Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the only Persona i've played is 4G and while it rocked, a combination of factors (playing too much too quickly, getting overwhelmed by/not really getting Persona summoning and fusing and feeling like i'm handicapping myself as a result, never having a good handle on boss fights) led to me burning out late into Rise's dungeon. might pick up P5R for the hell of it since even if it's nowhere as good, it might spur me to pick up P4G where i left off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

mbt posted:

ive never played 4 or 5 but 2:is and 3 made me to go sleep depressed after i beat them.

P:2 duology is far and away my favourite because of the tone, story and the diorama visuals. The battles are excruciatingly slow so if you are playing on an emulator I recommend hot key that fast forward button.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

the only Persona i've played is 4G and while it rocked, a combination of factors (playing too much too quickly, getting overwhelmed by/not really getting Persona summoning and fusing and feeling like i'm handicapping myself as a result, never having a good handle on boss fights) led to me burning out late into Rise's dungeon. might pick up P5R for the hell of it since even if it's nowhere as good, it might spur me to pick up P4G where i left off

You basically just want to keep your demons leveled up to match the monsters in the dungeon you're in. Sometimes it's worth keeping a lower leveled demon around for a specific spell, but more often than not you're better off fusing them off. It's like the opposite of pokemon. Keep a variety of strengths/weaknesses and spell types, and you'll be golden

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
P3 is my personal favorite, played it the most. Played Nocturne after that and couldn't believe how good it was. P4 is godlike and P5 is just alright lol. Compared to P3 and P4, it's just not that good. That being said I really love the look and aesthetic.

However, any time SMT or Persona is brought up, I have to post this. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjBNU4Z0gdE

The Nocturne version of this track is insane but the SMT 1 version holds a special place in my heart.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
5r's extra stuff is worth it even if you have to wait until the end of a stupid long game to get to most of it, it's a lot better written than almost anything in the base game and made me look forward to whatevers next

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

One of the prevailing fan theories online is that Joker and Goro were gay for each other which I lolled at. Then I started thinking that probably would've worked in a weird way. ANything would be better than what we got
Thought this post was about Mortal Kombat vs. DC

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I just really liked that 3 had a coherent theme that it ran with, confronting death, and I felt like Persona 5 sort of toyed with having a theme that the adults can't be trusted and are turning everything to poo poo but kinda backed off it at the end

I felt like the Sun social link (the dying kid) in 3 is maybe my favorite of any of them, and I really like the ending, like when the ending music hits when you're on the roof and it fades out, great moments in gaming for me. The MMO Social Link was really good too.

But I definitely admit that a lot of that could have been heightened by it being my first one and I also admit uhh the plot stuff with the ghost hunting group faculty advisor was really stupid, the way his little plot arc goes. I also admit that they had to release like 3 versions of the game before the actual dungeon gameplay/combat/fusion stopped being fully enraging

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 16, 2022

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
3 was the first one i played and its my favorite so perhaps the theory holds. i just like the gloomier vibe too much even thoygh p4 has better characters. 5's good too the thing is theyre all good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
5 is cool while youre playing it but then you try to think back to any of it and theres a empty gap in your brain

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like the lifesim/time management stuff so really i enjoy all of them lol, it's like yakuza where I just like hanging out in it

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s pretty good but it’s got a really weird structure that doesn’t mesh with the musou gameplay well, like you’re running around dungeons like in P5 but when you attack an enemy they explode into a thousand of them and then it becomes a brief musou battle

i thought it was better than base p5 lol. not the expansion/rerelease version but i enjoyed it a lot more than I expected

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

5 is cool while youre playing it but then you try to think back to any of it and theres a empty gap in your brain

yeah lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just really liked that 3 had a coherent theme that it ran with, confronting death, and I felt like Persona 5 sort of toyed with having a theme that the adults can't be trusted and are turning everything to poo poo but kinda backed off it at the end

I felt like the Sun social link (the dying kid) in 3 is maybe my favorite of any of them, and I really like the ending, like when the ending music hits when you're on the roof and it fades out, great moments in gaming for me. The MMO Social Link was really good too.

But I definitely admit that a lot of that could have been heightened by it being my first one and I also admit uhh the plot stuff with the ghost hunting group faculty advisor was really stupid, the way his little plot arc goes. I also admit that they had to release like 3 versions of the game before the actual dungeon gameplay/combat/fusion stopped being fully enraging

3's narrative/thematic peaks are really good and the ending is one of my favorites in gaming, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

It was my first Persona and I literally played it for 12 hours a day a couple times but yeah lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Lol yeah. I mainlined it for like 10 straight days when it came out and then I went on a weekend trip with some friends and couldn't stomach one more second of it after taking a 3 day break lol. It also coincided with the stupidest scene of all time where a character accidentally kills their own dad and they just kinda shrug and go to Disney world

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

all style no substance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's my fave music in the series though. And it's got drat fine menus

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Lol yeah. I mainlined it for like 10 straight days when it came out and then I went on a weekend trip with some friends and couldn't stomach one more second of it after taking a 3 day break lol. It also coincided with the stupidest scene of all time where a character accidentally kills their own dad and they just kinda shrug and go to Disney world

lmfaop

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

it made more sense once i played the persona dancing games and saw how they wanted to fit all the characters from all 3 games into super broad character traits and catchphrases for easy marketing

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

it's my fave music in the series though. And it's got drat fine menus

I don't think there's a single bad soundtrack in the entire SMT series

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

yeah, force awakens-rear end rpg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You basically just want to keep your demons leveled up to match the monsters in the dungeon you're in. Sometimes it's worth keeping a lower leveled demon around for a specific spell, but more often than not you're better off fusing them off. It's like the opposite of pokemon. Keep a variety of strengths/weaknesses and spell types, and you'll be golden

gotcha. i think that's what i wanted to do but whenever i went to the fusing menu and started scrolling through the options and different combos and comparing fused Persona spells, my brain would start making a dial-up noise. that and i think my bad habit of hoarding items and potions and w/e in RPGs ended up translating to keeping more Personas than i needed. i'll try to be more liberal in fusing them when i get back to the game tho, i really wanna see it through until the end since it really does own bones

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the first 20 hours of 5 are insanely fuckin cool and then nothin else even comes close. game's good but not great and 3-4 are great. atlus lost some serious writing talent right around then I think and theyre still clawing back but hopefully persona 6/smt 6 are cool

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
4G is insanely good, 3/FES is also really good but the first time I beat it I never got the social stats or whatever needed high enough to unlock mitsuru's s-link and it made me qq a lot

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

gotcha. i think that's what i wanted to do but whenever i went to the fusing menu and started scrolling through the options and different combos and comparing fused Persona spells, my brain would start making a dial-up noise. that and i think my bad habit of hoarding items and potions and w/e in RPGs ended up translating to keeping more Personas than i needed. i'll try to be more liberal in fusing them when i get back to the game tho, i really wanna see it through until the end since it really does own bones

It's actually way more important to keep your demon lvls up in the persona games since they are literally your stats. In other games you lvl all of the MCs stats, but in persona when you lvl up you only get more HP/MP. So if you swap to a lvl8 guy vs a lvl20 mob, chances are you're gonna get owned even with advantageous spells

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

P5 was way too drat long. It’s the only game that I felt like I finished out of spite. Even before the end of the base game I was done and then the royal dlc was hanging out the back end of it. I was yelling at my tv for the last dlc boss to just stfu and die. Can’t even remember his motivations or anything.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's actually way more important to keep your demon lvls up in the persona games since they are literally your stats. In other games you lvl all of the MCs stats, but in persona when you lvl up you only get more HP/MP. So if you swap to a lvl8 guy vs a lvl20 mob, chances are you're gonna get owned even with advantageous spells

yeah that's something i had to really get used to when i first started playing. i relaunched my game just now to compare my current levels to a guide i found and i'm right before Shadow Rise and severely underleveled. the guide recommends lvl 33-38 before tackling her and everyone is between like 24-30 and while i'm personally lvl 27, the highest level Persona i currently have is only 23. definitely gonna have to fuse my brains out before grinding a bit. gracias :cheerdoge:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

yeah that's something i had to really get used to when i first started playing. i relaunched my game just now to compare my current levels to a guide i found and i'm right before Shadow Rise and severely underleveled. the guide recommends lvl 33-38 before tackling her and everyone is between like 24-30 and while i'm personally lvl 27, the highest level Persona i currently have is only 23. definitely gonna have to fuse my brains out before grinding a bit. gracias :cheerdoge:

godspeed, gamer. don't forget to register your demons before fusing so you can potentially pull them back out after fusion if they're that important

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 has one of the most fluid, snappy turn-based combat systems I've played so for all its many faults I think I have the most fun actually playing it of the Persona games. The story's a real mess in the base game, though. I like it a lot just because of the combat and style but it's got a lot of failings in the writing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was an infamous mess of a production which got rewritten more than once like it was supposed to be a globe-trotting adventure hence the bizarre bit in Hawaii

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

wow. i will always remember the heartwarming story of drawing my hikikomori sister out of her shell so she can experience all the joys of being groomed for sex by me, her adoptive big brother and leader of the Shadow Thieves.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

wow. i will always remember the heartwarming story of drawing my hikikomori sister out of her shell so she can experience all the joys of being groomed for sex by me, her adoptive big brother and leader of the Shadow Thieves.

lmfao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hour 1 Ann, clearly being groomed by a sex weirdo: I just want people to see me for who I am. I am a human being, with thoughts and feelings!

Hour 90 Ann, S.Link lvl8 event: Hey you made it! Will you oil up my rear end in a top hat for the Banana Splitz shoot? Thanks your such a good friend teehee!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lmao

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hour 1 Ann, clearly being groomed by a sex weirdo: I just want people to see me for who I am. I am a human being, with thoughts and feelings!

Hour 90 Ann, S.Link lvl8 event: Hey you made it! Will you oil up my rear end in a top hat for the Banana Splitz shoot? Thanks your such a good friend teehee!

Lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I knew something was up when I saw Ann's arcana was "Throat"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dude I'm pretty sure they send Ann in as a "distraction" (target) literally in the next chapter lol. To lure the painter guy party member out. He wants to paint her nude

Man, you know what? gently caress that game lmao

I used to always say "nah it's actually kinda good if you ignore 40 caveats"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Dude I'm pretty sure they send Ann in as a "distraction" (target) literally in the next chapter lol. To lure the painter guy party member out. He wants to paint her nude

Man, you know what? gently caress that game lmao

I used to always say "nah it's actually kinda good if you ignore 40 caveats"

they did, its super weird