Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Had a steamdeck preorder since end of June. Had a jump of 10.11 Monday and today went up 15.01% , sitting at 96.17 percent. Looking like I'll be able to get my order in on Monday. Anything I should know in advance about the deck before then ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

fit em all up in there posted:

Had a steamdeck preorder since end of June. Had a jump of 10.11 Monday and today went up 15.01% , sitting at 96.17 percent. Looking like I'll be able to get my order in on Monday. Anything I should know in advance about the deck before then ?

it's very good and you should enjoy it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

worms butthole guy posted:

Are there any games worth playing from itch.io?

Yes of course. It's a huge storefront. If you bought any of the huge bundles in the last couple of years you might have hundreds of games over there.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I placed a second deposit for another Steam Deck.
I paid for the first one (except for $30) with all of my CSGO skins.

My wife wanted one.
Guess I had to dig into the CSGO vault and sell more of my prized possessions.

30 minutes later, we have this:

Hers was $20 short, with tax ended up costing me like $70.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I seriously cannot believe how easy it is to get emulators and poo poo running on this thing. I was pretty annoyed Nintendo didn't announce a Metroid Prime Remaster the other day, so this has been a nice development.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

HopperUK posted:

Yes of course. It's a huge storefront. If you bought any of the huge bundles in the last couple of years you might have hundreds of games over there.

i have a bunch of itch.io games installed on the deck from the bundle but i can't get them to launch unless i'm using the desktop mode

it was supposed to be so seamless :negative:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Itch.io launcher has a linux client but it sucks. Often it will just download a zip of the the game and you'll have to unzip and add it to your library manually. If you bought one of those huge bundles, a substantial number of the games don't run on linux and you'll have to download the windows version anyway, which is not supported and requires a work-around. The linux client doesn't run in Game Mode either. Don't use it.

The best solution I've seen is Alfae. It requires you to install the itch.io games in desktop mode but you can choose the windows or linux versions(when available) and launch the games from Game Mode. It also supports Epic and GOG.

Then I use Lutris for Humble Bundle and Amazon games. I bet within a year there will be a more user-friendly solution that can launch from all those stores combined.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 16, 2022

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

here’s a pro tip: if you open steam settings in desktop mode and go to controller -> desktop configuration you can set right and left click to left and right trigger which is a million times better than clicking the trackpads

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Yeah. The trackpads are fine for when nothing else will work well, but they destroy your thumb joints. For desktop I'd much rather use left stick to move the mouse, triggers for clicking, and right stick for scrolling up and down.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

What are these percentages and where are people getting them?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You and me both buddy, june 20th pre-order, should hit next monday crossing fingers!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

PageMaster posted:

What are these percentages and where are people getting them?

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

We also might only be a month or so away from the percentages not being relevant. Recent order drops have been twice-weekly and dealt with 20-30 days worth of orders, so Valve are really chewing through the backlog. Although I guess orders could outstrip production again as we get closer to Christmas.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Just a heads up for anyone interested: Judgement seems to run pretty ok on the Deck (medium settings, FSR 2.0 @ Quality, FPS capped at 40) :toot:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The deck is good but I am really not big on the plastics they used in it's construction. I'm really sensitive to these things I think. The body is fine enough, albeit pretty rough and kinda cheap feeling, which makes hand oil stand out. But my god, the track pads make my skin crawl kinda like I'm eating an M&M and the outer coating is starting to dissolve to reveal the gritty layer underneath. loving blech! Yeah I think I have OCD before you ask.

The sticks are kind of dreadful, at least in texture. I was about to write them off as being complete trash but today I was playing Aperture Desk Job and realized the stick tops are touch sensitive, like you need to be in contact to engage gyro. Cool I guess, but I question it's implementation over something more standard. I'm still unfamiliar with the device so maybe there are aspects I don't grasp. But from a tactile sense perspective, choosing trackpad material over a textured rubber is like an "oh God why" decision. It's made even worse by having a kind of "diamondy sandpaper" border on the edge of the top of the stick.

Ok uh sorry rant over. I'm usually pretty alone in these assessments. Otherwise this hardware is really cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wilkins Micawber posted:

the outer coating is starting to dissolve to reveal the gritty layer underneath.

wtf wash your hands

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wilkins Micawber posted:

The deck is good but I am really not big on the plastics they used in it's construction. I'm really sensitive to these things I think. The body is fine enough, albeit pretty rough and kinda cheap feeling, which makes hand oil stand out. But my god, the track pads make my skin crawl kinda like I'm eating an M&M and the outer coating is starting to dissolve to reveal the gritty layer underneath. loving blech! Yeah I think I have KFC before you ask.

fixed

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

wtf

Not really related, but you know that vibratey-current effect produced when some devices are plugged into an iffy charger? Very glad that the deck's got none of that.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mega64 posted:

Also, is it possible/how much of a pain is it to play games on other services like EGS/GoG/itch.io?

GOG and EGS aren't too bad with Heroic Launcher. There are two main issues though:

1. You have to open Heroic Launcher to trigger cloud sync, which means that if you launch a game shortcut straight from steam your progress won't be synced.
2. Performance for demanding games is worse than running the steam version as you won't benefit from shader caching.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish they would add the option to put Bluetooth in the hotbar on top so I didn't have to dig through the menus to reconnect a device when it fails to do it automatically.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Wilkins Micawber posted:

But my god, the track pads make my skin crawl kinda like I'm eating an M&M and the outer coating is starting to dissolve to reveal the gritty layer underneath.

I get it. I'm with you. I'm not quite at the full skin crawl with them, but find them very unpleasant to touch, that horrible roughness just feels like grating my thumb.

There are dozens of us.

(see also: the noise of someone rubbing a guitar string, anything to do with corduroy trousers)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m triple dipping on persona 5 just to play it on my deck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Assuming you're counting vanilla, Royal on PS4, and Royal on Steam, I'm considering it too, though I'll probably wait for a sale. I haven't even played the PS4 copy of Royal I picked up for $20 on Black Friday 2020 yet.

Honestly I've been considering just selling my PS4 recently. I never use it anymore, there isn't really anything I want that's still PlayStation exclusive, and it's just taking up space. It'll be the first console I've sold in roughly 20 years. I'm just not sure what a good price for a used base model PS4 is, or if there's even any real demand for one.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

wtf

Not really related, but you know that vibratey-current effect produced when some devices are plugged into an iffy charger? Very glad that the deck's got none of that.

That’s an electric shock. Throw out your iffy chargers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I get that with my MacBook with an apple charger. Wonder if it's due to the metal body.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I get that with my MacBook with an apple charger. Wonder if it's due to the metal body.

bad wiring wherever you're plugging it in i'd say

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Another windows update, another broken custom boot :rip:

Beginning to think I should just skip the custom boot loader for now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Need to figure out how to disable windows updates forever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm sensitive to texture too (autistic I think) and the deck feels great to me, thank goodness. I'd be so sad if it hit my buttons! Sorry friends

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have permanent brain worms that make me update everything anytime an update is available even though I know it will break poo poo. At this point I keep a windows creation tool USB stick with meto restore windows on the Deck anytime I update and break things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You have to buy Win 11 Pro lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

You have to buy Win 11 Pro lol

I bought a key for €4 :hehe:

e: it worked, DM me if anyone wants to know from where, dunno if it's considered dodgy or not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have permanent brain worms that make me update everything anytime an update is available even though I know it will break poo poo.

this is me with all my ios and mac devices lol.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
PoE on the deck is a fuckin dream. love spending half a grand to play a free game in bed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone recommend this for a good charger? I just looked up "Anker MacBook charger" and it lokks solid enough.
It should work, but it's probably overkill. I'd recommend the Anker 713 (Nano II 45W) or 715 (Nano II 65W). Those two will perform identically on the deck and are essentially the same size. Occasionally the 65W model goes on sale, as it is right now, so it's currently $5 cheaper than the 45W.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Foul Fowl posted:

PoE on the deck is a fuckin dream. love spending half a grand to play a free game in bed.
Let me tell you about the time I bought it for $40 on the Switch.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
path of exile, not pillars of eternity lol, but condolences on getting burned by the garbage switch port scam. i instantly knew which game you were talking about.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Path on the deck? I have like 4k hours played on PC, it's hard to imagine doing it handheld now. My PC was starting to show its age with PoE too, how does it run when you have delirium fog and lots of mobs?

Also I broke like a 3 year addiction to that game and haven't played for a year, maybe I shouldn't think about this lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tenkaris posted:

Path on the deck? I have like 4k hours played on PC, it's hard to imagine doing it handheld now.

Also I broke like a 3 year addiction to that game and haven't played for a year, maybe I shouldn't think about this lol

I played rf inquis mostly on the deck last league and it's pretty good. It actually runs better than it does on my PC lol. But also I found that I'd rather just play other genres that are better suited for controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Foul Fowl posted:

How are you controlling it?