Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pixaal posted:

Wait people like that style? I thought it looked like poo poo. It's some weird middle ground between flat animation and high budget and it suffers for being a middle ground.It always looks like I'm doing way too much post processing in an emulator to me.

You see there was this movie, Spider-Man: into the Spider-verse, that was animated exactly like this, it was a massive hit, and won a ton of awards, even an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The_Doctor posted:

You see there was this movie, Spider-Man: into the Spider-verse, that was animated exactly like this, it was a massive hit, and won a ton of awards, even an Oscar.

Yes I thought it looked like poo poo. I had just assumed people liked it despite the bad visual choice. If people like it well okay. I guess I'm not in the majority but nothing can convince me to watch something made like that.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 13, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The_Doctor posted:

Except the Spider-verse models weren't nearly as polygonal and was animated as something higher than 15 fps. That animation style only works when you give it the quality it needs and while leaning into the comic book aesthetic.

That trailer looked like crap.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like it. :shrug:
I prefer the stop motion feel to the overly-smooth stuff you get when you put 30 FPS CG alongside 24 FPS 2D. (I know this is pure CG aside from FX. I just mean the way it moves.)

I'm fond of limited frame technique, though. I know a dude who's hired specifically because he can animate on 3s and 4s and his work slaps.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I think it worked a lot better in Spider-Verse because it brought comic books to mind since everyone there is a comic character.

That said, I don't think that Entergalactic thing looks bad even though I think the name is dumb :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Imagine thinking Spiderverse looked like poo poo. How embarrassing

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Macaluso posted:

Imagine thinking Spiderverse looked like poo poo. How embarrassing

Eh, it has an incredible art style, but the models and animation felt jerky. But the pure style was enough to elevate that to something good. Then again, I watched that one in cinema. I might want to give it a try on a proper monitor.

But yeah, I might play to many video games, but if there are really low slideshow framerates, where I can actually notice a pause between them I don't like it, since it just evokes a feeling of lag and graphic errors.

That effect is way more pronounced in 3d animation.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Eh, it has an incredible art style, but the models and animation felt jerky.

That might have been because Miles was animated at 12fps most of the movie clashing with everyone else at 24fps.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
That does look really pretty. It definitely stands out compared to most of the 3D stuff that's come out. Plus an adult story?

I'll watch it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know this is the thread for animation nerds & industry insiders, but Into the Spider-Verse is very widely regarded as one of the most impressive, beautiful, stylish, and visually distinct movies ever produced and posting “whoa people really like this crap? It looks like poo poo!” is absolutely peak edgelord goon bullshit and your sense of aesthetics is probably damaged, like those people whose brains can’t process classical music or whose tongues can’t taste cilantro correctly.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 14, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

.Z. posted:

That might have been because Miles was animated at 12fps most of the movie clashing with everyone else at 24fps.

And then he speeds up to 24 FPS at the end when he finally steps into the role of Spider-Man along with the other heroes. Spider-Verse is so goddamn good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is really good. It's the first show i've simply watched the full season in one sitting since Daredevil season 1. It is visually as impressive as I was hoping, and some of the animation sequences are certainly impressive, if not a teensy bit mind-blowing. Not for the faint of heart or the squeamish, but definitely a really awesome show that got amped up to replay the game and spend more time in this world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dear loving god they wasted an entire loving season of Harley Quinn to set up something they could've knocked out in two episodes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dear loving god they wasted an entire loving season of Harley Quinn to set up something they could've knocked out in two episodes.

Breaking Bad could've been done in like 8 episodes but that's not how stories work

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is really good. It's the first show i've simply watched the full season in one sitting since Daredevil season 1. It is visually as impressive as I was hoping, and some of the animation sequences are certainly impressive, if not a teensy bit mind-blowing. Not for the faint of heart or the squeamish, but definitely a really awesome show that got amped up to replay the game and spend more time in this world.

poo poo. i am gonna start tonight. the game is pretty good now that its current gen and patched to hell and back and a expansion is coming out next year. i keep hearing the show is great.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 16, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sockser posted:

Breaking Bad could've been done in like 8 episodes but that's not how stories work

Not really the point. They wasted six episodes of the ten this season basically lamenting the fact that they still don't have the juice to animate/release a proper Harley/Ivy sex scene, so instead we got to see Harley being annoying as gently caress. The season ended on what should've been ~Ep7 or 8.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not really the point. They wasted six episodes of the ten this season basically lamenting the fact that they still don't have the juice to animate/release a proper Harley/Ivy sex scene, so instead we got to see Harley being annoying as gently caress. The season ended on what should've been ~Ep7 or 8.

i mean would DC allow them too?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I guess the strong economy of writing was the one thing they forgot to take from the Venture Bros.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This post somehow makes less sense to me after finishing the season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly think they planned for thirteen episodes for this season, and then had the total order cut from 26 down to 20.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly think they planned for thirteen episodes for this season, and then had the total order cut from 26 down to 20.

Yeah, it felt like they thought they'd have more time then just said "gently caress it" when they got rejected.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

hmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Das you madlass, I made a noise when I saw that pop up. Naturally explaining my glee to the Mrs. went about how you'd think.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is this where we talk about Genddy Tatakovsky's Primal? CAUSE HOLY loving poo poo.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Jiro posted:

Is this where we talk about Genddy Tatakovsky's Primal? CAUSE HOLY loving poo poo.

Got its own thread

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jiro posted:

Its become an unwritten rule we give people some time Friday to watch it before going full spoiler mode so since last night every reply in that thread has been this post.

It was one hell of an episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Das you madlass, I made a noise when I saw that pop up. Naturally explaining my glee to the Mrs. went about how you'd think.

It was a very good thread.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I only perused that thread after the fact, but my heart is filled with glee.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Enjoying the 3rd Anus of Bad Box Art Megaman so far

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Data Graham posted:

Enjoying the 3rd Anus of Bad Box Art Megaman so far

I think the original anus is still the best.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Something from Kid Cudi that looks like he kidnapped a bunch of Spider-verse animators. i.e., it’s very pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pHCqZkXvY

Caught some shots animated on 6s in this trailer. haha, the madmen! "Can we make a movie with just key and breakdown poses?"

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I loved this show. The opening and especially the ending are so stylish.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the lawsuit against Tiffany Haddish snd Aries Spears got dropped.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/jane-doe-drops-suit-against-tiffany-haddish-aries-spears-1235224461/

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Watched Bee and Puppycat after reading people talking about it. I had reservations but after watching it I love everything about the show. It's a weird drugged up fantasyland ?adventure? (is temp work an adventure?) that still maintains an internal logic to it; the combination manages to avoid lolrandom and instead be pretty compelling, especially when set against the otherwise mundane nature of character motivations and interactions for much of the show.

also just wanna say the Cardamom's school field trip episode feels sort of like a long-overdue fanfic for 'How Ms. Frizzle finally got a boyfriend'

also can we talk about the elephant in the room: the cult of Pretty Patrick. Mind control? Monkey paw? Just that pretty?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 21, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first episode of the original just felt like they took the pilot and ruined the timing of its jokes

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oxxidation posted:

the first episode of the original just felt like they took the pilot and ruined the timing of its jokes
After watching the pilot again on YouTube, I really miss "You took too longggg, now your candy's gonnnnnnne!" and the timing of the umbrella crotch hit and scrambling to get the ice.
Every joke was changed for the worse as if they couldn't legally use the original script or something and didn't have a competent comedy writer for replacements.

Bee's manic energy was tuned way lower, too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JazzFlight posted:

After watching the pilot again on YouTube, I really miss "You took too longggg, now your candy's gonnnnnnne!" and the timing of the umbrella crotch hit and scrambling to get the ice.
Every joke was changed for the worse as if they couldn't legally use the original script or something and didn't have a competent comedy writer for replacements.

Bee's manic energy was tuned way lower, too.

This makes me not want to watch the reboot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's weird how Bee and Puppycat gets successively worse from the pilot to the frederator/kickstarter show to the netflix show

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I guess my partner and I are who the reboot was made for, haha. We really enjoy the "lo-fi beats to study to" vibe of the reboot.

I remember watching the first two episodes of the original when it first came out and really hated the pacing because it came across as a random monkey cheese humor webcomic of the 2000s brought to animation, and I did rewatch the first ep again after starting the reboot and felt the exact same way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the timing of the jokes and delivery being different is a function of the show going from 5 minute episodes to 20 minute episodes, and the long and stilted deliveries are probably closer to what Natasha Allegri wanted in the first place. I don’t really understand those complaints, TBH, it all feels like the same thing to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBmuiIIbZc

vivzipop is having their big Halloween merch sale. new tshirts/pins/posters/matts/etc it goes to help making the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching Tigtone and Lazor Wolf before HBO sends them into the tall grass

LW seems like the sort of meandering anti-humor I got tired of when ATHF was still airing but Tigtone’s made me guffaw a few times and the art is at turns great and fascinatingly grotesque (also great)