Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I was really hoping for more PTO than that, but if you're willing to add 10% to your salary offer to compensate for that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I managed to negotiate an extra week of PTO only once (4 weeks instead of initial 3) in lieu of pay, only to have to gobbled up by the the company getting acquired and giving everyone 4 weeks. I tried to reason with the hiring manager that it was a part of negotiated compensation, and that I should get an extra week, but it was without any results. Should have left then and there, but I was (more) naive at the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Until we changed to a much better benefits package in general, the company I am at now used to authorize only up to an extra week of PTO. I would just add to to any new hire, negotiated or not, because I didn't want people leaving after 6 months.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I can’t recall if it has been discussed here, but from my understanding, PTO really costs the company absolutely nothing. That just makes the outright refusal (which seems to be almost universal) that much more egregious. But we know the older generation craves control above almost all else (save profit), and this would seem to fit that bill.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They actually seem to crave control even more than they crave profit, in many cases. Otherwise 90% of the white collar world would be WFH.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Eric the Mauve posted:

They actually seem to crave control even more than they crave profit, in many cases. Otherwise 90% of the white collar world would be WFH.

I have picked up on this time and time again in this thread and similar ones. Companies seem to be constantly cutting off their noses to spite their faces, particularly when it comes to people who already work there trying to exercise their power (e.g. by having the audacity to ask for a raise/promotion that makes perfect sense and is supported by competing offers and/or job duties).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dik Hz posted:

100% agree.

The HR person who makes these sorts of policies is almost always lower down than the person that approves senior level salaries. Just sayin’
I've been in rooms where the person who made the policy was on the other side of the Atlantic or the company owner sitting across from me. The reaction is always the same: utter confusion.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Who are you to question their divine decree?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I can’t recall if it has been discussed here, but from my understanding, PTO really costs the company absolutely nothing. That just makes the outright refusal (which seems to be almost universal) that much more egregious. But we know the older generation craves control above almost all else (save profit), and this would seem to fit that bill.

If you payout PTO, banked PTO actually counts as a liability. That's one of the advantages of unlimited PTO, you don't have to carry those hours on the books.

The other side is every week of PTO is 2% of a person, so if a person's productivity is uniform whether or not they take vacation (very arguable) then every 50 weeks of total PTO a org has then you need another person. This is taken into account when figuring out headcounts for large orgs. If your org needs 200 work-people worth of productivity, then 2 weeks of PTO means 208 heads, 4 weeks of PTO means 216 people.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you factor in attrition due to people hating your PTO policy and the amount of hours lost due to do that, I'm sure 4 week minimum PTO comes out way ahead.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bamhand posted:

If you factor in attrition due to people hating your PTO policy and the amount of hours lost due to do that, I'm sure 4 week minimum PTO comes out way ahead.

Right, and the fact that someone who hasn't had a day off in 6 months is probably not going to be nearly as effective as someone who has. But the description is the monetary cost that comes from PTO, as it's booked.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

The desire to control is just projected incompetence. People who are profoundly stupid control because they have no idea how to measure success or what it even looks like. People who are sociopaths control because they think everyone else is like them.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

a

Euronymous fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 21, 2023

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Euronymous posted:

I recently found that it’s a big rear end negative to have moved to a lower COL state when negotiating for remote jobs with some companies - but I also learned how to game the system a bit.

I simply changed my location to Seattle and added a family member’s address to my resume. When I was in the negotiation stage, I let them know I was “about to move” to my real state, and they grudgingly kept the offer the same. Would recommend this approach to those of us that don’t live on the coasts, I don’t buy that we should be paid less for doing the same work.

While I agree with the sentiment, this is super risky. Wouldn't you risk getting fired almost immediately if they found out you were lying? Or do you just pull a "the move didn't work out" kinda thing? What address do you put down when you're filling out all of your hiring paperwork?

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

a

Euronymous fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 21, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I don't see how this is easier than "You have to pay me for the work, not where I live, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's tax evasion for the state you actually live in though (if there's state income tax), which is illegal. It's only 1 paycheck but still a risk.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lockback posted:

That's tax evasion for the state you actually live in though (if there's state income tax), which is illegal. It's only 1 paycheck but still a risk.

Not if he fills out the hiring paperwork with his actual location. He is just claiming the other location during hiring is what I got from it.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

a

Euronymous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't know poo poo about the US tax codes, but it sounds like if you are giving your initial address as a state that does have income tax and then moving to one that also has income tax you're going to gently caress yourself in addition to possibly committing fraud if you make a mistake.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Yeah they may never catch it, but if they do or you get audited, they're going to wonder why you had one random paycheck's taxes sent to another state even though you checked the box that said you lived in your current state for the entire year.

Then again, it may not be a big deal and since it's one paycheck your current state might just ask for the like... 15 dollars you owe them and that's it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I know he's being open about it being a lie, but I also know gently caress all about the states. What about people who this may be genuine for? Surely there is a legit way to move from state to state and relocate you tax.

How does this even work with COL? If you moved somewhere more expensive while employed with a company do they automatically pull you in to HR and tell you they are paying you more? The only thing I can compare it with is 'London wages' where national companies pay more for those inside the M25 as it's deemed to be a more expensive place to live, but even then the tide is turning on the ol' status quo. I personally know an engineer who works for a large international insurance company who was taken on working for London rates and when he got moved to the midlands they tried to lower his wage - He just said "Ok then I'll just leave" and they broke like a wet kit kat and kept his rate the same.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
It's normal in the sense that you file taxes in both states. You file that you were a resident in WA until the move date then file for new state. While I don't believe there is a minimum residency requirement, I'm not a lawyer or cpa though. There are things that do establish residency like registering a car, license or a lease.

Maybe you should check with one beforehand. A few hundred could save you a shitload of money. Never gently caress with the taxman.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know poo poo about the US tax codes, but it sounds like if you are giving your initial address as a state that does have income tax and then moving to one that also has income tax you're going to gently caress yourself in addition to possibly committing fraud if you make a mistake.

Explain how there is tax fraud in this situation, in which I declare the correct address and take correct deductions after one paycheck and declare the single non-taxed paycheck as additional income.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

deported to Canada posted:

I know he's being open about it being a lie, but I also know gently caress all about the states. What about people who this may be genuine for? Surely there is a legit way to move from state to state and relocate you tax.

How does this even work with COL? If you moved somewhere more expensive while employed with a company do they automatically pull you in to HR and tell you they are paying you more? The only thing I can compare it with is 'London wages' where national companies pay more for those inside the M25 as it's deemed to be a more expensive place to live, but even then the tide is turning on the ol' status quo. I personally know an engineer who works for a large international insurance company who was taken on working for London rates and when he got moved to the midlands they tried to lower his wage - He just said "Ok then I'll just leave" and they broke like a wet kit kat and kept his rate the same.
I really need to bully my company into paying London rates, because currently they are not. I like them but the big risky opportunities are getting harder to ignore.

Euronymous posted:

Explain how there is tax fraud in this situation, in which I declare the correct address and take correct deductions after one paycheck and declare the single non-taxed paycheck as additional income.
You didn't actually read what I said at all, so: no.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Arquinsiel posted:

I really need to bully my company into paying London rates, because currently they are not. I like them but the big risky opportunities are getting harder to ignore.

You didn't actually read what I said at all, so: no.

Like you said, you don’t know anything about US taxes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I checked compensation for the type of position I'm looking for on Glassdoor and the H1B visa database, and I wasn't really seeing a big difference in compensation of where I live vs. the places where I'm applying to work for remotely, so I think it's flattening out, no matter what people negotiating with you are saying.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Euronymous posted:

Oh good! You read the first nine. Now read the rest.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh good! You read the first nine. Now read the rest.

Are you blatantly ignoring the fact that they said they declare that first paycheck as additional income in their actual state afterwards?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Euronymous posted:

Little hostile here buddy - You came to a thread where people try and help each other out and give advice. Arquinsiel was pretty clear that they didn't know much about US tax; if it's such a good idea and not just some 'one weird trick' that will totally torpedo your credibility and career if discovered by your new manager/HR then explain it a little further or risk giving other people reading this thread bad ideas.

Honestly if I hired someone and found out about something like this I'd consider you disingenuous and untrustworthy. Those aren't good qualities in people on any kind of probation. I'd also think you some smart rear end coward who didn't have the minerals to look me in the eye and say "pay me" and instead had to lie to my face so they could laugh behind my back.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Euronymous posted:

Because you let a W-2 get filed with an address you knew was false.

I don't know to what extent that would register but it wouldn't be something I would advise.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Ok, no worries. Regional pay isn’t real and even if it were there’s nothing you can do. Sorry guys.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Euronymous posted:

Ok, no worries. Regional pay isn’t real and even if it were there’s nothing you can do. Sorry guys.

Nah go ahead and do it. Report back and tell us it was never a bad idea.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Nah go ahead and do it. Report back and tell us it was never a bad idea.

I am currently doing it and I’m clearing $200k for the first time. Talked to a state tax attorney and they said the state won’t care as long as they get the money they’re owed.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Euronymous posted:

I am currently doing it and I’m clearing $200k for the first time. Talked to a state tax attorney and they said the state won’t care as long as they get the money they’re owed.

Then I stand corrected. I'm just going to email my boss and tell him I've moved to Monaco so if he could just let HR know I need a cost of living adjustment. It will be awkward if I bump into him in the pub but I'm sure I can style it out.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Then I stand corrected. I'm just going to email my boss and tell him I've moved to Monaco so if he could just let HR know I need a cost of living adjustment. It will be awkward if I bump into him in the pub but I'm sure I can style it out.

I wouldn’t know. Good luck and I’d recommend talking to a tax attorney.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Or finding a different pub to drink in.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Good luck bigtiming your employees with their probation status lmao. You sound like a good boss

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DoubleT2172 posted:

Are you blatantly ignoring the fact that they said they declare that first paycheck as additional income in their actual state afterwards?
You should also read the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I would simply choose to just not leave a trail of white lies in my life but I’m not sure why this needs to be A Fight on this here dead forum. Grats on getting figgies OP but manipulating people is kind of lovely and could bite you. But hey if it’s working for you then whatever, go for it! Just make sure to drop stories if/when it all unravels for you.