Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Panfilo posted:

Is the nipple on the mummy an artistic choice or just an unfortunate image artefact?

Nipples all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

Was the Aladdin cartoon show any good out of curiosity? I’ve only ever seen the 3 movies

It's no Gargoyles, but it's decently entertaining and has some interesting antagonists and secondary characters unique to it, though they're not always utilized to their full potential.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 15, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

did the laika guy run out of money yet

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently a cultural consultant they had for Aladdin was a genuine Middle Easterner... from Iran, and as a result Agrabah looks a bit like Persia.

I lived in Riyadh when Aladdin first came out and every native kid I knew was absolutely stoked about it. Changing “where they’ll cut off your ear if they don’t like your face” to “where it’s flat and immense and the heat is intense” is the right move for cultural reasons but it is definitely not a lateral move when it comes to evocative writing.

Larryb posted:

Was the Aladdin cartoon show any good out of curiosity? I’ve only ever seen the 3 movies

Hrm. Lots of episodes about stinky vikings. But also plenty of episodes with Mechanicles, one of my favorite animated villains of all time, Sadira, a fun counterpoint to both Aladdin and Jasmine, and Abis Mal, straight-up what if George Costanza was an inept desert bandit and we're just gonna cast Jason Alexander as the voice why not.

It’s pretty good.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Mozenrath was always my favorite villain in that show. That being said I barely remember anything about him, or the show, at all.

Just bone hand, floating eels and black sand.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Mozenrath was always my favorite villain in that show. That being said I barely remember anything about him, or the show, at all.

Just bone hand, floating eels and black sand.

I was just gonna mention him. Some evil twin of Aladdin? There was this underlying theme about how Mozenrath had to work his rear end off to be an evil wizard while Aladdin had a lot of good fortune fall into his lap.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fuckin' Mozenrath!

I change my vote. Aladdin TAS was great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Aladdin TAS varies tremendously in quality from episode to episode but the good episodes were surprisingly good.

Panfilo posted:

I was just gonna mention him. Some evil twin of Aladdin? There was this underlying theme about how Mozenrath had to work his rear end off to be an evil wizard while Aladdin had a lot of good fortune fall into his lap.

IIRC one of the early plans for the second DTV Aladdin movie was going to reveal that Aladdin and Mozenrath were brothers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inkspot posted:

I lived in Riyadh when Aladdin first came out and every native kid I knew was absolutely stoked about it. Changing “where they’ll cut off your ear if they don’t like your face” to “where it’s flat and immense and the heat is intense” is the right move for cultural reasons but it is definitely not a lateral move when it comes to evocative writing.

Flatness and heat don't make a place "barbaric" :argh:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

a survey asking audiences of various ethnicities what they thought of "their" assigned representative disneypiece would probably be illuminating

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CaptainCrunch posted:

I remember he was played by seaQuest DSV’s Jonathan Brandis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Flatness and heat don't make a place "barbaric" :argh:

Counterpoint: Australia

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Aladdin was my favorite Disney animated movie growing up, because as a little girl of middle eastern descent it was my movie for me. Jasmine was my favorite princess for most of my life.

I still adore it, though I also like the live action version a lot unlike some people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Hrm. Lots of episodes about stinky vikings. But also plenty of episodes with Mechanicles, one of my favorite animated villains of all time, Sadira, a fun counterpoint to both Aladdin and Jasmine, and Abis Mal, straight-up what if George Costanza was an inept desert bandit and we're just gonna cast Jason Alexander as the voice why not.

It’s pretty good.

Abis Mal technically first appeared in Return of Jafar but as far as I remember was only named during the end credits

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/cnschedules/status/1570800594625110023?s=21&t=TGynTbZWNY3zlrWfupbHdA

🙃

This can only end well, if this is legit

🙃

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Random Bee and Puppycat thought: I just watched the first ep on Netflix after having seen the web stuff years ago and it felt reallllllly slow and unfunny. I love the animation, but I went back and immediately rewatched the original pilot on YouTube and it was so much better. I actually laughed at a few jokes in the original pilot that they extended and made worse in the remake. Is it because they decided to go full 20+ min episodes instead of 10ish min ones? It just dragggggggged and it felt like Bee lost all of her energy compared to the pilot. The new dialogue was awful.

Haven't watched more yet but it gave me bad vibes like they ruined something special.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:tif:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Why does he look like Jeb!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I realized "Iago" is a funny thing to call a parrot but I don't think the parrot is very much like the one from othello. But he could be, which could be funnier.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

an egg posted:

a survey asking audiences of various ethnicities what they thought of "their" assigned representative disneypiece would probably be illuminating

Darby o gill and the little people is infantilizing and cruel to leprechauns.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

.....so this is all going to end with them all being owned by Disney in a few years right?

Like, a full monopoly is on the horizon isn't it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

.....so this is all going to end with them all being owned by Disney in a few years right?

Like, a full monopoly is on the horizon isn't it?

No one seems to be doing anything to stop it or even seem outraged outside of non-billionaires and non-politicians.

So yeah, we'll probably have something like that eventually.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/papertiki/status/1570924426107191296

Bye Bye Bunny is apparently not cancelled but they still lost most of the staff?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Macaluso posted:

Bye Bye Bunny is apparently not cancelled but they still lost most of the staff?
no need to worry, they'll just throw the first half of the movie into DALL-E and it's ready to go

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

an egg posted:

did the laika guy run out of money yet

The Nike heir?

Actually speaking of, idk if it’s been mentioned already but the Claydreams documentary is out in a limited theatrical release. It’s about Will Vinton (the California Raisins guy) and is mostly a biography but also centers around the deposition between him and Phil & Travis Knight. There’s some insane footage of an interview with Travis during his failed rap career.

For anyone not aware, the studio that did the California Raisins, the Noid, The PJs, etc., got the Nike CEO as an angel investor who eventually ousted the original owner and handed the studio over to his son. That studio is now LAIKA. To his credit, Will Vinton made a lot of extremely bad business decisions and Phil Knight intervened a couple times to keep the studio from shutting down.

Sorry if this has been discussed already; I originally came in here to talk poo poo about Disney’s Pinocchio remake!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A lot of my teachers in art school were ex-Vinton artists and had VERY STRONG feelings about Knight and Laika.

I've mentioned it before, but Laika has a hell of a reputation in Portland. I still adore their craft- their art is undeniably masterclass- but I've heard nothing but horror stories come outta there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I remember someone on here saying something about Laika but it was another company named Laika so it was okay? I'm not sure.

What has Laika done?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the funny and cute parts of the Aladdin series is that the sultan gets a lot of fleshing out, and basically becomes a father figure to Aladdin himself, pretty much treating him as a substitute son.

The guard captain is interesting too; he does not like Aladdin and generally has a very mediaeval idea of justice, but is genuine loyal to the sultan and Jasmine, and will work with Aladdin for the good of Agrabah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

My first thought is "what a nightmare", then my second is "well it can't get too much worse anyway so why not". At the very least NBC/Comcast own more varied brands than a lot of the reality trash on Discovery (which Zaslav surely wants to shift all of WB towards)

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

... it'll be Amazon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the funny and cute parts of the Aladdin series is that the sultan gets a lot of fleshing out, and basically becomes a father figure to Aladdin himself, pretty much treating him as a substitute son.

The guard captain is interesting too; he does not like Aladdin and generally has a very mediaeval idea of justice, but is genuine loyal to the sultan and Jasmine, and will work with Aladdin for the good of Agrabah.

I'll be honest about the Captain, he seemed like more of a weaselly little prick who followed where the power was at any given time rather than having any loyalty, hence throwing himself behind Jafar for a good chunk of the movie. When he thought he wasn't being watched he was nothing more than a bully. If I were in Jasmine's position I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him. Never saw the show though, sounds like it did a lot of work to try to render him at least likeable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I remember someone on here saying something about Laika but it was another company named Laika so it was okay? I'm not sure.

What has Laika done?

The personal stories are that they're of the opinion you should be grateful to work for them and also to be mistreated by them. Burnout and turnover were high. One of the kindest, mildest couples I knew just had their faces drop when I asked about working there. She was a costumer and would regularly have weeks worth of completed work thrown directly into the dumpster behind the studio over script disputes.

The one teacher we had that also worked at Laika was representative of many of the things I heard. Her time was extremely important, and meanwhile she'd show up 1.5/2 hours late to classes and insist students stay after to make up the time. Her lectures would be about herself and she would provide zero instruction on how to do things, but be ferocious with her criticisms. She had anger issues and would spend minutes chewing out kids who voiced concerns with any of this. The quarter I finally had to take stop motion, it turned out she quit suddenly over break and the department had to scramble to find a replacement the week before classes started. Which was timely, because my friends were discussing starting a petition to have her removed or possibly threatening to sue over what ended up being a scam class. As far as I know, she's still at Laika.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Laika worked on Corpse Bride even though they didn't produce it right?

I remember going to traveling Tim Burton exhibit, and one of the displays mentioning how some of the employees straight up had PTSD from manually and slowly changing the character's faces, having nightmares of people doing it to his own face.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I remember going to traveling Tim Burton exhibit, and one of the displays mentioning how some of the employees straight up had PTSD from manually and slowly changing the character's faces, having nightmares of people doing it to his own face.

:psyduck:
Not only does this track, but it would be considered a point of pride for a certain breed.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, Corpse Bride was done in London. Puppets there were done by MacKinnon & Saunders. Maybe one guy had a nightmare about it but mech heads are fun! All of stopmotion is done a frame at a time so you’re either sculpting faces, turning allen keys or switching replacements.

LAIKA’s first film was Coraline. Then they did ParaNorman, Boxtrolls, Kubo and Missing Link. They’re currently working on an adaptation of Wildwood.

LAIKA is comically arrogant considering they’re the vanity project of an idle billionaire heir and don’t have to follow the normal rules of budgets, schedules or studio profit. Their pay sucks too. It’s wild how they have so many talented craftspeople they cripple with tendonitis for like… $17/hr.

Their recruiters are ridiculous. They told a friend if he ever worked a TV animation job in LA he’d be blackballed from the studio. I worked in LA stop motion and LAIKA people were always coming down to work a season because it was the only way to get the leverage to negotiate a raise back in Portland. The recruiters just say wild inflammatory stuff to scare people into submission.

Lol I could go on forever but you can just read the reviews on Glassdoor or @stopmo_industry_stories on Instagram (some stuff on there is a kinda irresponsible but it’s 50% people complaining about LAIKA).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crocobile posted:

No, Corpse Bride was done in London. Puppets there were done by MacKinnon & Saunders. Maybe one guy had a nightmare about it but mech heads are fun! All of stopmotion is done a frame at a time so you’re either sculpting faces, turning allen keys or switching replacements.

LAIKA’s first film was Coraline. Then they did ParaNorman, Boxtrolls, Kubo and Missing Link. They’re currently working on an adaptation of Wildwood.
Those were the first films solely produced by LAIKA, but they did work under contract on Corpse Bride. The opening credits list it as a co-production between Burton and Laika. But granted I don't know strictly how involved they were.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Das Boo posted:

A lot of my teachers in art school were ex-Vinton artists and had VERY STRONG feelings about Knight and Laika.

I've mentioned it before, but Laika has a hell of a reputation in Portland. I still adore their craft- their art is undeniably masterclass- but I've heard nothing but horror stories come outta there.

Das Boo posted:

personal stories

Crocobile posted:

LAIKA is comically arrogant considering they’re the vanity project of an idle billionaire heir and don’t have to follow the normal rules of budgets, schedules or studio profit. Their pay sucks too. It’s wild how they have so many talented craftspeople they cripple with tendonitis for like… $17/hr.
drat, i wasn't aware of that :(

are any of the studios actually good to work for? besides animating just being a circle of hell, generally speaking

an egg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 17, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Those were the first films solely produced by LAIKA, but they did work under contract on Corpse Bride. The opening credits list it as a co-production between Burton and Laika. But granted I don't know strictly how involved they were.

Huh! I wonder if it was sort of a London/Vinton collaboration? It was definitely shot at 3 Mills in London and most of the animators were British. I’m trying to find more details of their involvement and the best I can find is stuff like this.

“For video assist, they used Vinton Capture, software written for Vinton Studios specifically for stop-motion animators.”

Some Vinton animators and fabricators came over to London to work on it. The Knights acquired Vinton in 2002 and rebranded it to Laika the same year Corpse Bride was released so it’s a bit confusing.

an egg posted:

are any of the studios actually good to work for? besides animating just being a circle of hell, generally speaking

Some projects are really fun and some studios are better than others. Also experiences can vary wildly depending on what department you’re in, how far it is in production, your supervisors and who’s producing. Stop motion is niche as hell so it’s hard to speak broadly but studios I’ve always had an amazing time at other people hate. I know people who’ve enjoyed their time at Laika (usually animators, some art department). Also things can change suddenly- I heard awesome things about Netflix Animation when they started.

Stop motion pay is lower than any animation union job though. The hourly pay I got as an entry level TV board revisionist was comparable to the pay for stop motion feature animation. :cripes:

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 17, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

an egg posted:

drat, i wasn't aware of that :(

I've heard rumors that the people who make Big Mouth and Human Resources are super kind to their animators, don't have a direct source for that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's rumors flying around the Mario movie bombed so badly at a test screening the entire movie was sent back to production.