Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
You're right, that was a Mercedes star on the black cars. Modeled after the Mercedes 600, the car favoured by dictators and industrialists alike.

quote:

Nicolae Ceaușescu, Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Muammar Gaddafi, Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-il and Leonid Brezhnev

List stolen from this article: https://www.shuttlechoice.ro/en/fascinating-lineup-people-owned-mercedes-benz-600-grosser/ they also could have added Idi Amin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The guard's accent is physically hurting my ears.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

fish and chips and dip posted:

You're right, that was a Mercedes star on the black cars. Modeled after the Mercedes 600, the car favoured by dictators and industrialists alike.

List stolen from this article: https://www.shuttlechoice.ro/en/fascinating-lineup-people-owned-mercedes-benz-600-grosser/ they also could have added Idi Amin.

I decided to probe further by researching as far as Wikipedia, this was a very popular vehicle for political figures.

anilEhilated posted:

The guard's accent is physically hurting my ears.

I've recorded the next update and I've just been reminded about some things that I've been meaning to ask since the very first video of this entire series of games. I understand that this is a game by an English studio that is aimed at an English-speaking audience. When two characters who have the same native language talk to each other, are they speaking their native language and we're getting a translation of it or are they actually speaking English?

For example, Two French police officers enter the scene and they don't know George is American. Yet when they speak to each other they are speaking in English. Every French person that we meet speaks English fluently.

Another example is that we are now in Czech and the guard speaks to us in English. Why isn't he speaking to us in Czech? Is he speaking to George and Nico in Czech and we're getting a translation because they both know the language?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I rather suspect they decided to depict Czech by speaking English with a Russian accent. The 'Allo 'Allo translation method, if you will.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

anilEhilated posted:

I rather suspect they decided to depict Czech by speaking English with a Russian accent. The 'Allo 'Allo translation method, if you will.

Maybe that's why George is so insecure. He's really mishearing everyone's speech and believes that it's all innuendo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wasn't expecting the game itself to reference Castlevania, but I am glad that the survivors from Shadow Moses found employment after the Incident.

Edit: I also like the way the guards are continually cocking their guns. That way you know they're armed.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 1, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is two short segments combined. The first half involves Nico sneaking inside the castle and trying to find a way to walk around inconspicuously. The second half involves George trying to find a way into the castle and putting safety first in the process. I know that the last update was only a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure when the next update will happen as I have a busy couple of days ahead of me.

Samovar posted:

Wasn't expecting the game itself to reference Castlevania, but I am glad that the survivors from Shadow Moses found employment after the Incident.

Edit: I also like the way the guards are continually cocking their guns. That way you know they're armed.

What was the reference? I've never played Castlevania.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What was the reference? I've never played Castlevania.

Oops, my brain is broken and erroneously claimed that Nicole's last name was Belmont, not Collard. Sorry.

And boy, oh boy, I thought the first game's attempt at a Scottish accent was... Not good...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Oops, my brain is broken and erroneously claimed that Nicole's last name was Belmont, not Collard. Sorry.

And boy, oh boy, I thought the first game's attempt at a Scottish accent was... Not good...

Is it not from anywhere that you recognise?

I'm in London and decided to visit the British Museum on a whim. I've just found this and thought that I'd share it here:

Edit: I'm not sure how this actually looks as the imgur app is horrible for embedding while using a mobile phone.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 2, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Neat!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the end of George & Nico's time in Prague. Nico goes on a little power trip, George gets all macho and Flap decides to become a dedicated follower of fashion.

Things should return to their normal pace after this update as I'll be returning to work on Monday. I've also received a reply to my request of adding the first Broken Sword to the archive, I've now replaced the OP with the second game and have sent another archive request.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The banter in this section is honestly the first indication (that I can remember so far) that George and Nico actually do like each other - at least sometimes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

The banter in this section is honestly the first indication (that I can remember so far) that George and Nico actually do like each other - at least sometimes.

That was a nice touch as there was a lot of tension and snark between them up until this point. Especially from George as he has been really resentful and mean towards Nico over what appears to be his own insecurities.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've had a busy few weeks, so I'm only just now catching up with the LP, but the block pushing puzzle in this episode was really awful, and was obvious padding. Setting aside the absurdity of George hauling around cubic-meter sized hunks of stone like it's nothing, it's just a bad puzzle! The goat puzzle in BS1 was infamous for its absurdity and obtuseness, but it was still something that required you to engage your brain. This block puzzle? The solution is painfully obvious, and requires nothing of you other than a willingness to waste precious minutes of your life. Urgh!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It reminds me of some of the banter I've heard from old radio shows.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

I've had a busy few weeks, so I'm only just now catching up with the LP, but the block pushing puzzle in this episode was really awful, and was obvious padding. Setting aside the absurdity of George hauling around cubic-meter sized hunks of stone like it's nothing, it's just a bad puzzle! The goat puzzle in BS1 was infamous for its absurdity and obtuseness, but it was still something that required you to engage your brain. This block puzzle? The solution is painfully obvious, and requires nothing of you other than a willingness to waste precious minutes of your life. Urgh!

Most of the block puzzles in this game are relatively short, thankfully. I appreciate that thought and logic is needed to solve it but it's absolutely no fun watching George slowly push blocks around. This definitely was unashamed padding.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George returns to an old stomping ground and meets a very old friend. He also starts to get a reputation as a peeping tom.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I confess - I was NOT expecting to see that boy again.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

I confess - I was NOT expecting to see that boy again.

It is a very unexpected cameo but also a welcome one. I'm pretty sure that his character didn't have a name in the first Broken Sword.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is George's visit to St Stefan's in its entirety. We have exploration, puzzle solving, stealth and plot advancement in this segment. I think that the only thing missing was a block puzzle. We are nearing the end of the game now as things should be wrapping up in two or three more updates. I know that I've blasted my way through Broken Sword 3 these past couple of months as I've had more free time on my hands than I usually do. I'm probably going to have a little break from the series for two or three weeks after this game has wrapped so people are able to catch up.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This may have been the intention all along, but it feels like they really doubled down on trying to make George into a store-brand Indiana Jones. Especially in the "turbulent and somewhat problematic relationship with female lead" way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

This may have been the intention all along, but it feels like they really doubled down on trying to make George into a store-brand Indiana Jones. Especially in the "turbulent and somewhat problematic relationship with female lead" way.

If I remember correctly, this calms down with the next game as it goes back to a more traditional style. You can tell that they were trying some new things out with the transition to 3D, some things worked and some things didn't.

I'm trying to work out whether there has been more action in this game than in the first two. I think that they've done a good job of keeping the action sequences few and far between. But now we have characters who can run, jump, pull massive slabs around and shimmy endlessly across buildings at great heights.

I can understand what they were trying to do with George and Nico in this game but I'm not sure about it's execution. They have both shown insecurities and jealousy towards each other so it seems to fit that their relationship wouldn't exactly be smooth. George has become resentful and a little sadistic towards Nico. Nico has suddenly become jealous that Andrč has met someone yet displayed no romantic interests in him before. Its a but all over the place.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My thoughts exactly. I can't help but compare these games to Fate of Atlantis, which I'm sure must have been an inspiration. By and large they've handled the transition to 3D quite well, the controls seem OK and the stealth is forgiving - it looks easier to recognise when the game thinks you're hidden than it was in 2D. Never mind the bits where George and Nico are yelling at each other while ten guards with machine guns are clearly in earshot, though.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I wanted to wait until we got further into the game, but I've still not figured out just what narrative gaps Broken Sword 2.5 was trying to fix?

I had assumed it might be something with George and Nico's relationship, but 2.5 ended with them happily going off on vacation somewhere, and then 3 starts with them having broken up.

I'm glad to hear that 4 goes back to a more traditional gameplay style, as while I appreciate what they've been doing with 3, the interminable block puzzles have added to a general feeling of something not feeling right.

Although (just to be controversial), am I alone in preferring to see a Nico-centric game rather than a George-centric game? I enjoyed her segment in the castle much more than the bits where George was in charge...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George and Nico visit Egypt to stop Susarro's plans once and for all. This is the entirety of their time in Egypt in full. It will most likely be the penultimate video for this game, so either the next episode is nice and relaxing for everyone involved or things aren't over just yet.

I thought that I would be posting this update tomorrow morning as the processing times for BS3, especially at this time of night, are usually horrendously slow. I'm surprised at the swiftness as I recorded this very late tonight and it's a fairly lengthy video.

Zaroff posted:

I wanted to wait until we got further into the game, but I've still not figured out just what narrative gaps Broken Sword 2.5 was trying to fix?

I had assumed it might be something with George and Nico's relationship, but 2.5 ended with them happily going off on vacation somewhere, and then 3 starts with them having broken up.

I'm glad to hear that 4 goes back to a more traditional gameplay style, as while I appreciate what they've been doing with 3, the interminable block puzzles have added to a general feeling of something not feeling right.

Although (just to be controversial), am I alone in preferring to see a Nico-centric game rather than a George-centric game? I enjoyed her segment in the castle much more than the bits where George was in charge...

I have absolutely no idea! I went into the game blind and the information that I originally posted about the game is from everything that I read about it beforehand and nothing seemed to add up at all.

The fourth game is also in 3D but it can be played as a point-and-click too. My memories of it are vague apart from a couple of locations so I'm looking forward to playing it again. BS3 will most likely be finished before the week is over and then I'll be taking a break from the series for a couple of weeks.

I really enjoy the Nico segments, it seems like she's been having a lot more time in charge in this game compared to the second game. It's just a shame that her segments have seemed like they are a lot shorter than George's.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

VOICE ACTING!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

VOICE ACTING!

VOICE ACTING?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

As in Sussaro's death was, shall we say, not the best of performances.

Also the Foley work for the fistfight.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

As in Sussaro's death was, shall we say, not the best of performances.

Also the Foley work for the fistfight.

Susarro's death performance was extremely underwhelming. All I could think about the time was Runt from Simon The Sorcerer.

Edit: I'm going to try to record the next video within the next couple of days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Credits are rolling. The final section of this game is abysmal!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Broken Sword - Sleeping Dragon. The actual storyline is surprisingly short for the end game and the gameplay for the segment is pretty bad. George and Nico return to Glastonbury and are greeted by a couple of old friends, which is nice. But then we end the game with a crate puzzle and a horribly executed action sequence.

I adore this game despite some of its flaws. I've mentioned before that the transition to 3D was new territory for the company and they tried new things to go with it. Some things worked and some things didn't, they seemed to have take what did work into the fourth game in the series. For a 3D adventure game from 2003, this still holds up really well and is definitely one of the best games of its type for the time. This was a really fun game to revisit and I enjoyed it immensely, it's just a shame that the end sequence was so dire and the issues with some of the writing. I'm definitely looking forward to the fourth game.

Bonus videos

I thought that I'd compile and post the death reel alongside the finale. I've tried to keep each part unique so I've kept out the generic getting shot by the guard's footage as it can happen so frequently.

Death Reel

I'm taking a break from the Broken Sword series for a short time as I've blasted through four of the games in six months, I ploughed through this game in a month and a half. I will definitely be returning to the fourth game soon, I'm going to give people a chance to catch up.

My plan now is to attempt to start an LP of Return To Monkey Island on Monday and then return to the fourth game afterwards.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The facial animation in the end scene are really goofy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

The facial animation in the end scene are really goofy.

The whole of the last segment seems completely out of place, especially with the cutscenes and action sequence. It feels like the ending went under a complete overhaul after they had originally finished the game.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the last two videos. Am I just blind or did I just totally miss the part where the dragon killed Petra? I tried to re-watch it but I just couldn't see it :dafuq:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It was like a half second, probably to make us think it was Nico by not showing a close up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

fish and chips and dip posted:

Finally caught up with the last two videos. Am I just blind or did I just totally miss the part where the dragon killed Petra? I tried to re-watch it but I just couldn't see it :dafuq:

Nico claimed that the reason why she survived and Petra didn't is because she was "knocked out". The way that I see it is this:

Nico and Petra start to tussle.

The dragon spits fireballs which heads towards them both.

And then they both disappear.

Edit: Looking at the final frame before the disappearance, it does seem like Petra was hit by one of the fireballs.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 15, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh oh oh oh oh oh dear.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, that was certainly an ending. Fitting how it finished on some buttrock.
At least Harry got a decent send-off?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, that was certainly an ending. Fitting how it finished on some buttrock.
At least Harry got a decent send-off?

If all went well then he's now married into wealth and is now a member of the aristocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Well that was an ending! Susarro was killed, Petra got away and George, Nico and Bruno stopped the machine.

And nothing else happened after that….