Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the soundtrack of p5 was top tier imo. my fav of the ones i've played honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I stopped after the first dungeon of P5 and i'm starting to think that was the right call lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I also thought the difficulty fell off really fast after the first dungeon. I think like the third was a little challenging again but the rest was pretty easy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

P5 has a ton of style and charm IMO but the plot is a mess and really kinda fucks itself up thematically (again except for the Royal chapter)

The core Phantom Thief concept is great and a couple of the dungeon storylines are pretty good, too. Soundtrack is top tier, combat is great, too. Though I'd also agree it's too easy, and Royal only made it easier with the exception of one huge difficulty spike boss in the 5th dungeon. I still found the core mechanics a lot of fun to play with but yeah it's hard to ever be in any danger of a game over once you have even a basic idea of how to play.

Someone else earlier posted that 3 has the best story, 4 the best cast, and 5 the best gameplay and I'd agree with that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

5 on hard was pretty tough all the way through, think i had at least one wipe on every boss, but my buddy played on normal and said th difficulty fell off immediately yeh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fungah! posted:

my biggest problem wth persona 5 other thn all the other stuff people say is the ending. whole game the theme is ITS TIME FOR KIDS TO TAKE OVER THE FUTURE AND DESTROY lovely ADULTS nd then the ending is you kids did enough, now its time for the adults you spent 100+ hours tryin to tear down to do their work. felt like a big wet fart, plus all the other stuff people say about how none of th bad guys other than kamoshida are any kind of interesting, all the slinks suck rear end, etc. its got the best mechanics in persona and great style/soundtracjk but the writing just isnt fuckin there and it sucks rear end!!

the bad guy politician is like they knew they needed a politician villain but didn't want it to be specific so he's actually bad because he got joker expelled last year lol

the bad guy of the extra rerelease chapter is kind of cool where the game isn't really even explicit that he's actually doing anything wrong, and you can even side with him and get an alternate ending which I always love

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

5 on hard was pretty tough all the way through, think i had at least one wipe on every boss, but my buddy played on normal and said th difficulty fell off immediately yeh

Even on hard I never really had much trouble after the first dungeon, though it also never got easy enough that I was bored so that was all I really cared about. Royal made it easier by adding new mechanics that make the player more powerful but not really buffing enemies to match, with the exception of the 5th dungeon boss who is a huge difficulty spike (and a lot easier on Merciless due to a quirk of the mechanics)

I don't really remember my vanilla playthrough that well difficulty-wise, I think I did wipe on a few bosses on hard then, and the occasional encounter that just goes sideways instantly

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the bad guy of the extra rerelease chapter is kind of cool where the game isn't really even explicit that he's actually doing anything wrong, and you can even side with him and get an alternate ending which I always love

The extra chapter is cool because the conflict feels a lot more personal and I think that's what ties together all of the dungeon plotlines that I think are actually good (the first dungeon, Futaba's dungeon, and the Royal one). They're all really personal for the characters and have antagonists who really stand out on a thematic level

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Even on hard I never really had much trouble after the first dungeon, though it also never got easy enough that I was bored so that was all I really cared about. Royal made it easier by adding new mechanics that make the player more powerful but not really buffing enemies to match, with the exception of the 5th dungeon boss who is a huge difficulty spike (and a lot easier on Merciless due to a quirk of the mechanics)

I don't really remember my vanilla playthrough that well difficulty-wise, I think I did wipe on a few bosses on hard then, and the occasional encounter that just goes sideways instantly

The extra chapter is cool because the conflict feels a lot more personal and I think that's what ties together all of the dungeon plotlines that I think are actually good (the first dungeon, Futaba's dungeon, and the Royal one). They're all really personal for the characters and have antagonists who really stand out on a thematic level

Is the fifth dungeon boss Haru's dad? That one nearly got the game calmly placed in a sock drawer for me lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hope the long wait for SMTV PC is because they’re making SMTV++. I could buy it on Switch but I’ve held out this long, so

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

Yeah and the last chapter feels like a legitimate conflict of ideas that the base game doesn't because it's way too vague about "adults are bad"

i don't think I'd recommend the expanded version if you outright disliked the base game but i was surprised how much of a difference even small changes made. like they add these little hangouts during free time where you go out with someone and another social link character shows up and it's amazing how much more lifelike the characters are when they're interacting with each other and not just talking to your blank-slate protagonist

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is the fifth dungeon boss Haru's dad? That one nearly got the game calmly placed in a sock drawer for me lol

They added stuff to all the bosses in Royal and they made that one way harder for no real reason. It's legitimately the only difficult encounter in the whole game but it's in a really bullshit way.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I am excited to play persona 5 on pc and this thread is a freakin minefield lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i think ive said this before but 5 would be 100x better if it had made akechi the actual fuckin villain. phantom thief/master detective stuff is way better if they're actually goin against each other and they basically dont except for the one stupid chapter. tie all the smaller villains except kamoshida to akechi somehow, like he's in charge of this big villainous org to take over japan where the painter provides the money and taking him down clues the villains in to you, the yakuza guy does the muscle, the politician is super corrupt and working for akechi instead of being a boring dude. final palace is akechi's palace where he's actively fuckin with you while you infiltrate it, then when you win yaldabaoth does his thing, then th ending is your friends bust you out of jail and you're on the run. idk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's the one, insane difficulty spike.

He's actually a lot easier on Merciless because Merciless makes hitting weaknesses do way more damage, so it's a lot easier to wipe out all the waves of adds instantly without really making the rest of the fight any more dangerous.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

but also you'd have to not write akechi like a turd muffin

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's the one, insane difficulty spike.

He's actually a lot easier on Merciless because Merciless makes hitting weaknesses do way more damage, so it's a lot easier to wipe out all the waves of adds instantly without really making the rest of the fight any more dangerous.

lol ok I remember this now, I eventually stopped playing royal afterwards anyway but this almost did it for me, this boss sucked so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

but also you'd have to not write akechi like a turd muffin

That's another reason the added Royal chapter is cool because it does a lot more with Akechi, both actually developing him as a character and expanding on his rivalry/hosed up friendship with Joker

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: akechi this is a big spoiler for the extra chapter but my actual favorite part is there's a segment where akechi is in the navigator role and despite this lasting for like 15 minutes they bothered to record an entire set of nav lines for him doing his twisted psycho path voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR79V9DCkVk

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Professor Latency posted:

I am excited to play persona 5 on pc and this thread is a freakin minefield lol

I still liked the game a lot, played it for almost 160 hours and plan on doing a NG+ at some point after I finish the other SMTs and Personas I’ve got. Gripes about the story don’t bring down the rest of it for me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

5's theme was always going to end up shooting itself in the foot because Japanese creators can't write anything about rebelling or taking down the system without concluding that you need to grow out of thos and become a salaryman

I tried 3 back not long after it came out when everyone was raving about it and I really did not like it at all, I really hating not having control of the party members which I know is resolved in P3P and also I was a self-conscious little freak who thought it was "too anime" or whatever. I'll probably try 4 at some point

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah and the last chapter feels like a legitimate conflict of ideas that the base game doesn't because it's way too vague about "adults are bad"

i don't think I'd recommend the expanded version if you outright disliked the base game but i was surprised how much of a difference even small changes made. like they add these little hangouts during free time where you go out with someone and another social link character shows up and it's amazing how much more lifelike the characters are when they're interacting with each other and not just talking to your blank-slate protagonist

its too goddamn long to ever replay again. e: much like barnacle jims face [dead] but unlike miachel m's big long you know what

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

5's theme was always going to end up shooting itself in the foot because Japanese creators can't write anything about rebelling or taking down the system without concluding that you need to grow out of thos and become a salaryman

I tried 3 back not long after it came out when everyone was raving about it and I really did not like it at all, I really hating not having control of the party members which I know is resolved in P3P and also I was a self-conscious little freak who thought it was "too anime" or whatever. I'll probably try 4 at some point

yeah having Mitsuru repeatedly attempt to use Marin Karin on the enemies was pretty lame but I also did love the little card matching minigame after fights where you could choose whether to get MP refilled or extra MP or whatever after a fight, bring that poo poo back

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

heeeey my joycons have got the drift. wonderful.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

this happens to all of them eventually. Just spray wd-40 inside them until that stops working and then you have to publicly declare protest, re-enact Mishima's coup, etc

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

bees x1000 posted:

After the third time this happened I picked up an 8bitdo pro controller and never looked back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this happens to all of them eventually. Just spray wd-40 inside them until that stops working and then you have to publicly declare protest, re-enact Mishima's coup, etc
This. Mine actually fixed themselves entirely after like a year of drowning them in wd-40 every few months.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

This. Mine actually fixed themselves entirely after like a year of drowning them in wd-40 every few months.

one of mine stopped working completely last week, which I've been expecting since I carefully and flawlessly poured an entire bottle of cider into it last year, but I wasn't sure why it had finally bitten the dust so I left it alone for 48 hours then held the shoulder buttons for 10 seconds on a whim and now it works 100% fine

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
my xbox controller drifted a few months ago so i just bought a new one off amazon and then returned it with the bad one in the box ✌️

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

elf help book posted:

my xbox controller drifted a few months ago so i just bought a new one off amazon and then returned it with the bad one in the box ✌️

Good poo poo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

elf help book posted:

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

elf help book posted:

Hell yeah

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

This is sick.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

elf help book posted:

nice

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

ftw

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i used to do that with my old consoles back in the day since I was poor, replaced my broken ps2 by pretending it was a gift from a family member at Walmart, just ignore that the back of my box has launch titles on it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one time I ordered a PC case and Amazon sent me two, so I sent one back and explained that I'd only ordered and paid for one, and they refunded me twice so essentially they paid me to take a PC case. Overworked Amazon warehouse guys ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

a few years ago someone stole my credit card number and bought 200 dollars worth of socks and underwear on amazon with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a few years ago someone stole my credit card number and bought 200 dollars worth of socks and underwear on amazon with it

Lmao