Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Who the gently caress are Russia to bitch about anyone else crossing red lines?

Right? "I'm not touching you / Stop hitting yourself" is their entire strategic doctrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1570619239572344833?t=VrkM-qZimK5zvZZdmbM-JQ&s=19

More ATACMS discussion, mostly independent of Russia’s "red lines".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
We should at least send Steak'ums

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kesper North posted:

Hell send em a couple thousand Webers, those boys deserve a good dinner

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kesper North posted:

Ateggim strips

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Defendums

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
SS-18 Seitan

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

May his passing cleanse the bowels.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kesper North posted:

And cheeze-wiz.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Kesper North posted:

An iron cup full of Brunswick stew

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think the thing that makes me most annoyed is all the morons blaming anything but Russia for any of this. I said at the start it felt like the equivalent of blaming a battered housewife but it's worse than that.

A page ago, but hard same.

Seems it's really just
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1570619278277365766?s=20&t=BKfsE1DU8B5EhDyxpLeuiA

But makes total sense. Also lol at the guy he called out for posting the picture of M1 Abrams that were sitting in a boneyard (and very quite outdated).

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Joke Miriam posted:

An iron cup full of Brunswick stew

Aww come on. The capture of Izyum deserves at least a Pizza Trophy.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kesper North posted:

We should at least send Stake'ums

Vampire vampire vampire

piL fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 16, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
base m1s would still be pretty good in ukraine, they're better protected than t-62s and t-72as, have a thermal sight, and 105mm is good enough for anything but the latest tanks

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

OctaMurk posted:

base m1s would still be pretty good in ukraine, they're better protected than t-62s and t-72as, have a thermal sight, and 105mm is good enough for anything but the latest tanks

Yeah, but getting them running, and then being able to maintain and supply them is the real issue at hand.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, but getting them running, and then being able to maintain and supply them is the real issue at hand.

Just send tanks that are already operational. I have read many times how Congress has forced the US Army to purchase more Abrams than they want to keep the production line working. Ukraine would be a convenient way to get rid of the excess.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Does anyone have appreciable stocks of 105mm on-hand?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Just send tanks that are already operational. I have read many times how Congress has forced the US Army to purchase more Abrams than they want to keep the production line working. Ukraine would be a convenient way to get rid of the excess.

It’s never this simple. I was a Stryker platoon leader and there was always at least one of my vehicles that had something catastrophically broken on it that needed immediate attention from a mechanic, I can’t imagine Abrams are any different.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Would they be useful for keeping in the rear to defend recaptured territory?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd imagine it's more a maintenance thing, but Ukraine seems to be doing a good job of keeping equipment we've sent operable. Parts line, training, and even then, they seem more than capable at running their modified soviet designs. They were also just gifted a shitload of free russian equipment. There's really no point sending Abrams unless Ukraine plans to adopt them, train and maintain them when the war ends.

I would rather those old Abrams get sent to Ukraine than the Saudis, though. Because we do sell Abrams, just not the new hot poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've gotta imagine that maintaining M777s, HMMWVs, and HIMARS is way simpler than maintaining an Abrams. For starters, the HIMARS and HMMWV have normal diesel engines.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Look we all laughed about the russians running out of gas please dont give the Ukranians turbine powered tanks so they can share that fate. How many tanks can you run off the fuel required to get a single abrams the same distance?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They were also just gifted a shitload of free russian equipment.

Understatement

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

I've gotta imagine that maintaining M777s, HMMWVs, and HIMARS is way simpler than maintaining an Abrams. For starters, the HIMARS and HMMWV have normal diesel engines.

Turbines are not technically difficult, they just look imposing if the work is foreign to you. Literally everything about them is written down in step by step format in a TM somewhere. They're just big heavy bastards. If you can follow directions, you can repair a turbine engine.

The HIMARS MTVs are probably 6cyl inline Cat engines that require more fuckery in maintenance, a scan tool, computer. Ukraine can handle that, they handled John Deere.

The humvee is a pair of garbage rear end GM V8 diesels (and a turbo variant) that are entirely mechanical and should have died when GM introduced an inline six for their truck line, but they're simple to maintain and have no electrical fuckery. Also TMs.

Honestly, the biggest problem with giving Ukraine the Abrams is printing the TMs in Ukrainian.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
It is very :ironicat: to think that Ukraine would be unable to handle turbine engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Sich

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah combined arms lol

https://twitter.com/raging545/status/1570797043500875776?s=46&t=W2kKPJSoCaQl5hzrGNXEYw

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What if we requisitioned all the military materiel we gave cops and sent it to Ukraine?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They’ve got plenty of diesel mechanics, if they need tanks give them Leo’s or something.

Although from what I understand they’ve recently gotten a few pre-owned T-72’s.

:ukrainetractor:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Xakura posted:

It is very :ironicat: to think that Ukraine would be unable to handle turbine engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Sich

Also worth remembering that T-80's come with turbine engines, and captured specimens are typically well liked among Ukrainian forces for high speed and maneuverability compared to the usual T-64/72 fare.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Once they push Russia out, we can flood them with Abrams. They're swimming in T-derivatives right now, and that's a pond they're comfortable in.

The way drone warfare and accurate artillery are evolving, tanks are losing significance. They're still important in overrunning unarmored positions, but when you can drop a mortar in the hatch from a few hundred feet up behind the lines, well....

Putin basically just left enough steel in Ukraine to rebuild that mill the russians destroyed trying to merc the Azov battalion.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Are the grey/blue uniforms the wagners?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

Are the grey/blue uniforms the wagners?

Not quite sure myself.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1570798006039085056

Looks like they've crossed the Oskil, finally.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s never this simple. I was a Stryker platoon leader and there was always at least one of my vehicles that had something catastrophically broken on it that needed immediate attention from a mechanic, I can’t imagine Abrams are any different.

They're not.

Also, 105mm ammunition is 30 years old at this point. I don't know the shelf life off hand, but it's yet another consideration. The older M1s also have a bunch of internals which aren't manufactured anymore, and have older parts you probably don't want. For example, the original NBC filter used Chromium-6.

psydude posted:

This is correct. Wheeled vehicles with diesel engines require far less maintenance time, training, and skill than tracked vehicles with turbine engines. Ukraine absolutely has plenty of people capable of learning the M1 platform, but it's one more logistical complexity that probably isn't worth it in the short to medium term (next several months).

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The way drone warfare and accurate artillery are evolving, tanks are losing significance. They're still important in overrunning unarmored positions, but when you can drop a mortar in the hatch from a few hundred feet up behind the lines, well....

Replace "tank" with "infantry" and your argument is unchanged. Tanks are still very relevant. Artillery is, too. Drones have become kinetic ally relevant, though even this isn't new.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Handsome Ralph posted:

A page ago, but hard same.

Seems it's really just
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1570619278277365766?s=20&t=BKfsE1DU8B5EhDyxpLeuiA

But makes total sense. Also lol at the guy he called out for posting the picture of M1 Abrams that were sitting in a boneyard (and very quite outdated).

I don't think that Putin mobilizing Russia has a significant chance of winning things for Russia, nor are Russia's worst and most urgent problems specifically manpower. That said, between more manpower and the Russian economy being reoriented around war materiel production, turning the heat up quickly enough that Russia formally mobilizes would be a huge disaster. They aren't going to win because of it but it would make things far bloodier and would likely drag things out for years longer. At the moment that's the main concern for any question of 'well how could this situation get way worse.' The current strategy is to destroy as much of the Russian military as possible before Russia realizes that they've passed the tipping point of army needed to win: army they have on hand

Also I don't doubt for a second that pretty much everyone involved wants Ukraine to have the capacity to blow up certain extremely important military targets at long range.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Once they push Russia out, we can flood them with Abrams. They're swimming in T-derivatives right now, and that's a pond they're comfortable in.

Putin basically just left enough steel in Ukraine to rebuild that mill the russians destroyed trying to merc the Azov battalion.

I don't think tanks are losing significance. I think armies will need to evolve to include the appropriate countermeasures. Russia clearly hasn't.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Valid points. I might just be thinking that you can do a lot with the resources it would normally take to build and maintain a tank, maybe to the point where they take a less prominent role in the future.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

psydude posted:

I don't think tanks are losing significance. I think armies will need to evolve to include the appropriate countermeasures. Russia clearly hasn't.

Yeah, claiming the tank has lost significance based off the miserable employment/maintenance of the Russian Army makes even less sense then when the tank "was obsolete" in the 60's once ATGM's started to be fielded. Tanks designs and tactics evolved to meet that challenge and will do so with drones/artillery; the problem for the RA is that it's purpose is to enrich those engaged in corruption and display a few prototypes on May Day - not develop an effective fighting force (or at least one fit for the challenges of 21st Century warfare).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1570819272309608448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Valid points. I might just be thinking that you can do a lot with the resources it would normally take to build and maintain a tank, maybe to the point where they take a less prominent role in the future.

The concept of an armored division is probably outdated (just look at US force composition). To your point - my guess is we'll see fewer tanks overall; I don't think there will ever be another 73 Easting. But I think combined arms task forces using tanks will still be a thing.