Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AHH F/UGH posted:

That's not fair, considering how 100% of Brits in Japan are verifiable weirdos

eg chris broad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Grand Fromage posted:

Rumor is all the remaining restrictions are going away in October (and these newspaper rumors have usually been correct) so no reason to rush into all the visa and itinerary stuff anyway.

Interesting development. We just finished booking our hotels today to make sure we could get our tour stamp. I guess we’ll hold off on that for a few weeks and pull the trigger in mid-October if that’s still a requirement.

We’re flying out on 12/20 and returning 1/1, so we don’t have a huge amount of time.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Omerta posted:

Interesting development. We just finished booking our hotels today to make sure we could get our tour stamp. I guess we’ll hold off on that for a few weeks and pull the trigger in mid-October if that’s still a requirement.

We’re flying out on 12/20 and returning 1/1, so we don’t have a huge amount of time.

Did you preorder your KFC??

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

eg chris broad

He does have that weirdass Blade Runner studio, which is probably telling of something weird in itself, but has he done some other weirdass poo poo too?

My favorite way to depict Japan: Hellish multicultural overpopulated crime-trashdump

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

They're gonna open up to perfectly coincide with my original dates just after I've moved the flights, aren't they

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Have you guys considered, y'know, just going somewhere else in the meantime and planning a trip to :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren: after everything has settled down, when you won't have to frantically rearrange or rebook or repurchase stuff every two weeks as the situation changes?

The country's been there for a few thousand years; it'll very likely be there for the next few years.

edit: I wonder if there are people in a Ukraine thread somewhere asking "does anyone know if the war will be over soon? I booked tickets for November and am wondering whether I should reschedule them for the NEw Year"

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Weatherman posted:

Have you guys considered, y'know, just going somewhere else in the meantime and planning a trip to :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren: after everything has settled down, when you won't have to frantically rearrange or rebook or repurchase stuff every two weeks as the situation changes?

The country's been there for a few thousand years; it'll very likely be there for the next few years.

edit: I wonder if there are people in a Ukraine thread somewhere asking "does anyone know if the war will be over soon? I booked tickets for November and am wondering whether I should reschedule them for the NEw Year"

Yeah I moved my flights to next year and were going to Thailand next month instead. I was honestly getting really stressed out about all of this, pretty dumb.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On the one hand, yes, other places are more open and they’ll take USD/GBP/EUR just as readily.

On the other, Japan has lagged behind other countries it would consider peers in terms of allowing any entrance, and then the steps back towards “normal.”

It’s only ‘being cautious’ if you believe that foreign tourists can’t follow the rules that locals (should) know and follow, because almost everything is thrown wide open for residents already - just wear a mask, and at sporting events/concerts/theater, don’t shout. If everything was similar to China now and there were still hard lockdowns, that’s one thing, but it’s not the case here. So why keep foreign tourists out?

[Edit] also even if it’s a small thing that’s easy to take care of, it’s still nice if I have family visiting and don’t have to help them get a visa they’d be entitled to. It’s not just about sweaty goons getting back to ramen and Akihabara, I have a child who hasn’t met a grandparent and I haven’t seen that parent in almost three loving years.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 12, 2022

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Based on the small increase of non-locals I've observed recently, the tourists will not be masking.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

It’s only ‘being cautious’ if you believe that foreign tourists can’t follow the rules that locals (should) know and follow, because almost everything is thrown wide open for residents already - just wear a mask, and at sporting events/concerts/theater, don’t shout. If everything was similar to China now and there were still hard lockdowns, that’s one thing, but it’s not the case here. So why keep foreign tourists out?

They definitely will not follow the rules.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

They definitely will not follow the rules.

Maybe, maybe not, but that’s not the point. It’s more insider-outsider logic from the Japanese government, and it’s not great.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

Maybe, maybe not, but that’s not the point. It’s more insider-outsider logic from the Japanese government, and it’s not great.

You are telling me the Japanese government is being xenophobic?

I think I need to sit down.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Weatherman posted:

after everything has settled down
Lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

I have a child who hasn’t met a grandparent and I haven’t seen that parent in almost three loving years.

At this point this is completely on you. Sorry.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

honestly, it's been pretty great not having my parents visiting. sadly that ends in november :smith:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Gabriel Grub posted:

At this point this is completely on you. Sorry.
wot

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Except for a few months in 2020, residents have been free to travel if willing to jump through some hoops.

And for a few months now family have been able to come in with a visit to a consulate and some paperwork.

If that is all too much, then maybe it's not that important to them after all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

Except for a few months in 2020, residents have been free to travel if willing to jump through some hoops.

And for a few months now family have been able to come in with a visit to a consulate and some paperwork.

If that is all too much, then maybe it's not that important to them after all.

Yeah you're right that's really the only reason somebody might have chosen to avoid airports and crowds since early 2020.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Midjack posted:

Yeah you're right that's really the only reason somebody might have chosen to avoid airports and crowds since early 2020.

The issue at hand is that this poster feels entitled to a visa waiver for his family, and is blaming not seeing his parents on lack of such.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
And can your parents not come visit you?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thread has taken quite the turn towards the reddit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

The issue at hand is that this poster feels entitled to a visa waiver for his family, and is blaming not seeing his parents on lack of such.

I didn’t say that. I said it would make things easier, and I know the visa process for family of residents ain’t exactly super difficult. Just that not having an extra couple trips to a consulate would be a nice-to-have.

I think you’re downplaying both the unsure nature of all of 2020 and the impact of quarantine. I considered trying to go get a vaccine when Japan’s status was :shrug: in spring 2021, but between being in the States long enough to get two shots and then quarantining, it just wouldn’t have worked to take that time off of work. And since 2021, there’s been other life things at play (pregnancy and an infant, good luck leaving a partner behind to deal with either of those alone).

I’m lucky, and I know “I can’t go see family” isn’t the biggest hardship to come from the pandemic by any stretch, but it does suck.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Fair enough. I had to go back in early 2021, and would not have done that if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

I had to do another trip early this year and it was much less of an ordeal.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Grand Fromage posted:

The shinkansen goes from downtown to downtown in two hours. There's a train every ten minutes so you don't need to give a moment's thought to scheduling. There's no waiting in lines, no security bullshit, no bag restrictions, all the leg room you could ever need, you just waltz on with your ekiben and a sack full of Strong Zero and chill out. If you fly that short a distance you're a chump deserving of scorn and mockery.

I actually ended up going to Wakkanai and Rishiri so I will definitely be flying down to Kyoto (Osaka-Itami to be precise) in the coming days. Tokyo was just too hot and muggy.

I think your preference for the train makes complete sense, but domestic Japanese airports/flights are also super efficient and stress-free.

I also have airline status so they have private entrances/security and the lounges will have beer, no need for chuhais! That usually tilts me towards flying, so long as the airports are not far away (I would not be doing it from Narita).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stringent posted:

every time i read one of these i giggle to myself at the thought of some corner of 2ch or something where japanese guys are raving about how mind blowing applebees or chili's or something like that was when they visited the US that one time.

Go Go Curry official owns:

https://twitter.com/EclecticHams/status/1569833128188940290?s=20&t=oFB3xMyb3JE1ukro_hG2cQ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s a Go Go Curry on the way to work and I really can’t go there every day for dinner and yet…and yet…

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If any of you weebs fly in or out of Narita I suggest you stop by Ned and Breakfast. I'm only 15 minutes by train from the airport and you get to experience some quality Japanese countryside.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just don't let him get ahold of his Nintendo DS

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So since we're talking about food: Last time I was at Kyoto station rushing to catch some train, I ran by some waffle shop that almost stopped me dead in my tracks. Literally the best smelling waffles (?) I've ever been tempted by. I'm not saying I'm going to plan a whole stop in Kyoto just to finally see whether they're as good as they smelled, but I'm also not NOT saying that.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

some kinda jackal posted:

So since we're talking about food: Last time I was at Kyoto station rushing to catch some train, I ran by some waffle shop that almost stopped me dead in my tracks. Literally the best smelling waffles (?) I've ever been tempted by. I'm not saying I'm going to plan a whole stop in Kyoto just to finally see whether they're as good as they smelled, but I'm also not NOT saying that.

Was it Manneken? The smell is memserizing though and they were quite tasty when I had them years ago, hopefully I'll be able to hit them up next year!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

If any of you weebs fly in or out of Narita I suggest you stop by Ned and Breakfast. I'm only 15 minutes by train from the airport and you get to experience some quality Japanese countryside.

I like the name, but Google Maps keeps changing it to bed and breakfast and showing me a bunch of hotels so I can't find it near Narita :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bofast posted:

I like the name, but Google Maps keeps changing it to bed and breakfast and showing me a bunch of hotels so I can't find it near Narita :(

Take a step back and reread his reply.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-set-to-announce-restart-of-visa-free-tourist-travel

Visa-free travel announcement coming in the next few days, apparently.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

Take a step back and reread his reply.

:negative:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I see the group tours are going well.

https://matomebu.com/train/rail20220916-1/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

That's... worse than usual, actually. What the gently caress.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Haha how sloshed were those guys

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bofast posted:

It means you can stay at my house. Or maybe not. The lady friend is mad at me because some friends are doing a photo shoot in my yard and there is nudity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Idiots. They have to step in front of a delivery truck if they wanna get isekai'd, stepping in front of a train just gets you GANTZed.