Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

season of the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

season of the switch

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

i havent actually been looking at game footage so the clip on this of waterskiing godzilla is killing me lmfao god

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
bayonetta is too good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm dying waiting for this game lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

season of the switch

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

is P5 good? I loved P4G and SMTV

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's still okay but it's not as good as either of those games you just said. I think it's worth playing if you like Persona.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

right arm posted:

i liked the rerelease version a lot op but it really depends on how much you like the lifesim/hang out bits

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

right arm posted:

I really enjoyed it. Sort of wore out it’s welcome by the end because it’s a very long game (My save file was over 150 hours and that wasn’t even a 100% run, though I also tend to go through games at a really slow pace) but the combat system is really fun, I enjoyed the baton pass/1 more system as a spin on SMT press turn system, and though the overall story wasn’t anything special I thought the writing on a lot of the smaller B-plots and character moments was good. It’s my only Persona game though so I can’t compare to the others, though I had played SMT 3, 4, 4A, and 5 when I played it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:tipshat:

love that stuff. too many good games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s good OP but P4G is probably the best one. Play P3 because it also kicks rear end.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
drat I think 3 is my favorite and I get why people would like 5 the best because the presentation is so slick with great music and stuff but I think 4 is significantly less good than the other two in terms of plot and characters and social links and stuff. Does still have great music and a cool aesthetic tho.

Anyway 5 is good and worth playing but the dungeons drag on forever sometimes

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I think whichever one you played first will be your favorite. Like 4 is by far my favorite. I played it like 2 or 3 times back to back when it came out lol. I thought I was burned out on it forever until I tried P4G on steam and it hooked me again. Just proving to myself that it wasn't nostalgia.

3 is excellent as well, just a hair under 4. The dorms vibe remains undefeated

5 is mid as hell in comparison, imo. The story, characters, s.links, music etc. all way under par. Literally the only thing it does better are the mechanics, like fusing and stuff. I can never remember the cat's name.. I don't remember any s.links aside from the Shogi girl. Everything about it just came off completely lukewarm to me, BUT like I said this is due to me playing the other 2 + every other SMT game in between. I think it makes sense to like it if it was your first in the series

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I definitely think it's possible that 3 is just my favorite cause it was the first one yeah

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
5 is my favorite and it was my first one but i also love tight gameplay mechanics and the color red

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

One of the prevailing fan theories online is that Joker and Goro were gay for each other which I lolled at. Then I started thinking that probably would've worked in a weird way. ANything would be better than what we got

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
4 is a top 10 rpg imo

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve played like 13 rpgs tops though

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

right arm posted:

no

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
first off, if you haven't played any SMT game, play those before persona, please. After that, its 4,3,2:IS, 2:EP, 5, 1. But SMT core and other spin offs are way better than Persona imo and 5 is pretty low tier on all of that (I couldn't even finish it, once I got to the pyramid enough was enough. The best part of P5 seemed to be the opening dungeon and it was all downhill from there.)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
4>5>3 is my ranking of personas I've played

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I like 4 and 5 a lot and 3 I didn't care for so much

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i was stunned that i enjoyed dragon quest 11 more than persona 5 and im still not sure why

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

i was stunned that i enjoyed dragon quest 11 more than persona 5 and im still not sure why

I'm not sure why that's supposed to be stunning. DQ11 is probably the best JRPG ever made for me, outranking 8 and SMT3 (this actually did surprise me)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Because it's 1000000x better lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure why you liked it or not sure why you were stunned? Because I’ve got a fairly obvious answer for the former lol.

E;fb

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DQ11 is one of the GOATs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i value style too highly for a game that looks like dragon quest to win out but it just was so mechanically perfect. being a good game is really the most important thing and sometimes i forget that

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

first off, if you haven't played any SMT game, play those before persona, please. After that, its 4,3,2:IS, 2:EP, 5, 1. But SMT core and other spin offs are way better than Persona imo and 5 is pretty low tier on all of that (I couldn't even finish it, once I got to the pyramid enough was enough. The best part of P5 seemed to be the opening dungeon and it was all downhill from there.)

Yeah the writing really fell off a cliff after the first dungeon, which is a shame because it's a strong rear end intro. You can tell they lost some talent in the writing department like, just look at Ann. Her entire arc is not wanting to be seen as a dumb blonde bimbo, and her entire s.link is her becoming a dumb blonde bimbo

wtf was going on there

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah the writing really fell off a cliff after the first dungeon, which is a shame because it's a strong rear end intro. You can tell they lost some talent in the writing department like, just look at Ann. Her entire arc is not wanting to be seen as a dumb blonde bimbo, and her entire s.link is her becoming a dumb blonde bimbo

wtf was going on there

its like that the entire game! and once they started with the Futaba poo poo enough was enough

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

There's no reason to care about the villains after the first dungeon because they're generally not connected well to the cast at all. Like the random yakuza boss who no one remembers the name of.

I actually played royal after hearing some people say the extra stuff is good but the third semester felt extremely tacked on so I didn't even finish it. And it does not in any way "fix Akechi" which is one of the things I heard. So don't be fooled.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

One of the prevailing fan theories online is that Joker and Goro were gay for each other which I lolled at. Then I started thinking that probably would've worked in a weird way. ANything would be better than what we got

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It feels like way more than a theory lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I know everyone is piling on 5 right now but lol, I have to say this. Ever since I played P4 in 2008/9, I imagined a dream musou game with the full cast of demons in the series w/spells etc. Well that game finally got made, and I have no interest in playing it because it's a P5 spinoff

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It feels like way more than a theory lol

They really should've just ran with it. Classic "falling in love with the target" style poo poo?? Could've worked

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I know everyone is piling on 5 right now but lol, I have to say this. Ever since I played P4 in 2008/9, I imagined a dream musou game with the full cast of demons in the series w/spells etc. Well that game finally got made, and I have no interest in playing it because it's a P5 spinoff

It’s pretty good but it’s got a really weird structure that doesn’t mesh with the musou gameplay well, like you’re running around dungeons like in P5 but when you attack an enemy they explode into a thousand of them and then it becomes a brief musou battle

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

liyterally forgot that existed until this very moment and feel exactly the same way lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That’s some Kaworu/Shinji level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ive never played 4 or 5 but 2:is and 3 made me to go sleep depressed after i beat them.

That Little Demon posted:

first off, if you haven't played any SMT game, play those before persona, please.

this. it is unreal how good smt is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlDmZpDHis