Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Alright how do I make Magnum Opus playable? Because by default it makes everything so dark I can’t see anything without using my flashlight, and I’m really not in the mood for Doom 3. Would be cool to be able to actually stealth.

I checked the discord and saw somebody ask how to make things lighter and they were mocked by the author and some others for asking, so I’m not about to ask there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Not really sure because it doesn't use an enb. I also don't really do magnum opus anymore because yeah, that dude is really unpleasant.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Alright how do I make Magnum Opus playable? Because by default it makes everything so dark I can’t see anything without using my flashlight, and I’m really not in the mood for Doom 3. Would be cool to be able to actually stealth.

I checked the discord and saw somebody ask how to make things lighter and they were mocked by the author and some others for asking, so I’m not about to ask there.

There's a mod called Interiors Enhanced that darkens interiors that you could try disabling. Failing that, an ENB or turning up your monitor brightness. There's not really any way of adjusting the lighting in FO4 otherwise, for some dumb reason.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Anybody tried out Life in the Ruins and are able to give a rundown on it? I've never really done a survival run in FO4 before and I'm interested in trying it out but every list but that one appears to be focused on crushing balls in vices.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Is there a mod pack that basically turns off the main quest and settlement building entirely, and turns the game into a survival-horror kinda thing like where you gotta do delving into ruins to find bits to improve your little hideout? And more valuable items are in more dangerous items?

Saw this video last night and it really pinged that part of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLYDcEM8e9Q

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod pack that basically turns off the main quest and settlement building entirely, and turns the game into a survival-horror kinda thing like where you gotta do delving into ruins to find bits to improve your little hideout? And more valuable items are in more dangerous items?

I don't know if it's what you want (because I haven't played it) but you might look into a mod called Frost.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

There's a list on wabbajack called whispering chills. No idea what it is or what's in it but it has a horror theme.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bremen posted:

I don't know if it's what you want (because I haven't played it) but you might look into a mod called Frost.

Frost is pretty good for removing all quests and familiar NPCs and locations (iirc it's set in 2087 instead of 2287) entirely, in favour of lore you can follow if you want, but don't really need to.

Unfortuantely the edited dialog is pretty bad, some of the dialog choices don't make any sense Non-synth Nick Valentine has a "quest" but because there are no quests it's kinda hosed up in the first place if you've already done stuff out of order, also your dialog choices make absolutely zero sense and sometimes don't even match what you actually say, and the responses rarely have anything to do with what you've said (maybe this is because of insanity? There's a sanity level and you lose sanity by killing essentially anything). Then there's the thing that made me realize Frost wasn't for me - there's no real reward or progression for anything ever. If you play 10 minutes of Frost you have already experienced pretty much all Frost has to offer. There's no incentive to keep playing when you know it's just going to be the same thing over and over. That's with all the content added from the Frost guide.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout 4: Frost and Fallout New Vegas: Dust are fun walking simulators with pretty atmospheres (when the graphics don't break and turn everything into searing neon) and insta-death every five minutes, and are pretty much whatever you want to make of them story-wise, which can be a fun Fallout experience, but not likely something you'd want constantly

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Whoever recommended Baka Scrapheap: Thank you 1000x! Sim Settlements 2 doesn't crash on me anymore.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.fallout4experiences.com/ Has a few modlists on Wabbajack, specifically Whispering Chills and Lost World.

Not a full modlist but a mod by SKK with a few specific requirements https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/60305
I haven't played it but it looked interesting. Supposedly makes it a bit of a State of Decay like experience.

https://skkmods.com/mod/fallout-476-open-world/ Removes all human NPCS and lets you customize the world a fair bit. Also haven't played it but I heard it has a lot of options.

These tend to be more on the "turns off main quest" rather than removing settlement building. I think the survival horror mods still like using settlements as home bases.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Frost has the Insanity mechanic, special perks for being insane/being right on the line of insanity (Slayer of Metal Men give you melee buffs vs. robots, but a debuff to Energy Resistance, IIRC, and you can't take the perk if you're sane), and you can mitigate sanity loss by way of eating (cooked food, mostly, unless it's cannibalism), drugs (Mentats/Thorazine (which I still haven't found)) or alcohol. Going insane buffs your melee in general, debuffs your ranged accuracy (like, down to zero, unless you quickscope), tanks your Charisma, and gives you audio and visual (supposedly) hallucinations.

Radiation is much more prevalent than in vanilla, as the War just happened, so I hope you're not one that likes taking shortcuts through the water. Or being outside in general, as radstorms occur frequently. Feral ghouls emit a radiation aura, especially the glowing ones, and *they* can resurrect dead ghouls with an AoE radiation burst. (Always headshot ferals.) Water is a requirement, and comes in dirty (radioactive)(containers or piped/open bodies), which can also cause disease, boiled (rads, no disease) and clean/purified; you can boil your own if you have dirty, and wood for the fire, and you can purify if you have the single-use water filters (buy ($$) or make from schematics and components). (Not sure if the settlement purifiers will do for this, haven't tried that yet.)

Disease - eating radioactive grody sweet rolls from the postapocalyptic floor isn't a good idea. Injuries (especially from creatures) can infect, you you'll need either healing ($$$, if you can find a doc) or antibiotics (usually found in hospitals, and we all know how much fun even vanilla can be there).

Guns are mostly hammed poo poo - low quality/damage/reliability, but don't worry, ammo tends to be rare. (Or stupid-expensive from merchants. And still low quantities.) However, Frost is unleveled, so you might find a Fat Man right way like I did. (In the hands of a power-armored Army Remnant, so I got sent to murdertown.)

Speaking of power armor and (some) merchants, and workbenches/crafting stations: there's a lot still in the same locations as vanilla. PA can be anything from Raider junk to T-60 (locked-up PA is military), and may be complete, or less so, down to bare frames. Fusion cores are *rare*, except in the vanilla generator locations. But, PA provides protection against the radiation, not to mention enemy attack, and increases your carry weight.

And you *want* increased carry weight. Because everything has weight. And overloading slows you down. (Will the wolves catch you before the radstorm hits?) Not just slows you... *can cause injury*. (The wolves will win, because you were hauling so much poo poo you broke a leg.)

That broken leg? Magic Stimpack won't fixed crippled limbs - you need a doctor ($$$) or specialized medical supplies (buy ($$), loot or craft).

So, you've got a broken leg, have an ongoing tic from disease eating your health, radstorm is here and bursting up to 60 rad/sec at times, you have a mostly-destroyed sawed-off rifle and eight rounds of ammo, you're so insane you can't hit anything even at point-blank range, but you've been saved from the wolves!

Because cannibals (or a warbot) have shown up, killed the wolves, and know when you are.

Welcome to Frost.

(And I'm not even running Hardcore/permadeath.)

This is the YouTube playthrough that dragged me back to FO4 again. Dude is much better player than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2n9oQb30xg

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

Whoever recommended Baka Scrapheap: Thank you 1000x! Sim Settlements 2 doesn't crash on me anymore.

Its a good tool!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I haven't played Frost in years, but I remember how all the humans are just labeled Survivor or something, and you have no idea if they are bandits or civilians.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

AgentHaiTo posted:

I haven't played Frost in years, but I remember how all the humans are just labeled Survivor or something, and you have no idea if they are bandits or civilians.

Only humans I haven't seen ID'd as "Survivor" have been (Metro) Federation, (Metro) Alliance, (Psycho) Maldenmen and (Psycho) Themis Cultists. Even the wandering/fixed surface merchants show as Survivor. (Have only found two wanderers, and three fixed-location traders: the one up the fire escape near Customs Hour Tower, the drug dealer near the robot repair shop south of the hospital downtown, and the Cat House near the vanilla Gunner overpass roadblock, west of Lexington.)

"Civilians" will warn you (sometimes) before going aggro, and will show up highlighted in yellow in VATS.

Until they start attacking. At that point they're bandits, and are treated as such. <sucks down eight quarts of bourbon, 12 Mentats and a dozen dog steaks to make the voices go away>

(You can see this in one of the early Wanderer videos, where he has to try and slip past the guys down in the subway without pissing them off.)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So how is modding on steam deck for fallout 4 if anyone's tried it? Just through creator kit unless you want to get complicated? Edit: oh creators club stuff is paid mods huh well forget that then

I'm sort of tempted by one and would like a sort of fallout 4 Plus experience and I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to mods

NLJP fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 21, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well first step is see if mo2 or vortex has a Linux build and go from there I guess. Failing that you could install manually and everything should work no idea if f4se would work though.

Theora Jones
May 11, 2008
Can't speak for Steam Deck but I've played Fallout 4 with F4SE using MO2 with no problems on Linux (Fedora). Granted this was all installed through Lutris which made it a piece of cake. This was a few years back so I've no useful memories of what I had to do to get it working other than being shocked by how little effort was required. Googling for 'lutris steam deck' returns some promising links so you might be in luck.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

NLJP posted:

So how is modding on steam deck for fallout 4 if anyone's tried it? Just through creator kit unless you want to get complicated? Edit: oh creators club stuff is paid mods huh well forget that then

I'm sort of tempted by one and would like a sort of fallout 4 Plus experience and I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to mods

I imagine it would work just fine on the deck since I'm running a modded Fallout 4 on Garuda linux perfectly, just install Fallout 4 and then change the compatibility to Steam Tinker Launch (https://github.com/frostworx/steamtinkerlaunch) and installed ModOrganizer 2 via that. Had to manually download F4SE and then point MO2 to it but it runs great with 183 active mods.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Meant to post this here, oops

Sim Settlements 2 large content expansion ("Headquarters 2.0")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLt7FddSos

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sim Settlements 2 is a mod that would be a lot more enjoyable to me without the Settlements. I like the story a lot but the settlement system feels even jankier than the already bad vanilla experience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it can get pretty obtrusive at times, yeah. It's annoying how many of the quests is gated behind an obscure build threshold like "must have 5 poo poo percolators at level 3" or whatever.

I really miss Conqueror, where you're directly encouraged to tell the main quest to go gently caress itself

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Which of these modlists is the most over the top reinvention of FO4 preferably with more rpg stuff rather than necessarily hardcore survival gunplay? I got a 3080 so gimme all the poorly optimized graphics bling, but I'm curious how different fo4 can be from when I last played in 2017.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm replying to my own post but Life In The Ruins seems like the only FO4 modlist that's comparable to the big Skyrim modlists. It has some quirks as the author plays on a controller so some what I consider mods are missing but they are easily added. Overall, it does a great job of really transforming FO4 and I think its greener overgrown environment is by far the best I've ever seen the game look. It has some solid expanded quest mods and nothing half-baked or cringy so far.

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start. I'm surprised most FO4 modlists don't even use the Stock Game feature which makes for a more stable experience especially if you want to run multiple lists. I had assumed FO4 modding was comparable to Skyrim but it seems to have slowed down within a couple years of release. I'm not sure if that's just the enthusiasm gap between Fallout and TES or about the specific inequities of FO4. Still, LiTR has enough to keep me busy.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm replying to my own post but Life In The Ruins seems like the only FO4 modlist that's comparable to the big Skyrim modlists. It has some quirks as the author plays on a controller so some what I consider mods are missing but they are easily added. Overall, it does a great job of really transforming FO4 and I think its greener overgrown environment is by far the best I've ever seen the game look. It has some solid expanded quest mods and nothing half-baked or cringy so far.

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start. I'm surprised most FO4 modlists don't even use the Stock Game feature which makes for a more stable experience especially if you want to run multiple lists. I had assumed FO4 modding was comparable to Skyrim but it seems to have slowed down within a couple years of release. I'm not sure if that's just the enthusiasm gap between Fallout and TES or about the specific inequities of FO4. Still, LiTR has enough to keep me busy.

What the heck is the "Stock Game feature?" This is something I've never heard of.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Several skyrim modlists and I think just life in the ruins on the FO4 side do a thing where they install their own copy of the vanilla game files to run off of rather than using your existing install of the game. Since everything's all in one big installation folder this way it helps with stability and load times, with the caveat being it takes a few extra gigs on your drive.

And yeah, of the FO4 modlists I tried I think Life in the Ruins wound up being the better one, tho FO4 lists in general are quite a bit behind Skyrim last I checked.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
That's what Mod Organizer does - keeps all the mod stuff in a seperate directory and just calls up what it needs; think the only changes to the default install directory are adding FOSE and the like.

Speaking of mods, caught a YubTub video last night, "Fallout 4: Defending Lexington from the Covenant as an ODST". Good LORD the changes... Lexington was overgrown like a Mayan ruin that hadn't been seen since the Spanish came. Couldn't figure out the visual modes (seemed to be switchable), but never played HALO, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWice4aFvCs

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

That's what Mod Organizer does - keeps all the mod stuff in a seperate directory and just calls up what it needs; think the only changes to the default install directory are adding FOSE and the like.

The "Stock Game" feature being discussed here involves creating a clone of the default install directory. That clone is the one you'd be adding script extenders and such to, leaving the default one entirely unchanged. This way you don't need to reinstall the game just because you'll be using a slightly different set of files in your install folder. This also means you can have multiple separate modded game installations at the same time without any conflicts.

It's sort of a spiritual expansion of the original ideas behind Mod Organizer (and does very much rely on it to function).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start.

What sort of bugs were there? Would like to help get those fixed up.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start.

Having installed MO myself and having spent some time on the creator's discord, the overwhelming majority of people who complain about it being a buggy mess are the ones who didn't follow the directions or read any associated readmes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

dolphinbomb posted:

Having installed MO myself and having spent some time on the creator's discord, the overwhelming majority of people who complain about it being a buggy mess are the ones who didn't follow the directions or read any associated readmes.

Having run support for the list for quite a while, I can confirm this.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ThaumPenguin posted:

The "Stock Game" feature being discussed here involves creating a clone of the default install directory. That clone is the one you'd be adding script extenders and such to, leaving the default one entirely unchanged. This way you don't need to reinstall the game just because you'll be using a slightly different set of files in your install folder. This also means you can have multiple separate modded game installations at the same time without any conflicts.

It's sort of a spiritual expansion of the original ideas behind Mod Organizer (and does very much rely on it to function).

What little MO does install into the game directory - F4SE and the like - is required across most modern modlists for the game, so the distinction you're drawing is almost meaningless. MO leaves the vanilla game executables and data completely unmodified, without needing to make an entirely separate copy of the game.

In fact, I think the "Stock Game" feature is the less-efficient method.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

F4SE also takes a couple seconds at most to uninstall, you just delete its folders and .exe's and it's gone. I don't know of any utilities that actually overwrite any vanilla files.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

What little MO does install into the game directory - F4SE and the like - is required across most modern modlists for the game, so the distinction you're drawing is almost meaningless. MO leaves the vanilla game executables and data completely unmodified, without needing to make an entirely separate copy of the game.

In fact, I think the "Stock Game" feature is the less-efficient method.

The Stock Game method relies entirely on MO2. It's a supplement, not a competing practice.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It's also specifically something done with big modlists that have a shitload of their own bespoke patches and stuff, you don't do it for a list that doesn't need a bunch of compatibility BS done for it in the first place. It's a concept created to make installation and troubleshooting easier. I don't think anyone's trying to create a new paradigm or whatever this suddenly turned into an argument about.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah it's just like, a nice thing to have.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
You all should check out the Nvidia GTC Keynote video from today. Their new RTX Remix software looks pretty drat promising.

You can read about it here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

The possible ability to add proper ray tracing to fallout 4 goes well beyond putting tits on a mole rat. Gentlemen, I believe we may soon be putting tits on the DX11 renderer itself.

Edit: Corrected for DX version.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 20, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
FO4 is DX11, though, no?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

FO4 is DX11, though, no?

this is what extrwi, a SK/FOSE dev, said about this

quote:

This is a lot more limited than it probably sounds. Despite talking about Skyrim in their announcement, they require much earlier games: "NVIDIA RTX Remix will launch soon, making it easy to remaster supported DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 games with fixed function graphics pipelines." Key point here being "fixed function graphics pipelines". Even Oblivion required shader model 1.1, which is newer than that. I haven't checked, but there might be a minspec code pipeline hanging around in the Netimmerse code that still works, but I doubt it.

In other words, this appears to only work on games that were compatible with the GeForce 2.

The fixed function graphics pipeline is important because games designed around it didn't do lighting and mesh transformations with their own code. They passed mesh data and light positions in to DirectX, and the video driver handled it from there. This means it's very simple to figure out what is being drawn. Once you move past that in to the programmable vertex pipeline era, games used their own code being run on the video card to calculate lighting and position vertices on the screen. Without doing some complex analysis of the shaders, you can't easily turn those back in to a list of lights and meshes to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

turn off the TV posted:

this is what extrwi, a SK/FOSE dev, said about this

Thanks, appreciate the reality check.