Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's very stupid that Americans are allowed set up their own personal madrasas and that they can enroll vulnerable children even without accreditation. This will definitely ruin some people's lives even if by some miracle none of the kids get murdered or diddled

It's another odd consequence of the particularly North American view of "freedom," where "freedom" means the ability for (mostly rich) people to treat their children as property rather than human beings with their own rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
This is hosed and needs to be even bigger news :stonk:
https://twitter.com/HannahAllam/status/1570375512438050818

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just north of where I grew up, I'll add this horrifying story to the long list of reasons Oklahoma should be given completely back to Native Americans. C'mon, finish the job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Just north of where I grew up, I'll add this horrifying story to the long list of reasons Oklahoma should be given completely back to Native Americans. C'mon, finish the job.

TIL commercial bail bonds were a thing.

Add another to the “what the gently caress?” America list.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yeah, what a nightmare read. As a kid my grandpa lived right by lake arcadia so I'd be up there all the time in the summer. Deranged poo poo.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department may have the worst ongoing misconduct of any department in the nation (Google LASD gangs). Democrat Alex Villanueva took over in 2018 on a pledge to reform the department's blatant corruption, abuse, and disregard of any potentially inconvenient laws.

Everyone say it together: "There is always more..."
https://mobile.twitter.com/AleneTchek/status/1570838019669893120

quote:

A Superior Court judge on Thursday ordered Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials to stop searching certain computers seized as part of the sprawling raids tied to an investigation into the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s contracts with a domestic violence nonprofit.

The order from Judge William Ryan applies solely to computers sheriff’s investigators took from Metro’s Office of Inspector General, whose attorney filed papers Thursday asking the judge to toss the search warrant.

Sure but that could be for any reaso...

quote:

The judge set a hearing for next week, demanding answers to a list of questions about how and why the warrant was secured, and why key details were omitted from the judge, Craig Richman, who signed it.

Look. I'm sure they're just innocuous questio

quote:

Ryan also asked why sheriff’s investigators omitted from Richman that [ ]the other judge, Eleanor Hunter, had decided just two weeks ago to appoint a special master to oversee the search of the inspector general’s computers[/b]. Hunter said at the Sept. 1 hearing that she was appointing a special master to make sure materials that could be privileged under the attorney-client privilege are sealed.

“Why, after Judge Hunter was going to require a Special Master, did the Sheriff immediately seek a warrant from a different judge, and who made that decision?” Ryan asked.

Okay, sure, maybe there was a little judgeshopping happening but there's no way to suspect that they knew the different judge would give favorable treamen

quote:

Richman and Lillienfeld have a decades-long relationship.

They have known each other since at least 1996, when Richman was a prosecutor handling an attempted murder case Lillienfeld investigated. The detective would later visit the judge’s home to get warrants signed. Lillienfeld’s wife worked in Richman’s courtroom, transcribing hearings as an official court reporter.
LA isn't that big though, it's just some social connection, no hint of anything imprope

quote:

Their relationship came under scrutiny several years ago when there was an internal Sheriff’s Department inquiry into whether Lillienfeld tried to help Richman out of legal trouble.

The Acabrocats!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Performative cruelty does activate the GOP base, yes. It also spends the money of blue states while saving your own and forces their governments to do things that activate the local GOP base against them (like showing compassion)

Florida and Texas probably spent more on transporting them to blue states then the blue states spent to help the immigrants. This stunt serves more than just performative cruelty, it's a way to funnel state funds to donors or their own bank accounts.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I heard a snippet of some Fox News chud talking about the Reverse Freedom Ride to Martha's Vineyard this morning. He said "Let's see how the liberals like the undocumented in their communities!" or some kind of nonsense like that. And it's like... where do they think libs live? Any major city is full of undocumented people. Here in NYC, the undocumented population is sometimes reported to be an eighth of the entire population. We live in these cities and we loving like it. We like the food, we like that not everyone's white, we like that neighborhoods have their own character. How dumb are these people?

Edit: it reminds me of the people who (used to?) howl about Sharia Law in their towns, where everyone is white and no Muslims exist. I always thought, you're giving your bumfuck town too much credit here, Muslims don't want to live there, buddy.

small butter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 16, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So are "special masters" common things and if so why is this only the second time I've heard it come up ever

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

small butter posted:

I heard a snippet of some Fox News chud talking about the Reverse Freedom Ride to Martha's Vineyard this morning. He said "Let's see how the liberals like the undocumented in their communities!" or some kind of nonsense like that. And it's like... where do they think libs live? Any major city is full of undocumented people. Here in NYC, the undocumented population is sometimes reported to be an eighth of the entire population. We live in these cities and we loving like it. We like the food, we like that not everyone's white, we like that neighborhoods have their own character. How dumb are these people?

Martha's Vineyard is not a major city, its a literal island 70 miles away from major cities. You ("we") who lives in NYC have less in common with them than they do to the people who live in Montauk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hell the non US citizen pop of New York City is so high that they even tried to just givem them votes for city only level stuff. (to bad that was suspended/challenged though.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RBA Starblade posted:

So are "special masters" common things and if so why is this only the second time I've heard it come up ever

Yes, they are fairly common in general. But, extremely uncommon (literally unprecedented) in the specific circumstances of this case.

They are usually brought in when the government (federal or state) is a defendant or plaintiff in a suit. Boundary disputes between states used to be a big thing and almost always involved special masters. Special Masters are generally just some outside party appointed by the court to do something specific for them (usually by handling something that would otherwise bias the court or could result in the appearance of bias). It happens in everything from civil/family custody cases to federal government prosecutions.

This situation with Trump is unprecedented in a lot of ways, so basically everything about it is uncommon. But, the judge is essentially acting as if Trump is still the President or some kind of previously non-existent concept of "Ex-Presidential Privilege" exists. It is extremely deferential to Trump and has literally never happened before in a case like this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

small butter posted:

Edit: it reminds me of the people who (used to?) howl about Sharia Law in their towns, where everyone is white and no Muslims exist. I always thought, you're giving your bumfuck town too much credit here, Muslims don't want to live there, buddy.

The increasing polarization both in the US and elsewhere seems to be a symptom of two or more groups having a complete, fundamental disagreement on the subject of "what things are good?"

It's no longer a question of "how important are these priorities, relatively speaking, and how do we achieve them most effectively?" but rather two views, almost completely opposed to one another, of what society itself should look like. And I think people on both sides fall into the trap of believing that the other side does not earnestly want they claim to want, which is why people on the left are shocked that the right finally did what they said they wanted to do, and were going to do, on abortion, and why people on the right are treating this ridiculous and cruel Martha's Vineyard stunt as a way of "owning the libs."

Remember the grave threat of "taco trucks on every corner"? I have to accept that some portion of the population -- complete weirdos who I could never be friends with -- would view that as a bad thing, instead of a valid goal to work toward. Likewise, those weirdos don't get that, to a lot of us, the horrible hellworld they attempt to describe is actually what we want.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

RBA Starblade posted:

My understanding is they tend to crop up in cases that'll be politically sensitive, extremely time consuming, or where it'd otherwise be an issue of optics or logistics (typically the latter) for the judge to make the decisions themselves.

The tiny grain of sanity in the Trump bullshit is that if there is a need for thirdparty review (there isn't), and that covers extremely sensitive and protected docs (it shouldn't), you need a decisionmaker who can get (or ideally already has) the relevant clearances.

More common is what we saw with Rudy and what appears to be the case with LASD: There could be hundreds or thousands of seized documents that might be privileged and it's going to take more time than the judge has to review them all. In the LASD case, it helps that while you should never trust the cops to decide on their own, these fucks have given ample reason to doubt that they'd follow the law when reviewing the docs.

Again, IANAL, but my understanding over the past few years (reaffirmed with Rudy) is that the easiest way to understand is a judge saying "I don't wanna" and delegating the work to someone else.

Some 2017 examples from some special master salesperson/advocate

quote:

Moran v. Moran, 2017 WL 5339638, (Ariz. App. 1st Div. Nov. 14, 2017) (affirming the family court’s adoption of the Special Master’s recommendation to alter parenting time).

Viad Corp v. U.S. Steel Corp., 2017 WL 4913744 (Ga. Ct. App. Oct. 31, 2017) (in a property contamination case, reversing summary judgment and remanding for determination of apportionment of liability between defendants, and directing the Special Master to resolve discovery disputes).

City of Marietta v. Summerour, 2017 WL 4870931 (Ga. Oct. 30, 2017) (in an eminent domain action, affirming the trial court's adoption of the Special Master’s assessment of property value, but reversing the order of condemnation because the city had failed to fulfill a statutory prerequisite).

Heck v. Valentin, 2017 WL 4786225 (Pa. Super. Ct. Oct. 24, 2017) (in a divorce case, affirming the trial court’s adoption of the Special Master’s equitable distribution, including valuation of two of the husband’s classic cars).

Harrington v. Harrington, 92 Mass. App. Ct. 1109 (Mass. Ct. App. Oct. 16, 2017) (in a divorce case, affirming the trial court’s order appointing a Special Master for the purpose of selling the martial home).

Lewis v. Sivertree Mohave Homeowners’ Association, Inc., 2017 WL 5495816 (N.D. Cal. Nov. 16, 2017) (in a fair-housing and anti-discrimination class action, granting the motion for class settlement and appointing a Special Master to handle any further litigation regarding the fee award).

Cachet Fin. Services v. C&J Associates, Inc., 2017 WL 5479652, (N.D. Cal. Nov. 15, 2017) (in a statutory interpleader action, denying plaintiff’s request for fees and costs and staying litigation of counterclaims pending completion of the Special Master’s report on distribution of the interpleaded funds).

Fisher v. Tucson Unified School Dist., 2017 WL 5167238 (D. Ariz. Nov. 8, 2017) (adopting the Special Master’s recommendations for a School District’s required teacher ratios and school budgets).

In re Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liab. Litig., 2017 WL 5133177 (E.D. La. Nov. 6, 2017) (in a product’s liability class action, affirming the Special Master’s decision denying settlement benefits to claimants).

The Coal. for Equity and Excellence in Maryland Higher Educ. v. Maryland Higher Educ. Comm’n, 2017 WL 5171111 (D. Md. Nov. 8, 2017) (in a case involving Maryland’s historically black institutions, appointing a Special Master to oversee remedial integration plans).

Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Horton, 2017 WL 5157841 (M.D. Fla. Nov. 7, 2017) (appointing a Special Master to oversee a property foreclosure sale).

Bank of New York Mellon Tr. Co., v. Sock, 2017 WL 5127320 (S.D. Ga. Nov. 3, 2017) (in a property foreclosure case, appointing a Special Master to establish the plaintiff's standing, defendants' liability, and plaintiff's damages).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The best kind are the special special masters, the River Masters
They adjudicate water apportionment agreements for rivers that cross multiple states. The Supreme Court generally rubberstamps their decisions

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They're a fairly routine thing in large, complex cases where there's a lot of money at stake or some complicated issue that needs more oversight than the judge can personally provide. Presumably, you've never heard of them because you don't usually intimately follow the fine details of those kinds of lawsuits.

For example, the antitrust suit against Microsoft involved a special master, and so did Waymo v Uber.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

small butter posted:

This group isn't undocumented, they were inprocessed by cbp pending the rest of the immigration process. They're documented. :colbert:

or possibly have properly been accepted as refugees, in which case they're not 'unauthorized' either, which last I bothered checking was the preferred US government nomenclature and reasonably popular with some immigration advocates

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I was premature, it appears. Shortly after I posted that, the county did a small fraction of the needful and Sheriff's grumpy that his lawyer was shitcanned:
https://mobile.twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/1570852254646947845

In other premature news, FL's Dem slate (Uhlfelder is the AG candidate lost the AG primary) has started to rouse a bit after the DeSantis atrocity:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1570802394681999360
https://mobile.twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1570810523142492165

Financial shadiness is obviously nowhere near the biggest problem with this. But some folks appreciate variety :shrug:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 16, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
There's a real "camp guard" vibe to DeSantis' particular brand of nastiness, the way he finds humor in cruelty feels above and beyond even his contemporaries in the GOP. It may just be that he's actually doing all the things they've always wanted to do, but even still, something feels different about him.

That coupled with the fact that he can't give a press conference without 20 cops standing behind him and the in-the-tank reporters that he has't already thrown out, asking the questions, just skeeves.

The guy is a real piece of work.
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1570803548501446661

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 16, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paracaidas posted:

I was premature, it appears. Shortly after I posted that, the county did a small fraction of the needful and Sheriff's grumpy that his lawyer was shitcanned:
https://mobile.twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/1570852254646947845

In other premature news, FL's Dem slate (Uhlfelder is the AG candidate) has started to rouse a bit after the DeSantis atrocity:

Financial shadiness is obviously nowhere near the biggest problem with this. But some folks appreciate variety :shrug:
Aramis Ayala won the Dem AG primary in FL, just FYI

Uhlfelder was in that race but he lost

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

-Blackadder- posted:

There's a real "camp guard" vibe to DeSantis' particular brand of nastiness, the way he finds humor in cruelty feels above and beyond even his contemporaries in the GOP. It may just be that he's actually doing all the things they've always wanted to do, but even still, something feels different about him.

The guy is a real piece of work.
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1570803548501446661

Any tweet that involves "stop and watch this video" inherently annoys me, but i watched the dang video and A) the lady is an attorney representing or seeking to represent the migrants in this case, so she seems a plausibly reliable enough source, and B) there's a followup tweet somewhere quoting her accurately as accusing DHS employees (which sub-agency? dunno, maybe someone should write an article) of falsifying migrant addresses to get them on the planes. That, uh. That's pretty illegal.

e: and she also notes that as a result they would be in danger of being deported if they didn't check in at the closest DHS office to their randomly selected fake address, so that's real and legally demonstrable harm right there

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Aramis Ayala won the Dem AG primary in FL, just FYI

Uhlfelder was in that race but he lost
Oop, it's corrected now. Appreciate it!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Any tweet that involves "stop and watch this video" inherently annoys me, but i watched the dang video and A) the lady is an attorney representing or seeking to represent the migrants in this case, so she seems a plausibly reliable enough source, and B) there's a followup tweet somewhere quoting her accurately as accusing DHS employees (which sub-agency? dunno, maybe someone should write an article) of falsifying migrant addresses to get them on the planes. That, uh. That's pretty illegal.

e: and she also notes that as a result they would be in danger of being deported if they didn't check in at the closest DHS office to their randomly selected fake address, so that's real and legally demonstrable harm right there

Hopefully Biden tells DHS their cases now have to be suspended since these states mucked up the process.

Let me be clear, gently caress DeSantis.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hopefully Biden tells DHS their cases now have to be suspended since these states mucked up the process.

Let me be clear, gently caress DeSantis.

this doesn't seem like a thing where you have to suspend cases at DHS

it's a case where you arrest DHS agents

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

evilweasel posted:

¿Por que no los dos?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

idiotsavant posted:

¿Por que no los dos?

well if they're asylum applicants, you want to process their cases so they can get permanent asylum and eventually a green card

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

Yeah if they have enough evidence to state this on camera someone should normally be arrested.

Unless they're rich and white, in which case nothing will happen(eg Trump, DeSantis)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

evilweasel posted:

well if they're asylum applicants, you want to process their cases so they can get permanent asylum and eventually a green card

Absolutely, just hoping that immigration lawyers can use this to get favorable decisions/stays/etc for their clients and that some people get, at the very least, fired with a vengeance

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's just a ridiculous stunt, which is as stupid as it is cruel.

They specifically did this giving no notice, so they could act appalled that a tiny community couldn't respond to the sudden surprise, and even in that, they failed miserably because they don't understand that not everyone is as hateful and mean as they are. An unprepared community with few resources to deal with the problem they had just been delivered came together and dealt with it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

In other premature news, FL's Dem slate (Uhlfelder is the AG candidate lost the AG primary) has started to rouse a bit after the DeSantis atrocity:

Here's he at Vertol. Apparently it's a flight school with 4 full-time employees.

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1570856959665967106?s=20&t=cbjDU8WfHuYKevsfPhxvxA

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

It's just a ridiculous stunt, which is as stupid as it is cruel.

They specifically did this giving no notice, so they could act appalled that a tiny community couldn't respond to the sudden surprise, and even in that, they failed miserably because they don't understand that not everyone is as hateful and mean as they are. An unprepared community with few resources to deal with the problem they had just been delivered came together and dealt with it.

It's not stupid, but it is cruel.

It's bait.

The uproar about how cruel it is, is just seen by the chuds as "Democrats suddenly confronted by the reality of illegal immigration". Check out Gym Jordan or Mike Pompeo or any other twitter mouthpiece of the GOP.

The libs got owned and are only now finding out the true cost of their open borders policy by allowing the southern menace in or whatever racist replacement theory bullshit they care about.

Basically any reaction to this at all is a win because nobody who's enjoying this stunt gives the slightest poo poo about facts or reality.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

It's not stupid, but it is cruel.

It's bait.

The uproar about how cruel it is, is just seen by the chuds as "Democrats suddenly confronted by the reality of illegal immigration". Check out Gym Jordan or Mike Pompeo or any other twitter mouthpiece of the GOP.

The libs got owned and are only now finding out the true cost of their open borders policy by allowing the southern menace in or whatever racist replacement theory bullshit they care about.

Basically any reaction to this at all is a win because nobody who's enjoying this stunt gives the slightest poo poo about facts or reality.

I don't think it's fair to call it bait in that there's no reaction that wouldn't allow the right to make hay out of it. The act only makes sense in their distorted reality and any reaction including none will be seen through that distortion making it meaningless what you actually do.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think it's fair to call it bait in that there's no reaction that wouldn't allow the right to make hay out of it. The act only makes sense in their distorted reality and any reaction including none will be seen through that distortion making it meaningless what you actually do.

No, I mean there's literally no way to avoid the right making hay out of it. It's a stunt that is going to be 100% successful because, as was stated previously, just the act of doing it is "owning the libs".

We should absolutely help and take care of those people. But the actual stunt is a very successful and smart bit of fascism, because fascists are easily pleased.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Remember Fox News is going to be whining about immigration in September of an election year no matter what. MAGAGREG1977 on Truth Social will believe what Desantis says, but it's not clear how many people that aren't extremely online Republicans will buy the story.

I mean the extremely online Republican talking point is still "Democrats want immigrants to stay in red states" which is obviously something they wrote before the stunt and didn't update to match the events.

edit: if the criteria for success are "MAGAGREG1977 thought it owned the libs" then yeah it worked, but (1) I don't think it matters much what he thinks (2) he also thinks farting into a live microphone owns the libs

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 16, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think there's a decent point to be made that, just as in the EU, it's not reasonable to expect any single region/state/city/country to deal with a massive influx of asylum seekers, not because asylum seekers are inherently awful or anything, but because it does require resources and given that seeking asylum is a human right, it is the responsibility of everyone to step up and help.

That being said, are any of their efforts going into solving that particular problem? No! They conned a bunch of asylum seekers onto a plane and flew them to an island that's probably uniquely unsuited to handle them without preparation or notice, to score some cheap political points.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

This is unfortunately unsurprising in a lot of ways. OKC is a nexus for drug and human trafficking because of the intersections of I-40 (coast to coast), I-35 (border to border) and 1-44 (Chicago). As someone who lives within 20 miles of the discussed compound I am not shocked by this one bit.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I thought for a moment the stunt might backfire once it became apparent how welcoming the people of Martha’s Vineyard have been to the migrants and how much sympathy is being shown to their plight, but of course the right wing media is still running headlines like “Martha’s Vineyard residents furious at migrant caravan’s arrival at their doorstop” and pretending the left are super annoyed by their presence and are being totally hypocritical.

Reality is fully irrelevant. It’s whatever they say it is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
regressive media will always be regressive media, but if main stream media and CNN???? frame it as heartless regressive doing bad things, maybe a few more low info people can do things that help Rs lose?

e: also the event is like less than a day old?? once gain The R Media Machine needs time to make a message, so check back monday.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 17, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1570849607743320064?s=21&t=lHFkgavdVICpsHZUEZi3wg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

I think there's a decent point to be made that, just as in the EU, it's not reasonable to expect any single region/state/city/country to deal with a massive influx of asylum seekers, not because asylum seekers are inherently awful or anything, but because it does require resources and given that seeking asylum is a human right, it is the responsibility of everyone to step up and help.

That being said, are any of their efforts going into solving that particular problem? No! They conned a bunch of asylum seekers onto a plane and flew them to an island that's probably uniquely unsuited to handle them without preparation or notice, to score some cheap political points.

I mean isn't this reframing Republican talking points about how blue states say they love immigration but let's see how they handle immigrants? Like Boston, New York, Chicago, LA, DC, Philly don't have massive immigrant influx.