."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vintage Story is the most fun I've had banging rocks together dreaming about iron since UnReal World.

Its Minecraft with Ideas about crafting and geology. You can probably figure out if you're into it if you like Minecraft by reading a day 1 guide. I imagine most people will be instantly turned on or off but they have a lenient return policy if for some reason you are on the fence about banging rocks together in a voxel builder.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what good bits lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

I'm going to have to play this if only because I road trip through this part of Washington all the time. Looks awesome, in reality though there's huge trees immediately off the side of the roads so you would not be able do any off road driving at all. You can see the Puget Sound on the map they show, hopefully the eastern route is right along the coast like it is in real life.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Oh, this looks right up my alley. I love The Long Drive even though there's kind of very little to do in it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think VS could use its own thread.

Vintage Story: Minecraft for Tryhards

If I’m sufficiently bored I can make a thread for it but also I’d probably be a bad steward for keeping the OP updated unless somebody PMd me changes to make.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've never played it but if this thread is anything to go by it should be

Vintage Story: You're Prospecting Wrong

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As someone who loves Valhiem but doesn't like mine craft, this thread definitely got me to buy it, and it's in my back log of "huge and engaging sp games to play at some point".

I'd appreciate a thread for sure, because while I want to at least try to learn the mechanics myself through experimentation I'd also like an easy overview of for example often overlooked inputs/ commands, things that are notoriously obtuse and people frequently get wrong unless someone tells them, etx.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CuddleCryptid posted:

Isn’t that the truth :negative:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Bhodi posted:

"Vintage Story: An entire game focused on the tedious start of many minecraft modpacks where you rub sticks together for hours before getting to the good bits"

:colbert: Yes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I’ve somehow forgotten entirely about 7DTD. Didn’t it get some Rust-level revamp a few years ago?

Think I got my next survival game then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
7DTD, for all its warts, has been getting good content updates. Definitely worth a visit again if your last time was a few years ago.

It’s visually and technically a mess as it ever was but the game is like crack for me.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Vintage Story: Wolves Eating People’s Faces Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vasudus posted:

I’ve somehow forgotten entirely about 7DTD. Didn’t it get some Rust-level revamp a few years ago?

Think I got my next survival game then.

7 Days is in an amazing state currently and it's getting dramatically better, they spent a bunch of money on hiring pro game artists and level designers and they invented some seriously amazing procedural generation techniques for randomizing a huge and growing library of hand-designed dungeons, crazy amount of value and replayability.