Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Eskay talks about how it actually feels to play Kiriko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkd5jKr6wo

Absolutely no point playing Ana now, you'll just be run down and your anti or sleep cleansed.

TLDR:
Did she mention how much the Kunai headshots do?
Can I just go DPS and hunt enemy healers and hear the weepings of both teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

headcase posted:

I don't think they can eliminate hard counters in OW without dumbing down the abilities even more than they already have. The standard will be different for what 'hard counter' means but there will still be a clear choice in a lot of cases.

I hate the trend to take away diversity and power of cooldowns. It is well documented that I want to play a non-shooter that happens to have some guns, but I'm not the only one. Making it a bland shooter could kill just as much population as the previous mistakes did. When do they rework rein to make his hammer shoot little orbs?

That said, the beta was still pretty fun. It just didn't feel as dynamic. You just aim the your slightly nuanced damage mechanic at the tank that is on a rampage and use sight lines to avoid the other team.

it's a weird change because the distinctiveness and significant asymmetry of the characters is Overwatch's defining characteristic and is the big thing that sets it aside from every other hero shooter with ults. It's surreal to se them suggest getting rid of that. Like people who wanted a level playing field between heroes are playing other games that are built that way from the ground up. OW has kept a devoted core of people who relish the asymmetry.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

adhuin posted:

Did she mention how much the Kunai headshots do?

120 I think, and yes, she was hunting supports on route 66 and using the teleport as a get out of jail card.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It is funny that Blizzard basically said the same thing I posted here before the announcement but putting the new character 69% (lol) into the battlepass is complete garbage. If the weekly exp is budgeted for the average player to complete the pass in 8-9 weeks, that's 5-6 weeks which is nuts when a new Valorant agent takes 7-10 days.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's a weird change because the distinctiveness and significant asymmetry of the characters is Overwatch's defining characteristic and is the big thing that sets it aside from every other hero shooter with ults. It's surreal to se them suggest getting rid of that. Like people who wanted a level playing field between heroes are playing other games that are built that way from the ground up. OW has kept a devoted core of people who relish the asymmetry.

It's also constantly been a major friction point between how the game is designed and how people actually want to play. Giving characters distinct designs and personalities means those traits have equal weight to actual gameplay considerations for players. Combine that with how important ultimates are and switching characters feels awful even when it's objectively the correct choice. Even besides that, I don't think "they picked character x so I'm picking character y" makes for particularly engaging gameplay either.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reminding people that in overwatch league, teams would scout at the start of rounds for the enemy comp and switch to what they thought was the best counter-comp

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

was playing some ow1 and they should really add some like optional foghorn sound when someone hits the i need heal button

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

God this grind sounds awful, though it's interesting if commendations give you XP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgTpHtwbPpc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So you can't play Competitive at all until you have did 2/3rds of the bi-monthly grind AND on top of that you can't play Competitive first 1/5th of every season?

If they want to force me to play game without a role queue then they can gently caress right off.
I've quit the game once because it didn't have role queue, I'll quit it again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wait a loving minute, how the gently caress will open queue game modes work when one of the roles is purposefully overpowered?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack Trades posted:

So you can't play Competitive at all until you have did 2/3rds of the bi-monthly grind AND on top of that you can't play Competitive first 1/5th of every season?

If they want to force me to play game without a role queue then they can gently caress right off.
I've quit the game once because it didn't have role queue, I'll quit it again.

That was the 4chan leak. From what they’ve said yesterday, instead of locking competitive for 2 weeks they’ll only lock the new character for 2 weeks so that they can put out a balance patch or two after checking player feedback. You can play competitive even without all the characters unlocked, which is why they added the part where they say they’ll be trying to not make any character a hard counter in the future.

Based on beta, both Roll Queue and Open Queue are still in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Proven posted:

That was the 4chan leak. From what they’ve said yesterday, instead of locking competitive for 2 weeks they’ll only lock the new character for 2 weeks so that they can put out a balance patch or two after checking player feedback. You can play competitive even without all the characters unlocked, which is why they added the part where they say they’ll be trying to not make any character a hard counter in the future.

Based on beta, both Roll Queue and Open Queue are still in.

Oh, yeah, you're right, I did mix those up.

It'll still take more than 2 weeks to grind for the new heroes though so I'm looking forward to
"We need Kiriko to counter their Ana/JQ!"
"I haven't unlocked her."
"Why are you playing competitive then go kill yourself!"
conversations in every match.

I will believe the "we don't want any heroes to require specific counters" part once they completely change how Pharah works.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 16, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Proven posted:

You can play competitive even without all the characters unlocked, which is why they added the part where they say they’ll be trying to not make any character a hard counter in the future.

Incredible.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Was Brig considered a counter for the game as a whole?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I would be more inclined to give blizzard a benefit of a doubt if they had ever balanced Overwatch well at any point in time.

They should just move to a pick and ban system if this is the future setup for Overwatch because then you can be like league and just ban the overpowered new character.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I always found countering kind of tilting because, if I was getting shut down by a hero, switched to their supposed counter, and then was still losing then it was just a huge sign In was being out played, even if it eas the case that originally it was the match out and NOW, now that I've switched, now it's a matter of skill because I rarely play the second character.

I really think I'm better staying as my main and just trying to play bad match ups.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I play mostly support so would switch when I realised my lovely Ana gameplay wasn't getting anywhere and it'd be better to just go with raw healing output from Moira and hope my team actually lived. Or when I got sick of being dived with no help from anyway so gently caress it, brig time. The first was just "I'm not good enough for this", the second was generally hard counter against Doomfist or Ball. And yes I realise that Ana should also work for this but that would mean actually hitting sleeps.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

"Unless we release a tank who is also Ana and Lucio and Brigitte and a little bit of Roadhog"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

actually hitting sleeps.

Hitting sleep darts is the easy part.
Stopping your teammates from waking them up is the hard mode. :argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never forced myself to play Ana if I had to. This is part of why I was hardstuck high plat/diamond, probably. Lol.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes you can't hit a shot and get dove on endlessly and feel helpless, but man the good Ana games are super gratifying. The lucky 180 snap sleep dart canceling an ult in your face, three tapping a Pharah as soon as she pops up, turning a whole team purple in the middle of their transcendence, etc. Second only to the games you get to absolutely roll as Rein maybe.

And then some matches it's just a boring slog of pumping heals into the fat rear end of your hard-feeding tank till they push way past any hope you have of maintaining LOS.

In summary, Ana is a land of contrasts.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ana is incredibly fun and every support should have her skill ceiling imo

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I always found countering kind of tilting because, if I was getting shut down by a hero, switched to their supposed counter, and then was still losing then it was just a huge sign In was being out played, even if it eas the case that originally it was the match out and NOW, now that I've switched, now it's a matter of skill because I rarely play the second character.

I really think I'm better staying as my main and just trying to play bad match ups.
Love when I've got the point locked down on defense as Symmetra and halfway through stunting on the enemy team someone brings out a Winston (who they rarely know how to play). I'm inside your head, dog!!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stylosa has broken it down and it turns out you'll only have 540 coins if you do all of the battlepass, which isn't enough to buy a battlepass. So battlepass will always have a cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_rleH7sQM

The tldr is that you have to pay at least $30 per year for all the battlepasses even with grinding for coins. More if you don't grind.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
didn't they explicitly state that isn't how it was going to be? or maybe it was a situation where so many people speculated that it was the case that it just became accepted as the truth (by me)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Stylosa has broken it down and it turns out you'll only have 540 coins if you do all of the battlepass, which isn't enough to buy a battlepass. So battlepass will always have a cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_rleH7sQM

The tldr is that you have to pay at least $30 per year for all the battlepasses even with grinding for coins. More if you don't grind.

At least they sell a 500 coiner pack for $5. So... grind to get the 540 coins from the BP, then drop another $5 of real monies to get the next one. Ehhh, lol.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So Brig doesn't stun but now deals 50 on a charge and procs her heal. You DPS backfield mains, how much would that really deter you? I haven't actually played in a while but my memory is thet both her flail DPS and her heal rate aren't really enough to let her straight trade blows with people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
M1 + whip + bash still kills tracer, though it leaves other dps barely alive.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I assume there will be separate BPs for seasonal events with extra coins each season, they couldn't be stupid enough to bungle the launch that badly.

Oh goodness, separate premium BPs for each seasonal event! I hadn't even considered that, it's devious!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Father Wendigo posted:

I assume there will be separate BPs for seasonal events with extra coins each season, they couldn't be stupid enough to bungle the launch that badly.

Oh goodness, separate premium BPs for each seasonal event! I hadn't even considered that, it's devious!

From that infographic, it seems at least the Halloween event will just be part of the 1st BP season

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

540 Coins are from the weekly goals.
There is also Daily, season, lifetime and hero goals, which might give you coins too.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Father Wendigo posted:

The trailer also mentioned "Weekly Bundles" on top of everything else.
I mean, it's not a surprise, this is how those shops work these days, but lol and good luck if you want to keep your collection complete.

Oh wait, luck has nothing to do with it anymore. :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There’s a cool looking Gundam overwatch clone coming out like 2 weeks before so I’m going to jump ship and try the cool Gundam game

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Just want to confirm, have they said what the coins in OW1 will translate to? Will it not work on anything OW2 related? tried reading their OW2 Battle Pass explainer but it didn't really say.

Also what about OWL coins?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Just want to confirm, have they said what the coins in OW1 will translate to? Will it not work on anything OW2 related? tried reading their OW2 Battle Pass explainer but it didn't really say.

Also what about OWL coins?

quote:

Original Overwatch Credits will carry over into Overwatch 2 for players to use in the hero gallery on core launch cosmetics for new heroes. For example, each of Kiriko, Junker Queen, and Sojourn have 2 legendary, 1 epic, and a few rare skins available to purchase with either Credits or the new Coins. In addition, original Overwatch Credits can be used to buy other always-available items in the Hero Gallery for the 32 original heroes and some launch items in new cosmetic classes (for example 5 new Weapon Charms) as well.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

There’s a cool looking Gundam overwatch clone coming out like 2 weeks before so I’m going to jump ship and try the cool Gundam game

I'm going to play both and switch between them whenever I'm mad at one of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The maps were terrible in the beta but that was made up for by there being no MMO roles, just varying types of utility tied to a DPS baseline functionality.

It just felt less frustrating to play, even if you needed to learn how to counter Barbatos and fast.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The new Sojourn skin looks like it's based on Vasquez from the movie Aliens, and I'm absolutely here for that. I'm genuinely surprised that Soldier 76 hasn't had any Aliens inspired costumes by now.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 17, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zarya has sorely needed a Vasquez skin since launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Video Games > Overwatch: Game over man, game over