Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Aside from dupe bonuses, I usually just make 2 or 3 schedules offset by one block so they aren't all queuing for the bathroom at the same time. Also if you need plastic, Dreckos are superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Panty Saluter posted:

Aside from dupe bonuses, I usually just make 2 or 3 schedules offset by one block so they aren't all queuing for the bathroom at the same time. Also if you need plastic, Dreckos are superior

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. That would actually definitely explain why all the plastic stuff is so early in the tree.

I think I need to start arranging some hydrogen-filled stables. Getting the non-oxygen atmosphere rooms arranged is a real adventure.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Panty Saluter posted:

Also if you need plastic, Dreckos are superior

Yup, once you go dreckos you never go back, one normal ranch and then a starvation ranch where they just get sheared until they die and you're set for plastic forever. Basically free too, other than a small workforce and dirt for the mealwood.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Redeye Flight posted:

I think I need to start arranging some hydrogen-filled stables. Getting the non-oxygen atmosphere rooms arranged is a real adventure.

Francis john has a good drecko ranching set-up in his very hard playthrough, I would suggest just sifting through that series and finding that. Rooms can be filled with hydrogen fairly easily, as you can just use an electrolyzer and let it float up.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
In my current play through I just set up my end-game apartment complex for dupes, now I'm going through my whole base ripping out inefficiencies or rooms that just don't need to get used any more while a few new drone dupes spend their days running on treadmills.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

floppyspud posted:

Francis john has a good drecko ranching set-up in his very hard playthrough, I would suggest just sifting through that series and finding that. Rooms can be filled with hydrogen fairly easily, as you can just use an electrolyzer and let it float up.

My personal approach is to fill a room 3/4 full of hydrogen, and then put an oxygen vent on the floor with an airflow or mesh tile so CO2 can escape. Once it's balanced you never need to think about it again. Unless your oxygen production balls up and dies on you.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Here's what mine looks like, a few mealwood and 4+ dreckos in the main ranch and 4 unpowered incubators in the hydrogen filled starvation room. They should get 2 full shears before they die in there, and I'm currently sitting on over 200 tonnes of plastic. The floatiness of Hydrogen and the 2k pressure limit on the vent basically means I have set this up early and it has stayed hydrogen filled without noticeable leaking for 1000 cycles now. I do need to run my cooling loop down here as the mealwood is starting to stifle (largely due to dreckos being born at over 40 degrees)
Oil in normal worlds is at the very bottom of the map, just above the core.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of temp control, I rolled a Pip ranch before I realized I was on Rime and ambient temp was like....-10-ish. There were several iterations of heating applied. I have used the rock crusher in the past to good effect but it was not nearly enough. It would get to 0 when in use but fall back to ambient super quick. The room was insulated at the time but it didn't help.

Next was a refinery connected to the radiating loop you see below, and that worked quite well, until it overheated. That's when the insulation came off. A pipe thermo sensor connected to the refinery helped keep the temp capped for a time. Then I started needing more refined metal, and the tiny amount of available time on the refinery was not going to cut it.

So we have current version: a room full of regular clean water and a tepidizer. pretty much all of the pipes are nice, cheap radiant lead (except for the bridge to the Drecko ranch on the right). A thermo sensor caps the water temp at 25 so the tepidizer only runs about 1% of the time. Otherwise the loop runs from the reservoir for totally passive heat distribution. Gonna bank this for future farms and ranches.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I do the same kind of thing but use it for reed fiber farm, which is especially useful on Rime:

Combined with a memory toggle, it turns on the tepidizer at 26, heats til 32, then shuts off. No dupe interaction required!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
How long does it take for the reed fibers to drop? it's always seemed kind of random if dupes arent harvesting them

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I don't think I've ever used the tepidizer except to melt the poo poo out of cold biomes, but I have a cold slush geyser that's too cold and its a far off asteroid, so instead of the complicated & fragile plan I was thinking, yeah, a tepidizer in a tank would be quick and easy :)

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Panty Saluter posted:

How long does it take for the reed fibers to drop? it's always seemed kind of random if dupes arent harvesting them

3-4 cycles I think? Certainly takes longer, but worth it for me considering I never have to look at it again, and don't have to waste dupe labor. On cycle 585 I've got over 600 reed fiber stored, and have been throwing down paintings wherever I please.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/143169-game-update-public-testing-522820/

New update incoming!

A few brand spanking new things, but I'm most excited for Plug Slugs not being useless.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
plug slugs are not useless now :colbert:

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

1 day after I get the DLC, infinite content for me I guess.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

Also if you need plastic, Dreckos are superior

Eh, sort of? If you build a petroleum boiler, the polymer press will provide a fully automated setup that puts out a huge volume of plastic. Dreckos are resource efficient, but I honestly hate ranching dreckos. If I have the option I'll always opt for the press.

Contrast that balance with beeta hives and the uranium centrifuge - the centrifuge is just terrible and should only be used if you have no other option. The polymer press is in a much better place I feel.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Smiling Demon posted:

Eh, sort of? If you build a petroleum boiler, the polymer press will provide a fully automated setup that puts out a huge volume of plastic. Dreckos are resource efficient, but I honestly hate ranching dreckos. If I have the option I'll always opt for the press.

Contrast that balance with beeta hives and the uranium centrifuge - the centrifuge is just terrible and should only be used if you have no other option. The polymer press is in a much better place I feel.

I'm in camp polymer press as well. I pretty much always find myself shorter on dupe time than resources or energy, and I hate how much you have to deal with pathfinding to make good drecko farms. I'm setting up a plastic steam chamber fed by a diamond heat spike petroleum boiler, fed in turn by a salt water geyser. Requires only occasional dupe time to honk the oil wells.

It's my first heat spike petroleum boiler as well, was a very long process to build the thing. Diamond heat spike pulling from magma, automation controlled by liquid element sensors, 3-level counterflow heat exchanger. Crude comes in at about 30C and goes out at about 80C. The tricky part was startup; I had to add a ton of thermal mass in the form of diamond tempshift plates to keep it from flashing directly over to sour gas due to flaking when the temperature hit a certain point. I stockpiled like 60 tons of oil in tanks and at least as much in a pit in the biome, should make enough plastic to build at least one full transit network for each of the two starter asteroids, along with niceties like plastic ladders.

In the past, I've done refinery-powered boilers, and this is such luxury compared to setting one of those up. The pipes would always clog when there wasn't a pending job.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dreckos also supply barbecue, reed fibre, and a sustainable source of phosphorite.

I've been messing with using AI mods, and currently have the following:
Efficient Supply
No Drop
Wounded Go To Med Bed
AI Improvements
Rational Priority
Together they seem to make the dupes behave fairly sensibly. The priorities become scaling weights and distance is factored in so you can move a dupe closer to stuff you need doing and they get the hint.

Edit: Trying 'True Tiles'.. not entirely convinced.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 15, 2022

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm in camp polymer press as well. I pretty much always find myself shorter on dupe time than resources or energy, and I hate how much you have to deal with pathfinding to make good drecko farms. I'm setting up a plastic steam chamber fed by a diamond heat spike petroleum boiler, fed in turn by a salt water geyser. Requires only occasional dupe time to honk the oil wells.

It's my first heat spike petroleum boiler as well, was a very long process to build the thing. Diamond heat spike pulling from magma, automation controlled by liquid element sensors, 3-level counterflow heat exchanger. Crude comes in at about 30C and goes out at about 80C. The tricky part was startup; I had to add a ton of thermal mass in the form of diamond tempshift plates to keep it from flashing directly over to sour gas due to flaking when the temperature hit a certain point. I stockpiled like 60 tons of oil in tanks and at least as much in a pit in the biome, should make enough plastic to build at least one full transit network for each of the two starter asteroids, along with niceties like plastic ladders.

In the past, I've done refinery-powered boilers, and this is such luxury compared to setting one of those up. The pipes would always clog when there wasn't a pending job.

Hah, and here I am feeling super cool because I set up baby's first automated chlorine room for processing the septic tank.

Since using the Liquid Storage Tank's automation signal wouldn't do anything, I just tossed an "is pipe containing fluid" sensor on the inbound from the bathroom to make sure that the outlet would open to keep the bathroom drains from backing up. The rest of the time, the septic tank keeps the LST in the chlorine room topped up and the food poisoning dying. Working wonders so far, we've gone from like 3 million plus germs per square in the main tank to about 50,000. Based on my understanding of how they work, the "is fluid in pipe containing germs" sensor seems profoundly low-use-case, especially since any fluid at an intake point would spread germs to other types.

Also I found a crude geyser AND a hydrogen geyser, which is amazing, but is also forcing me to scramble my rear end off to try and make adequate use of either. I have them blocked in at least to keep poo poo from dribbling everywhere though. Also the cool slush geyser which is, hey, that's water, and it's helping a bit with the temperature while I try to find a cold biome on this seed.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 15, 2022

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dreckos are actually super good because you can feed them forever for entirely free on balm Lilly's if you put them in a chlorine environment then starvation ranch the eggs so you get like 4 reed fibre and 4000g BBQ per egg laid, for free. All you need to do is set up a system to skim a couple of eggs to replenish the ranch and you're good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

plug slugs are not useless now :colbert:

How's life without metal ore?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh jay posted:

How's life without metal ore?

i like it just fine. bound to be a volcano or two around here

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

i like it just fine. bound to be a volcano or two around here

That'll get you refined metal. If you want aluminum ore, get ready to fire up those rockets.

This is exactly why letting Plug Slugs eat refined metal is good and cool.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just let them free range. Ranching is pretty unnecessary due to the metal consumption and the excess hydrogen that's a pain in the nuts to wrangle. Also I don't fuss with them much after the early game

edit: you get ore from space too, if you're on the base game

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK so I have too many Pips and one had to be murdered. It was a cuddle pip, and it hugged a dupe as it was being murdered and then it died and turned into meat and i am walking into the woods and never coming back goodbye

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Panty Saluter posted:

OK so I have too many Pips and one had to be murdered. It was a cuddle pip, and it hugged a dupe as it was being murdered and then it died and turned into meat and i am walking into the woods and never coming back goodbye

The more you play, the more you expose the horrific things hidden under the cute art. This is only the beginning.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
idk man, 2300 hours in and this takes the cake so far

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

2300 and haven't seen anything messed up? Clearly, you haven't been playing right.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I didn't say i hadn't seen anything messed up, I just said that was the top :v:

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Gotta play more sandbox, crazy genocidal physics simulator is like a bonus on top of the normal game.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Eh, I'm a big soft baby nerd and don't really get much out of that. Pretty much all of my ranching is free range because I can't even stomach murdering video game animals if I don't have to. :kiddo:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Playing ONI as an incredibly CPU intensive falling sand simulator is clearly the best option.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Eh, I'm a big soft baby nerd and don't really get much out of that. Pretty much all of my ranching is free range because I can't even stomach murdering video game animals if I don't have to. :kiddo:

Same, the meat farming strategies to me are just like, yeesh. I'll just make omelettes and when the barbecue happens, it happens.

I may get frustrated at these little idiots I'm bossing around but ultimately, if I'm not trying to make their life better on the way to whatever we're doing then what's goin' on here.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

Same, the meat farming strategies to me are just like, yeesh. I'll just make omelettes and when the barbecue happens, it happens.

I may get frustrated at these little idiots I'm bossing around but ultimately, if I'm not trying to make their life better on the way to whatever we're doing then what's goin' on here.

Same. The grooming animation is so drat cute, and the only automated harvest option is to drown them (or feed them to poke shells?) and I want none of that!

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Don't you get like 2x the calories from barbecue rather than omelettes? Pulled that number out my arse, but I would think it was worth it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
1000kcal of egg becomes 2400 kcal of omelette. 3200kcal of meat becomes 4000 kcal barbeque. Omelettes are better at providing calories but barbeque has a higher quality bonus

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

Same. The grooming animation is so drat cute, and the only automated harvest option is to drown them (or feed them to poke shells?) and I want none of that!

If you're not concerned about efficiency, how about a radbolt gun? Boil alive? :chef:

My dupes are vegetarian too, for the same reason.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Panty Saluter posted:

1000kcal of egg becomes 2400 kcal of omelette. 3200kcal of meat becomes 4000 kcal barbeque. Omelettes are better at providing calories but barbeque has a higher quality bonus

Huh, I didn't think omelettes would be more. How often to tamed critters lay eggs again? Was it like 6 cycles?

I guess barbecue also requires less duplicant interaction, since they would have to crack the egg. (Auto egg crackers when?)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you can auto crack them by storing them in a bin. I keep eggs in a bin so while they wait for the incubator and the excess becomes unviable and cracks itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

quote:

Critters now queue for ranching while another one is being groomed.

If this means what I think it means, I'm hyped. Nothing more annoying than having to resummon a new critter to groom again.