Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vermain posted:

i honestly wonder if a big part of it might just be that whatever inhouse engine tri-ace is using isn't up to the task

check out the oddly flickering shadows on her left arm, or how this guy's face twitches like a loving pod person as he's trying to emote, or any of the backgrounds having the world's flattest, dullest lighting. i can understand wanting to preserve your pipeline and not have to worry about licensing fees, but there comes a point where you really oughta just shell out for UE4

Oooh yeah, that eyebrow ain't doing too good. The flickering shadow on the girl in the yellow top's just the shadow of the bangs of her hair moving across it. I think it's just a really basic hard shadow so it does... not look good compared to most lighting nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Man i really wish they'd pick a side of the anime spectrum and stick with it instead of ending up with weird mostly-realistic faces except for some of the women who are apparently just made of playdoh.

Tri-Face

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished the Valkyrie Elysium demo and yeah, there was pretty much absolutely no story to speak of for real in the Chapter. Gameplay was fun for 2/3rds of it but uh, I can foresee this getting old really quickly unless the Einherjar/additional skills really switch things up. Like, having a boss that has a weak point you can only hit in midair but not actually give you any way to dodge in midair is... definitely a choice.

It also seems like it pulls a Dragon Age 2 where the side quests just boots you back to the Chapter area you already did except many pathways are mysteriously walled/boarded off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think the new SO looks particularly visually good, but it doesn't offend my eyes. "AA RPG" sums it up, I think.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

OneDeadman posted:

My only like real complaint about Valkyrie Elysium is that it's combat is sorta stiff. Like you can grapple hook and jump cancel out of the recovery of moves but you can't dodge or block cancel out of them. Which I guess defensively is kinda annoying but at the very least Divine Arts all seem to have ludicrious amounts of invincibility frames to them.

I'm pretty confident you unlock stuff like this in the skill tree because literally everyhing is locked behind it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

To be fair Star Ocean 4 did that too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar posted:

To be fair Star Ocean 4 did that too.

Yeah, and it sucked!

My understanding is that Tri-Ace is terrified of losing sales for being "too anime" except that they are also 100% anime firing on all cylinders at all times in every other way, so you end up with this ugly compromise.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Suikoden (Edit: I & II) HD remaster announced on Konami's TGS stream.

https://twitter.com/denfaminicogame/status/1570661973326712834

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAzjwEjnFDs

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 16, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Clarste posted:

Yeah, and it sucked!

My understanding is that Tri-Ace is terrified of losing sales for being "too anime" except that they are also 100% anime firing on all cylinders at all times in every other way, so you end up with this ugly compromise.

They've been trying to capture the "realistic" anime look ever since VP2 on PS2 it feels like and I think they got the closest with Resonance of Fate but have backslid from there.

The cartoony look of SO3 and Radiata Stories were good but I guess they don't want to do that anymore.

SO4 has the infamous realistic portraits only on the 360 release too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm interested, as long as they don't do what Squenix did with the Chrono Trigger PC port when it launched, where it had an ugly smoothing filter applied that you couldn't remove. Or the (AFAIK) still terrible Grandia 1 remaster where they applied the gross smoothing filter to the sprites at the asset level (and IIRC didn't even apply it consistently so there were frames of an animation or even half of a sprite that didn't have the filter).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surprised its just suikoden 1 and not suikoden 1 + 2, the original suikoden is pretty short.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1932640/Suikoden_III_HD_Remaster_Gate_Rune_and_Dunan_Unification_Wars/

oh wait it is suikoden 1 + 2 lol

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Guess someone jumped the gun a bit with that page. Also that link makes it sound like it's a Suikoden III remaster!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It looks closer to Pier Solar than 2DHD

danger!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't trust Konami, sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1570669252650340352/photo/1

notably they arent adding voice acting or anything, unlike, say, live a live

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I am a bit surprised they didn't do anything to the sprites, with everything else slicked up they now kinda stand out.

I wonder if the English versions are going to get retranslated, I remember II's at least being pretty sketchy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1 and 2 had some TL issues, 2 especially had bits where it just outright descended into nonsense. considering konami though, i wouldnt be surprised if it was just a quick runthrough to fix the most obvious grammar/spelling errors and call it a day.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Has Konami even released anything recent to compare?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I can't imagine they have the translation spreadsheets for the original Suikoden games anymore. It'd be cheaper to just hire someone to retranslate the game fresh than hunt down old files or transcribe from the old games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

Not really, all the recent collections they've done were ported as is

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Never really had a chance to play Suikoden 3-5 even though I have Suikoden 3 for PS2 layin around.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I am a bit surprised they didn't do anything to the sprites, with everything else slicked up they now kinda stand out.
Yeah I don't like how that looks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also adding a map screen and dialogue log, a speed up mode + toggleable auto-battle for combat, out next year for all major platforms.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 16, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Yugioh Master Duel and Cross Duel, as well as the Switch Rush Duel game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So yeah retranslation/rewrite

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 16, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terper posted:

Wow, that's a much scarier 'You're getting robbed' line.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Not really giving us major lines to compare but yeah, they've at least gone over the whole script again.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

2 in particular has a rough translation at points and quite a few bugs so them going over the script is great. The areas in the trailer look great but the sprites do clash a bit, hopefully it won't be as noticeable once you're sitting down playing. Honestly as long as Konami sticks the landing it should be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyjeaDBgl4

Will say that the new UI isn't great, reminds me of the lovely Final Fantasy android UIs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They should leave in the entire town where nobody is translated and also the completely silent singing section

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i dunno where this screencaps from (probably a recent trailer or a magazine), but the new art seems p cool too even though i got zero knowledge about suikoden :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad they're finally doing something with Suikoden, but man I hate the new graphics. It doesn't match the sprites at all and just looks like cheap CGI for the most part. I was initially ambivalent about the widescreen, but if you look at some of the screenshots it completely ruins the composition of a given scene. Like when you're visiting the emperor and you're able to see into a room across the hallway instead of just having it be focused on what's happening. I don't like the portraits either, they just made them look like modern anime which isn't what I want.

Ugh, the whole thing stinks, to me. None of this would be an issue if you could just pick the original graphics, but it doesn't seem like you can. At least we're getting a new script and presumably bugfixes, I guess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kanfy posted:

I wonder if the English versions are going to get retranslated, I remember II's at least being pretty sketchy.
I mean, I assume if they were going to "do anything with the sprites" it would be applying a lovely smoothing filter and calling it a day, and I'd prefer the mismatched blocky pixels to that.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I can't imagine they have the translation spreadsheets for the original Suikoden games anymore. It'd be cheaper to just hire someone to retranslate the game fresh than hunt down old files or transcribe from the old games
I honestly hope they've lost the spreadsheets, the translation was the part of those games that actually needs an update. They're otherwise pretty good-looking games for the PS1 that don't really need a graphical update. If I'm really dreaming, I'll hope that they're updating some of the mechanics from S1 to match S2, but considering they're apparently not even adding VA I'll temper my expectations.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They should leave in the entire town where nobody is translated and also the completely silent singing section
Did I miss a town somehow? Must be in S2 because I've gotten all 108 stars in S1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iirc its a glitch in suikoden 2 where if you go to a late game town as soon as possible in the english version, everyone is glitched out and spits out garbled japanese

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They probably fixed the matilda gate glitch didn't they

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

My two big requests for Suikoden 1 is them updating the inventory and adding a convoy so story sections don't have four slots taken up by forced characters. It probably won't happen but I can dream, they're the two worst things about going back to play it.

Runa posted:

They probably fixed the matilda gate glitch didn't they

That was fixed in the PSP double pack so yeah probably.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 16, 2022

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Booky posted:

i dunno where this screencaps from (probably a recent trailer or a magazine), but the new art seems p cool too even though i got zero knowledge about suikoden :v:
It was from their TGS panel where they announced it

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Terper posted:

RIP Sonya Cat 1999 - 2022

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 16, 2022

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
I literally played Suikoden 2 so much as a kid I wore groves into the disk so it looking just slightly better but with an improved translation and a few modern features like turbo is more then enough to sell me on it already.

Honestly though, any one of those things by themselves would have sold me on it. It was legitimately my favorite game as a child so I am super easy to please in this one case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey speaking of Suikoden, Eiyuden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW-vRt9iWnA