Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alright, time to put the thread on mute for the next 12 pages....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

"C'mon Ensign Pinkman, we have to cook."

"Yeah, gravitons, BITCH!"

EDIT: surprised we never got Dean Norris as some Federation Admiral or an alien of the week at some point

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Trek 3: The Search for Sex Gifs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

They don't. They "convert people into energy" which sounds like total nonsense so far as any real science is concerned, but it's nonsense that is consistently found elsewhere throughout the franchise, with some aliens managing to ascend into energy beings as a higher form of existence. You could also compare it to the guy getting somehow converted to digital in Tron.

Other people invented their own ideas of being somehow reassembled as an exact duplicate of yourself (using other, separate total nonsense so far as any real science is concerned) that predate Star Trek, but it wasn't until 1984 that Derek Parfit proposed the "teletransportation paradox" as he called it.

It's essentially a paradox of "if a tree falls in the void of space, where there is no gravity or sound, but here in this case it can fall and there can be sound, does it make a sound?"

Whether they convert people into energy is a long debate in trek. In early TNG when they cared more about that kind of thing, they are pretty clearly matter streams that need a confinement beam. But they beam out Picard as "pure energy" in Lonely Among Us.

If they really converted people into energy then the transporter would blow up the ship the first time you turn it on.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 15, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny too because it's not like Gene had this strong vision of transporters, they just couldn't afford to build a shuttle set. I wonder how much of the now-ubiquitous concept of matter teleportation owes itself to a Desilu accountant.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sash! posted:

I like to pretend that Data's equipment makes a mechanical ratcheting sound when it switches modes, just to be extra-offputting.

Left, down, rotate 62 degrees, engage rotor

Angry_Ed posted:

"Yeah, gravitons, BITCH!"

EDIT: surprised we never got Dean Norris as some Federation Admiral or an alien of the week at some point

Yeah Mike Ehrmantraut showed up on the endless hellwar planet and Tuco showed up on the, uh, other endless hellwar planet

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 15, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Coward

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, just take the transporter to twelve pages from now

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lost my honor, gonna use the transporter for real this time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah the GBS thread just went through this and it was like a week of interminable YES IT DOES and NO IT DOESN'T

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We tried to beam the argument up, but the ship got NO IT DOESN'T while YES IT DOES bounced off a cloud and was left on the surface for eight years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Computer lock onto the poo poo in my rear end and beam it directly into this guy's mouth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Open the cargo bay!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

No need, I've recalibrated the deflector dish

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So if Moriarty escaped from his Raspberry Pi, stole the Doctor's mobile emitter, beamed down to Vulcan, and had his katra transferred into the body of Kevin Uxbridge, would the Federation have any law to fit his crime?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I don't think Holograms have Katras.

Tuvok tried to pon'far with one during Voyager's run and it didn't work out. (though it did work out for Torres and Tom :heysexy: )

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

No need, I've recalibrated the deflector dish

Reroute power and let the dish take care of it :c00l:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 15, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/videos/beyond-and-back-star-trek-deep-space-nine-roundtable

Anyway, IGN did a 50 minute roundtable retrospective discussion on Deep Space Nine with Nana Visitor, Colm Meaney, and Terry Farrell for its upcoming 30th anniversary.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Reroute power and let the dish take care of it :c00l:

Set main deflector to defrost

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Love to hear Colm Meaney say amimimimimnuh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sisko for Hire coming this fall to Paramount+ :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's still extremely funny that Alexander went back in time to try to kill himself

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Finally got back to my TNG watch. The universe is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter is an all-time classic line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember when they removed Worf's spine and he got better on his own?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arglebargle III posted:

It's still extremely funny that Alexander went back in time to try to kill himself

I mean do you blame him?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Some people report being conscious in the matter stream.

Presumably someone on Vulcan knows the dark secret truth of what happens to the katra while beaming. Presumably it isn't much, or beaming would be "illogical".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean a katra's just taking disk image anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know how I was saying the Galaxy class has a hidden flaw in its warp core ejection system? I just realized that if you count the Enterprise in the Typhon Expanse, the Galaxy class has managed to lose about three dozen hulls to warp core breach from a class of just 12 ships.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

zoux posted:

It's funny too because it's not like Gene had this strong vision of transporters, they just couldn't afford to build a shuttle set. I wonder how much of the now-ubiquitous concept of matter teleportation owes itself to a Desilu accountant.

Interesting to imagine how different Trek would have been if they didn't have the transporter. So much of the Federations magical tech seems to come from the fact that if they have transporters they should also have X.

Maybe there's an alternate universe where TOS didn't have transporters but they were introduced for TNG, and there are ongoing debates about whether they improves or destroyed the realism of Star Trek.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Senor Tron posted:

Interesting to imagine how different Trek would have been if they didn't have the transporter. So much of the Federations magical tech seems to come from the fact that if they have transporters they should also have X.

The Orville makes me think... not that much different?

The thing about transporters is that they literally only ever work under the most routine possible circumstances or they're the entire focus of the episode/the technobabble solution to the episode's problem. Voyager is especially bad about the transporters never, ever working in circumstances where they'd be the logical answer to some issue. At some point the show even stopped trying to justify it with more than a split-second clip of Harry screaming "it's not working!" with no further explanation.

Transporters are really the most iconic piece of Trek tech but they don't really matter outside of the episodes that are literally about them. "Okay we're walking back to the shuttle now" would work just as well as beaming up, uh, basically always.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

As in all things the Culture has it right re: teleportation (or "Displacement"). No-one is broken into components, they're just surrounded by a spherical field and yeeted through hyperspace like a very small ship.

Also for ethical reasons the subject must be aware of the fact that a Displace incurs an approximately one in sixty-one million chance of utter failure resulting in death for the subject.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The TNG tech guide said something about how they were great because they let people just move into the story, which is a fair point. I think most of the fuss would be removed if it was some kind of space manipulation poo poo, but that also opens its own can of worms... and it's mostly, "that would shut up nerd arguments online." In theory. It would just become about the implications of space manipulation technology. "If you can create a localized wormhole why do you need a starship"

What I do think is kind of cool even if it's been just the set of reality for most of our nerd-rear end lives is, that the replicator is a logical spinoff of that technology, but it's lateral thinking. It's just lateral thinking in a very realistic sort of way, leading to a major innovation. And another thing for nerds to post about!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As in all things the Culture has it right re: teleportation (or "Displacement"). No-one is broken into components, they're just surrounded by a spherical field and yeeted through hyperspace like a very small ship.

Also for ethical reasons the subject must be aware of the fact that a Displace incurs an approximately one in sixty-one million chance of utter failure resulting in death for the subject.

I don't think it's yeeting them across hyperspace, it bends space to create an instantaneous zero-length wormhole translocating items from one location to another. But yeah, it's a space warp thing.

Nessus posted:

It would just become about the implications of space manipulation technology. "If you can create a localized wormhole why do you need a starship"

I mean that's exactly the same question an answer as matter transporters: range. JJ. (and to a lesser extent capacity)

A big thing they should've done that they never did was establish that transporter scrambling/inhibitor tech is ubiquitous and standard procedure across any species. Any outpost or city just blocks transporters as a matter of course, any ship is regularly blocking (independent of shields), to beam anywhere under those systems you have to request a hole (automatic when you're beaming with permission), or know their scrambling pattern or have someone on the inside open one for you or knock out that system, most civilisations's communicators will jam a transporter for the person they're on so to kidnap people with them you have to steal their combadge and angrily stamp on it, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 16, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I don't think it's yeeting them across hyperspace, it bends space to create an instantaneous zero-length wormhole translocating items from one location to another. But yeah, it's a space warp thing.

Culture FTL is really interesting in that it's described as dipping in and out of super and sub-spaces "above" and "below" the actual skein. I was simplifying for that post but I always saw displacement as being not quite a zero-length wormhole but rather a tunnel through hyper or hypospace from A-B. Zero length in 3D space, short-ish in the higher or lower dimension. It's why Displacement is more risky over longer distances, since the tunnel has to be of greater "length" and held open for longer.

It would also mean that displacement is either an offshoot of or a precursor to FTL, which is quite satisfying in a tech tree/tech cliff kind of way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure they literally describe it as a wormhole several times, though (E: mainly in Excession). But you could argue all the tech description is simplified anyway and maybe such a tunnel would qualify as a wormhole regardless.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 16, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Displacements can be intercepted if the Mind is quick enough and has some warning, which is one of the reasons I think there's a miniscule amount of travel time through a higher dimension, but yeah, we're just splitting hairs at this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there any truth or source to the rumor that Stewart's contract was up at the end of TNG S3 and the cliffhanger was an opportunity to write him out of the show if he didn't re-sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Arivia posted:

Is there any truth or source to the rumor that Stewart's contract was up at the end of TNG S3 and the cliffhanger was an opportunity to write him out of the show if he didn't re-sign?

Picard was originally meant to be replaced by Riker after the first season or two, so Stewart having a limited contract at first seems plausible.