Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Papercut posted:

I played rf inquis mostly on the deck last league and it's pretty good. It actually runs better than it does on my PC lol. But also I found that I'd rather just play other genres that are better suited for controller.

Yeah I think I would be better suited playing other stuff on the deck but it's nice to know it's an option now! playing PoE on my PS5 was always going to be a no-go since I have like thousands of dollars in MTX on steam and they don't cross platform that stuff for whatever reason

My PC is a 10 year old i7 3220k or something like that, with a 970 gtx. I imagine the deck can do as good or better lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It should work, but it's probably overkill. I'd recommend the Anker 713 (Nano II 45W) or 715 (Nano II 65W). Those two will perform identically on the deck and are essentially the same size. Occasionally the 65W model goes on sale, as it is right now, so it's currently $5 cheaper than the 45W.

This goes on sale for $65 often and might be a little more versatile for most people - it can charge your laptop at 100w!

Limited-time deal: Anker 100W USB C Charger, 736 Charger (Nano II 100W), 3-Port Fast Compact Wall Charger for MacBook Pro/Air, Google Pixelbook, ThinkPad, Dell XPS, iPad Pro, Galaxy S22/S20, iPhone 13/Pro, and More https://a.co/d/dWdn9bN

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Chas McGill posted:

How are you controlling it?

the default controller configuration, which they added in at some point to the PC version. abilities on face + shoulder buttons, potions on d-pad + bumpers (most custom set-ups seems to reverse this, presumably because accessing your potions quickly will become more important when the game gets hard). it plays a lot like the console versions of diablo except, you know, better.

it's also running at a butter smooth 60fps so far with default graphics but i'm only in act 2.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any recommendations for shooter games to adjust to the gyro controls? I'm not that used to it, and I figure jumping into something like Ultrakill, which I'm not good at with KB&M, wouldn't be the best way to learn.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any recommendations for shooter games to adjust to the gyro controls? I'm not that used to it, and I figure jumping into something like Ultrakill, which I'm not good at with KB&M, wouldn't be the best way to learn.

Prey should be good for getting used to gyro fps

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got my deck yesterday and swapped the hard drive. Those tiny shield screws are tight and I nearly stripped one. Otherwise painless process. I need to open it back up again because there's a rattle around the left trigger when gently shaking the deck. This was there before I started though. Saw another post where a guy find an extra screw in his, who knows what I'll get...

So far I've played zero games and spent a good few hours setting up and downloading junk. I've never used Linux in any form so this is a bit of a learning curve. Feels like there still a billion little things I don't know.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp, thanks thread, I got my Deck yesterday, plugged it in, set it up, sniffed the top vent, and played Vampire Survivors for 2 hours.

I think there's something in the vent fumes, because I'd been thinking you were all weirdos for freaking out about VS but drat if it isn't enjoyable.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Foul Fowl posted:

the default controller configuration, which they added in at some point to the PC version. abilities on face + shoulder buttons, potions on d-pad + bumpers (most custom set-ups seems to reverse this, presumably because accessing your potions quickly will become more important when the game gets hard). it plays a lot like the console versions of diablo except, you know, better.

it's also running at a butter smooth 60fps so far with default graphics but i'm only in act 2.

Sounds good. I've never played much PoE but I wanna try it on the deck.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Lord Bob posted:

I get it. I'm with you. I'm not quite at the full skin crawl with them, but find them very unpleasant to touch, that horrible roughness just feels like grating my thumb.

There are dozens of us.

(see also: the noise of someone rubbing a guitar string, anything to do with corduroy trousers)
So this is what it feels like...when doves cry :glomp:

Dozens of us? I've finally found my people :qq:

Not with you on corduroy or guitar string though. What a weirdo!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I haven't used steam in like 20 years, where I had hl2, Peggle nights, C-S, TF2, and portal. Maybe a few other things. But somewhere along the line I made a SECOND steam account and recently realized, wait a minute, my Peggle is gone! I contacted steam and they can Not merge accounts, even when it's the same email address. So I'd have to log into my old account if I wanted to play those games which blows, but is not the end of the world. Thanks for nothing steam!

Anyway sorry for rant . I am going to try to get the PS5 streamy thing working on here today

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think there's something in the vent fumes, because I'd been thinking you were all weirdos for freaking out about VS but drat if it isn't enjoyable.

It's the Deck Steam :ssh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I haven't used steam in like 20 years, where I had hl2, Peggle nights, C-S, TF2, and portal. Maybe a few other things. But somewhere along the line I made a SECOND steam account and recently realized, wait a minute, my Peggle is gone! I contacted steam and they can Not merge accounts, even when it's the same email address. So I'd have to log into my old account if I wanted to play those games which blows, but is not the end of the world. Thanks for nothing steam!

Anyway sorry for rant . I am going to try to get the PS5 streamy thing working on here today

haven’t checked but I imagine all those games are like $2 during a sale. but yeah I emailed gabe about changing my username like 15 years ago and they never figured out how to do it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Thanks for nothing steam!
The Valve Complete Pack goes on sale for $13.14 USD a few times a year and should include all of that and quite a bit more. So if you can hold out until Black Friday time you should be set.

Edit: Well I guess not Peggle Nights. What is that anyways?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wilkins Micawber posted:

The deck is good but I am really not big on the plastics they used in it's construction. I'm really sensitive to these things I think. The body is fine enough, albeit pretty rough and kinda cheap feeling, which makes hand oil stand out. But my god, the track pads make my skin crawl kinda like I'm eating an M&M and the outer coating is starting to dissolve to reveal the gritty layer underneath. loving blech! Yeah I think I have OCD before you ask.

The sticks are kind of dreadful, at least in texture. I was about to write them off as being complete trash but today I was playing Aperture Desk Job and realized the stick tops are touch sensitive, like you need to be in contact to engage gyro. Cool I guess, but I question it's implementation over something more standard. I'm still unfamiliar with the device so maybe there are aspects I don't grasp. But from a tactile sense perspective, choosing trackpad material over a textured rubber is like an "oh God why" decision. It's made even worse by having a kind of "diamondy sandpaper" border on the edge of the top of the stick.

Ok uh sorry rant over. I'm usually pretty alone in these assessments. Otherwise this hardware is really cool

What the gently caress

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Need to figure out how to disable windows updates forever

Install enterprise edition
Set gpo policy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The one that came with Orange Box was Peggle Extreme and it's free on Steam

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Oh hell yeah. I only have The Orange Box for 360, and right now the disc drive doesn't open, so this rules. Thank u

Being out of the Valve Loop for so many years, I bet there are all kinds of free games that just don't get talked about anymore. I really enjoyed Aperture Desk Job.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Supposedly the Deck handles multiple accounts pretty well, you might just be able to stick both your accounts on there if you still have the username and password for your first one and just swap around when you need to. I'm not sure because I've only ever had one Steam account, but it's what I've heard.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1059990/Trombone_Champ/

This is a goon game that just came out but I think it's something special on the deck. Download one of the gyro controls and invert the controls and I think you have one of the coolest uses of the deck yet.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Anybody have any recommendations for a joystick cap that doesn't gently caress with the touch detection of the Deck? For whatever reason the texture of the sticks is making my thumbs feel weirdly itchy and I don't like it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Vegastar posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a joystick cap that doesn't gently caress with the touch detection of the Deck? For whatever reason the texture of the sticks is making my thumbs feel weirdly itchy and I don't like it.

None that I’m aware. Even the Gulikit Steam Deck stick replacements don’t come with them as they expect you to move the caps over for the touch sensors.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have permanent brain worms that make me update everything anytime an update is available even though I know it will break poo poo.

Let me tell you about Gentoo Linux...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:lmao: of course it's already a thing... I mean, the battery and bad heat ventilation make the Deck the perfect machine to compile everything from source.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vegastar posted:

You probably already know this, but you can move the gyro activation to any button you want. Personally I like it on the left trigger, but I can se wanting them on the capacitive stick buttons if you are using them constantly

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

All you people with weird texture issues (it's an autism thing, right? I always hated the feeling of paper towels growing up) should probably get a dbrand skin or something.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if I buy a game on my desktop can I tell my steam deck to download it?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

blue squares posted:

if I buy a game on my desktop can I tell my steam deck to download it?

yes (open platform) but there's no easy available way to do it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also if I want to play digital board games with my gf, can one of us use my desktop and the other use steam deck and play each other? or would that not work since it would be my same account on both devices?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can't run the same game more than once on the same account.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Tried New Vegas today and the only way I could get the controller to respond is to force compatibility. Is that normal for New Vegas? I haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No it worked great for me.

I have had quite a few deck games where the controller isn't recognized the first time I boot it up and have to restart it and it's fixed. Did you try that?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

No it worked great for me.

I have had quite a few deck games where the controller isn't recognized the first time I boot it up and have to restart it and it's fixed. Did you try that?

Yeah, I restarted both just the game and deck. Maybe I’ll try a reinstall to see what happens. Thanks for checking.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Tried New Vegas today and the only way I could get the controller to respond is to force compatibility. Is that normal for New Vegas? I haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

Did you turn controllers on in New Vegas's options? Fallout 3 & NV don't have dynamic controller support, you need to actually toggle between controller and KB&M in the options.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Veotax posted:

Did you turn controllers on in New Vegas's options? Fallout 3 & NV don't have dynamic controller support, you need to actually toggle between controller and KB&M in the options.

I didn’t see the option, when I went to key bindings and clicked on device it just switched from keyboard to mouse. As soon and I restarted after forced compatibility I saw new settings for the controller.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How does modding NV work on this thing?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's amazing how well RDR2 runs now after you increase the page file and use FSR. I'm getting around 40fps with the refresh rate at that and the Steam Deck is quiet. Love it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

It's amazing how well RDR2 runs now after you increase the page file and use FSR. I'm getting around 40fps with the refresh rate at that and the Steam Deck is quiet. Love it.

Are you using the FSR 2.0 mod?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
No what's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a straightforward way to install windows on the deck

I put win 11 on an SD card but can't find any instructions to boot from the SD card, the only stuff I found was on the steam support page which said you'd need to wipe steamOS which seems uh, counterintuitive