Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

karmicknight posted:

That's just George W Bush.

glad someone else said it, lol, was having an "am I crazy, or...?" moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

karmicknight posted:

OH MY GOD IT IS

CrypticTriptych posted:

This system seems like a pretty good stab at "what makes sense" and honestly even if the flotilla:Interest concept is kind of blundered it's almost certainly trivial to mod, since it's being provided by your nation's rank and also as A Thing A Building Makes. I'm sure you can make it so nations get extra interests for inventing the telegraph, lose them for having isolationist policies, or are capped at 2 unless you own the Vatican.

IMO you should get free Interests from your flotillas, but also a small amount from convoys. You should also be able to spend influence to exceed the Interest cap and/or establish diplomacy with a nation you otherwise could not -- landlocked nations being absolutely locked out of basic diplomacy in some cases feels totally bizarre and it's going to make playing a lot of the landlocked tags totally miserable. Like, seriously? The Sikh's in the example can't even get an envoy to Persia?

Maybe instead of being so intimately tied to flotillas, it should be a matter of flotillas and nearest neighbors? So the Sikh Empire can have interests in Afghanistan, Persia, India, etc.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They did say you can always have an interest in a country that borders you

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

They did say you can always have an interest in a country that borders you

Ah, I missed that.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I also recall them saying something in this week’s stream about isolationism limiting their interests.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Horsebanger posted:

big "I tied a damsel to the railroad tracks" energy

karmicknight posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

karmicknight posted:

The W is his mustache.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

DrSunshine posted:

*Britain declares an interest in Bhutan*

(mustache twirls around and flies off with a vweeeeee noise)

When he declares war, his mustache flips up to become a pair of angry eyebrows > : )

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

karmicknight posted:

He's undercover

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnoHito posted:

He's undercover

karl, groucho, & george w. marx

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Naval influence is good because it was a very real thing in the time covered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Expedition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_Fleet

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

AnoHito posted:

He's undercover

this unholy combination of jeremy corbyn and W. will haunt my dreams.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The Paradox game thing where you don't want to play the game because you're waiting for the new patch, but instead it's you can't play Vicky2 while you wait for 3, it's finally gotten to me.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

MuffinsAndPie posted:

The Paradox game thing where you don't want to play the game because you're waiting for the new patch, but instead it's you can't play Vicky2 while you wait for 3, it's finally gotten to me.
I started playing EU4 again to get my fix.

I even bought two new dlcs for it.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME PARADOX!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nektu posted:

I started playing EU4 again to get my fix.

I even bought two new dlcs for it.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME PARADOX!!!

Try Anbennar. :unsmigghh:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Honestly, I tried firing up Vicky 2 again a little while ago and I just couldn't do it. It's kinda impressive how far Paradox has come in terms of UI and design coherence - one of the things I thought interesting about the V3 streams was that it was still more or less possible for a watcher who hadn't played the game to understand what was happening and even to critique the decisions the streamers were making. Figuring out Vicky 2 cold (when you haven't played in a while) even when you have the game is...considerably more difficult, the UI is actively hostile, and a lot of the game mechanics tend towards the unintuitive at best.

"Yeah so OK you're playing a second string power so you have an army but you can't actually afford it so what you need to do is to raise taxes to 100% (don't worry, it's inefficient so you're not ACTUALLY taking 100%) and meanwhile cut supplies to the army to the bone (don't worry you don't really NEED the army right now) and then accumulate funds to build a factory and when you have enough just force yourself into a reactionary party because of your country's parties that's the only one that allows state capitalism and allows you to build factories yourself instead of waiting for your non-existent capitalists to do it, and by the way you've been researching art for Maximum Prestige this whole time, right? Otherwise you'll have issues on the world market, just saying."

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Tooltip technology has come a long way since I was a wee lad. Maybe one day, there’ll be a game that’s only tooltips!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

nested tooltips

a tooltip within a tooltip within another tooltip

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's just Crusader Kings 3

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is there any info on whether luxury consumer goods (e.g. tea, coffee, sugar, fruits) have an additional production step to represent packaging and processing and so on? If you have a colony, do your coffee plantations produce a 'coffee' good that goes straight to the consumer market, or a 'coffee' material you can send to a factory in Europe to get turned into a finished good and provide more jobs for your European factory workers?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Red Bones posted:

Is there any info on whether luxury consumer goods (e.g. tea, coffee, sugar, fruits) have an additional production step to represent packaging and processing and so on? If you have a colony, do your coffee plantations produce a 'coffee' good that goes straight to the consumer market, or a 'coffee' material you can send to a factory in Europe to get turned into a finished good and provide more jobs for your European factory workers?

I believe there is a "groceries" industry, so possibly?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Red Bones posted:

There would have to be, presumably, because luxury clothes and furniture (which exist as goods in V3 iirc) aren’t produced and consumed straight from silk and wood.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I checked and there's a photo from one of the presentations at Paradoxcon showing (presumably?) all the trade goods, actually, so it looks like coffee/wine/tea don't have an intermediate step. It looks like art/paintings are a separate trade good though? Which is kind of cool, I wonder how that works.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

guidoanselmi posted:

Tooltip technology has come a long way since I was a wee lad. Maybe one day, there’ll be a game that’s only tooltips!

Old World has best tooltip tech.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Red Bones posted:

I checked and there's a photo from one of the presentations at Paradoxcon showing (presumably?) all the trade goods, actually, so it looks like coffee/wine/tea don't have an intermediate step. It looks like art/paintings are a separate trade good though? Which is kind of cool, I wonder how that works.

The Papal States AAR showed that fine arts "factories" produced prestige, and in that particular build a handful of them rocketed the pope to great power status.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Red Bones posted:

For liquor and wine I'm pretty sure there are multiple ways to do it. You could use a production method on your farm to produce liquor/wine out of the ground essentially, or you could chose a production method in your grocery industry to turn grain/fruit into liquor/wine.

For coffee, tea, and sugar I assume the industry represents not just the growing part but the processing part to get it ready for consumer use. Just like you can get wine "out of the ground" in an industry that represents the entire vine-to-bottle process in an agricultural setting.

Ardryn posted:

The Papal States AAR showed that fine arts "factories" produced prestige, and in that particular build a handful of them rocketed the pope to great power status.
Pretty sure they significantly nerfed that after seeing that it was an obvious issue.

Part of me thinks that's unfortunate- it's perfectly historical for a minor country to briefly be considered a great power due to their art, and there are some interesting gameplay repercussions for doing that. But then I remember that the historical precedent I'm thinking of is Victoria 2 and the whole concept is insane from a real life perspective.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Eiba posted:

For liquor and wine I'm pretty sure there are multiple ways to do it. You could use a production method on your farm to produce liquor/wine out of the ground essentially, or you could chose a production method in your grocery industry to turn grain/fruit into liquor/wine.

For coffee, tea, and sugar I assume the industry represents not just the growing part but the processing part to get it ready for consumer use. Just like you can get wine "out of the ground" in an industry that represents the entire vine-to-bottle process in an agricultural setting.

Pretty sure they significantly nerfed that after seeing that it was an obvious issue.

Part of me thinks that's unfortunate- it's perfectly historical for a minor country to briefly be considered a great power due to their art, and there are some interesting gameplay repercussions for doing that. But then I remember that the historical precedent I'm thinking of is Victoria 2 and the whole concept is insane from a real life perspective.

I'm not sure how you'd model international papal influence, which if I recall the era correctly had significant influence in how Italy became, well, Italy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It won't be there on release but the expansions can introduce some sort of celebrity system. Religious leaders, philosophers and artists may have influence on specific groups of people. Like Uncle Tom's Cabin influenced abolitionism, you know. Or that Marx guy. Pope would be a constant celebrity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

Yeah, prestige on its own shouldn't do anything. I could see an argument for your prestige rank boosting your other stats by some factor though. Like, you have a 100 point army, but you've just had a decade showing everyone the intellectual superiority of your country. Probably wouldn't be entirely out of line to say that everyone else perceives you more favorably, to the point they assume your army is actually worth 125 point for example. It still being based off your actual material stats would ensure that prestige would only be a way to get ahead of your near-peers, rather than boost you into a category where everyone else kick your rear end no problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eiba posted:

Part of me thinks that's unfortunate- it's perfectly historical for a minor country to briefly be considered a great power due to their art

Who did you have in mind, here?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Read the rest of the paragraph.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think IRL you do have stuff during the period like western fascination with Japanese art and culture; western artists visiting west Asia and North Africa and producing orientalist art for western audiences; European support for Greek independence in part from the cultural prestige of classical Greece; various national romantic arts movements being tied up with respective nationalist movements...

I have no idea how you'd slot these kinds of things into an economics and politics simulator though. Art was important during the period, more for politics than economics, but it's not really neatly encapsulated into a paintings trade good. Maybe giving an opinion bonus to foreign states if they're importing it from you might be the best way to model it simplistically?

Really some kind of art + archeology + museums + tourism expansion would be a logical move at some point. There's a lot of interesting material to work from there, both in terms of domestic politics and international relations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gort posted:

lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I think IRL you do have stuff during the period like western fascination with Japanese art and culture; western artists visiting west Asia and North Africa and producing orientalist art for western audiences; European support for Greek independence in part from the cultural prestige of classical Greece; various national romantic arts movements being tied up with respective nationalist movements...

I have no idea how you'd slot these kinds of things into an economics and politics simulator though. Art was important during the period, more for politics than economics, but it's not really neatly encapsulated into a paintings trade good. Maybe giving an opinion bonus to foreign states if they're importing it from you might be the best way to model it simplistically?

Really some kind of art + archeology + museums + tourism expansion would be a logical move at some point. There's a lot of interesting material to work from there, both in terms of domestic politics and international relations.
Yeah, that's why I suggested it boost your other stats. Greece wasn't seen as like at the level of France or whatever, but the prestige it got from its association with Ancient Greece put it well ahead of its Balkan peers in terms of the respect afforded to it by the great powers.

Archeology/plundering the treasures of other countries could definitely be a mechanic of its own, with the countries that lost them getting a permanent CB to get that poo poo back.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's why I suggested it boost your other stats. Greece wasn't seen as like at the level of France or whatever, but the prestige it got from its association with Ancient Greece put it well ahead of its Balkan peers in terms of the respect afforded to it by the great powers.

Archeology/plundering the treasures of other countries could definitely be a mechanic of its own, with the countries that lost them getting a permanent CB to get that poo poo back.

I, for one, fully support this in hopes that it will lead to many clown car naval invasions (like Belgium invading St. Petersburg) up the Thames to try to retrieve lost artifacts from the British History Museum.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

yes, exactly - maybe prestige should be a regional/cultural thing where it sways the great powers to favor you over regional peers because they think you're less savage or w/e goes through the brains of victorians when deciding who to be more or less racist toward

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Victoria 3: Royal Court Museum: Show off your loot archaeological collections in a fully 3D gallery space!

In all seriousness, more modeling of soft power and international institutions would be great to see.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Arrath posted:

I, for one, fully support this in hopes that it will lead to many clown car naval invasions (like Belgium invading St. Petersburg) up the Thames to try to retrieve lost artifacts from the British History Museum.
The Alexandrian Alliance of Greece, Egypt, Iraq, Persia, and India, all joining together to take back lost artifacts.

Jazerus posted:

yes, exactly - maybe prestige should be a regional/cultural thing where it sways the great powers to favor you over regional peers because they think you're less savage or w/e goes through the brains of victorians when deciding who to be more or less racist toward
Paradox isn't ready to make the Savage/Barbarous/Half Civilized/Civilized/Enlightened division of the world a mechanical reality.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Collecting public domain images of historical paintings was unironically one of my favourite parts of Civ 5, and I'd do it all again in Vic if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Recover Artifacts" should probably be a minor diplomatic play/war goal. Were there any wars fought during the period where the primary CB was recovering artifacts?