Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are several hundred houses within four blocks of that one, I'm not particularly worried about it.

I got knuckles built for knockin and nothing but time, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Attention investors and contractors! Are you looking to add a fixer-upper property to your portfolio? Take advantage of this great investment opportunity in Beechview.

lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

indigi posted:

I got knuckles built for knockin and nothing but time, baby.

spare your knuckles and look for homes that sold in 2015 in that area for less money than the grandma house

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Probably just an old person who didn't change or replace anything in the house from 1972 on and died in there.

it cracks me up whenever these come up because the realtor always tries to spin it as a "renovation opportunity"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dr. VooDoo posted:

We’re they dragging bodies back and forth across the carpet to the kitchen what the gently caress

this person had too many pets and not enough litter boxes and a physical inability to change them

the carpet is bleaching from the ammonia in the concentrated urine that is in the carpet, cats will basically piss anywhere they have a modicum of privacy if there's no suitable place to bury their waste, that usually means under end tables, coffee tables and tall couches, which is why all the spots are against the walls and everywhere in the loving room

I guarantee you if you pulled that carpet up there would be piss sand underneath, crystallized urine bound to dirt in piles big enough to fill a dustpan

my FIL's carpets looked like this when he died and his cats were only doing it for about five years

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Sep 15, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mirthless posted:

I literally just dealt with this exact problem and I know exactly what it is, 1000%

this person had too many pets and not enough litter boxes and a physical inability to change them

the carpet is bleaching from the ammonia in the concentrated urine that is in the carpet

You should take better care of your cats

I kid, I assume your problem was with an aging family member and not your own household, but low hanging fruit

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You should take better care of your cats

I kid, I assume your problem was with an aging family member and not your own household, but low hanging fruit

hahaha yeah, FIL's house - edited in more info! I tried to help him solve the problem for years but he absolutely could not be convinced on the proper litter box equation, he only wanted to scoop one litter box and he only wanted to scoop it once a day, even when he had six cats

after I ripped all the carpets out, mopped the concrete and replaced all the flooring, I tripled the number of litter boxes in the house; we're still short of the number we should technically be at, but we change the litter enough that it isn't ever a problem. The amount of work that takes is staggering, though, even at three litter boxes, and he definitely could not handle it. We scoop twice a day. If we don't scoop twice a day it turns to permanently wet clay, and I can't blame the cats for not wanting to step in that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

at six cats you need those automated litter boxes, particularly for an elderly parent like that

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this flipper absolutely refuses to negotiate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this flipper absolutely refuses to negotiate

Why negotiate when prices can only go up??!?!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Foreclosure is also an option.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

even has central air, not bad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would be seriously comfortable in a dead old person's home. I grew up with wood paneled walls and pastel toilets. I generally like the old furniture, even if it is ugly.

I would deal with the ghost of a racist old woman to sit comfortably in their 50 year old chair and throw out all their Jesus decorations just to taunt the old demon.

But I won't pay 6 figgies for it.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would be seriously comfortable in a dead old person's home. I grew up with wood paneled walls and pastel toilets. I generally like the old furniture, even if it is ugly.

I would deal with the ghost of a racist old woman to sit comfortably in their 50 year old chair and throw out all their Jesus decorations just to taunt the old demon.

But I won't pay 6 figgies for it.

My house is 115 years old, I'm sure some people have fuckin' died in here. It's fine.

My bathroom has no electrical outlets but other than that it's okay.

Apr 7, 2003

I used to drive by this house every day and it turns out that the main portion of it was built in 1790 and it's still a private house.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

My house is 115 years old, I'm sure some people have fuckin' died in here. It's fine.

My bathroom has no electrical outlets but other than that it's okay.

I was more referencing the "stuck in time" styling, not the actual age of the home.

I can't say I would want a 100+ year old house, but one built in the 50s? Sure.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was more referencing the "stuck in time" styling, not the actual age of the home.

I can't say I would want a 100+ year old house, but one built in the 50s? Sure.

Houses built in the 1950s might be shittier, all the poor people housing from 1905 has collapsed already but the poor people houses from the 1950s are still around.

There's a big mix in this particular neighborhood where you have housing meant for middle managers built in 1900-1930 with ~1800 sq ft with nearby lots backfilled with normal people housing built in the 1950s with ~900 sq ft and trash layouts.

Older property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1687-New-Haven-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M45307-58756?ex=2947820424

Newer property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1424-Dagmar-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41888-45661?ex=2947654711

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I’d rather buy one like that than a flip. the flippers will hide potential severe problems. the not updated house will be more honest with you about it’s problems.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My grandparent's house was built in the 50s. It's still in great shape for 70~ years old.

I would never move to Pennsylvania though. Not enough mountains. Too many pennsylvanians.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My grandparent's house was built in the 50s. It's still in great shape for 70~ years old.

I would never move to Pennsylvania though. Not enough mountains. Too many pennsylvanians.

Pennsylvania is one of the most mountainous states east of the Rockies

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’d rather buy one like that than a flip. the flippers will hide potential severe problems. the not updated house will be more honest with you about it’s problems.

There's a place here called Construction Junction, their entire thing is buying and cleaning up old-rear end house stuff that gets torn out when houses are renovated or demolished.

If you want a pink toilet from 1942, they have it.

https://cjreuse.org/

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Houses built in the 1950s might be shittier, all the poor people housing from 1905 has collapsed already but the poor people houses from the 1950s are still around.

There's a big mix in this particular neighborhood where you have housing meant for middle managers built in 1900-1930 with ~1800 sq ft with nearby lots backfilled with normal people housing built in the 1950s with ~900 sq ft and trash layouts.

Older property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1687-New-Haven-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M45307-58756?ex=2947820424

Newer property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1424-Dagmar-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41888-45661?ex=2947654711

the pneumatic nailgun and drywall came into widespread use in the 50s, so they could really crank the houses out at that point

Apr 7, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

the pneumatic nailgun and drywall came into widespread use in the 50s, so they could really crank the houses out at that point

Yeah, all my poo poo here is plaster + lathe except for the kitchen that was completely redone in 2006 and the bathroom which got the same treatment in 1996.

My wife's uncle owns a post-and-beam construction house in Ithaca NY and as far as he can tell the house was built in the 1780s. All wood, still in great shape.

Balloon framing, platform framing, drywall, etc are great for putting houses up fast, but we ended up with a nation full of houses that fall apart really fast and no real impetus to redevelop the neighborhoods they were built in.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That's my logic, but I also have a soft spot for older interior woodwork like door frames and staircase bannisters.

And I live in Colorado, surrounded by mountains in a valley with more than double the elevation on its floor of your state's highest peak. I fart at 7500ft.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's my logic, but I also have a soft spot for older interior woodwork like door frames and staircase bannisters.

And I live in Colorado, surrounded by mountains in a valley with more than double the elevation on its floor of your state's highest peak. I fart at 7500ft.

The views may be breathtaking, but we have water.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There's a place here called Construction Junction, their entire thing is buying and cleaning up old-rear end house stuff that gets torn out when houses are renovated or demolished.

If you want a pink toilet from 1942, they have it.

https://cjreuse.org/

out here we have second use. picked up some awesome old fashioned hanging glass light fixtures last time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The views may be breathtaking, but we have water.

We got water. The water plate here is less than 10 feet down in a lot of places here. The Rio Grande starts to the west of me in the San Juans, and the 14ers east of me hold snow until June and refreshes the aquifer.

If we run out of that aquifer, we have an isolated aquifer deeper down that Denver has been trying to get on for years. YEARS.

A lot of baby food is grown here, Gerber sources a bunch of their food from the valley.

What we don't have is humidity and I'm fine with that. Summer peaked at 92°F with 10%~ humidity.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We got water. The water plate here is less than 10 feet down in a lot of places here. The Rio Grande starts to the west of me in the San Juans, and the 14ers east of me hold snow until June and refreshes the aquifer.

If we run out of that aquifer, we have an isolated aquifer deeper down that Denver has been trying to get on for years. YEARS.

A lot of baby food is grown here, Gerber sources a bunch of their food from the valley.

What we don't have is humidity and I'm fine with that. Summer peaked at 92°F with 10%~ humidity.

I'm interested in the terms of how Gerber uses the land around you and whether or not the law places limits on what they can take.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

my dick is the biggest one inside my underwear

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I'm interested in the terms of how Gerber uses the land around you and whether or not the law places limits on what they can take.

Gerber buys from local co-ops, who buy from farmers. We have a large potato community here, but also greens and grain. It's not all desert sand, there's tillable soil in the west and north central parts of the valley, it's just not loam rich like you would find in the upper midwest.

Water rights are very strict here, though, but once a farmer has his allotment in acre-feet, they're not obligated to give it up. If you buy a farm here and don't get water rights in the sale, you're hosed and you go to the back of a very long list.

Household wells are not a water rights thing, but there are places you cannot drill here per the counties for preservation reasons.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gerber buys from local co-ops, who buy from farmers. We have a large potato community here, but also greens and grain. It's not all desert sand, there's tillable soil in the west and north central parts of the valley, it's just not loam rich like you would find in the upper midwest.

Water rights are very strict here, though, but once a farmer has his allotment in acre-feet, they're not obligated to give it up. If you buy a farm here and don't get water rights in the sale, you're hosed and you go to the back of a very long list.

Household wells are not a water rights thing, but there are places you cannot drill here per the counties for preservation reasons.

I've got to wonder how terms like that work out into steady state communities like the one you said you live in. There's nothing wrong with that from my POV, we're just all numbed from the idea of capital saying that the natural state of things is boomtown or nothing.

Apr 7, 2003

If someone told me that my labor would give me X a year in perpetuity and I could just kinda chill and do my farming and read anything I wanted and do anything I wanted within those financial boundaries that'd be a win in my book. idk

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I've got to wonder how terms like that work out into steady state communities like the one you said you live in. There's nothing wrong with that from my POV, we're just all numbed from the idea of capital saying that the natural state of things is boomtown or nothing.

Couldn't really say, the communities still standing in the valley are generally not considered boomtowns. There are dying communities, but this isn't 1880, no one is realistically coming out here for the newest discovered gold vein or oil pocket. The valley has a stable population, but it's a slower, cheaper way of life here. Definitely not for everyone. The nearest interstate is an hour and 20 minutes away. Trains haul most all the agricultural products out.

It's just a quiet gem of an area, that gets down to -30° in the winter. It's stable in the sense that there's work for most everyone, but it may not be the work you want to do. It's like a lot of farm communities you would find anywhere else. If the balloon went up tomorrow, the valley could provide for itself in a lot of ways.

That doesn't mean we don't have fiber running all over the desert part of the valley, you could easily work from home in a lot of these tiny towns. You just can't go to a shopping mall or an Applebees (we have a Chili's) on a whim because they're 2 hours away.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

If someone told me that my labor would give me X a year in perpetuity and I could just kinda chill and do my farming and read anything I wanted and do anything I wanted within those financial boundaries that'd be a win in my book. idk

If you want a more simple lifestyle, we have a fairly decent size community of both amish and mennonite.

If you want a mountain town frequently visited by bears, look up Crestone, Colorado. Absolutely beautiful little hippy town up on the Sangre de Cristos, front row seat to mountain views. I was just there on tuesday.

Yeah, we have the Great Sand Dunes (biggest goddamn dunes in the western hemisphere), but when you start looking west of state highway 17 here, you'll find lots of arable soil rich in sand and some clay that are great for root crops, as long as the aquifers have the water. Being surrounded by mountains, we won't be screwed here until snow stops falling.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
No, trust me. A house is definitely a really bad decision for most people. It's just soooo much money, omg. It's totally better to pay rent every month for the rest of your life. Maintenance is so expensive and isn't it nice to just call your landlord and have them do it for you? Just trust me, it totally is better. Most landlords are probably subsidizing your living, honestly, lol.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

san luis valley is awesome i love it there ive been thinking about getting a place there just to watch the sunset on the mountains

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

iCe-CuBe. posted:

No, trust me. A house is definitely a really bad decision for most people. It's just soooo much money, omg. It's totally better to pay rent every month for the rest of your life. Maintenance is so expensive and isn't it nice to just call your landlord and have them do it for you? Just trust me, it totally is better. Most landlords are probably subsidizing your living, honestly, lol.

my rent keep go up :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a guy for sure died in our house, i think i know which room even

we just converted it from the guest room to one of my daughter's bedrooms

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a guy for sure died in our house, i think i know which room even

we just converted it from the guest room to one of my daughter's bedrooms

My dad had something like that happen to him. The guy living in the house before him died and was a chain smoker. The wallpapers were yellowed and it smelled like cigarettes for a year before finally going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh this dude dropped dead in the middle of the day i assume from masturbating

e: it was his office

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Sep 16, 2022