Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The satellite communication is a pretty big new feature. But it's revision one so not worth rushing for a new phone right now. But one or two more iterations (such as being able to send texts to family, even if they're pre-registered) it hopefully turns into a really useful feature.

But yeah, phone development has slowed way down. For day to day they're feature complete and have been for a while. Nothing wrong with that, if people buy fewer phones that's better for the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Skeezy posted:

I’m a yearly updater for some dumb rear end reason but when I did the update from 12 mini to 13 Pro I got in on athree year deal with ATT so I’m stuck till the 16 and honestly, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing if anything cool happens by then.

The iLand is neat but I’m not super into it right now. I feel like the 13 Pro does what I need it to do and the ProMotion was really the last big thing I wanted at this point I think.

Doesn’t your agreement renew every time you upgrade?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

The satellite communication is a pretty big new feature. But it's revision one so not worth rushing for a new phone right now. But one or two more iterations (such as being able to send texts to family, even if they're pre-registered) it hopefully turns into a really useful feature.

But yeah, phone development has slowed way down. For day to day they're feature complete and have been for a while. Nothing wrong with that, if people buy fewer phones that's better for the planet.

I'm using it as an opportunity to upgrade my watch as mentioned and my iPad. I still have the OG air stuck on iOS 12 something so it's time. I'll go a mini though, I think.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Laserface posted:

I'm using it as an opportunity to upgrade my watch as mentioned and my iPad. I still have the OG air stuck on iOS 12 something so it's time. I'll go a mini though, I think.

That’s gonna be a big difference.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to look at an Apple Music library without being subscribed? My free trials finally ran out and I want to go back to a different platform but I don’t remember what I’ve added since using AM

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to look at an Apple Music library without being subscribed? My free trials finally ran out and I want to go back to a different platform but I don’t remember what I’ve added since using AM

https://music.apple.com/us/browse -- I opened that up in an incognito window and was able to peruse their catalog freely. Oh wait I misread, lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Doesn’t your agreement renew every time you upgrade?

When I got the 12 there wasn't any three year thing attached to it. For the 13 there was.

Honestly might go the route of just buying the phone outright next time as opposed to carrier stuff, but I'm not sure yet. Not really in a rush for this now.

Edit:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

As far as I know you can't do this, since there's no free version once your access is up you'll keep getting the ad to subscribe.

But I might be making this up, I'm totally assuming that's what would happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Got my 14 Pro a half hour ago.

The Canadian shipped units direct from Apple do have the sim tray, if anyone was wondering.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Picked up a Deep Purple Pro. Opted for instore pickup and it took all of 5 minutes. Coming from a regular 11 the high refresh OLED screen is amazing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Reddit is getting weird about night photos now. There’s a comparison between a pixel 6 and and a 14 something, and people are falling head over heels for the oversaturated colours on the pixel shot.

Yeah that's the thread I saw. People are already trashing the phone before even getting it, psyching themselves up for disappointment early.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Completely forgot about the higher refresh rate. Will be a nice bump from 12pro

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TraderStav posted:

You're look at your old phone with disgust. It's so nice

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

101 posted:

You're look at your old phone with disgust. It's so nice

The worst part about the 14 pro is that it doesn't come in this beautiful blue. I'm really going to miss it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TraderStav posted:

That'll be a neat new feature to look forward to when I upgrade maybe next year

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Apple Music deletes your library and playlists pretty quickly after you drop the subscription. Three months I believe.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if the Island will stick around or if it’s just a gimmicky stopgap until whatever redesign they got planned for the big 15.

Also, for those of you with the 14 Pro, do they finally allow for more items in the upper status bar, like when headphones are connected? I don’t mind the notch, but it was annoying when the 13 Pro had a narrower notch that didn’t change the UI at all. I still gotta swipe down to ensure my pods are connected like a cave dweller :argh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

I wonder if the Island will stick around or if it’s just a gimmicky stopgap until whatever redesign they got planned for the big 15.

Honestly I think it’s wild to think the island would only be around for a year, or that the tech that would replace it is easily available. Really temper your expectations for the 15.

Is there a precedent at all of Apple publicly releasing something that third party devs can hook into and killing it after a year?

The only thing that fits that bill somewhat would be the MacBook touchbar?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dynamic island is definitely a stopgap, but it's also a pretty nice one. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

To me, Apple being cute and giving it a name sounds like it'll be something they could keep for the next couple of years. It's a talking point especially with the Dynamic Island name, it's not just a notch.

At least that's what I think Apple would think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This Dynamic Island Earth

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My sense is if we get to the point where the display cut outs are no longer necessary, then what’s in the dynamic island now will show up in that general area, and it’ll be completely invisible when the iPhone 14 is displaying just the cut out

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rolo posted:

My 13 pro is getting hot under regular indoor use since I upgraded to iOS 16. Anyone else have that happen? I’ve reset the thing and typing this out on the Awful app I can feel my phone getting hotter.

I know it ain’t my postin’

My 12 pro also had this issue, but only when plugged in for an hour drive on Carplay. Was bad enough that the bluetooth audio started getting garbled. Early on the screen dimming happened. Near the end of my drive I got a message that charging has been stopped until the temperature comes down. For the six hours afterwards, no issues whatsoever. Drove home, same thing happened and never returned.

This has been the only time since I upgraded on day one of iOS16 that it happened. Strange.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

Honestly I think it’s wild to think the island would only be around for a year, or that the tech that would replace it is easily available. Really temper your expectations for the 15.

Is there a precedent at all of Apple publicly releasing something that third party devs can hook into and killing it after a year?

The only thing that fits that bill somewhat would be the MacBook touchbar?

3D Touch was only around for like 3 years at most

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can we get a Dynamic Island trip report?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Needs suiting. Animations are extremely clean and smooth. Works out of the box with all audio apps. Excited to see what third parties can do and to get some sports scores up there

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1570825859627651072

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone else having sim -> esim transfer issues? On AT&T for me

Edit: Activated after about an hour, hooray

pzy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 16, 2022

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

cool concept but the video shows massive frame drops when the ball hits the island.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am once again posting about the apple trial offers found in the Target store app, assuming you haven’t claimed this one yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

calusari posted:

cool concept but the video shows massive frame drops when the ball hits the island.

Yeah the dev was just on Twitter yesterday saying they have framerate issues to sort out.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

The iPhone X introduced the notch (at the same time that the last "new" Touch ID phone came out) in 20182017 in the high-end only phone. Now in 2022 they introduce the first island design (at the same time, perhaps, the last "new" notch phone comes out) in the high end only phone. The notch heralded the end of the home button and the new swipey-swipey interface. They've clearly put a lot of effort into the UX/UI of the island including APIs they are asking developers to use. I think it's very likely we'll have it for 4 or more years.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 16, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Skeezy posted:

I’m a yearly updater for some dumb rear end reason but when I did the update from 12 mini to 13 Pro I got in on athree year deal with ATT so I’m stuck till the 16 and honestly, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing if anything cool happens by then.

The iLand is neat but I’m not super into it right now. I feel like the 13 Pro does what I need it to do and the ProMotion was really the last big thing I wanted at this point I think.

I wasn't going to upgrade this year, but I saw the $1000 trade in credit from ATT, and it seemed to be the best way to get value out of my 12 Pro Max. 14 Pro Max came to $2 a month with trade in over 3 years.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ok what the gently caress is this?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Am I missing something obvious?

Can I only have different songs as my iPhone alarm if I have an active imusic subscription?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

Looks like a screen recording of a timer Dynamic Island widget OP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Am I missing something obvious?

Can I only have different songs as my iPhone alarm if I have an active imusic subscription?

What the hell is imusic.

Also, I would imagine the song would have to physically be in your phone's music library for it to be available for that.

I also found this:

https://techwiser.com/how-set-song-alarm-iphone/

"You would only be able to set a song as an alarm if you have a purchased a song with iTunes or have an active Apple Music subscription."

I don't know if that's true or not.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have a custom alarm with music I ripped myself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

American McGay posted:

Looks like a screen recording of a timer Dynamic Island widget OP.

Watch the little orange clock when it hits the bottom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably some sort of visual flourish to alert you that your timer is halfway done. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shifty Pony posted:

stebe would never have allowed this