Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I will say that I think Wally vs Ricardo is a hilarious idea, I'm just gonna wait until the fight is done and binge all the chapters probably because coming out piecemeal like this they're pretty dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Or it hilariously goes to decision and judges are shown to be hilariously corrupt, like in real boxing :v: and award phantom punches to Ricardo to have him win again

Monaghan posted:

When was the last time a decision happened in this series again? I think Miyata had one in his favor?

This is one of the more realistic predictions for how this fight goes. Both Miyata and Volg have lost decisions because they, respectively, were and were not Japanese. IIRC it's Miyata's first foreign bout, and the Volg V Sendo Featherweight match after Date gave up the belt.

Patware posted:

instantaneous muscle movement

Ozuma got a bum rap :mad:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think I just kinda "got over" the pacing issues and all the weird Morikawa poo poo over a decade ago and now I just find it all to be amusing.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh it is, the most evil foreign characters have been Hawk and Sakaguchi, and there have been Japanese people that have acted just as bad as them.

yeah like Mashiba and Sawamura are straight up bad people and Japanese. Hell, Takamura is an awful person

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please do not disrespect the hardworking Mashiba

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I want both fighters to be just standing there doing nothing for the entire fight for Wally since he doesn't want to give anything away and can just spam taunts, for Ricardo because he's hilariously stuck in wanting to figure his opponent's moveset out only not realizing how much time is left in each round.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

UnderFreddy posted:

yeah like Mashiba and Sawamura are straight up bad people and Japanese. Hell, Takamura is an awful person

Mashiba has gotten better, but he started pretty bad.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i won't hear slander against a blue collar union man king like mashiba

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I recently read Tokyo underground, which features a lot about the 60s and 70s of Japan. Hawk reads as identical in his vileness as the Evil foreigner wrestlers they would bring in for the pure hearted Japanese wrestler to defeat.

This set up sold 20 million tvs in the 60s!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Mashiba 1.0 was pretty blatantly villainous, getting off on hurting his opponent as much as possible and cheating all the time. He also looks like a generic background character for his first few appearances:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

This is one of the more realistic predictions for how this fight goes. Both Miyata and Volg have lost decisions because they, respectively, were and were not Japanese. IIRC it's Miyata's first foreign bout, and the Volg V Sendo Featherweight match after Date gave up the belt.

Ozuma got a bum rap :mad:

I don't think we're ever going to see an important fight go to decision again, Morikawa seems to hate decisions and portrays them as a bad outcome that rips off the audience; winning by decision, in HnI, is almost as bad as losing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

I don't think we're ever going to see an important fight go to decision again, Morikawa seems to hate decisions and portrays them as a bad outcome that rips off the audience; winning by decision, in HnI, is almost as bad as losing.

It's not really been treated that way. Losing by decision is generally considered worse then losing by knockout in some cases.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

UnderFreddy posted:

The trick is

1. There are numerous positive Japanese characters in the manga and

2. The Japanese kid audience would know this anyway.

You could make the arguement at this point that a significant portion of the non-Japanese depicted in this manga aren't done so sympathetically. And it doesn't have to be as cartoonishly overt as Bryan Hawk, it can be as innocuous as Michael Goat being gormless enough to think the Japanese audience were cheering for him when they were just upset with Takamura.

Like Morikawa doesn't literally have the foot soldiers of the IJA gritting their teeth at the shame of the occupying Americans feeding them (???) anymore, but if anyone thinks his prejudices and politics aren't incredibly obvious just because he isn't spelling them out anymore then I don't know what to tell you.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Were Kamogawa and his friend (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, Danpachi or something?) IJA soldiers? I don't remember if it was said if they ever fought in the war

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Were Kamogawa and his friend (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, Danpachi or something?) IJA soldiers? I don't remember if it was said if they ever fought in the war

They were not soldiers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nilbop posted:

You could make the arguement at this point that a significant portion of the non-Japanese depicted in this manga aren't done so sympathetically. And it doesn't have to be as cartoonishly overt as Bryan Hawk, it can be as innocuous as Michael Goat being gormless enough to think the Japanese audience were cheering for him when they were just upset with Takamura.

Like Morikawa doesn't literally have the foot soldiers of the IJA gritting their teeth at the shame of the occupying Americans feeding them (???) anymore, but if anyone thinks his prejudices and politics aren't incredibly obvious just because he isn't spelling them out anymore then I don't know what to tell you.

I think that is taking things a bit far. Goat was just a guy, and the majority of foreigners are treated just as people, no different than the Japanese characters.

Also it was not Goat that made that mistake. It was Peter Rabbitson who got cheered for (And the audience did actually start to cheer for him because of being upset with Takamura, which led to his loss cause he got cocky then. But Rabbitson was a more comedic fight)

Also it kind of makes perfect sense for Japanese Citizens to be disgruntled with occupying Americans right after the war.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

56-year old sports fan has some opinions that are not progressive, shocking dozens

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I think its pretty rough to conclude that Morikawa has some severe biases influencing his writing regarding non Japanese people. The significant majority of non Japanese characters are handled with appropriateness and care, he writes them the same as he does his Japanese characters. In the earlier years he was pretty uncouth at points, but that has largely been hammered out during the run of the manga.

Like, Hawk is a bad guy but he's not bad because he's American, he's just a loving bad dude. Eagle, Bison, Dragon, Miguel, Ozma, Volg, Alf, Ricardo, Nargo, and a few more are all characters written in a way that you're explicitly supposed to like or empathize with them. And like others have noticed, Woli's major goals and dreams are all very noble (he's just insanely annoying as a boxer IMO, not as a person).

Don't get me wrong, there are strains of Bad Thought in the manga, but it's also similarly obvious that he's tried pretty hard to remove those and has been almost entirely successful at it. Context isn't an excuse but it does explain, this is indeed a manga from a deeply socially conservative country that started 40 years ago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tbp posted:

I think its pretty rough to conclude that Morikawa has some severe biases influencing his writing regarding non Japanese people. The significant majority of non Japanese characters are handled with appropriateness and care, he writes them the same as he does his Japanese characters. In the earlier years he was pretty uncouth at points, but that has largely been hammered out during the run of the manga.

Like, Hawk is a bad guy but he's not bad because he's American, he's just a loving bad dude. Eagle, Bison, Dragon, Miguel, Ozma, Volg, Alf, Ricardo, Nargo, and a few more are all characters written in a way that you're explicitly supposed to like or empathize with them. And like others have noticed, Woli's major goals and dreams are all very noble (he's just insanely annoying as a boxer IMO, not as a person).

Don't get me wrong, there are strains of Bad Thought in the manga, but it's also similarly obvious that he's tried pretty hard to remove those and has been almost entirely successful at it. Context isn't an excuse but it does explain, this is indeed a manga from a deeply socially conservative country that started 40 years ago.

This is a good read on it I think

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The friend's name was Nekota, I don't know how I forgot that

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Flesnolk posted:

I got the impression that the three of them were soldiers, but weren't ever actually deployed to battle.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

(I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, Danpachi or something?)

Nekota dani

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The important thing that non-japanese fighters bring to HnI is that their muscles are fundamentally different at producing bursts of power. Which allows for more nuanced fights

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Mike Tyson canonically exists in HnI, which makes me wonder if Takamura is gonna start running into real boxers

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

Mike Tyson canonically exists in HnI, which makes me wonder if Takamura is gonna start running into real boxers

Just pull a Baki and start introducing fictional family members of real life people.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Tike Myson

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

*Mike Tyson voice* "This is Tike, my son"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tyke Tyson.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't finished the fourth season yet but if this doesn't happen in Mike Tyson Mysteries I will be disappointed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Just pull a Baki and start introducing fictional family members of real life people.

Why do that when Ippo can fight Che Guevara himself?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The son of Tyson should be named Balrog. Just to make an even bigger mess.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Flesnolk posted:

The mahjong players as well as the venue and owner in the Keith arc were all real, incidentally (with slightly tweaked names).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nilbop posted:

The majority of them are just some dudes who ends up being cannon fodder for Takamura, there's not a lot of room for any kind of sympathetic internality when you're a literal bump in the road for the comic's resident 18 wheeler

Also if I remember right I think the idea is that Kamogawa and Nekota were juuuust young enough to not actually be in the war. They were late teens/early 20s during the prize fighting bits in the manga, in other words.

I would never pretend that Ippo is particularly enlightened with it's depiction of foreigners, but I definitely don't think it's particularly bad about them either. The comedic bits in this comic are very broad, which invites a lot of wacky stereotype poo poo, and it's a story about boxing, which as a industry is not exactly full of sterling personalities in the first place. In spite of that, there's a tangible effort made to show the more prominent members of the international gang are the same kind of distinct, sympathetic, fully thought out characters that a lot of the Japanese random weirdos that the main characters get into fights with are.

In short, when it comes to handling of non-Japanese characters, it's better than Prince of Tennis, but not as good as Haikyu

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 19, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

trucutru posted:

Why do that when Ippo can fight Che Guevara himself?

he has to fight Big Boss and a skunk ape first

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1396

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There we go tons of punches were thrown.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
We'll see how this fight ends, but man are my eyes rolling hard at this fight so far

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The more they build Woli up like this the more ridiculous it’s going to seem when Ippo gears up to fight Ricardo in 2055.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Isn't Woli going to gas himself out quicker with all the running around and jumping between rounds? What a ridiculous character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ricardo is gonna punch and knock out the ref so Woli can no longer hide behind him