Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Hagar and fusion-Montrose is dope, Toto's discography is fire.

There. It's settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

If it was the first two Montrose with Sammy Hagar you have bad taste :mad:

Any of the others are understandable.

It was the first four I think, and none of them were particularly great. Listened to a couple songs from Open Fire, it seems much better.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I listened to Open Fire the other day, I dig it.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Grabbed another interesting one while I had the camera out

Really wish someone wouldnt have slapped a sticker on it :argh:

Most record shops I've known use lighter fluid, specifically Ronsonol, to remove stickers. Soak the sticker with a q-tip/cotton ball/paper towel, let it sit, and then gently remove the sticker and any remaining goo. Ronsonol dries completely and doesn't leave a stain on the cover.

Make sure you don't get lighter fluid on a record, tho.

edit: I've also heard that a hairdryer will work, but I've never tried it.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 16, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They’re gonna be expensive as hell imports, but gently caress yeah Yello is reissuing a bunch of albums including the early Ralph Records releases. I’ve been searching for a copy of Solid Pleasure FOREVER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL771b_5AlM

:dance:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Pretzellogic posted:

Most record shops I've known use lighter fluid, specifically Ronsonol, to remove stickers. Soak the sticker with a q-tip/cotton ball/paper towel, let it sit, and then gently remove the sticker and any remaining goo. Ronsonol dries completely and doesn't leave a stain on the cover.

Make sure you don't get lighter fluid on a record, tho.

edit: I've also heard that a hairdryer will work, but I've never tried it.

I've successfully used rubbing alcohol for this. The tricky thing is album covers are made from all different types of paper and have all different kinds of texture so I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. At this point if I can't easily peel the sticker off without damaging the cover I just leave it on. This doesn't account for previous owners putting labels on with their names and stuff but a lot of dealers use stickers that come off easily and don't rip the paper or leave behind a residue.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I've successfully used rubbing alcohol for this. The tricky thing is album covers are made from all different types of paper and have all different kinds of texture so I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. At this point if I can't easily peel the sticker off without damaging the cover I just leave it on. This doesn't account for previous owners putting labels on with their names and stuff but a lot of dealers use stickers that come off easily and don't rip the paper or leave behind a residue.

Yeah, sometimes you just have to leave them on and hope somebody appreciates the aesthetic.

Scored big at the Goodwill, found a complete Wagner's Ring and a complete like 16-record set of Bach's compleat organ music for $5, all appearing in very good or better condition.

And I have had my brain fried by collecting, apparently. I found this dumb exercise bike record with a goofy psychedelic cover and I can't stop cussing myself for not buying it, instead of stuff I know is good to listen to that I chose over the novelty record.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got my collector brain to calm down somewhat, not exactly sure how I did it but I think it's partially due to finally having a collecting budget.

I see the cam sites are back to spamming discogs users today.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

I got my collector brain to calm down somewhat, not exactly sure how I did it but I think it's partially due to finally having a collecting budget.

Ah, well, things are on the mend. Gentlemen, to business!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Lighter fluid works but it feels weird using it. A few drops and the sticker should practically fall off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Yeah, sometimes you just have to leave them on and hope somebody appreciates the aesthetic.

Scored big at the Goodwill, found a complete Wagner's Ring and a complete like 16-record set of Bach's compleat organ music for $5, all appearing in very good or better condition.

And I have had my brain fried by collecting, apparently. I found this dumb exercise bike record with a goofy psychedelic cover and I can't stop cussing myself for not buying it, instead of stuff I know is good to listen to that I chose over the novelty record.

This probably sounds corny but I kinda like the stickers or names written on them sometimes. It's like the record has a history. IT's cool to think about how many times the records have changed hands over the years. If there are two copies of the same record in the same condition and one has a beat up cover I'll obviously choose the nicer cover. But if you want a nice pristine album cover then don't buy records that are decades old I guess.

Turbinosamente posted:

I stopped buying silly poo poo because space is really at a premium so even if it's a dollar or something I have to pass it up simply because I don't have the room for goofy crap I'm never going to play.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

This probably sounds corny but I kinda like the stickers or names written on them sometimes. It's like the record has a history. IT's cool to think about how many times the records have changed hands over the years. If there are two copies of the same record in the same condition and one has a beat up cover I'll obviously choose the nicer cover. But if you want a nice pristine album cover then don't buy records that are decades old I guess.

I stopped buying silly poo poo because space is really at a premium so even if it's a dollar or something I have to pass it up simply because I don't have the room for goofy crap I'm never going to play.

Agree on both points.

My record collecting has slowed to a glacial pace due to not really wanting to give up any more space to records. I could cull the collection a little bit but there's very little I have that I don't still want and/or actively listen to but... effort.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I find the ones I have been culling are mostly the thrift store level "this looks amusing" ones and they're going right back out. I'm motivated because I have a couple records coming from Australia that I really do want, and want to make space in the form of more going out than in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get leaving the imperfections. One of my favorite video game cartridges is a Japanese copy of snes street fighter that has the original owners name scrawled on it with sharpie in Japanese.

I’m leaving it there.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Pretty good weekend:

CPL593H posted:

With you on this one; I only remove price stickers (and occasionally pot seeds). Otherwise, whatever's stuck/written on there stays. It's part of collecting old things: you're almost always collecting someone else's collection. I've always enjoyed whatever history comes with a personalized album. For instance, the Nazz album above came with some nice handwritten lyrics:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think I posted about this but a couple months back I got some old comedy records at Savers and they were both signed by the comic and personalized. And one of them had a press release and his agent's business card with some handwritten notes on it. It was kind of neat. I'll take some pictures when I'm not being lazy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

got a copy of ghosteen and one of space age batchelor pad music at the dying mall which weirdly has a fye with a decent (albeit overpriced) record selection yesterday

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You love to see it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You love to see it

I suppose I'm still new enough to vinyl to not exactly know what's going on here. It seems like the needle is still touching the record. Is it playing fine despite being severely warped? Or is it skipping like crazy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, sounds like garbage, and in certain places the warping is enough that the record will hit the back of the cartridge and lift the needle off the record.

It was a "why not?" purchase from the goodwill $0.99 pile because the cover caught my eye and I'm pretty likely to take a risk on 70's funk albums, so I'm not mad about it, its just ridiculous how warped they can get.

Also, this record seems extremely thin and flimsy in general though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 19, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Went clasical:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You love to see it

Reminds of that time an old co-worker of mine subscribed to VNYL and they sent her this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCf-F8uBdzA

Mister Kingdom posted:

Went clasical:

I got this version for uhhh... reasons.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Reminds of that time an old co-worker of mine subscribed to VNYL and they sent her this:

That's actually the rare potato chip variant. It's highly sought after by collectors she really lucked out.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It's almost a perfect match for her Crosley.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It's almost a perfect match for her Crosley.

I wasn't going to say it because I've bene trying real hard to not be such a fountain of negativity.

But I thought it. I thought it really hard.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don’t worry I’ve told her the same thing. She did subscribe to VNYL after all.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

No vinyl, but I just saw The Avalanches live and hoooooooooooolyshit. :asoiaf:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

This is the only Avalanches song I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d_de2as3I

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ballz posted:

I got this version for uhhh... reasons.

That is a WILD cover, the more I look at it the more I find lol

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

pwn posted:

This is the only Avalanches song I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d_de2as3I

:bigwhat:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I was there too! Between that show and Of Montreal on Saturday, I'm flying high.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

I'm finally seeing them in a few weeks and I'm super excited.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Speaking of stopping buying silly poo poo...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

I was there too! Between that show and Of Montreal on Saturday, I'm flying high.
Fun fact: if by chance you saw someone sobbing like a baby when they dropped Hammond Song at the end, chances are it was probably me. :wave:

Barry posted:

I'm finally seeing them in a few weeks and I'm super excited.
Oh boy, you are in for it!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Fun fact: if by chance you saw someone sobbing like a baby when they dropped Hammond Song at the end, chances are it was probably me. :wave:

Hahaha well the good news is you weren't alone - the crowd was pretty amazing and everyone around me was feeling it extra hard for that whole encore.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Oh boy, you are in for it!

I have been waiting to see them for SO LONG that I'll only believe it when they're performing right in front of me.

2016 - They were supposed to play Pitchfork, they didn't.
2017 - They were supposed to play Pitchfork, they cancelled at the absolute last minute. I don't remember the reason.
2021 - Bought tickets for this show, which was supposed to be in February 2022
2022 - February pushed back until 10/1.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Don’t worry I’ve told her the same thing. She did subscribe to VNYL after all.

I was hoping the crosley was a junker turntable for testing questionable thrift store finds. Wish I could find the old video of someone going into the original VNYL store where they had sections set up by vibe and the employee is just clueless. LOL here is kinda an example. #DANCEPARTY ... Peter Paul and Mary. I know their model is completely different now but their original (illegal) rental model paired with them sending out $1 records to people is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnouXJ2rl4

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sporklift posted:

I was hoping the crosley was a junker turntable for testing questionable thrift store finds. Wish I could find the old video of someone going into the original VNYL store where they had sections set up by vibe and the employee is just clueless. LOL here is kinda an example. #DANCEPARTY ... Peter Paul and Mary. I know their model is completely different now but their original (illegal) rental model paired with them sending out $1 records to people is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnouXJ2rl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/vnyl.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Thank you.

Haha holy poo poo that is bad. Still grifters I see. Kinda surprised they aren't pushing NFTs of album art or something.