Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Monopoly Deal, which costs <$10 and plays in ~15 minutes

Agreed, it's a pretty fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

armorer posted:

At some point in the past (when it was either out of stock or $100) I set up a price alert for War of the Ring on camelcamelcamel so I could get it at a decent price. That alert has gone off several times since then, and I go stare at it and then don't actually buy it because I don't have a person that I think will sit down and learn it and play it with me. There's really no other point to this post, just general sad face. I have a decent gaming crew at this point too, I just can't think of one person in that crew who would sign up for this particular gaming experience.
This is me, except I look at my 6 yo throwing a fit about the color of a sock and think... Not Yet.
I do get to lose at Sushi Go and Uno a lot though.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Any good resources for learning to play and teach John Company? I will probably be the one teaching everyone else in my group and it's a big game to get one's head around.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Afriscipio posted:

Any good resources for learning to play and teach John Company? I will probably be the one teaching everyone else in my group and it's a big game to get one's head around.

https://youtu.be/0mFNEdfCSZo

The designer gives the full teach here. However, there are a number of rules you may or may not be playing with depending on game setup or game events (deregulation, certain laws). Cole always recommends and I’ve personally had success with a “rolling teach”, where you explain the game step-by-step by walking everyone through turn one, and begin on turn 2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pueblo reprint campaign is up https://gamefound.com/projects/mojito-studios/pueblo.
Early birds get a signed postcard. And maybe the game. In a year.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SelenicMartian posted:

Early birds get a signed postcard. And maybe the game.

kickstarter.txt

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

hoiyes posted:

This is me, except I look at my 6 yo throwing a fit about the color of a sock and think... Not Yet.
I do get to lose at Sushi Go and Uno a lot though.

I've considered buying games in the hope I'll get to play them with my kids someday, but I tell myself that something better will probably be sold by the time they're actually old enough.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

SelenicMartian posted:

Pueblo reprint campaign is up https://gamefound.com/projects/mojito-studios/pueblo.
Early birds get a signed postcard. And maybe the game. In a year.

Is there a reason they wouldn't be getting the game? Serious question, I have no idea about the publisher and their track record.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a pre-order. I'll probably be late.

I'm not sure ordering the lazy susan add-on for $15 is a good idea at this point, unless they go up in value soon.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Looking for recommendations, did read OPs but was hoping to find, ideally: one or two games suitable for 3 players and also 6+ players, or two games one for 3 players and one for 6+.

For the large group simple will be better so I'm thinking Codenames. The 6+ game ideally is suitable for kids and adults. And I was thinking Wingspan for the smaller group but as it wasn't in the OP I'm not so sure.

The smaller group is bright and interested people but Heavy weight would likely be pushing it? All are D&D and MTG players so doesn't have to be too light either. Larger group is family and your assumptions about that should be accurate but we've all played party games like One Night Werewolf and Scattergories smoothly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Wavelength and Too Many Bones if you have it

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Looking for recommendations, did read OPs but was hoping to find, ideally: one or two games suitable for 3 players and also 6+ players, or two games one for 3 players and one for 6+.

For the large group simple will be better so I'm thinking Codenames. The 6+ game ideally is suitable for kids and adults. And I was thinking Wingspan for the smaller group but as it wasn't in the OP I'm not so sure.

The smaller group is bright and interested people but Heavy weight would likely be pushing it? All are D&D and MTG players so doesn't have to be too light either. Larger group is family and your assumptions about that should be accurate but we've all played party games like One Night Werewolf and Scattergories smoothly.

Wingspan is a fine gateway or casual game, but as someone (maybe here) put it, you won't be surprised by anything that happens after your fifth game of it. Definitely not worth its BGG ranking at #24 overall.

Codenames has different variants like Disney or Pictures or Marvel Superheroes (I think I saw this one), so you could potentially play with smaller kids than usual if you got one of the graphic sets. It's a fine party game.

Three players, not too heavy: just played it for the 1st time last week, one video taught me the whole game, BGG weight 3.01/5.00, thought it was a great game (though maybe not worth #15 overall on BGG): Dune Imperium.

I'd also recommend Concordia (#21 BGG) as a fantastic, probably my favorite, medium-weight game, but for three you'll need to buy Concordia Venus (the full game, not the Venus add-on that expands base Concordia) and use the Hellas map.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Captain sonar plays well at 6 and 8 players if you have a group that it clicks with. It recently became quite popular with my gaming crew so we've played it a lot lately, and I'm thrilled because I love that game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks for reading the OPs.

3 players AND 6+ players is a tough ask. 3-5 tends to be the sweet spot. You could look into "Roll and Write" games, as they tend to allow for an essentially unlimited number of players. The well liked versions of this tend to be Railroad Ink, Welcome To, and Cartographers. I also like On Tour but it is a bit pricier and less popular, though you can print maps instead of using the dry-erase boards. In these games, since generally everyone is driven by one roll, all players play simultaneously so they tend to handle large player counts well. The dry-erase games like RI and OT handle fewer but more can be added with multiple copies.

Also, the Haba game Karuba is similar but with no writing. Instead on player shuffles their tiles and draw them, and everyone else pulls their out in a almost 'bingo' like play.

Note that among these games I've only played On Tour and Railroad Ink (on BGA), but they all are fairly popular.

Also, the lack of Wingspan in the OP is mostly because it's a bit overexposed and goons don't like it as much as the general population. However, it is extremely popular. Since you are a person, you and yours might enjoy it as much as the crowd does. I have still yet to play it personally, but I mean...

:parrot: :stoked: BIRBS :stoked: :parrot:

(also Wingspan only goes to 5)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, Wingspan is, in my opinion, at least, overrated. That doesn't mean it's bad at all, just not as good as the hype would have you believe. As far as an action-selection tableau-building game goes, it's fairly pleasant to play and the cards look pretty. (And if you haven't played dozens of other action-selection tableau-building games, then it'll be an interesting blend of mechanics that will hold your attention.)

Personally, it always feels like it takes longer than it should given that it's not that complex of a game, but maybe I've always played with at least one new person that slows it down a little. (It's not a slog or anything, it's just that it always feels like the playtime is longer than there is actual game here.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh man Etherfields is arriving this Friday :D

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh man Etherfields is arriving this Friday :D

same lets gooooooooo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No clue when the kittenburg expansion will arrive though. They said it was going to be a different shipment but idk if that was for people who got 1st wave etherfields or if that applies to all waves.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I entered an extreme rabbithole last night. Dizzying amount of games, so many seem good, watched sooo many videos. Still not settled unfortunately... some thoughts:

Weight should probably be below 3. I looked into Concordia Venus and Dune: Imperium and frankly I'm not going to convince anyone to sit down and watch a sufficiently long rules video. It's more something for pick up and play than for a dedicated group which I think weights above 3 are more suited towards. To this end for the smaller group I've "narrowed" it to: 7 Wonders (current winner I think), Dominion: Intrigue, Carcassone, Small World, Azul, Lords of Waterdeep or Raiders of the North Sea, or Modern Art. This group has Forbidden Island.

For the party game I'm still leaning Codenames but unsure how much people will enjoy a guessing game. So then leaning towards funny games like Stipulation or Snake Oil? But since we have Scattergories for jokes and maybe people want something more intriguing then Captain Sonar might foot the bill. No need for any deception games since One Night Werewolf is already available. Or maybe something like Crokinole or Klask ends up being more engaging over a few days? Wavelength seems really cool too but whyyy is it so expensive?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I entered an extreme rabbithole last night. Dizzying amount of games, so many seem good, watched sooo many videos. Still not settled unfortunately... some thoughts:

Weight should probably be below 3. I looked into Concordia Venus and Dune: Imperium and frankly I'm not going to convince anyone to sit down and watch a sufficiently long rules video. It's more something for pick up and play than for a dedicated group which I think weights above 3 are more suited towards. To this end for the smaller group I've "narrowed" it to: 7 Wonders (current winner I think), Dominion: Intrigue, Carcassone, Small World, Azul, Lords of Waterdeep or Raiders of the North Sea, or Modern Art. This group has Forbidden Island.

For the party game I'm still leaning Codenames but unsure how much people will enjoy a guessing game. So then leaning towards funny games like Stipulation or Snake Oil? But since we have Scattergories for jokes and maybe people want something more intriguing then Captain Sonar might foot the bill. No need for any deception games since One Night Werewolf is already available. Or maybe something like Crokinole or Klask ends up being more engaging over a few days? Wavelength seems really cool too but whyyy is it so expensive?

Wavelength and Captain Sonar have been popular at my game nights with larger player counts. Magic Maze is often a fun way to fill time while we wait for stragglers to show up.

On the lower count end, I think Azul is amazing and everyone with a decent game collection should own a copy. Honestly everything you've listed is solid (except that I am not a fan of Small World personally, but people seem to love it).

The roll and write suggestion above is a good one too. Cartographers and Railroad Ink play well at basically any player count, and are quick and easy. A bonus there is that they also pack well and make good car camping games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Dominion: Intrigue

This leapt out at me - Intrigue is an expansion, and I believe the current printing does not contain all of the base cards you need to play.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mr. Squishy posted:

This leapt out at me - Intrigue is an expansion, and I believe the current printing does not contain all of the base cards you need to play.

Oh yeah that's a good point. If you buy into Dominion, I suggest either the base Dominion 2nd edition or this big box - https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Big-Box-Board-Game/dp/B01MA5AJY9 which comes with Intrigue and cards for higher player counts.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hmm, from BGG:

"Dominion: Intrigue adds rules for playing with up to 8 players at two tables or for playing a single game with up to 6 players when combined with Dominion. This game adds 25 new Kingdom cards and a complete set of Treasure and Victory cards. The game can be played alone by players experienced in Dominion or with the basic game of Dominion."

Whatever YouTube I found for it said Intrigue is nice to start from. I trust the thread better though. I might not be able to swing big box so Dominion base if that's gonna safer then?

Also just saw Love Letter which at that price point I'm snatching up unless told otherwise.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe it used to come bundled with the base cards, but hasn't done so for several years.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hmm, from BGG:

"Dominion: Intrigue adds rules for playing with up to 8 players at two tables or for playing a single game with up to 6 players when combined with Dominion. This game adds 25 new Kingdom cards and a complete set of Treasure and Victory cards. The game can be played alone by players experienced in Dominion or with the basic game of Dominion."

Whatever YouTube I found for it said Intrigue is nice to start from. I trust the thread better though. I might not be able to swing big box so Dominion base if that's gonna safer then?

Also just saw Love Letter which at that price point I'm snatching up unless told otherwise.

Love Letter is fine as a quick filler but imho it's not that great.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wavelength seems really cool too but whyyy is it so expensive?
There is a Wavelength app you could try. It's free and supported by 'packs' for DLC of different prompts, and works on people's phones similar to the Jackbox games (except everyone needs the app). Unlike the normal 2-team version, it's fully coop. It will at least let you see if your group would like this.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Love Letter is worth having. It has worn out its welcome in a lot of circles, but if your friends like logic/guessing puzzles and an impressively small number of cards, it'll get played at least for a while. It's small and cheap enough that it is unlikely to be a serious regret.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

To this end for the smaller group I've "narrowed" it to: 7 Wonders (current winner I think), Dominion: Intrigue, Carcassone, Small World, Azul, Lords of Waterdeep or Raiders of the North Sea, or Modern Art. This group has Forbidden Island.
Of those, I think 7 wonders if probably the winner too... Dominion is a better game but it's harder to suggest since it really shines with a few expansions.

If your group is more tactile or visual, Azul might better than 7 Wonders. I have only played one of the Azul games (the stained glass one) but the original Azul is also a drafting game that is also incredibly popular. It's also a smidge easier but only plays 4.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No need for any deception games since One Night Werewolf is already available.
Perhaps, but I implore you to consider Insider. It's social deduction 20 questions. It's terrific, and 6 is a good player count.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Love Letter also has a solid digital version that does online play as well, best paired with something else like Discord for chatter.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
7 wonders is excellent at supporting weird player counts

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Carcassone is one of my all-time favorite games, it works great especially if people are tired or not in the mood for gaming, because it’s so chill it turns into something you just do idly in between the conversation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Both times I played wingspan the game lasted a good 20 minutes longer than the interesting decisions did.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
At the end of wingspan, you go egg mode. It doesn’t really matter what your board looks like or what’s in your hand. Chances are really good your most profitable move is going egg mode

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bohnanza, actually.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My group much prefers Decrypto to codenames at this point, FWIW. Fills a very similar space. I personally prefer it because I find being the code master for an entire round to be very stressful, and decrypto moves the reins around a lot more. It's also a slightly more interesting challenge with the added complication of trying to throw off the other team. More involved with the setup and admin too but that's not always a big deal.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

El Fideo posted:

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bohnanza, actually.

I always felt like that game took longer to play than it really needed to, but it's otherwise good.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Something Else posted:

At the end of wingspan, you go egg mode. It doesn’t really matter what your board looks like or what’s in your hand. Chances are really good your most profitable move is going egg mode

No idea how playtesting (or the major expansion) didn’t fix this. It’s so boring.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Podima posted:

I always felt like that game took longer to play than it really needed to, but it's otherwise good.

My gaming group has a tendency to turn it into a role playing game. Trading beans taking longer than expected? Try doing it in character. It definitely won't make it any shorter, but it helps with engagement!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Well the decision was whittled down by the LGS' stock in the end. Went in with the intention of grabbing Modern Art and 7 Wonders but they don't stock Modern Art at all! Went down a long list I had of backup stuff and the majority, sadly, were out of stock. I was really bummed especially about The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine after they said they had two and... no one could find them.

Grabbed 7 Wonders and talked my sister into grabbing Azul. Excited to try all of them out (including Forbidden Island which she's played but I haven't)! Thanks for all the help :)

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Jewmanji posted:

No idea how playtesting (or the major expansion) didn’t fix this. It’s so boring.

2nd expansion, Oceania, curbs it fairly hard - the new player boards rebalance the values. Which means for me, the new boards are a must, but they are NOT easy to teach to beginners - the colors are muddier and harder to read, and there's significantly more icons.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Weight should probably be below 3. I looked into Concordia Venus and Dune: Imperium and frankly I'm not going to convince anyone to sit down and watch a sufficiently long rules video.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I meant. I meant that I learned how to play from a video that I could (with a review of the rules to catch any gaps) teach Dune:Imperium. Concordia's even easier to teach because 90% of the rules are on the cards you play in the game. (The game rules are literally the front & back of a page.)

However, I must have had a total brain fart because I'm a big 7 Wonders stan and don't know how I missed recommending it as a solution for both your problems! Azul is a lot of fun too. You should be happy with your choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

JoeRules posted:

2nd expansion, Oceania, curbs it fairly hard - the new player boards rebalance the values. Which means for me, the new boards are a must, but they are NOT easy to teach to beginners - the colors are muddier and harder to read, and there's significantly more icons.

I don’t find Oceania addresses the final round egg-race at all. I know that like, food is easier to get in the early game but I don’t see how they addressed the final round stuff at all.

It also amazes me how dumb the end round goals can be because of randomization. There’s way too many times that the first or last goal are at the complete wrong point in the game. I regret that I bought the base game and Oceania to appease my spouse but it’s just not an interesting puzzle.