Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's what it's doing, yes. But it's taking the decision of having to pour over thousands of flags to set by the user and choose the best practices to limit fingerprinting, tracking, and metrics gathering automatically.
Sure, so the person doing the list could publish a json-formatted thing for it, instead of giving people scripts to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, so the person doing the list could publish a json-formatted thing for it, instead of giving people scripts to run.

There's a gui that lets you explore what all it does if that's your jam.

https://github.com/arkenfox/gui
https://arkenfox.github.io/gui/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doctorfrog posted:

Thirding Cookie Autodelete, and recommending use of Firefox containers on top of it.

Same, and I even recommend trying out first-party isolation -- in about :config, set privacy.firstparty.isolate to True -- which effectively puts every site you visit in its own "container". (Just be aware that just by doing what it does, it'll break things like single-sign-on or signing in using your Google account. So if you use those, this option probably isn't for you.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Same, and I even recommend trying out first-party isolation -- in about :config, set privacy.firstparty.isolate to True -- which effectively puts every site you visit in its own "container". (Just be aware that just by doing what it does, it'll break things like single-sign-on or signing in using your Google account. So if you use those, this option probably isn't for you.)

privacy.firstparty.isolate will break A LOT of logins. More than just SSO with google/amazon/apple/microsoft. But a lot that a referral link to a login domain when then brings you back to the original one after logged in.

I'd recommend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/ over that as it lets you define domains to keep in the same container (really useful for google services where you have a half dozen you might use like maps.google.com, gmail.google.com, docs.google.com which you probably couldn't log into with domain isolation.

You can also use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/temporary-containers/ for your general browsing which will still do above domain isolation listed above for stuff you don't need to log into. You can even set the temp containers delete history (and they already nuke any cookies in them regardless) when they are closed so you leave a nice tidy history for yourself of only visiting the safe and respectable sites.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's a gui that lets you explore what all it does if that's your jam.

https://github.com/arkenfox/gui
https://arkenfox.github.io/gui/
That wasn't really the point.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well they finally did it, they made the worst change in the history of all changes that have ever happened to Firefox over the years. Now with 105.0, when I open Firefox, it steals focus from my home page and the URL bar is the one focused instead.

I have to reach out for the mouse now (UGH), click on the page (2xUGH) before I can start typing into it.

Is there an about:config setting to revert this madness? if not, any tips with Seppuku?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Firefox on Android plopped two sponsored links into the homepage section today. Annoying, but at least I could turn them off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Firefox on Android plopped two sponsored links into the homepage section today. Annoying, but at least I could turn them off.

I don't use Firefox on android because it doesn't have cross-site isolation (yet), so I'd recommend a chromium browser for there. Bromite is well liked and includes an adblocker by default. Brave also performs well, but has the crypto garbage (which can be opted out of) and a lovely CEO.

If you do want to use a firefox-type browser on android though Mull is the go-to which strips out all the extra mozilla crap and implements as many of the anti-fingerprinting and tracking settings as can be done for the mobile version. If you want to stick with google play store and still stick with firefox on mobile, try Firefox Focus.

https://github.com/Divested-Mobile/mull-fenix
You can get Mull on f-droid.

Here's a comparison.
https://privacytests.org/android.html

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 21, 2022

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Thanks for the Mull recommendation. It even supports Firefox Sync and sending tabs across devices, which I didn't expect for a custom browser build.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Re: Mull
Who picked the colors of that logo, god daaaamn

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

So in general I'm liking Mull, but setting general.useragent.override in about :config to something fictional doesn't seem to work at all. Which means, with fennec abandoned, there's no more browser on android that both has uBlock origin and can reliably force all sites to load their desktop version at all times, I think.

Is Mull ignoring that setting the consequence of some privacy thing I can relax?

It wouldn't be so bad if the request desktop site slider in any of those Firefox derivatives kept working after reloading the page, but no.

Edit: Never mind. There's a trick mentioned here that, with severe limitations, allows a wider selection of addons and by luck a working user agent switcher happens to be one of them.

You can get tampermonkey and stylus this way too, if you're into that.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 21, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

So in general I'm liking Mull, but setting general.useragent.override in about :config to something fictional doesn't seem to work at all. Which means, with fennec abandoned, there's no more browser on android that both has uBlock origin and can reliably force all sites to load their desktop version at all times, I think.

Is Mull ignoring that setting the consequence of some privacy thing I can relax?

It wouldn't be so bad if the request desktop site slider in any of those Firefox derivatives kept working after reloading the page, but no.

Well one thing to start with is arkenfox (and firefox browsers that bake it in like Mull or Librewolf) also spoof your screen size. So just changing the user agent might still have the websites seeing your weird rear end aspect ratio and resolution and delivering a mobile experience anyway. The "request desktop site" toggle probably changes the reported canvas size too for websites.

At least on an arkenfox hardened desktop firefox it should be resetting any about :config flags to the defaults as defined by the script every time the browser is opened unless you have an override file in your profile folder in which case it'll favor those defaults.

You'd probably need root access to get to where android stores the firefox user profile page to add an override file for the flags you want to set (and I can't guarantee it'd survive an app update either).

I would think that about :config flag settings **should** generally hold you for the session you're currently on though.

Barring that, you said, there's always the built in toggle to go between mobile/desktop modes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well one thing to start with is arkenfox (and firefox browsers that bake it in like Mull or Librewolf) also spoof your screen size. So just changing the user agent might still have the websites seeing your weird rear end aspect ratio and resolution and delivering a mobile experience anyway. The "request desktop site" toggle probably changes the reported canvas size too for websites.
No, I set it to something Windows and asking what's may user agent on duck duck go reports being on Android. It's just ignored entirely. But see my edit in the previous post, sorry about the timing!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Barring that, you said, there's always the built in toggle to go between mobile/desktop modes.
Yeah that poo poo don't work. It gives the desktop site once. When you reload, you get the mobile page again, but the toggle is stuck to desktop and can't be changed anymore. That requires closing the tab to reset. It's been like this since the very beginning of Firefox mobile.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah that poo poo don't work. It gives the desktop site once. When you reload, you get the mobile page again, but the toggle is stuck to desktop and can't be changed anymore. That requires closing the tab to reset. It's been like this since the very beginning of Firefox mobile.

That doesn't happen to me currently on Firefox Android version 105.1.0. I can reload however many times and I still get the desktop site. If I quit (not just minimize) Firefox and re-open it, it will load the mobile site version, but in that case the "Desktop site" toggle has just be reset to off, and switching it back on once again loads the desktop site. For add-ons I'm currently running uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. For settings I have tracking protection set to Strict and HTTPS-Only Mode on, and other than that I believe things are default.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Splinter posted:

That doesn't happen to me currently on Firefox Android version 105.1.0. I can reload however many times and I still get the desktop site. If I quit (not just minimize) Firefox and re-open it, it will load the mobile site version, but in that case the "Desktop site" toggle has just be reset to off, and switching it back on once again loads the desktop site. For add-ons I'm currently running uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. For settings I have tracking protection set to Strict and HTTPS-Only Mode on, and other than that I believe things are default.
I've got to be honest here in that it might work perfectly on any number of sites and I wouldn't know about it. It's tvguide co.uk where it matters to me and where I've never had it work the way it should. I'm also in a broader sense annoyed that there just isn't a browser wide setting to request desktop sites by default. Even if the per site toggle stuck between quitting and reopening the app, which it doesn't is what you're saying, that wouldn't do for me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I can confirm that it works as you describe (aka doesn't work) on tvguide.co.uk on my end as well. I haven't seen that behavior on other sites though, so I'm guessing there's some issue with how that particular site implemented their desktop/mobile handling. That consolation of course doesn't help you at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Splinter posted:

I can confirm that it works as you describe (aka doesn't work) on tvguide.co.uk on my end as well. I haven't seen that behavior on other sites though, so I'm guessing there's some issue with how that particular site implemented their desktop/mobile handling. That consolation of course doesn't help you at all.
It's kind of you to look into it anyway, I much appreciate that. And with the user agent switcher addon working, I'm no worse off than I was the past few years with Fennec, so I'm extremely ok with that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Looks like Mozilla got a new add-on developer advocate this month so maybe we'll finally see some progress on add-ons for mobile Firefox after two years of absolutely nothing happening.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Well they finally did it, they made the worst change in the history of all changes that have ever happened to Firefox over the years. Now with 105.0, when I open Firefox, it steals focus from my home page and the URL bar is the one focused instead.

I have to reach out for the mouse now (UGH), click on the page (2xUGH) before I can start typing into it.

Is there an about :config setting to revert this madness? if not, any tips with Seppuku?

The impossible happened and Mozilla listened to users!

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1784692#c18

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

isndl posted:

Looks like Mozilla got a new add-on developer advocate this month so maybe we'll finally see some progress on add-ons for mobile Firefox after two years of absolutely nothing happening.

About drat time.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Geemer posted:

The impossible happened and Mozilla listened to users!

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1784692#c18

Yeah, but where the hell is 105.0.2? It's been nearly half a day already.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, but where the hell is 105.0.2? It's been nearly half a day already.

Something exciting on the way?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Nothing that I'm aware of.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

Something exciting on the way?

Just the rollback of the "the URL bar is focused in a new window with a homepage" change.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Just the rollback of the "the URL bar is focused in a new window with a homepage" change.

That was in the freshly released .1 version.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Geemer posted:

That was in the freshly released .1 version.

Oh, right.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I just noticed that Chrome has tab scope (previews on hover) and has apparently had it for a long while. Firefox used to have tab scope but it died with XUL, same with native tab groups. Five years later Chrome has both rudimentary native tab groups and native tab scope, while tab scope is still impossible in Firefox. Firefox at least has TST but Vivaldi has something almost functionally good enough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Desuwa posted:

I just noticed that Chrome has tab scope (previews on hover) and has apparently had it for a long while. Firefox used to have tab scope but it died with XUL, same with native tab groups. Five years later Chrome has both rudimentary native tab groups and native tab scope, while tab scope is still impossible in Firefox. Firefox at least has TST but Vivaldi has something almost functionally good enough.

I don't what TST is there's an option in Firefox to show tab previews when hovering over the taskbar icon, don't know if that's any use to you.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't what TST is there's an option in Firefox to show tab previews when hovering over the taskbar icon, don't know if that's any use to you.

TST is tree style tabs, and no the taskbar thing is not adequate as a replacement. The taskbar preview thing has been there for a long time, I wasn't really asking for help as much as making a sad observation. I'd predicted that tab scope would never be properly supported after XUL but I hadn't predicted that Chrome would pick it up as a feature.

TST is relevant as it's one thing currently still impossible on Chrome, but even then Vivaldi has a much more limited version natively.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Miggity
Apr 25, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are there any ways to get themes that both don't look like a kid's geocities site from 1999 and aren't just a boring solid color?

I like Firefox Nord Dark from DeviantArt Here

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm trying to switch from Chrome to Firefox and I've got an old Chrome addon I installed from Github that automatically does bing searches to get MS rewards points, https://github.com/gaby/ABS

According to the Github this thing supports Firefox too, but I'm a big dummy and can't figure out how to install it since it isn't on the Firefox add-on store. Is it possible to do this?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cool Dad posted:

I'm trying to switch from Chrome to Firefox and I've got an old Chrome addon I installed from Github that automatically does bing searches to get MS rewards points, https://github.com/gaby/ABS

According to the Github this thing supports Firefox too, but I'm a big dummy and can't figure out how to install it since it isn't on the Firefox add-on store. Is it possible to do this?

The extension was banned by Mozilla for some reason. I don't know why. If it really matters to you, this fork details a process on how to make your own version of the addon:
https://github.com/h4x0rm1k3/ABS

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently Firefox on Android still doesn't properly support webauthn etc., so trying to use a Yubikey or whatever forces the use of Chrome. Here in Denmark, everywhere you need to authenticate in an official fashion is using a 2FA solution called MitID.

So my choices for eg. online banking are:

• Use the app, which means username, then a static 6-digit pin on my phone. I think this option is dumb and insecure.
  • Use the authentication fob (based on the Google Titan key), which means username, password and fob. I prefer this option, it works great on a PC, on Android it only works in Chrome.
  • Use a one-time key generator fob, so username, password and key generated from the fob. It's workable, but the proper auth fob is better.
  • Never log in to to any of the services needing this login security on my phone. I'm leaning towards this option.

It's so goddamn dumb is what it is. The standards for this stuff are pretty well designed, but it just isn't implemented properly in Android Firefox yet.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 6, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently Firefox on Android still doesn't properly support webauthn etc., so trying to use a Yubikey or whatever forces the use of Chrome. Here in Denmark, everywhere you need to authenticate in an official fashion is using a 2FA solution called MitID.

So my choices for eg. online banking are:

• Use the app, which means username, then a static 6-digit pin on my phone. I think this option is dumb and insecure.
  • Use the authentication fob (based on the Google Titan key), which means username, password and fob. I prefer this option, it works great on a PC, on Android it only works in Chrome.
  • Use a one-time key generator fob, so username, password and key generated from the fob. It's workable, but the proper auth fob is better.
  • Never log in to to any of the services needing this login security on my phone. I'm leaning towards this option.

It's so goddamn dumb is what it is. The standards for this stuff are pretty well designed, but it just isn't implemented properly in Android Firefox yet.

I suspect this is closely related to Norwegian BankID - and I'm very happy I never moved on from the key generator; my last one survived a full decade on my keychain (before it took a 60C clothes wash ... and it still worked afterwards, but I ordered a new one just in case). Most apps cache your login for weeks, and I can live with entering a PIN and my password now and then as a tradeoff for using something that's entirely hardware and software - independent.

But of course, it'd be nice if it worked.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any way to figure out why Firefox can not seem to stream media without freezing eventually? Doesn't seem to matter what codec, site, quality, or even version of Firefox I use, but pretty much every video player will stall out sooner or later, as if the buffer is empty and wont receive any more. The only suggestions I can find are disabling hardware acceleration, clearing caches, and new video card drivers, which all did absolutely nothing. I fuckin hate Chrome, but at least it makes it through a full youtube video without having to restart it.

E: I don't notice any abnormal CPU/GPU/Memory usage when this happens. Reloading the page, seeking, pause/play, trying a different video, etc, doesn't change anything. If any certain site's player stalled, they all stall and will not work again until I completely close and restart the browser. Any player stats pages just show it isn't receiving data any more. Extensions don't seem to matter as it does the same thing with a bunch loaded or none at all. I had a similar problem with Chrome many years ago, but turning off hardware acceleration fixed that, and now it's flawless even with it on.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 15, 2022

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Try going to about:profiles and creating a new, blank profile and see if it still is a problem. And maybe check if you have an antivirus causing issues.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Nalin posted:

Try going to about :profiles and creating a new, blank profile and see if it still is a problem. And maybe check if you have an antivirus causing issues.
Well I guess making a new profile seems to have fixed it. Still curious what exactly was happening, but whatever, it works now. Thanks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a recommended Firefox plugin that can change all twitter links and embeds to nitter?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a recommended Firefox plugin that can change all twitter links and embeds to nitter?

That sounds more like a job for one of the userscript managers than a dedicated plugin - something like violentmonkey plus a search for "userscript redirect twitter to nitter" seems like it should work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. At the moment looking at Nitter Redirect.