Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Bad Suki story may start kinda corny but trust me folks this is going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

I think one of the things which keeps me amused about DSotH is the fact that it repeats set-ups, but gives different punchlines. I remember the start of this strip before, but ending with Horace walking off with the For Sale sign. It's a comedic rug-pull which I very much appreciate.

I agree, it does that well and in a way that even things like "elevator gag week" feel refreshing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 7/29/35

"Darling, smell this flower for mother."

Scans differently in the Covid era.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don’t care how modern and topical it is, nobody is going to make me care about Gil Thorp.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

readingatwork posted:

Just. Stop. Hiring. Him. Nobody is making you do this.

Seriously, Dustin must have dirt on this woman or something?

She's the woman in charge of the placement/temp agency. So she's not hiring him so much as pimping him out.

And the reason the authors won't allow this train to stop is because then Dustin might be seen as sympathetic, since not even a temp agency will try and staff him anywhere.

Let's also keep in mind that (IIRC) Dustin has either an English degree (lousy liberal arts major) or a Teaching degree, in this time of real world teacher shortage. He's even substituted several times, but oh no, can't have real character growth.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

And we're only halfway through.

My understanding was that the "halfway through" comment referred to the bigger "Death of the Phantom" storyline, which I think started in 2017? Mozz's Gravelines story is just part of that, so it could end at any time or go on for the next five years.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (April 23-29, 1984)

The Fugitive was a crime drama that aired 1963-67 about a man falsely convicted of murdering his wife. He spends the entire series tracking down the real killer to clear his name (notably, he succeeds in the final episode, back when it was rare for TV shows to have a proper conclusion)

Bullwinkle

While we're on Bullwinkle, the book contained a bunch of promo arts the syndicate sent to papers to promote the strip. One of the said arts is this one

Gotta say, wow.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

~Coxy posted:

That's the one that gets you, not the bananas 9-11 tribute?

:ssh: Any time a comic I post seems a little too bonkers, too risque, or too funny, be sure to mouse over it to see if it's clickable. :haw:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

~Coxy posted:

That's the one that gets you, not the bananas 9-11 tribute?

I thought I did link the 9-11…. Tribute?
Iphone links his posts oddly. I had to click a bunch but the fact is that comic is so bad I believed the edit.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 16, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I think Mozz said this would be the end of the Walker line of Phantoms. Genetically, obviously that's not true, but as far as training and all I guess it is. The new Phantom line would more be a product of Savarna.
This can only be an improvement.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Just wanted to say that I like Into Ilves, he's always got some wild stuff going on.
Just wanted to say that I've been reading this strip's title as Into Lives for months now.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The Marine Biologist

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Really liking Hagar and Zits right now!

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh JimJimmyJim, you scamp.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Really liking Hagar and Zits right now!

Bird is a good new character, but I think I liked Sloth more.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sounds to me like Dustin needs a better job counselor who isn't a turd.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I've said it before but I first learned about Lynda Barry through her book "Cruddy" and this is whole stretch of comics is very reminiscent of that book, so if you're in the mood for a story about crime and revenge and hating the world as a teenager and dig her prose style, you will probably like Cruddy.

THE NINTENDO WII AND MICROAGGRESSIONS, BABY! YEAH!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
A bit of a break on Uramachi Sakaba while I prep the next chapter, but here's Cthulhu and Girl!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

NRVNQSR posted:

My understanding was that the "halfway through" comment referred to the bigger "Death of the Phantom" storyline, which I think started in 2017? Mozz's Gravelines story is just part of that, so it could end at any time or go on for the next five years.

Tony DePaul said in February of 2022 that "the story we’re telling began on May 24 last year and easily has another year to run, likely more."

So the absolute earliest this story will wind down in February 2023. Like I said the last time people were grumbling over how long this is, "buckle up!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Transmodiar posted:

Tony DePaul said in February of 2022 that "the story we’re telling began on May 24 last year and easily has another year to run, likely more."
B

By February, Savarna's twins will be of age, will have killed Kit, Heloise, and Mozz, and have become Phantoms in their own right. Guran will still be around.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Tigers enjoy water. Why, if your one joke is '[species] SURE HAS [trait], EH? EH? EHHHHHH???', can you not get the actual traits right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
God, Marlys is good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

The Wii was approaching its 3 year anniversary when these ran. Was Holbrook working off of a Batiuk "Yeah lemme bank like 2 years worth of strips in advance" model or something? Anyhow I continue to hate his work.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the sportsmen take home a souvenir. Two of them, depending on how you count 'em. (October 9-11, 1922)

The 1922 World Series, if you're curious.

Toonerville Folks (January 5-7, 1920)

A quick sidebar: this was around the time that the Seattle Times started a dedicated daily comics page, and one day when they were running tight on space, some wiseacre thought the typesetter could letter the Trolley panel better than the fabulous Mr. Fox could. It ended as expected.

Dok's Dippy Villa Satire (May 9, 1914; timg'd for (ugh) more period appropriate racism)

Little Lefty (May 13 and 15, 1937 (no strip in the Worker for the 14th))

Blondie From Zero (November 3-5, 1932)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/choochoobear/status/1570537503127670784
saw this today and it reminded me of one reason I enjoy the vintage/translated stuff in this thread.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I could believe 1000-year-old Crankshaft not recognizing one of the world's biggest movie stars and his wife, but this is getting ridiculous...albeit completely ordinary for Batiuk strips, where a guy who starred in a massive superhero franchise (and a weird pseudo-successful adaptation of Lisa's Story that somehow both flopped and earned at least one Oscar nomination) regularly just jets out to suburban Ohio and draws absolutely no media attention.

Didn't know about this one -- Battling Siki, the Senegalese world light heavyweight champion.

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

While we're on Bullwinkle, the book contained a bunch of promo arts the syndicate sent to papers to promote the strip. One of the said arts is this one

Gotta say, wow.

Just in case anyone is missing the wow part of this one, it's a reference to this:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Holy loving hell, Marlys

Bruceski posted:

https://twitter.com/choochoobear/status/1570537503127670784
saw this today and it reminded me of one reason I enjoy the vintage/translated stuff in this thread.

And, on that note, here's today's Blueberry: Blueberry's played enough Ace Attorney to know that simply proving your innocence ain't enough, or Y'know - I don't think we've seen a person leave a train that's pulled into a station like normal in this ENTIRE story, or Jim abuses his medical exemption

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (April 23-29, 1984)

I've been reading these up till now but I'm giving up - for the same reason I've given up on many of the old strips people post here, which is just that they're posted in batches. I see an entire week of strips (or less, if they're particularly wordy) in a single post and I just have to scroll past because I can't bring myself to read it all at once.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I gave up because it’s always the same joke.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I think Arnold is extremely interesting historically so i've been enjoying it a lot, thanks Mister Beeg! The format is also great, i want to read a week's worth of most comics at a time lol

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 10, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

:psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drakyn posted:

Tigers enjoy water. Why, if your one joke is '[species] SURE HAS [trait], EH? EH? EHHHHHH???', can you not get the actual traits right?

Reminder that this dumb motherfucker thought cats wag their tails when they're happy.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 26, 1953)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Reminder that this dumb motherfucker thought cats wag their tails when they're happy.

Tiggum posted:

I've been reading these up till now but I'm giving up - for the same reason I've given up on many of the old strips people post here, which is just that they're posted in batches. I see an entire week of strips (or less, if they're particularly wordy) in a single post and I just have to scroll past because I can't bring myself to read it all at once.

riderchop posted:

I think Arnold is extremely interesting historically so i've been enjoying it a lot, thanks Mister Beeg! The format is also great, i want to read a week's worth of most comics at a time lo
And for the full spectrum of opinion, I don't like Arnold but don't mind reading a week's worth of something I DO like at once. The world is vast and varied, and so are its peoples.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 17, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "462 - Jucika And The Ship Inauguration"

"részeg fráter = drunk bastard"

"463 - Jucika Wakes Up"

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Arnold has weirdly grown on me and I'm not sure why. I think it's just cuz he's such a weirdly grotesque little guy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail