Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My house went up for sale last Thursday, two viewings that night, full price offer Friday morning. Waited till Monday but didn't get any other offers so accepted that offer.

Now hopefully it doesn't fall apart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I visited my Mom's old farmhouse for the first time in a few years, she's been insisting she visit me for a while now and I've discovered why. I noticed the wall had some water staining, and when I touched the drywall, it basically crumbled. I'm looking at a roof leak that hosed probably 1-2 feet of sill plate, one (probably more) joists, studs/etc. And the roofing itself. And since water damage loves to spread, it's probably going to be a lot more to take care of than what I am seeing. Money is kind of tight and I don't want to have to spend $40k on repairs.

Is this something I should be finding a general contractor for, or is there a specific kind of person I need to be looking for for this kind of work?

Also, I need to figure out a way of dealing with a mentally ill older boomer who is insistent that "nothing needs to be done, don't worry" and "she didn't want to be a bother when she saw water dripping from the ceiling".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McGrady posted:

Is this something I should be finding a general contractor for, or is there a specific kind of person I need to be looking for for this kind of work?

A roofer.

You need to stop the leak first and foremost so no MORE damage is done.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

McGrady posted:

Also, I need to figure out a way of dealing with a mentally ill older boomer who is insistent that "nothing needs to be done, don't worry" and "she didn't want to be a bother when she saw water dripping from the ceiling".

This is something hard to deal with as the level of obstinacy goes through the roof (just like water!) long before it rises to the level of conservatorship. Does she have a local friend you could enlist to help her understand the importance of talking to you when things happen? How it makes the house lose value (boomer :siren: ) and you care and want to help her out / isn't a bother.

Unfortunately without her engagement there isn't much you can do unless she's literally suffering from diagnosed dementia (et al.)

If you want to help you need to setup a regular cadence of visiting mom "because you miss her." you're into e/n territory though sadly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My mom is at retirement age and some roofer convinced her to upgrade to the "50 year roof" whatever that means. I guess if she makes it to 120 she'll always feel good that she can call in her warranty. Seems like she got scammed. She lives many states away so I don't have much control over those things like I did before i moved away

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

My mom is at retirement age and some roofer convinced her to upgrade to the "50 year roof" whatever that means. I guess if she makes it to 120 she'll always feel good that she can call in her warranty. Seems like she got scammed. She lives many states away so I don't have much control over those things like I did before i moved away

Is this one of those deals where the company offering the warranties goes out of business in 10 years and everyone involved reconstitutes themselves as Another Roofing Company LLC?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this one of those deals where the company offering the warranties goes out of business in 10 years and everyone involved reconstitutes themselves as Another Roofing Company LLC?

50 Year Roof is just one of those naming conventions for Good - Better - Best. The same product from one manufacturer might come in

30 Year Shingle
50 Year Shingle
Lifetime Shingle

The material is just heavier with more layers of Stuff and so it should in theory last longer, although the material on the roofing isn't usually what causes failure. They usually do have a warranty in line with their name, but it'll only cover a failure due to the layers of asphalt wearing away, which won't happen for many decades past when your flashing and nail holes cause the roof to die!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much more expensive are spanish style red ceramic roofs made from the half circle shape

Seems like those last for 100 years, and if a tile breaks, you could crawl up there, wiggle it loose and swap it out, rather than replace the whole thing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this one of those deals where the company offering the warranties goes out of business in 10 months and everyone involved reconstitutes themselves as Another Roofing Company LLC?

Fixed that for you, no roofing company, at least around here is in business for 10 years, under the same name lol

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm in Texas and asphalt shingles rarely last even 20 years here due to hail. I splurged when I had mine replaced with a 30 year rated roof with the highest impact rating I could find and I probably wasted some money on it but since my next roof will require a new decking and probably some rafter replacements, I figured I might as well delay the next reroofing as much as possible.

Maybe she was just thinking if she gets the 50 year roof (if it's truly rated that long and not some warranty scam) that it will be something she just doesnt have to worry about anymore for the rest of her life.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We paid a few hundred extra to get a 25 year manufacturer's warranty that covered labor. Also included going through and replacing all the associated parts (underlayment, flashing, boots, etc.) with manufacturer approved material. Shingle warranty is 50, but that's the shingle only, and the installer's labor warranty was 2 years I think.

We're in a place that gets a cat 1/2 hurricane come by on occasion, so it'll see some wind/rain in that time, and MAYBE we'll recover that money one day. Hopefully we won't have to.

We're not big "extended warranty" people, but it seemed like a wise choice at the time. Time will tell!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I really want a metal roof when we redo ours in a couple years. I think they look good and personally enjoy the sound of the rain on them. Assuming it ever rains again in CA.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

spf3million posted:

I really want a metal roof when we redo ours in a couple years. I think they look good and personally enjoy the sound of the rain on them. Assuming it ever rains again in CA.

I too would really like a metal roof, not having to think about redoing my roof for hail sounds great. The cost, however, will likely prevent me from getting one for a while.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I got a white-painted one recently for temperature control, it's done wonders for keeping upstairs temperatures down.

Don't hear any of the rain-on-metal sound though, except if you're right next to where the vent exits into the kitchen

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

if a tile breaks, you could crawl up there, wiggle it loose and swap it out, rather than replace the whole thing

bad news, you're going to break 3 more crawling up there. They are also, as you would guess, tremendously heavy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's never just one but they do last forever. However you will still get random leaks from the valleys and odd angles because the solution is basically to just pile them up and mortar it until it doesn't.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
if you're spending tile roof money today, you probably also spend to bituthene all the potential problem areas. Whole roof with it might be prohibitively expensive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

bad news, you're going to break 3 more crawling up there. They are also, as you would guess, tremendously heavy.

Is weight much of a concern? Honestly curious. Presumably there's an upper limit to what a roof truss will handle, but presumably a top plate + 16" studs would have no trouble transferring that load into the ground? Guessing

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

My friend was looking at buying a house with its original slate roof, which was apparently in pretty excellent condition considering its age. The house was built in 1896.

Slate roofs last forever if you take care of them - there are a few Victorian era houses that I know of that have their original slate roofs, and in one case I chatted up the crew working on one of them, and they said that even though the roof was looking a little worse for wear, it was solid with zero leaks ever and they didn't need to touch it.

When our non-original asphalt roof is up for replacement in a few years, we might look into that slate-like ceramic stuff (not sure we can afford real slate, but one can dream) for a longer lasting, better looking roof.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

We have slate on a small portion of our roof and it’s from 1910 and going strong. A bunch of the tiles are dyed as well to make a design.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The problem with slate roofs (at least in the US) isn’t the slate; it’s the nails. They rust out.

Slate does chip & crack from time to time. The downside is finding anyone who knows how to work & repair slate. In the 80s and 90s, in PA, the guys that did slate were these 70-90-YO German dudes.

We have a saying in our line of work:

“What do you pay a slate roofer?”

“Anything he wants”

Expect to pay ten times the going rate for dimensional shingle. Last roof you’ll ever buy, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Upgrade posted:

We have slate on a small portion of our roof and it’s from 1910 and going strong. A bunch of the tiles are dyed as well to make a design.

Neat, any chance you could post a pic? I'd love to see it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm having a difficult time deciding what I want to put in this little space I have direct across the garage door near the front entrance.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of buying a hall tree versus doing a bench with a shoe rack and mounting a coat rack?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
nevermind i'm bad at posting

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Abyss posted:

I too would really like a metal roof, not having to think about redoing my roof for hail sounds great. The cost, however, will likely prevent me from getting one for a while.

What is the delta between asphalt and metal roofs?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blindeye posted:

What is the delta between asphalt and metal roofs?

Thatch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZT3SytVrxE

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm having a difficult time deciding what I want to put in this little space I have direct across the garage door near the front entrance.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of buying a hall tree versus doing a bench with a shoe rack and mounting a coat rack?

Hall trees are easy to knock over when you hang your heavy winter coat. Do a bench and a coat rack.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sirotan posted:

Neat, any chance you could post a pic? I'd love to see it.

basically looks like this

its a very small patch of the 'visible from street' almost vertical roof which probably helps in way its lasted so long. rest of the roof (95% of the house) is TPO.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Spring broke on the garage door. :( At least only one car was in the garage when it happened, so we have some transportation until someone can come out and fix it.

Why do these things always happen at like 7pm on a Friday?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

MrLogan posted:

Spring broke on the garage door. :( At least only one car was in the garage when it happened, so we have some transportation until someone can come out and fix it.

Why do these things always happen at like 7pm on a Friday?

Garage door people in our area do 24/7 service, if you live somewhere moderately dense you can probably find the same. Just redid springs on ours, was like $800 I think

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Anza Borrego posted:

Garage door people in our area do 24/7 service, if you live somewhere moderately dense you can probably find the same. Just redid springs on ours, was like $800 I think

Holy moley, did you do 4 springs? I had one done for under $200.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojOfaaDgfA

This is a bad capacitor right?

We had our outdoor unit replaced around 6 months ago, it did this once before after it had been turned off for a few days. By the time the guys could come out it started working again. I specifically asked them to check/replace the capacitor then, but I was not home so he said everything looks fine and took off since it was working.

I'll just order the drat thing on Amazon but want to at least get a sanity check first.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

opengl posted:

We had our outdoor unit replaced around 6 months ago, it did this once before after it had been turned off for a few days. By the time the guys could come out it started working again. I specifically asked them to check/replace the capacitor then, but I was not home so he said everything looks fine and took off since it was working.

I'll just order the drat thing on Amazon but want to at least get a sanity check first.

6 months ago? Don't touch it unfortunately, make them come out and show them that video. As it stands this is warranty work, but if you touch it they're going to throw their hands up and charge you. You're probably right though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl posted:

No. Not necessarily. Especially not on a new unit.

Get them out there. Don't touch anything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

opengl posted:

That doesn't seem like a capacitor to me. It sounds like your contactor is cutting on/off to me which could be anything from a bad thermostat, to a short, to a pressure switch tripping.

Definitely get it checked out under warranty.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mine needed a capacitor and made a horrible sound but still worked. It now is fixed and makes the normal horrible sounds.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

StormDrain posted:

Holy moley, did you do 4 springs? I had one done for under $200.

Eh, I misspoke a bit. That number was springs and two hinges for a 17’ W door, so probably not comparable for a standard single width door.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl posted:

Welp just like last time after failing to start all day, the next day it's working fine. They're on the way but I fully expect them to say everything checks out. What can I reasonably expect here when it's functioning fine when they show up? I get they can't just throw parts at it, but there's obviously something intermittently wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl posted:

Welp just like last time after failing to start all day, the next day it's working fine. They're on the way but I fully expect them to say everything checks out. What can I reasonably expect here when it's functioning fine when they show up? I get they can't just throw parts at it, but there's obviously something intermittently wrong.

At a minimum they need to throw an amp clamp on the fan and the compressor and see if either are running high. If you have a fancy new unit they may have codes/code history that they can go through to see what it thought was going on.

This looks like a control failure. Or maybe a control success - it could be monitoring its own amp draw and stopping the startup sequence when it's drawing too much. Although that see WAAAAAAYYYY too advanced for resi stuff.

They should also be checking the basics like if the wiring on the condenser is all tight. Those things rattle and shake a lot. It wouldn't be a surprise to se an intermittent electrical issue that could be disconnecting power from one of the cap leads or something during startup. There should be traces of black/burning if this is the case.

E: I just listened to that video again. The need to put a set of gauges on it. I'm now thinking it's a charge issue because you can hear the compressor let off when it stops. Overcharged? Does this only happen when it's hot out/sun directly on the unit?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

He just left. He did check charge level, and power draw, all normal.

I did manage to get a picture of the power draw yesterday off my energy monitor when it was failing to start.

This is a successful start:

I'm also leaning towards intermittent electrical issue, but the guy they sent was pretty green and didn't seem comfortable with much more diagnosis. I showed him those pictures and he didn't have much to say, he's going to run it by the other guys tomorrow (I'm really hoping they have a greybeard on staff) and get back to me.