Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dreylad posted:

Just got Kate Beaton's graphic novel, Ducks, about working in the tar sands. highly recommend

is that related to her old webcomics about that time? I remember reading those ages ago and they were excellent.

oh and if anyone has kids or grandkids The Princess and the Pony is the best picture book ever. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Documents show Edmonton Police Service had plan to mass-arrest counter-protestors during February Freedom Convoy demonstrations

Because of course they did.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Doesn't surprise me at all. In Calgary, they ended up arresting three counter-protestors and I think one or two of the Freedom idiots.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Just doing their job.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Oct 29, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

convoy pamps

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BGrifter posted:

is that related to her old webcomics about that time? I remember reading those ages ago and they were excellent.

oh and if anyone has kids or grandkids The Princess and the Pony is the best picture book ever. :3:

It is, it's a full blown graphic novel about her time working in the tar sands. It's pretty brutal reading at times.

She also has another kid's book, King Baby, which is also great!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

It is, it's a full blown graphic novel about her time working in the tar sands. It's pretty brutal reading at times.

She also has another kid's book, King Baby, which is also great!

I remember reading the lengthy five part Ducks she posted online and it was really good but really brutal. Do you know if the print version has more than that, or is it just those same webcomics in print format?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

vyelkin posted:

I remember reading the lengthy five part Ducks she posted online and it was really good but really brutal. Do you know if the print version has more than that, or is it just those same webcomics in print format?

The book is like $50 so I guess so.

I just read through the webcomic and way too much of it was familiar even though I only worked on conventional rigs instead of up north

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

It's greatly expanded version of those webcomics. About 430 page long graphic novel, with a written afterward. It does an incredible reflecting on what it's like to work on the tar sands, from the environmental damage, how living in isolation affects everyone in different ways, the harassment and assault she had to deal with, the impact on indigenous communities and it still extends empathy to pretty much every character in the book. It also contextualizes her own decision to work out there as part of a tradition in the Maritimes of going elsewhere to be cheap labour. It's a real accomplishment.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if you want shes on tour right now in support of Ducks go see her https://drawnandquarterly.com/event/kate-beaton-on-tour-with-ducks/

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a talk Kate gave online about the book

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Futanari Damacy posted:

Remember the convoy guy in Ottawa who tried to burn down an apartment building full of people sleeping? Strange that that'd be memory holed like it was. I wonder if he ever made lieutenant.

Arent they still barricaded in Saint Brigids Church? They refused to pay rent or something and the cops hadnt rousted them the last I heard.

Luckily they have not started displaying Saint Brigids Cross, so theres that at least.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Starting to think some cops may be bastards. I work, uh, three blocks from this video site and this is not at all unusual.

https://twitter.com/ProgressAlberta/status/1570816266910441475

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Countdown in the comments to "well we don't know what happened before the video started!" was about one hour

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
What happened is that she didn't respect his authority, and we all know that can't happen. Reminds me of the McLeod case where again; an EPS officer drives his knee into the back of a prone unresisting native guy who had the audacity to run away from the police.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I remember when Kate Beaton very briefly joined us here on the SA forums (LF) and was immediately creeped / scared out by average goon behaviour towards her lmfao

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We're the worst.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Chillyrabbit posted:

What happened is that she didn't respect his authority, and we all know that can't happen. Reminds me of the McLeod case where again; an EPS officer drives his knee into the back of a prone unresisting native guy who had the audacity to run away from the police.

Maybe she was just seeking MAID by cop

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

odiv posted:

We're the worst.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hubbert posted:

I remember when Kate Beaton very briefly joined us here on the SA forums (LF) and was immediately creeped / scared out by average goon behaviour towards her lmfao

IIRC, according to her that's not exactly what happened. The creepiness certainly didn't help (though she dismissed it as nbd compared to other stuff she's had to deal with online), but ultimately she left because she just didn't find the forums interesting enough to continue bothering with.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We're boring and we're the worst.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Seriously, how much deeper in SA's collective soul could that have hit? "It's not the creeps that bother me, it's just how boring the place is"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The tears from permabanned posters could fill a tail pond

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember when a poster from that political cartoons thread went to a meet and greet with JR Rose, a political cartoonist and the artist of Snuffy Smith, and he was the only person there below age 70.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did anyone tell her you're not supposed to read the threads, just post?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Falstaff posted:

IIRC, according to her that's not exactly what happened. The creepiness certainly didn't help (though she dismissed it as nbd compared to other stuff she's had to deal with online), but ultimately she left because she just didn't find the forums interesting enough to continue bothering with.

kate-san ... :negative:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ducks was a pretty good read and made me do a cry.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Remember the convoy guy in Ottawa who tried to burn down an apartment building full of people sleeping? Strange that that'd be memory holed like it was. I wonder if he ever made lieutenant.

Yeah that wasn't a convoy guy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

odiv posted:

We're the worst.

I'm pretty good tbh

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I suck enough for at least two posters worth

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

UK terfs have some work to do, there's a guy in BC running for school trustee who is sending nudes of trans children to people:

https://twitter.com/drex/status/1571135388558987270?t=UB7Q-X6v17Oxj3IT9YjT7Q&s=19

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

UK terfs have some work to do, there's a guy in BC running for school trustee who is sending nudes of trans children to people:

https://twitter.com/drex/status/1571135388558987270?t=UB7Q-X6v17Oxj3IT9YjT7Q&s=19

"Oh these? I just keep them on my phone to own the libs haha"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what the gently caress

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

what the gently caress

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh boy. Buddy let me tell you about retirement. You probably aren't gonna like what I have to say.

Our culture trains people to work until death.

The communists somehow lost the PR war to the "do what your boss tells you" people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Falstaff posted:

I like how the story about this over the years has gone from "goons creeped her out and she left" -> "the goons apologizing to her in PMs about the creepy goons creeped her out and she left" -> "the forums are boring"

honestly that makes the most sense anyway

also

vyelkin posted:

what the gently caress

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Some people just don't like to post and they'll be the first against the wall

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that has to be actual "sex crimes" territory, surely