Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eifert Posting posted:

I have to say being able to modify the aggression of predators is a great feature. I've never liked how in these games anything that could possibly want to take a shot at you always wants to take a shot at you 100% of the time.

On the flipside, I want to try super dangerous fauna, see how long I last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i did not find it scary at all but that's more because i love the deep ocean and i watch nautilus live and okeanos live all the time and really wish i could go on a submersible dive down to the abyssal plain. subnautica is a game i found relaxing, at least when it was not bugging the gently caress out on me (which it did, often).

I have a lot of scuba experience and it really brings me back into the headspace of a dive, particularly in the early game before you get a vehicle. Like, to the point that I get dry mouth and catch myself regulating my breathing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just played a playthrough, so not sure how long I'll stick with this custom run.

-Vegan
-25 min day, 5 min night (up from 15 min day)
-0.06 dangerous weather chance (down from 1)

Literally every time I went to the surface in my last playthrough, there was inclement weather and I couldn't see a drat thing. It was incredibly unfun.

None of the other custom options are particularly interesting to me. Increasing damage taken multipliers have never interested me as a concept.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 16, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i have legit thalassophobia and while subnautica has also legit helped with that, i still can't stand the underwater islands zone

going into the bit where the AI says "this biome meets five of the seven criteria to be a horror movie" was soothing because there are WALLS and GROUND

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Agh. I started playing this on Xbox game pass and ran into a save bug. It claimed to save and then I apparently lost 3 hours of gameplay. Any way to keep that from happening? I’ve got an m.2 ssd so it shouldn’t be taking forever to save or anything…

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a lot of scuba experience and it really brings me back into the headspace of a dive, particularly in the early game before you get a vehicle. Like, to the point that I get dry mouth and catch myself regulating my breathing.

Same, it’s been a substitute for me since I’ve barely been out in the last 2 years :unsmith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i have legit thalassophobia and while subnautica has also legit helped with that, i still can't stand the underwater islands zone

going into the bit where the AI says "this biome meets five of the seven criteria to be a horror movie" was soothing because there are WALLS and GROUND

Yeah, I think Lost River was meant to be the spookiest zone but nothing got my lizard brain screaming like my first visits to the mountains and upper blood kelp regions

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Western dunes man. Nowhere to hide, sightlines forever, and just enough time to hear&see the monster coming before it murderers you. Like being in a tank and spotting a wire guided bastard running in at you

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of glad it breaks your saves because I've been kind of jonesing to build a base again and I know I wouldn't bother if I could just load up my old save and pop on the module

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That was such a hosed up line

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

That was such a hosed up line

“Treat this place like your home, but never forget that it is not” is the one that stuck with me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I died laughing at the “records indicate your favourite activity is……swimming”

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
It's kinda funny how the pda varies between what seems like good advice to keep a person trying to live and occasionally letting out some heinous poo poo that would probably make anyone consider staying rather than get iced by guys mad you used diamonds to escape.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

thechosenone posted:

It's kinda funny how the pda varies between what seems like good advice to keep a person trying to live and occasionally letting out some heinous poo poo that would probably make anyone consider staying rather than get iced by guys mad you used diamonds to escape.

The writing of the juxtaposing between engineers doing their best to write something to save somebody's life even in dire straights versus the executive priorities of never losing even one credit was pretty great.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think if you scan one of the little spider bots Alterra commands you to incapacitate one for return for “mutual profit”.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Oh is that something so they can reverse engineer it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Treat this place like your home, but never forget that it is not” is the one that stuck with me.

See the funny thing is I think that line has a double meaning as "hey fucker you're an altera employee and you should be doing your job."

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Got back into this game after getting most of the way through it about 4 years back. My wife and I were going down a bit of a rabbit hole on Youtube, mostly about creatures designed by Dougal Dixon (I recall his art from Man After Man being popular on SA some years ago), and came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xBrxWzKzDQ

Wife didn't feel like watching a 70 minute video, but hot drat did that get me to want to play the game again. Last time I played was pretty far back in EA, so I've mostly known what I need to do, and have enjoyed the stuff that's been added since then. I've enjoyed seeing everyone in this thread lamenting that they missed the locker tablet in the Degasi base. I was able to find that one, but completely missed the tablet that's in one of the far corners of the Floating Island. Honestly it's kind of dumb to have that one tablet out by itself, when it's needed to advance the story (it's the one that gives you the ping for the first underwater Degasi base).

But anyway, I'm working on getting set up in the Lost River before I go in for the final stretch. And by that I mean the game is nicely bookended by spending a lot of time foraging for titanium. I'm about to get a Scanner Room going down there, so my troubles should be almost over.

I got most of my initial scares and sense of wonder out the way when I played this game years ago, but it's been super satisfying to go back to it with the intent of finishing it. Still a bit buggy, but miles above what it was a few years back. One funny thing I had happen last night was right outside the Disease Research Facility. Was walking my prawn back to my base, and got hit by a Warper. Not a big deal, except I got ported back to the starting area, right by the initial Lifepod. I didn't do anything for a couple minutes, thinking this was a story event, and it would teleport me back. It didn't, but I was able to leverage this into a free supply trip down to the Lost River base.

I take it what happened was I got teleported vertically, into the ground above the Lost River, and then clipped all the way back up (I'm guessing the Lost River Junction is right below the Safe Shallows).

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Welcome aboard, "Captain" has always been my favorite line in the game. It's delivered so perfectly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seatruck was never as home-y as the cyclops. Especially if you did get all the stupid parts

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Seatruck was never as home-y as the cyclops. Especially if you did get all the stupid parts

The seatruck was in a weird spot, between the seamoth and cyclops, but not really being better than either.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Cyclops beats all vehicles based on the voice alone.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Seatruck was an interesting idea but didn't work on such a small and shallow map.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I liked the Seatruck a lot better this time around as opposed to my launch playthrough. Just did both games back to back.

The cyclops was a bit much. Seatruck is everything the cyclops is but smaller, zippier, and can be altered on the fly if I want to be EVEN ZIPPIER.

Original game has SO many empty long drives you need the speed of a Seamoth for, which caused its own pop-in issues. BZ is a lot better about having more interesting terrain and not having bad pop-in.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I found BZ's terrain for less interesting than vanilla's, not sure exactly why but it just didn't capture me the way the original did

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will take the seatruck over the cyclops any day.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Oasx posted:

I will take the seatruck over the cyclops any day.

Yeah, I like that the sea truck does what the cyclops does without totally shattering the survival aspect of the game by being completely indestructible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, I like that the sea truck does what the cyclops does without totally shattering the survival aspect of the game by being completely indestructible.

i had far, far more close calls in the cyclops than i ever did in the sea truck. sea truck can just run the hell away and even if you get caught, nothing in bz does more than like 30 points of damage per attack. cyclops is a big slow easy target, just turning tail and running is not a great option and if you get noticed by anything big, it is extremely tense. i had my cyclops on fire more than once, sea truck i don't think i ever fell below half health.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I never died even once with the sea truck. I don't know if I was just more skilled by the time I picked up BZ, or if the enemies were just a ton weaker.

Probably more of the later, but quite a bit of the former.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always preferred my punchy boy just hopping along the seabed giving everyone who looked at me wrong a quick bop on the nose.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sunday Morning posted:

I always preferred my punchy boy just hopping along the seabed giving everyone who looked at me wrong a quick bop on the nose.

I think the reapers are valid attachment points for the grapple arm :getin:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been having an extremely cursed playthrough in terms of bugs. Most recently the locker with all of my tools and water and food in it disappeared spontaneously.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I never died even once with the sea truck. I don't know if I was just more skilled by the time I picked up BZ, or if the enemies were just a ton weaker.

Probably more of the later, but quite a bit of the former.

Once you get the shock upgrade nothing can threaten you. Even with the giant worm leviathans in the final areas you just zap them off instantly and they do about 5 damage and run away.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's such a weird idea for the game to point you towards building a giant sub and then tells you to go into some fairly narrow caves. I guess I can imagine properly modeling an abyssal plane would be harder on the system, but I just don't know. It's much more reasonable to give you something small to go into a small area.

My most harrowing moments with the Cyclops were getting it wedged or doing a dive only to find a ghost leviathan beneath me. It's a cool idea for it to get riddled with holes and then having to crawl about in the dark to repair them, but I'm not sure what'd get you into that position. I've actually died a couple times in the seatruck because the nightmare leviathan can mess you up and the exit point to that zone for me was right in the feeding grounds of a shrimp leviathan. I ended up using an exploit to get past the nightmare leviathan. There's also the mines, which Beyond Zero tries to get you to go explore a big spooky area without a sub at all, but I managed to squeeze it in a hole.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Omnicarus posted:

I found BZ's terrain for less interesting than vanilla's, not sure exactly why but it just didn't capture me the way the original did

Same. I really don't know why though. I just don't get the same urge to wander around and look for poo poo in BZ for whatever reason. I really should actually finish it some time..

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

zeldadude posted:

Same. I really don't know why though. I just don't get the same urge to wander around and look for poo poo in BZ for whatever reason. I really should actually finish it some time..

I think a lot of it for me is that they went all in on having big overworld sections that ended up sucking. The centerpiece of the game and the stuff you see in all the promotional materials was the iceworm area and it sucked. Once you get across it, get the thing scanned, and get back there’s no need to revisit. The worms are more annoying than a threat. The snowfox sucks too. It’s way too fragile and glitchy. They needed to gate the prawn from going in there, fix the snowfox, and fix the worms. Outracing the worms on a snowfox could’ve been the highlight of the game. I just think the whole area/concept was rushed.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 22, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think Below Zero was just screwed inherently because it was the second game. A lot of Subnautica was the novelty of everything.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

I think Below Zero was just screwed inherently because it was the second game. A lot of Subnautica was the novelty of everything.

I strongly disagree. Below Zero came in with a lot of upgrades to play and UI that set it on a much stronger position to be successful - the novelty of Subnautica was often counterbalanced by the sheer terrible technical problems with pop-in, bugs, falling through walls, etc.

But Subnautica just did a much much better job with writing and with atmosphere. The messages received and independent logs did a great job of both adding to the overall feelings of isolation and danger, while also painting a great picture of the corporate dystopian world. The pacing and plotting was also very well done, with good markers in the radio messages encouraging you to explore in the right places, and with enough shards littered around that it was generally easy to find what you needed. And the central early game plot marker - going to the 'rendezvous point' and everything that was revealed and fell apart from there - was just incredibly well set up in gradual and escalating reveals with a timer countdown, it's one of the best pieces of plotted gameplay in a open roaming free world game I've seen.

Conversely, BZ did not have much of any of that going on for it. The plots were neither compelling nor well woven into the game or the exploration, and there was no part of the plot unfolding that felt like exploring and gaining understanding and clueing in pieces of a bigger puzzle - you learned very early everything that was going on, and then it was figuring out what the checkboxes were that you needed to check in order to finish the game. The puzzles were either small - 'here's a map, use it to figure out where things are' - 'here's another map with things circled on it, what could that mean' - 'here's a single radio point telling you where someone disappeared, better look around' - or giant empty things, like AL-AN telling you "I feel that something here is important" when you enter a location and then never giving you any other information at all about where you should go, or even what you were looking for, making it easy to think that finding the bonus alien artifacts was actually what he was talking about. The scannable pieces for things were grouped poorly or purposely hidden, making playing the game frustrating as well: despite nearly 40 hours of play time, I never completed any module for the truck other than the aquarium module, all the rest of them being at 2/3 or 3/4 scanned. Meanwhile, I found about twelve billion thermal plant pieces.

Overall, BZ felt far less designed and far less thought about than the original, much more like "well, the original had this, so I guess we should have it, but don't think too hard about it, throw a bunch of it in" with no real planning, and no real thinking through what the player experience would be or even should be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Below Zero felt like the Hellfire expansion to Diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Did they ever give any details about why they decided to change almost everything about the BZ storyline from how it was initially planned and presented in the first EA release?