Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Call me crazy but I'm feeling just a little bit of The Gunslinger vibes from Back. Abigail isn't pursuing a man in black across the desert but she is being tailed by a witch, driven towards some goal she barely understands herself

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: God's body is thrown through the window from the force of the cops' hail of bullets! Was it enough to stop him before the change could take place? Joost and a dying Mr. Toe Star share a tender moment!

Read right to left:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Spectral Wizard
Chap 3: 18-23 of 62

Spectral Wizard
Chap 3: 24-34 of 62

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Call me crazy but I'm feeling just a little bit of The Gunslinger vibes from Back. Abigail isn't pursuing a man in black across the desert but she is being tailed by a witch, driven towards some goal she barely understands herself

As long as we don't get a cameo by noted webcomic writer KC Green, the important conduit through which the story must flow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

As long as we don't get a cameo by noted webcomic writer KC Green, the important conduit through which the story must flow

Yeah long as we avoid that and the final confrontation being Gargamel throwing Harry Potter sneetches we should be good

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And so we continue our journey to cover most of Kaoru Mori's body of work outside of her two big series Emma and A Bride's Story. Anything posted from here on out are gonna be oneshots each one only taking a couple days to post, with some so short they'll only last a single day. And we'll start with a bit of a smooth segue from the final Shirley chapter—that one was about food and had a recipe, so let's stay on that topic!

I present Central Asian Cooking, a series Mori did for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, highlighting the cuisine of five Central Asian countries. Now—there are actually seven parts of this, but only six have been translated. They are however entirely self-contained (to the point where I didn't realize at first there was one more chapter), and they're only three pages each, so I'll be posting two a day. And because the series is available for downloading on the ministry's website, this is pretty much a webcomic!

And as a bonus, I will be posting real pictures of the foods they make. So here's a plate of manti!

...and if some Japanese-fluent goon wants to help me get the seventh chapter (also just three pages) translated, shoot me a PM. No chance I can get that done by myself in any reasonable amount of time.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Sep 15, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would like to sign up for a service to receive fresh made examples of everything Central Asian Cooking makes, thank you in advance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

uh I don't know about tasting raw beef to see if it's tasty lol

e: adding cumin to beef is the loving truth tho.

Shageletic has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Sep 15, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

raw beef is good, op

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
raw beef is perfectly safe

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You get sick if you don't eat raw beef, actually.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tasting a small quantity of raw beef is not as bad for you as having a big steak tartar and anyway you can keep a small pan of boiling water and cook your samples before tasting for a more accurate idea of the final flavours.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Graveyard Quest
Part 5.9

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Tasting a small quantity of raw beef is not as bad for you as having a big steak tartar and anyway you can keep a small pan of boiling water and cook your samples before tasting for a more accurate idea of the final flavours.

hmm, noted.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

World Famous W posted:

Graveyard Quest
Part 5.9

Mole guy...
:ohdear:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
IM DIVING THROUGH A WINDOW AND ACCELERATING DIRECTLY TOWARDS THE GROUND HERES HELL WAS FULL

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kit Walker posted:

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Sus
REMEMBER THIS

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Good dog

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

These narts seem good to me

Thanks for sharing them, the stories are refreshingly different from what I'm used to as far as fables and such go

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Since June 14th, we've done 69 comics (nice,) that's 1 comic every 1.4 days. Happy 69th (nice) anniversary everyone!

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Let us not forget the Triangle Factory Fire

Apocalypse and Food, Escalade and Disaster.

Parents Korner: The AAP no longer recommends Wonder Bread bags with 6' extension cord fasteners as a safe and effective diapering solution.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that is an insane amount of work, especially given ow detailed some of those pages were!! nice job

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nice!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This broke me.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Boba I've been messing around with a Wacom that came with clip studio pro is there anyone out there with a tutorial video you recommend? I've watched a few and they were not very helpful. (Just for basic drawing stuff I'm a total beginner)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This broke me.

it says it's 11:E2, Japanese reads right-to-left

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tunicate posted:

it says it's 11:E2, Japanese reads right-to-left

It's 11:32 upside down; you can see because the "CASIO" is also upside down

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Fair enough, sorry for mixing you up with the other guy!

Well it seems obvious when you put it that way. Funny though, I don't remember any verification office jokes about that. I'm sure I'll run back into it eventually.

In this update, we return to the poor (literally and figuratively) mages Pakiri the Freezing and Yasmidia Red-Claws. When last we saw these two, they had fallen in with the crime syndicate Team Spelt, just before it was eradicated by the Legal Army. It seems that they have managed to escape the city, but where are they going now?

Episode 14: Order, Chaos and Reemployment

Aw, they're holding hands. I never noticed that before.

Oh Pakiri, you juicy idiot sweet fool.

In this update, the mages gain the sympathy of the dark side of society.

...And instantly lose it. That bit with the wizard barrel is making me think, though. We keep seeing city officials and other powerful figures wearing full face veils or helmets. The obvious reason why Yamada chose to do this is to dehumanise these characters and make them mere avatars of the state and society's power, but I'm pretty sure it's not a historical practice. I wonder where he got the idea from? It really seems to work, I think.

Poor Pakiri.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Sep 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

e-dt posted:

Parents Korner: The AAP no longer recommends Wonder Bread bags with 6' extension cord fasteners as a safe and effective diapering solution.

That explains so much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hempuli posted:

This update really had it all :allears:

I love anarchist hotel worker.

I also love Central Asian food manga (as a sheer coincidence I also like Dungeon Meshi, which is a piss-take of that kind of food manga).

I also love the myths of the Narts.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That explains so much.

Roast Beef comes from Circumstances.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Boba I've been messing around with a Wacom that came with clip studio pro is there anyone out there with a tutorial video you recommend? I've watched a few and they were not very helpful. (Just for basic drawing stuff I'm a total beginner)

It's better to just pick the default brush (It's what I've been using lol,) and start drawing, and not worry about theory at all. Like I started by photobashing and tracing, or picking the 3D models and drawing clothes on them, then when I got frustrated I went and did something structured.

https://drawabox.com/

This has audio stuff, visual stuff, video stuff, and even text. It's a full course, it's completely free, and I saw huge improvements as I finished every lesson. It starts very simple, drawing straight lines, and then moves up from there. That straight line excercise is a great way to figure out what you want your stabilizer setting on your pen to be in CSP.

You really don't need to use a pen and paper like they say, as long as you're doing the excercise in a way you're comfortable with, and the end results are the best you can do.

A fun excercise that I still do today, is drawing a cylinder or bags of rice emoting. No face or anything, you just squash it in a way that shows a specific feeling or emotion.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks! I'll check it out later today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
while we're still in tutorial mode I would like to ask if there's any good stuff out there for people learning to write comics in a way that conveys as best as possible what the comic layout should look like to its illustrators?

the only stuff I can bring to mind is the Harvey Pekar movie "American Splendor" and the script by Neil Gaiman printed in one of the earlier Sandman collections

BasicLich has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Sep 16, 2022