Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

There are people who happen to identify more with the workers than with the cops, who feel very left, yet who have personality disorders (or just personality types, as Gittinger and the CIA looked for) of a predatory nature. Their brains short circuit when they think about COVID victims and the role of transmission. That thought simply doesn't mesh with their internal narrative that only others (rulers) can commit harm, and I'm not a ruler; ergo anything I want to do is fair game. If my actions ever hurt anyone then it wasn't that bad, and if they were then it wasn't a big deal, or not my fault, or else they deserved it -- the narcissist's prayer. Every humanitarian group needs to watch out for these in their ranks. The military understood the crucial effects malignant personality types have on organizations. Don't sit passively and allow them to shape yours.

c-spam is not a humanitarian group or organization, and therefore does not need to police who's in their "ranks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Vape covid beta testing was entertaining but it never really made sense on multiple levels and relied on a virus of arbitrary deadliness and infectivity, a virus of the gaps if you will

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

for real. Opposing viewpoints make forums better

This is a terrible blanket statement. We're not debating the merits and virtues of cats vs dogs itt and we don't need anyone here doing something like say for example, denying the holocaust simply because we need to give Equal Sides

nut
Jul 30, 2019

smarxist posted:

oh yeah, the "vaping illness" where like what? 15? 25? people dropped dead in a few weeks from "vaping"

what the gently caress was that

I spent way too much time reading EVALI publications like two years ago to make a lame effortpost, but briefly once a patient admitted to vaping it was classified as a vaping disease and if the patient didn’t vape the doctors more often than not assumed they were lying and made it a vaping disease, which made it impossible to ask what if someone presented with the symptoms of EVALI and genuinely never vaped (or if that was even possible). the best I could come up with was that EVALI presented kind of like pneumonia, but there was a huge effort to cordon it off as it’s own thing until a couple weeks later cdc said they weren’t tracking it anymore

nut
Jul 30, 2019

on that note, I don’t think there was any tie to COVID besides timing or I didn’t see anything convincing

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is a terrible blanket statement. We're not debating the merits and virtues of cats vs dogs itt and we don't need anyone here doing something like say for example, denying the holocaust simply because we need to give Equal Sides

yeah, this isnt D&D

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Chad Jihad posted:

Vape covid beta testing was entertaining but it never really made sense on multiple levels and relied on a virus of arbitrary deadliness and infectivity, a virus of the gaps if you will

I've never understood why people vaping dumb poo poo and/or capitalism producing unsafe vape carts and/or devices wasn't sufficient to explain what happened there.

No shade on people who vape, just saying that capitalist pressure causing lovely harmful products to make it to customers seems far more likely.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

the CIA is bad

vs

no it isn't

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
It's just interesting that in summer 2019, in the months leading up to the official start of the pandemic, hundreds of people were being affected by a pneumonia of unkown origin (the CDC admitted that the etiology is still unknown) and after the pandemic the cases drop off massively. In addition the this the selection criteria for EVALI were stratified such that it only included people under a certain age who had vaped in the previous 90 days, which meant that people who presented with the same symptoms (eg ground glass opacities in the lungs) were excluded purely on the basis that they were young and didn't vape. See why this might be problematic? Lastly the US govt apparently refuses to test the EVALI samples for presence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies which would put all this speculation to bed once and for all

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm not going to sit here and provide bolstering evidence for the arguments I've already made. They are everywhere now really and you can find them on your own if you care to. Maybe I will at some other time, I don't know, there's stuff in Nature, NEJM, BMJ now I could point to to satisfy your institutional-mindedness.

I'm gonna address this bit of wonk here:

maxwellhill posted:

There are people who happen to identify more with the workers than with the cops, who feel very left, yet who have personality disorders (or just personality types, as Gittinger and the CIA looked for) of a predatory nature. Their brains short circuit when they think about COVID victims and the role of transmission. That thought simply doesn't mesh with their internal narrative that only others (rulers) can commit harm, and I'm not a ruler; ergo anything I want to do is fair game. If my actions ever hurt anyone then it wasn't that bad, and if they were then it wasn't a big deal, or not my fault, or else they deserved it -- the narcissist's prayer. Every humanitarian group needs to watch out for these in their ranks. The military understood the crucial effects malignant personality types have on organizations. Don't sit passively and allow them to shape yours.

Its critical that the error committed here is understood. We are now in a post-Roe society, a ruling which dealt exactly in notions of harm and personal liberty. The finding of the court is, in sum, that an individual cannot knowingly harm life or potential life - not even through negligence. Now this is a huge loving problem for all of us here! We are all always doing harm to actually existing life and potential life!

Every single poster here, in all of C-SPAM, has six or seven slaves in the global south. They made your shoes, your clothes, they mined the minerals in your computer, picked your food, etc. And every poster here is always doing harm to potential life or potentially harming a life by BREATHING, yes, by not financially supporting pregnant neighbors, say, or by emitting CO2 from their tailpipe. And on ad infinitum.

This is not about ethical consumption under capitalism type poo poo either. This is about harm, what harm is permissible, and civil liberties, what liberties can and can't or should or shouldn't be restricted. The trade has always been freedom for security. Or more accurately the ILLUSION of security. No I won't be apologizing for my choice. And I'm not asking for an apology from those who made or make a different either - only requesting that people take full stock and accounting of everything that's occurred.

I may or may not do some follow-up megapost (I'll run it by a mod first) to the positions I've forwarded here RE: COVID but likely not as penetrating the miasmic ideology of the COVID thread likely warrants an entire book.

As a last point I do understand your meaning Futanari Damacy and it's not without merit but it's worth pointing out that I got a massive probe from GBS mods for "genocide denial" a long while ago ... I was telling the truth (giving the non-Nazi, sovietologist account) about Holodomor. I had similar discussions about the so-called crimes of the USSR in some probably D&D thread about authoritarianism. So something like the Holocaust is perfectly settled in its historicity but this is rare and, like, a bad faith example. In the case of the Holocaust the working class won the truth. Not so for a huge number of things.

That notwithstanding it's always better not to censor anyone so you have, at least, a record of their ideology (assuming here there is nothing whatsoever meritorious in their analysis/theory/critique). This happened with David Duke's gubernatorial race. Duke entered the race and strongly downplayed his fervent white supremacy in his ads, debates, stump speeches, etc. His opponent would not be able to nail him to the wall as a disgusting white supremacist relying solely on Duke's political output/materials. Fortunately Duke had been allowed to publish and disseminate his repulsive Speech and all his opponent had to do was begin quoting at length from Duke's book. There was no wiggle room or ambiguity left, he had put it in ink for time immemorial.

Edit: and it should go without saying that CSPAM is neither a political party nor a revolutionary organization so this stuff about "entering your ranks" is literally cosplaying

Edit:: by the way here is Marx on the topic, for those actually existing Marxist orgs and CSPAMMERS fancying themselves Marxists to refer to:

"The human body is mortal by nature. Hence illnesses are inevitable. Why does a man only go to the doctor when he is ill, and not when he is well? Because not only the illness, but even the doctor is an evil. Under constant medical tutelage, life would be regarded as an evil and the human body as an object for treatment by medical institutions. Is not death more desirable than life that is a mere preventive measure against death? Does not life involve also free movement? What is any illness except life that is hampered in its freedom? A perpetual physician would be an illness in which one would not even have the prospect of dying, but only of living. Let life die; death must not live. Has not the spirit more right than the body? Of course, this right has often been interpreted to mean that for minds capable of free motion physical freedom of movement is even harmful and therefore they are to be deprived of it. The starting point of the censorship is that illness is the normal state, or that the normal state, freedom, is to be regarded as an illness.”

— Karl Marx, Rheinische Zeitung
№132, Supplement
May 12 1842

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Sep 16, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I've never understood why people vaping dumb poo poo and/or capitalism producing unsafe vape carts and/or devices wasn't sufficient to explain what happened there.

No shade on people who vape, just saying that capitalist pressure causing lovely harmful products to make it to customers seems far more likely.

i think it's mostly the timing

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Perry Mason Jar posted:

As a last point I do understand your meaning Dickgirl Videogame and it's not without merit but...

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

wrong thread

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not going to sit here and provide bolstering evidence for the arguments I've already made. They are everywhere now really and you can find them on your own if you care to. Maybe I will at some other time, I don't know, there's stuff in Nature, NEJM, BMJ now I could point to to satisfy your institutional-mindedness.

Its critical that the error committed here is understood. We are now in a post-Roe society, a ruling which dealt exactly in notions of harm and personal liberty. The finding of the court is, in sum, that an individual cannot knowingly harm life or potential life - not even through negligence. Now this is a huge loving problem for all of us here! We are all always doing harm to actually existing life and potential life!

Every single poster here, in all of C-SPAM, has six or seven slaves in the global south. They made your shoes, your clothes, they mined the minerals in your computer, picked your food, etc. And every poster here is always doing harm to potential life or potentially harming a life by BREATHING, yes, by not financially supporting pregnant neighbors, say, or by emitting CO2 from their tailpipe. And on ad infinitum.

This is not about ethical consumption under capitalism type poo poo either. This is about harm, what harm is permissible, and civil liberties, what liberties can and can't or should or shouldn't be restricted. The trade has always been freedom for security. Or more accurately the ILLUSION of security. No I won't be apologizing for my choice. And I'm not asking for an apology from those who made or make a different either - only requesting that people take full stock and accounting of everything that's occurred.

I may or may not do some follow-up megapost (I'll run it by a mod first) to the positions I've forwarded here RE: COVID but likely not as penetrating the miasmic ideology of the COVID thread likely warrants an entire book.

As a last point I do understand your meaning Futanari Damacy and it's not without merit but it's worth pointing out that I got a massive probe from GBS mods for "genocide denial" a long while ago ... I was telling the truth (giving the non-Nazi, sovietologist account) about Holodomor. I had similar discussions about the so-called crimes of the USSR in some probably D&D thread about authoritarianism. So something like the Holocaust is perfectly settled in its historicity but this is rare and, like, a bad faith example. In the case of the Holocaust the working class won the truth. Not so for a huge number of things.

That notwithstanding it's always better not to censor anyone so you have, at least, a record of their ideology (assuming here there is nothing whatsoever meritorious in their analysis/theory/critique). This happened with David Duke's gubernatorial race. Duke entered the race and strongly downplayed his fervent white supremacy in his ads, debates, stump speeches, etc. His opponent would not be able to nail him to the wall as a disgusting white supremacist relying solely on Duke's political output/materials. Fortunately Duke had been allowed to publish and disseminate his repulsive Speech and all his opponent had to do was begin quoting at length from Duke's book. There was no wiggle room or ambiguity left, he had put it in ink for time immemorial.

Edit: and it should go without saying that CSPAM is neither a political party nor a revolutionary organization so this stuff about "entering your ranks" is literally cosplaying

Edit:: by the way here is Marx on the topic, for those actually existing Marxist orgs and CSPAMMERS fancying themselves Marxists to refer to:

"The human body is mortal by nature. Hence illnesses are inevitable. Why does a man only go to the doctor when he is ill, and not when he is well? Because not only the illness, but even the doctor is an evil. Under constant medical tutelage, life would be regarded as an evil and the human body as an object for treatment by medical institutions. Is not death more desirable than life that is a mere preventive measure against death? Does not life involve also free movement? What is any illness except life that is hampered in its freedom? A perpetual physician would be an illness in which one would not even have the prospect of dying, but only of living. Let life die; death must not live. Has not the spirit more right than the body? Of course, this right has often been interpreted to mean that for minds capable of free motion physical freedom of movement is even harmful and therefore they are to be deprived of it. The starting point of the censorship is that illness is the normal state, or that the normal state, freedom, is to be regarded as an illness.”

№132, Supplement
May 12 1842

haven't read this yet, but pre-emptive "PMJ is right"

edit: confirmed

mark immune has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Sep 16, 2022

nut
Jul 30, 2019

always happy with pmj here and i'm dumb and don't know what that quote is necessarily getting at but i'd say a marxist can exist who thinks medicine to prevent someone from dying from illness isn't bad. i also wouldn't consider illness as "evil" tho tbf

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The crux of it, its best summary, is contained in: "What is any illness except life that is hampered in its freedom?"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

wut

nut
Jul 30, 2019

oh well if it suggests there is a liberatory capacity in medicine (obv not necessarily how it has been practiced most places lol) i get it

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

vaccines:pinkertons::viruses:striking mine workers

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There are so many examples of covid safety measures being used as an excuse to enrich billionaires and screw over workers. I remember during the two months that lockdowns had any weight, Walmart stayed open while independent businesses were forced to close shop. Even Gamestop managed to declare itself an essential business because they sell batteries. Plenty of stores around here still don't allow returns or have public bathrooms, "because covid", even though they stopped mandating masks a year ago. The push to end lockdowns began right after the first study that said Black and Hispanic people were dying at a much higher rate, because they're more likely to have high-risk jobs and live in lower-quality nursing homes.

Here's a fun quote from Marx. Doctors recommended social distancing to slow the spread of disease over a hundred years ago, but back then we got an extra two feet!

"The English doctors are unanimous in declaring that where the work is continuous, 500 cubic feet [eight feet apart] is the very least space that should be allowed for each person. Now, if the Factory Acts, owing to their compulsory provisions, indirectly hasten on the conversion of small workshops into factories, thus indirectly attacking the proprietary rights of the smaller capitalists, and assuring a monopoly to the great ones, so, if it were made obligatory to provide the proper space for each workman in every workshop, thousands of small employers would, at one full swoop, be expropriated directly! The very root of the capitalist mode of production, i.e., the self-expansion of all capital, large or small, by means of the “free” purchase and consumption of labour-power, would be attacked. Factory legislation is therefore brought to a deadlock before these 500 cubic feet of breathing space. The sanitary officers, the industrial inquiry commissioners, the factory inspectors, all harp, over and over again, upon the necessity for those 500 cubic feet, and upon the impossibility of wringing them out of capital. They thus, in fact, declare that consumption and other lung diseases among the workpeople are necessary conditions to the existence of capital." - Capital, chapter 15

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Nevermind.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Sep 16, 2022

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The fool is a simpleton, a court jester who is allowed to tell the truth precisely because the 'performative power' (the sociopolitical efficiency) of his speech is suspended; the knave is the cynic who openly states the truth, a crook who tries to sell the open admission of his crookedness as honesty, a scoundrel who admit the need for illegitimate repression in order to maintain social stability.

Following the fall of Socialism, the knave is a neo-conservative advocate of the free market, who cruelly rejects all forms of social solidarity as counterproductive sentimentalism; while the fool is a multiculturalist 'radical' social critic who, by means of his ludic procedures destined to 'subvert' the existing order, actually serves as its supplement.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was from here https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch15.htm

nut
Jul 30, 2019

what a place to find out that i am a knave

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

on a friday even !

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’ve had covid twice and the brain damage must be getting to me because idk wtf is going on in here right now

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

№132, Supplement
May 12 1842

Oh christ. A psycho's defense. Imagine if Typhoid Mary threw this much pseudo-morality bullshit into the air every time they were questioned. No wonder people eventually just threw their hands up and let her run unmitigated all over their communities, until we get to today where millions of you are doing it.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

Oh christ. A psycho's defense. Imagine if Typhoid Mary threw this much pseudo-morality bullshit into the air every time they were questioned. No wonder people eventually just threw their hands up and let her run unmitigated all over their communities, until we get to today where millions of you are doing it.

nice ad hom

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

mark immune posted:

nice ad hom

Shut the gently caress up alt

nut
Jul 30, 2019

alright enough loving up the thread, now tell me mr. beast's dad is cia or get out

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

Shut the gently caress up alt

2022 rereg says what

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

typhoid mary owns. gov was like you cant work please starve now and she was like nah bro you'll have to lock me up on a barren island first

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

brain worms is the most dangerous illness of all cause it can spread through vectors such as the internet

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
way to go, epstein

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Personally I would just put Typhoid Mary on ignore so I don't have to wade through her reams of scrawl. All it does is suck the air out of the real conversation

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Shifty Nipples posted:

brain worms is the most dangerous illness of all cause it can spread through vectors such as the internet

People communicating with each other and spreading ideas is very scary. They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Futanari Damacy posted:

Personally I would just put Typhoid Mary on ignore so I don't have to wade through her reams of scrawl. All it does is suck the air out of the real conversation

Ugh this is how I'm correctly gendered?! (Pronouns he/him/she/her but I do love to see it)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Endman posted:

I’ve had covid twice and the brain damage must be getting to me because idk wtf is going on in here right now

I'm becoming a bugchaser for multiple covid strains so as to become even dumber, and therefore live and die in bliss. eat poo poo brain havers

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

maxwellhill posted:

You're wrong

see, that's the spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

we're notdoing anyhing impactful period lol

if an interested party cant discuss covid conspiracies in the cspam epstein thread then what's the point of it