Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The X-man cometh posted:

Aren't they also trying to hide the dead Russian soldiers body

Honestly I’d be shocked if they cared that much.

Also Denys is a cool dude and I like his daily updates, but I haven’t watched it yet, so I don’t know about (what I assume is ) ATACMs yet being confirmed or the source.

https://youtu.be/WcaiQzWvUq0

Edit: 11:22 in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ABC News says China is finally going "Uhh, what's the deal here, Vlad?".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

Aren't they also trying to hide the dead Russian soldiers body

Reminder that that showed off mobile cremators for getting rid of those guys. Doubt they ever got to use them since Russian logistics.

But no, these are more likely casualties and people they've purposefully tortured and murdered. They've been very clear about their intentions to do so.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Also there's the 3.7 million or so Ukrainians who have been deported out of Ukraine. I'm pretty sure their survival rate is less than 100%.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I was going to post a can't believe nato made Russia kill all those people post but I don't have the heart for it anymore. Those poor people.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was going to post a can't believe nato made Russia kill all those people post but I don't have the heart for it anymore. Those poor people.

I know…I love comedy as a method to handle tragedy, but I just want vengeance now.

And may it come on swift wings.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1570550526894546945?s=46&t=wemTHJRtVqEOnmc1Pgq66w

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think the thing that makes me most annoyed is all the morons blaming anything but Russia for any of this. I said at the start it felt like the equivalent of blaming a battered housewife but it's worse than that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think the thing that makes me most annoyed is all the morons blaming anything but Russia for any of this. I said at the start it felt like the equivalent of blaming a battered housewife but it's worse than that.

Don’t blame you one bit.

Also vengeance has started.

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1570549845798096897?s=46&t=wemTHJRtVqEOnmc1Pgq66w

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Honestly I’d be shocked if they cared that much.

Also Denys is a cool dude and I like his daily updates, but I haven’t watched it yet, so I don’t know about (what I assume is ) ATACMs yet being confirmed or the source.

https://youtu.be/WcaiQzWvUq0

Edit: 11:22 in

13SEP posted:

Q: The Lithuanian Foreign Minister tweeted some harsh critics to -- toward the U.S. recently. He said that Ukraine could have thrown Russia out months ago if they had been provided the right equipment right away. And he said that now, U.S. and the West in general should send them, as fast as possible, all their -- their stockpiles of ATACMS and fighter jets. Do you agree with that assessment?

GEN. RYDER: Sylvie, I don't -- I don't have anything to say in regards to the -- the Minister's particular comments. I will say that Secretary Austin and other U.S. government leaders continue to regularly engage with our Ukrainian counterparts.

I think last week's meeting at -- at Ramstein is a good example of how seriously we're taking this and that we are constantly engaged in a dialogue to determine what are the needs of our Ukrainian partners, based on the conditions on the ground.

And as we've seen and as it -- as evidenced by this counter-offensive, they are using the equipment they have to great effect to change the dynamics on the battlefield.

Q: They also ask for ATACMS.

GEN. RYDER: And we'll continue to have those conversations with them to look at what they need immediately and into the long term.

Yeah, go ahead, Jim.

The only other news is that Mitch McConnell publicly advocated providing ATACMS to Ukraine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

The only other news is that Mitch McConnell publicly advocated providing ATACMS to Ukraine.

Yeah, I’m confused where he got that from, but nature of war or perhaps a mistranslation or overly broad read. Still good dude overall.

That said Mitch and I are having a real broken clock moment right now. I’m not enjoying the vibe, even if I’m agreeing with the message.

I think the war crimes and Infrastructure targeting and the usual Russian war crimes may tip the balance in favor.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 16, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There are two groups who will defend Russia no matter what - "ride and die" tankies and people who fetishize the ability to beat the gently caress out of societal "Others" and how that's more or less legal there, or at least the police/authorities won't do anything other than maybe join in.

EDIT: And of course "fellow travelers" who are getting paid through back-channels or those who have Kompromat on them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 16, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are two groups who will defend Russia no matter what - tankies and people who fetishize the ability to beat the gently caress out of societal "Others" and how that's more or less legal there, or at least the police/authorities won't do anything other than maybe join in.

Basically the Molotov-von Ribbentrop pact for the 21st century.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

blow up a russian colonel drinking game

Even a Russian would die

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

Imo those retrospective comments are less 'we should've done xyz 6 months ago' and are intended more as a rhetorical tool intended to encourage future action. Particularly because I don't see much from really any side suggesting that the post 2/24 assistance was anything other than about the maximum that was politically (or probably even logistically, for that matter) feasible at the time.

McConnell weighing in publicly is interesting, though I'll be surprised if Ukraine doesn't end up with ATACMs sooner than later. Or something else comparable. Or (more of?) the longer range GMLRS variants

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 16, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/spook_info/status/1570593864339324930?s=46&t=1LZo7wgOygRjDAAeX82WUA

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McConnell weighing in publicly is interesting, though I'll be surprised if Ukraine doesn't end up with ATACMs sooner than later. Or something else comparable. Or (more of?) the longer range GMLRS variants

While I’m sure Ukraine could find a use for them I don’t think they need 300 mi range precision rockets.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Murgos posted:

While I’m sure Ukraine could find a use for them I don’t think they need 300 mi range precision rockets.

Not quite, they have targets they can’t reach like Kerch and others like the Black Sea Fleet on current Ukrainian areas of control. Blasting the Black Sea Fleet means no more Russian naval blockading of Ukraine in the Azov Sea and remove any lingering threat to Odessa and also less cruise missile launchers.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

McConnell weighing in is 100% a "Biden should have done it!" talking point. If the course of events was proceeding differently over there, it would've been "Biden shouldn't have given away escalatory weapons!" with equal fervor.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madurai posted:

McConnell weighing in is 100% a "Biden should have done it!" talking point. If the course of events was proceeding differently over there, it would've been "Biden shouldn't have given away escalatory weapons!" with equal fervor.

That’s a hundred percent true, but it’s still the concept that bugs me. Still if it helps I’m okay with it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/inversefox/status/1570477883700682752

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Marshal Prolapse posted:

They found another mass grave in Izuim around 440 graves in one mass area.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...?smid=url-share

Russia is the true inheritor of the Nazi legacy.

Russia was famously more than happy to rape and murder their way across eastern Europe in WWII as well. But that time they did it as an Ally so it didn't get much press. Then the Concentration camps also stole the thunder from all the Polish and Germans civilians who were brutalized by the red army.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Murgos posted:

How long is Crimea?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The idea behind ATACMS is not only ”Oh we can strike targets exactly 299km behind enemy likes” - it is ALSO ”Oh lookie we can take out priority target X even though it has counterbattery radars and Russian counterbattery fires ready to go around it - Because we can just fire a ATACMS from 175 km behind our own lines and still whack it” which gives a ”safe” way to remove the Things That Really Need To Go without sacrificing your own assets.

And ofc Sevastopol just happens to be Almost within 300km from current front lines too, which is a nice bonus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's Russia going to do, attack the US and NATO with its backup Army? The counties that stand to lose the most - the Baltic states - are already spoiling for a fight.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

psydude posted:

What's Russia going to do, attack the US and NATO with its backup Army? The counties that stand to lose the most - the Baltic states - are already spoiling for a fight.

Poland, most of all. And god help the Russians if the Poles get pulled into this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have heard that Pole arms are quite lethal

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Murgos posted:

ATACMS rockets in Ukrainian hands pretty much forces Russia to move their ammo dumps back into Russian territory at a minimum (or at least hide them better), and if Ukraine is given permission to blow poo poo up within Russia then the ammo would need to be moved at least 300km from the front lines. It would probably spell the end of any bridges along major supply routes and put a stop to rail transport into occupied parts of Ukraine by Russia. There's a reason why Russia considers it a Big loving Deal if Ukraine is given those things.

Imo those retrospective comments are less 'we should've done xyz 6 months ago' and are intended more as a rhetorical tool intended to encourage future action. Particularly because I don't see much from really any side suggesting that the post 2/24 assistance was anything other than about the maximum that was politically (or probably even logistically, for that matter) feasible at the time.

Uncovering fresh evidence of warcrimes/genocide would probably be as good a excuse as any to start handing them over to Ukraine.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Kesper North posted:

I have heard that Pole arms are quite lethal

Just wait until you see their dancers

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Remember the 3rd Army Corps that Russia was putting together? The one filled with old men, criminals, and drunks. And that was receiving about a week of training before being sent into Ukraine. You know, the one that western analysts said would fold like a wet napkin.

Guess who made up the bulk of the Russian forces in Kharkiv.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/new...3f8941a12a2f55b

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is there a way to get another print run of the GIP dick art book going with a new intro centered on Zelensky playing the piano with his dick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbmZrzN3WFE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is there a way to get another print run of the GIP dick art book going with a new intro centered on Zelensky playing the piano with his dick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbmZrzN3WFE

note he did this skit at a campaign event

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

In a war, you always need the longest-ranged weapons possible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

ATACMS rockets in Ukrainian hands pretty much forces Russia to move their ammo dumps back into Russian territory at a minimum (or at least hide them better), and if Ukraine is given permission to blow poo poo up within Russia then the ammo would need to be moved at least 300km from the front lines. It would probably spell the end of any bridges along major supply routes and put a stop to rail transport into occupied parts of Ukraine by Russia. There's a reason why Russia considers it a Big loving Deal if Ukraine is given those things.

Uncovering fresh evidence of warcrimes/genocide would probably be as good a excuse as any to start handing them over to Ukraine.

One way or another Ukraine is getting long range missile capability beyond what they currently have. For a bunch of reasons US supplied seems to be the significant preference, but there are other ways to get missiles and other countries that have an interest in Ukraine being able to strike deeper targets.

I actually get the reticence around providing them insofar as Ukraine doing something stupid (or acting on bad intel) and blowing up some target full of civilians or something in Russia proper would be unbelievably counterproductive. Also that would be a political shitshow for whoever provided them. I generally think that they should be given what their situation needs, but it's worth recognizing that there's significant potential there for blowback. That said, Ukrainian target selection and their overall use of himars has been a big mark in their favor. I'd be surprised if the aftermath of russian occupation doesn't grease the wheels once it starts getting more publicized.

I still suspect that the Crimea air base strike likely was non-American provided weapons. Or potentially even American weapons, albeit ones not provided by the US

psydude posted:

Remember the 3rd Army Corps that Russia was putting together? The one filled with old men, criminals, and drunks. And that was receiving about a week of training before being sent into Ukraine. You know, the one that western analysts said would fold like a wet napkin.

Guess who made up the bulk of the Russian forces in Kharkiv.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/new...3f8941a12a2f55b

I am skeptical of the reporting about that because outside of a few pictures of just a handful of vehicles (and a couple photos of abandoned vehicles), there's basically zero evidence that they were actually there in any number or doing anything. They were supposedly moved in as reinforcements but other than a single series of pictures (and also faked footage from state TV of them deploying by helicopter in the kharkiv region as a reserve force), I've seen no evidence that there was anything that couldn't be explained by 20 fsb guys in a few armored vehicles with some spraypaint. If any at all significant amount of the 3rd corps was there, I'd expect there to be far more signs of them. I could certainly be wrong, but all the evidence of them so far that I've seen is just the same few pictures, which just does not add up.

also the video linked in there was released at the absolute height of russian panic and collapse and it came out in a series of russian releases intended to show that they did in fact have reserves to deploy in kharkiv region. I also never saw anyone credible confirm where or when that footage was actually from

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 16, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/09/15/7367584/

quote:

If Washington decides to supply Kyiv with missiles of a larger range, it will cross the red line and will become a party to the conflict.
Washington has been fairly cautious about escalation so far, so ignoring this would be interesting.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Was there ever anything definitive about how they pulled off that Crimean airbase attack? I don’t remember seeing anything, but might’ve just missed it (my job went crazy for a while :v: )

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was there ever anything definitive about how they pulled off that Crimean airbase attack? I don’t remember seeing anything, but might’ve just missed it (my job went crazy for a while :v: )

Long range tactical babushkas

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hannibal Rex posted:

Washington has been fairly cautious about escalation so far, so ignoring this would be interesting.

They've already crossed multiple 'red lines' before this, I think as long as they only cross one at a time it doesn't seem to matter. I'm also not entirely sure what Russia has to threaten the US with besides ICBMs which strikes me as overkill.

I still suspect that the Crimea air base strike likely was non-American provided weapons. Or potentially even American weapons, albeit ones not provided by the US

I'm not so sure, there's usually been no shortage of photos of bits of missile in the aftermath of strikes like that. I guess being an airbase it limits opportunities for passers by to get photos, but they've been pretty undisciplined with this stuff in the past. Or maybe it was a missile and Russia is keeping quiet about it because they don't want it known that another of their red lines has been crossed and they're too weak to do anything about it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
getting a ton of airplanes blown up is a huge prestige blow and for whatever reason, whatever evidence the Russians had of what was involved they never publicized

Icon Of Sin posted:

Nope, Ukraine stated it was a commando raid and Russia said it was an unfortunate smoking accident

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Who the gently caress are Russia to bitch about anyone else crossing red lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
As far as I'm concerned, we (the U.S.A.) are most definitely a party to this conflict. However, we are not shooting at the Russians. We would like to continue to not shoot at the Russians, but we definitely want the Russians out of Crimea. We're currently a noncombatant partner in the defense of Ukraine, and that is only going to change if Russia wants it to. Adding a particular ammunition to the bill of lading doesn't change this metric in any meaningful way. Being able to hit targets from 300km away is not a capability the Ukrainians don't currently have. What their difficulty is lies in is their ability to do it repeatedly and reliably. They should be given every tool they need, and can maintain, in order to speed this conflict towards a desirable conclusion.