Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Anyone else got the outer wilds update, but the framerate is trash and stuttery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Just beat the orphan of kos, solo, on my sixth try. It was frantic and fun and wow. I feel great. Recorded the video too :3 man. Steaming through this game. Also when the kos parasite popped in my inventory I got the old hunters weapons trophy!

Only two to go.

Fantastic work! And also you should have streamed it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Ella Balinska is fine. The direction and script is not helping her.

Indeed, the actors are rarely the issue. The direction is definitely the obvious worst bit. Good direction can get people through weird or bad scripts.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

streaming bloodborne while i should be working if anyone is into listening to grown men curse any time they get hit by an enemy claiming it's total bullshit

https://www.twitch.tv/willxcore_

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Arist posted:

It's cool for them until some pencil pusher looks at a bunch of spreadsheets and says "hmm, we don't need all these different redundant departments, let's cut half our new employees" or "single player games aren't selling well, we should stop making them," and they now control 30% of the industry so that decision is incredibly harmful

Feel like I'm already seeing this with some of the developers they've acquired. Like with how InExile and Obsidian don't have any isometric rpgs currently in development.

Oh man, I hope someone tells me how wrong I am and :actually: InExile is working on Wasteland 4 and Obsidian on Tyranny 2 as we speak :pray:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

they’ve added an easy mode and a hard (Master) mode, default is the original

There was even a more recent summer update that added optional modifiers like increased enemy attack speed, unbreakable weapons, low gravity, bullet time, etc. They've done an awesome job of continuing to add things to the game to not only make it more accessible to more players but also to make it potentially more challenging if that's what you're after

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this deal would have major good implications for Xbox gamers and the future of the gamepass imho

i don't care about that stuff, but i'm rooting for you to get the poo poo you want op. competition is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Feel like I'm already seeing this with some of the developers they've acquired. Like with how InExile and Obsidian don't have any isometric rpgs currently in development.

Oh man, I hope someone tells me how wrong I am and :actually: InExile is working on Wasteland 4 and Obsidian on Tyranny 2 as we speak :pray:

I think this is because nobody bought those games op

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

It definitely comes off as working the refs from Sony, but that's not actually an incorrect statement (in the sense that the Activision Blizzard acquisition is a massive step toward further media consolidation, which is an inherent bad)

yeah, the optics of petty corpos airing dirty laundry as corporate strategy aside, the last 12 months have been a slowly unfolding disaster for the industry broadly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Obsidian might not be working on isometric RPGs but the vast majority of their games aren't isometric RPGs so that's not that weird. They are working on a 2D narrative adventure game directed by Josh Sawyer that seems somewhat like the video version of The Name of the Rose, so I dunno if I'd write them off as being compromised by the market forces of their parent company just yet.

As much as I'm uneasy at ongoing conglomeration of every media industry, Actiblizz sucks rear end and I could be convinced that Microsoft acquiring them could actually be better for the consumer than them remaining separate. Whatever fears about X not selling and bean counters cutting Y department you might have, it feels to me like they're way more likely to happen under the current Actiblizz leadership than under Microsoft. They're already well-known for turning companies they've acquired into Call of Duty content mills and Microsoft just doesn't have the same incentive to do that.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think this is because nobody bought those games op

I bought them Villeneuve, I bought them!!!!

:sigh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Phew, I beat San Andreas (again) just in time for the Modern Warfare 2 beta to start :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ulio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDI4ehuA38

Some new footage of Wo Long(looks amazing), there is a character creator and there seems to be personal pronouns? Some chud will get mad this because it's not historically accurate Three Kingdoms in a game where you are literally shooting lighting spells out of your fingertips.

Mad props to Team Ninja for figuring out a strategy for the studio to churn out hits on their own terms. Def seems like the Koei Tecmo merger was a decent fit for them (rather than Square) after years of Itagaki making that studio into his own little personality cult. Nioh releasing and selling decently seems to have been the catalyst. In light of all that it is interesting that Stranger of Paradise even exists, but who knows how these backroom deals in japan work. Koei-Tecmo broadly and Team Ninja specifically are killing it these days.

What's interesting is that the studio that Itagaki helped form after he left Tecmo, Valhalla, got eaten up by Soleil ltd... the developer of that Wanted: Dead game, which also looks deece.

bows1 posted:

drat I thought this was the Chinese one

That's Wu-Kong.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

Volte posted:

Obsidian might not be working on isometric RPGs but the vast majority of their games aren't isometric RPGs so that's not that weird. They are working on a 2D narrative adventure game directed by Josh Sawyer that seems somewhat like the video version of The Name of the Rose, so I dunno if I'd write them off as being compromised by the market forces of their parent company just yet.

As much as I'm uneasy at ongoing conglomeration of every media industry, Actiblizz sucks rear end and I could be convinced that Microsoft acquiring them could actually be better for the consumer than them remaining separate. Whatever fears about X not selling and bean counters cutting Y department you might have, it feels to me like they're way more likely to happen under the current Actiblizz leadership than under Microsoft. They're already well-known for turning companies they've acquired into Call of Duty content mills and Microsoft just doesn't have the same incentive to do that.

Yeah, you're probably right.

The state of 'western style' isometric rpgs is actually pretty strong. Lots of stuff coming out of smaller studios/eastern europe, and even some big hits with Disco Elysium and Original Sin 2.
I just know it's a very niche genre so I'm paranoid about it disappearing altogether.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this game is bugfuck insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSILr0ivaQ

lmao that the technocapitalist climate-change distaster metaphor is called 'leviathan'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Yeah, you're probably right.

The state of 'western style' isometric rpgs is actually pretty strong. Lots of stuff coming out of smaller studios/eastern europe, and even some big hits with Disco Elysium and Original Sin 2.
I just know it's a very niche genre so I'm paranoid about it disappearing altogether.

A couple things to keep in mind about this: first there is room for a couple developers to be making these kinds of games to sell and there are people who like making them, especially in Europe so even if Obsidian or inExile or Hairbrained Schemes stop, they’ll keep getting made by someone.

Second, and probably bigger, is that while MS and EA gobble up studios that seem to “die” as the parent company grabs the talent and IP they want, the quieter part is that it’s a cash-out for studios that don’t have the energy or momentum to keep going independently anymore. It’s something you see all over tech, not just in games.

I doubt Obsidian is in full cash-out mode though since Josh was pretty upfront about the fact that their isometric RPG sales were considerably lower than they expected and they didn’t want to keep doing the kickstarter thing. He’s said if they do more of the IPs, it’ll be a shake-up in terms of how the games play.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Going to start Horizon Forbidden West. Are there any must-know tips prior to starting? Anything on the level of how in the first game it was a huge time-saver not to bother with any weapon upgrades until you got to the capital, where you skip the other ties and get access to purple gear.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love KT and Team Ninja, they're 100% my darling developer beginning with Ninja Gaiden. It's good to see that they're putting all the Square Enix money they pretended to spend on a final fantasy game to good use as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Going to start Horizon Forbidden West. Are there any must-know tips prior to starting? Anything on the level of how in the first game it was a huge time-saver not to bother with any weapon upgrades until you got to the capital, where you skip the other ties and get access to purple gear.

First tip is to look for the sisters in Chainscrape who will make the Javelin weapon for you, it's a real life-saver. Also, max out the skills in the survivor/healer and javelin categories right away.

Second tip is to make sure you have a variety of weapons specializing in different things. So if you have a sling that does frost and a bow that does acid, try not to have other weapons that do those elements. You need much more diversity in your arsenal to stay viable.

Third tip, don't be afraid to just mainline the main story quest for a good long while, it will take you all over the place and if you see a sidequest you like you can do that, too. Just don't get too hung up on being completionist early on because there are a fuckton of side activities. Just do the types thatyou enjoy (for me that was relic puzzles, and climbing puzzles) and skip the rest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megasabin posted:

Your basic bow is now poo poo at close-range engagements, that space was carved out for the new warrior bow weapon type

The first mission is very heavy on dialog and exposition dumps, once you get to the open world proper it lets up (somewhat)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

If you're making these games run on series S might as well make them run on ps4

My feeling as well. If you're gonna bottleneck that poo poo you might as well do so for the largest audience possible, and none of this seems like an issue anyways since RE Engine is a god drat technological miracle. REmake 3 is incredible to look at!

fridge corn posted:

Give me a new breath of fire game capcom u cowards

I'd prefer to just have access to 2, 3 and 4. The rest of that series can take a hike.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My feeling as well. If you're gonna bottleneck that poo poo you might as well do so for the largest audience possible, and none of this seems like an issue anyways since RE Engine is a god drat technological miracle. REmake 3 is incredible to look at!

Graphics and what games can do isn't leaping forward like it once did and PC games run on 2016 and earlier hardware. So yeah just use low graphics settings with long load times and release the games on old consoles if you like. It's not like we are talking graphical leaps and bounds. Basically feels like 4k v HD and load times these days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holy loving poo poo street fighter 6 looks so good goddamn

Its yakuza but with street fighter for the fights instead of yakuza. 10/10

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

First tip is to look for the sisters in Chainscrape who will make the Javelin weapon for you, it's a real life-saver. Also, max out the skills in the survivor/healer and javelin categories right away.

Second tip is to make sure you have a variety of weapons specializing in different things. So if you have a sling that does frost and a bow that does acid, try not to have other weapons that do those elements. You need much more diversity in your arsenal to stay viable.

Third tip, don't be afraid to just mainline the main story quest for a good long while, it will take you all over the place and if you see a sidequest you like you can do that, too. Just don't get too hung up on being completionist early on because there are a fuckton of side activities. Just do the types thatyou enjoy (for me that was relic puzzles, and climbing puzzles) and skip the rest.

Thank you!

And the other important question I forgot to ask! I understand the game has had significant tweaks to it's graphics setting in multiple patches. Anyone know what's the go to nowadays? I remember reading the thread in launch week and lot's of people then said that the 30 FPS highest quality mode did look substantially better if you don't mind 30FPS. But I believe the many patches have been aimed at improving the performance mode? I also think there is a new hybrid mode?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The javelin is the best thing in hfw. Very fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Thank you!

And the other important question I forgot to ask! I understand the game has had significant tweaks to it's graphics setting in multiple patches. Anyone know what's the go to nowadays? I remember reading the thread in launch week and lot's of people then said that the 30 FPS highest quality mode did look substantially better if you don't mind 30FPS. But I believe the many patches have been aimed at improving the performance mode? I also think there is a new hybrid mode?

I played on 60performance mode in june (dunno what patch) and it looked great. The game is a stunner either way and a lot of the kinks were worked out in the last 6 months.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Performance gets my vote.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pc specs for Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves - 10/19/2022, first Naughty Dog Engine game to get a PC port so I'm sure we'll see some DF tech breakdowns

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It’d run at ultra at 1080p or high at 1440p on my 6yo pc I hate playing on. Woo I guess

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's good to hear because shiny as it is the game is like 6 years old

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0dPJN1Y8hM

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wasnt big on sable. It just doesnt feel good to control.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Graphics and what games can do isn't leaping forward like it once did and PC games run on 2016 and earlier hardware. So yeah just use low graphics settings with long load times and release the games on old consoles if you like. It's not like we are talking graphical leaps and bounds. Basically feels like 4k v HD and load times these days.

Ray tracing has the potential for a graphical leap like they used to make but this gen launched like three or four years too early for it oh well. Maybe in a decade

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Don’t care if Sable is any good, it has a beautiful art style and soundtrack by Japanese Breakfast. An automatic buy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

Ray tracing has the potential for a graphical leap like they used to make but this gen launched like three or four years too early for it oh well. Maybe in a decade

Yeah but I don't think ray tracing is going full stride this gen while also maintaining frames and fidelity. That being said who knows what the computer wizards will be cooking up once this gen is another year old.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Don’t care if Sable is any good, it has a beautiful art style and soundtrack by Japanese Breakfast. An automatic buy.

I liked the art style too and then saw that it's trampled half the time by night muting all the colors, it makes the game so much flatter looking. Tread carefully

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Wasnt big on sable. It just doesnt feel good to control.

Yeah I didn't like it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

Yeah but I don't think ray tracing is going full stride this gen while also maintaining frames and fidelity. That being said who knows what the computer wizards will be cooking up once this gen is another year old.

I think that’s the right way to look at it, lower spec’d RT capabilities mean you can’t just shove more power at the problem, and devs can focus on efficiency to get better results, which means that when more powerful RT stuff is introduced then they can really hit the ground running.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Downloading Outer Wilds PS5 version. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Downloading Outer Wilds PS5 version. Wish me luck.

Finalllyyu, I demand extensive trip reports