Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Whew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
when will the good games happen

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The PS5 has no games, so the statement “All PS5 games are good” is already true.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

Did they really..?? I was watching it on mute without subtitles lol

someone asked the host and they were like "we are being asked about a 6th installment??? im interested in that too" and then quickly moved on to the football

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lmao.

still. no. when.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Wo Long is gonna be real good but man was it a weird immediate first impression where you enter the tutorial and get a prompt to pick up loot with R2 :stare:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thiccabod posted:

Wo Long is gonna be real good but man was it a weird immediate first impression where you enter the tutorial and get a prompt to pick up loot with R2 :stare:

I looked at that part for what felt like five minutes that's how long I needed to parse that piece of information.

They really like the R2 trigger in the default control scheme.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

drat, that Konami shmup looks pretty sweet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bop bop perano posted:

What in particular do you not like about it? I know you said you didn’t like anything about it, but Im just curious. As soon as I got into space and started exploring other planets I was hooked basically, I remember specifically going to the other side of the starting planet, timber hearth on my first loop, and seeing the giant dark bramble seed which prompts you to shoot your scout into it, which is basically a work hole that leads to dark bramble (and then you can find the exact opening from later which is cool) and flies through the planet and lands on the skeleton of an angler fish, then looking into space and seeing that my scout was way over on the other side of the solar system which immediately hooked me and I just wanted to know more, which I think is important, since the story sort of *is* the game. So if you read a bunch of messages using your translator tool, and nothing grabbed you, I can understand everything else about the game feeling boring.

I'm not into the way the game looks. A lot of indie games lately seem to be doing that super low detail textures mixed with a cartoony aesthetic and I'm not into it at all. It totally takes me out of it, which is not good considering I feel like OW is supposed to be super immersive. I wasn't feeling the exploration much, since I didn't care to look at what there was to find for the most part. I thought the on foot controls felt clunky and I couldn't stand controlling the space ship. people say you get used to it but I probably put a combined 4 hours into my 2 attempted playthroughs and always found the ship to be just about the most unenjoyable vehicle I have ever used in a game. Eventually I sort of got used to it but it never felt fun. Frequently I'd find myself on a planet with absolutely no idea what to do next and the gap between me figuring it out and being bored in between usually felt way too long. And once again during that time I felt like there was just nothing to look at. Just like, some low detail rocks with maybe some alien stuff if I was lucky. Everything looked like it was proc gen to me even though I knew it wasn't/ Sometimes I'd find something kind of interesting like getting deep into a planet and I'd die and have to start over, which is supposed to be part of the appeal, but the thought of flying there in that awful ship and finding where I was again was always extremely unpleasant.

TLDR I was just bored most of the time and didn't like the look of the game.

The story seemed like it might get interesting and I like the basic concept of the game, but I feel like just about everything would have to be executed differently for me to enjoy it.

Who knows. Maybe one day It'll finally click. I know people love it and it's not super long and I paid for it, so I haven't entirely given up on it. At least at this point it doesn't jive with me at all though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

thiccabod posted:

I'd just played the Valkyrie Elesium demo which had L2 as pick up lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Finally

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1570826276344299523?s=46&t=7Q6SqUKksmIsEhmXHR5uzg

the brain geniuses at Sony PlayStation with another classic

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Another Jim Ryan special

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Been talkin about it in the PSVR thread, no one was expecting BC due to the technical challenges involved. PSVR1 games were tightly coupled to the PSVR1 hardware in such a way that achieving BC without patching games would've been a lot of trouble.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd just played the Valkyrie Elesium demo which had L2 as pick up lol

At least no one ever replicated FFXV's brainfart of having jump and confirm on the same button.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmfao. what the gently caress

cerny what you playing at

ah well, i mean i got a psvr1 (new edition) hooked up so i cant complain too much, would have been nice to carry things over but the ps5 doesnt have that many usb slots and its gonna be a pain in the rear end to switch back and forth, im guessing the best poo poo will get ports tbh.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 16, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

Been talkin about it in the PSVR thread, no one was expecting BC due to the technical challenges involved. PSVR1 games were tightly coupled to the PSVR1 hardware in such a way that achieving BC without patching games would've been a lot of trouble.

i dont get how tho, is it the lightbar stuff?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's more that support for the very specific PSVR 1 hardware was baked into all the games and there's no way to slip in the new hardware and have them automatically know how to use it

The lightbar is part of it insofar as the PSVR 2 can't track a DS4 or dual sense, so any game that uses that would have to be redesigned, but it's also about how the headset sensors report their position and the positions of the controllers to the game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

PSVR1 games handle tracking in-engine via a library, not via an external API that Sony could make the PSVR2 mimic. So it's either patch games to add PSVR2 support, or emulate every detail of the PSVR1 hardware using PSVR2. Patching means wrangling publishers into doing work with inconsistent results, and emulating PSVR1 would be a tall mountain to climb since PSVR2's tracking works so differently. I'm hoping you're right and that the best games get ports, there are some gems worth saving.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Vikar Jerome posted:

It’s a lot of stuff, the way it works is just way different. The psvr1 tracked the headset and the motion controllers with the camera on the tv, and tracked it via the lights, so if your controller was behind your back and was hidden from the camera it couldn’t track it. But the psvr2 uses inside out tracking and tracks from the headset itself, from several cameras on the headset, so you’ll be able to turn around and play in 360 degrees, unlike the psvr. But yeah, the way it works is just very different from the psvr1, and they’ve basically always said that psvr games won’t be compatible with the psvr2.

Edit: oh I didn’t see acksplode’s post, but I also didn’t know that, I just assumed that even the basic difference in like the set of inputs it would receive from the cameras were so different that it would be hard to somehow make it work with the new headset.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 16, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Removed any hype I had for PSVR2.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Lol really? I mean they’ve basically said that since it was announced, and they also said they’d try to get as many psvr1 games remade for psvr2.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

Edit: oh I didn’t see acksplode’s post, but I also didn’t know that, I just assumed that even the basic difference in like the set of inputs it would receive from the cameras were so different that it would be hard to somehow make it work with the new headset.

If Sony was thinking ahead they could've processed tracking in the breakout box or something, and had games use a shimmable API that just gives them the end result, decoupled from the actual hardware. Then it would be a matter of having PSVR2 mimic that API. But PSVR1 was a late-gen PS4 hack and a new product in a niche market, so I get why they went their route.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
edit: oops wrong thread

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 16, 2022

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah it makes sense, it’s really crazy how the psvr feels like it was just hacked together like some sort of macgruber invention, repurposing ps3 motion controllers, the way the breakout box connects to everything with like 20 cables. It’s amazing that it worked as well as it did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hopefully we at least get Beatsaber.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah it makes sense, it’s really crazy how the psvr feels like it was just hacked together like some sort of macgruber invention, repurposing ps3 motion controllers, the way the breakout box connects to everything with like 20 cables. It’s amazing that it worked as well as it did.

Yeah from a certain perspective it's really impressive. It's like an internal proof of concept that some beleaguered hardware engineer scraps together from what's available and you don't hear about it until someone writes a book ten years later, except it managed to be good enough to sell.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully we at least get Beatsaber.

It'll be there, but you'll have to buy it again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really I am still waiting on the price. Considering how quiet Sony is being on this point, I am expecting it to hurt lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"we gotta find a way to make this *holds up oculus rift dev kit* fit into the holes on this *holds up PS4* using nothing but that *gestures to pile of Sony engineering patents*"

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
ok Sifu rules

beat the Botanist first try at age 30.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

ok Sifu rules

The club is about to ruin your day lol. If you're like me, Sekiro parry muscle memory carried you through stage 1, and you're about to enter the trough of gitting gud with the avoid mechanic.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

bows1 posted:

ok Sifu rules

Once you realize Sifu is just a long string of QTEs it’s no fun at all, and very easy.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once you realize Sifu is just a long string of QTEs it’s no fun at all, and very easy.

you could say the same about fromsoft games too :thunk:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any real-time game in which you are expected to perform a sequence of intended inputs is QTE, when you really think about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've played a few rounds of the Modern Warfare 2 beta (Team Deathmatch and Domination) and I'm happy to say that it's quite fun :) Feels better to play than Vanguard for sure.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once you realize Sifu is just a long string of QTEs it’s no fun at all, and very easy super zen and badass

Ftfy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
every time Sony makes up some bullshit reason about backwards compatibility not working, you just have to remember they literally made the hardware

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quantum of Phallus posted:

every time Sony makes up some bullshit reason about backwards compatibility not working, you just have to remember they literally made the hardware

I mean, having used said original hardware extensively, I can pretty easily see why the new version isn’t backwards compatible. :v:

The PR speak response of “it’s a true next generation experience” is dumb as hell, mind you, but the lack of BC at least does make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I'd also rather they focus on better improvements over backwards compatibility. I wonder how many people play their old favorite game for more than 30 minutes.